HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Our chance at a BIG #1 center! (Anaheim making players available)

Old
01-05-2012, 01:58 PM
Andros777

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
How about Plek and Subban for Getzlaf and Fowler. Keep the happy together in Anaheim!
They wouldn't accept that.

Andros777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:01 PM
WhiskeySeven
Bustchenyuk

Given:
Anaheim's financial troubles and Getzlaf's increasing salary (-value)
Bruce is a new coach and the team is still struggling (-)
Public declaration by the GM (--)
Stanley Cup Winner (++)
Big Centre (++++)
Canadian (+)
Not a noted goalscorer (-)
Always with Perry, the better player (-)

I'm just saying that Anaheim is in a position of weakness, but they can't and won't be able to take back Gionta, Cammy* or Gomez** because of their salary. Pleks, Kostitsyn, Moen, Weber, Campoli and Desharnais are the NHLers most likely to be moved to Anaheim. Kristo, Palushaj and Enqgvist are also trade bait players in the prospect pool. I don't think Tinordi, Beaulieu, Gallagher and Bournival are likely to be traded from the Habs.

Plekanec for Getzlaf isn't fair, but is still rather close because Pleks and Perry would be pretty sexy together, so we add in two of (Desharnais, Kostitsyn, Moen, Weber and Campoli) [sorted by value to the Habs] to balance the scales.

If Murray wants some more youth, you offer one or two of (Kristo, Palushaj or Enq) and demand something in return. Not Brett Festerling.

No 1sts and no high-reward prospects just a solid NHLer trade. I know AKost is a loved figure with some Habs fans but he is a UFA player and though he looks good with Eller I think we have too many wingers with Patches, Cole, Gionta and Cammy already encrusted in the top6.

If we do send over Pleks and Desharnais, who is pretty god-damned dynamite, Eller would definitely have to stand up every night and Gomez too.

*Cammy is due 7m each of the next two years for a 6m cap hit. Gionta is overpaid.
**Or would they? I ask from a strictly cap POV, like if we sent a 1st and Gomez for like Jason Blake, would they do it? Gomez gives almost 5m in cap relief over two years.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:01 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

A deal with Anaheim would have been entirely possible had the current management stinktank not pissed away draft picks and young resources in deals that accomplished nothing. As it is, no way Montreal can make a deal for Anaheim's top tier players.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:03 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
I personally think we need to think bigger, much bigger. It's the only way we're going to beat the Bruins. I'm thinking we're better off trading with an NFL team, get a good 6'6, 340lb lineman up front clearing up some space in front of the net. Try to get Adrian Peterson (maybe for Desharnais + picks) to man the point, imagine that dude making end to end rushes charging the net, HELLO! Wouldn't want to be Tim Thomas.

Also think we should sign Alistair Overeem (I hear he skates) as a free agent. Doubt anybody would lay a finger on one of our boys after that.
To beat Boston you play your own game and beat them, trying to beat them at what they do best is dumb. We have beat them a lot the last 10 years playing OUR game and not theirs.

Also, Boston plays a bit of the intimidation card and it helps them, but they are hardly a team of giants. In their top 9 they have Lucic and Horton who have good size, Lucic used to be very physical now not so much. Horton tried to be last year but he has backed off since his concussion. Chara can be physical at times and their depth forwards and d-men are moreso than ours...though Emelin and Blunden help.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Andros777

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Given:
Anaheim's financial troubles and Getzlaf's increasing salary (-value)
Bruce is a new coach and the team is still struggling (-)
Public declaration by the GM (--)
Stanley Cup Winner (++)
Big Centre (++++)
Canadian (+)
Not a noted goalscorer (-)
Always with Perry, the better player (-)

I'm just saying that Anaheim is in a position of weakness, but they can't and won't be able to take back Gionta, Cammy* or Gomez** because of their salary. Pleks, Kostitsyn, Moen, Weber, Campoli and Desharnais are the NHLers most likely to be moved to Anaheim. Kristo, Palushaj and Enqgvist are also trade bait players in the prospect pool. I don't think Tinordi, Beaulieu, Gallagher and Bournival are likely to be traded from the Habs.

Plekanec for Getzlaf isn't fair, but is still rather close because Pleks and Perry would be pretty sexy together, so we add in two of (Desharnais, Kostitsyn, Moen, Weber and Campoli) [sorted by value to the Habs] to balance the scales.

If Murray wants some more youth, you offer one or two of (Kristo, Palushaj or Enq) and demand something in return. Not Brett Festerling.

No 1sts and no high-reward prospects just a solid NHLer trade. I know AKost is a loved figure with some Habs fans but he is a UFA player and though he looks good with Eller I think we have too many wingers with Patches, Cole, Gionta and Cammy already encrusted in the top6.

If we do send over Pleks and Desharnais, who is pretty god-damned dynamite, Eller would definitely have to stand up every night and Gomez too.

*Cammy is due 7m each of the next two years for a 6m cap hit. Gionta is overpaid.
**Or would they? I ask from a strictly cap POV, like if we sent a 1st and Gomez for like Jason Blake, would they do it? Gomez gives almost 5m in cap relief over two years.
Well there's the oft mentioned disparity in Gomez' cap hit and his salary, which drops sharply the next few years. They may take him if we offer a lot of talent in addition.

Andros777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
A deal with Anaheim would have been entirely possible had the current management stinktank not pissed away draft picks and young resources in deals that accomplished nothing. As it is, no way Montreal can make a deal for Anaheim's top tier players.
Considering Murray came out and said that he isn't looking for picks and prospects, I'd say you pretty wrong about that one. He said he's looking to swap "core-type" players and not picks and prospects.

Also I don't see what dealing past year's draft picks has anything to do with trading for a player this year. The only pick we've lost this year is a 7th in the Nokelainen deal, but we also got a 5th back in the Wisniewski rights deal.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:06 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Huh?

They want young NHLers not picks or prospects.

LeBlanc Tinordi Kristo Ellis Quailer Bournival Beaulieu...the prospect pool is fine...and we still have all picks in 2012(ok no 7th)

Old
01-05-2012, 02:09 PM
Ubercron9000*

Its nice to have a number 1 centre but we need a good team overall. Our defense has been suspect all season long. Beaulieu and tinordi are defensive prospects that we shouldn't let go. Remember it was a winger named Mike that got us to the conferance finals with Halak.

Ubercron9000* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:10 PM
Natural Habs Fan

Not even going to speculate but if I were PG I would try to land Getzlaf by any means necessary.

Imagine if Boston made a deal for him?

Natural Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Habs Fan View Post
Not even going to speculate but if I were PG I would try to land Getzlaf by any means necessary.

If I were Boston, I'd hesitate on such a deal considering how good their team chemistry has been.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

http://twitter.com/helenenothelen

Probably just a frustrated GM

Old
01-05-2012, 02:26 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Huh?

They want young NHLers not picks or prospects.

LeBlanc Tinordi Kristo Ellis Quailer Bournival Beaulieu...the prospect pool is fine...and we still have all picks in 2012(ok no 7th)
You don't know what you are talking about. That current "pool" is horrible, and certainly doesn't even get you into a discussion about acquiring a talent like Getzlaf.

If Gainey/Gauthier had kept picks around the possibilities may have been there. Simply keeping McDonagh around would have given the GM the flexibility to put Subban's name into a discussion, you add another significant piece or 2 and it becomes a possibility. Then you tweak a deal.

As it is , Subban is the future and present, not to be touched if the team is to remain respectable. And who knows what players would have emerged if first and second round picks of the past had been kept.

As it is, it's the same old story. Montreal can't make a meaningful entry into a player sweepstake because there is a shortage of assets to exchange.

As I said, incompetence like this has to end under a new management regime for the team to improve.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:32 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
You don't know what you are talking about. That current "pool" is horrible, and certainly doesn't even get you into a discussion about acquiring a talent like Getzlaf.

If Gainey/Gauthier had kept picks around the possibilities may have been there. Simply keeping McDonagh around would have given the GM the flexibility to put Subban's name into a discussion, you add another significant piece or 2 and it becomes a possibility. Then you tweak a deal.

As it is , Subban is the future and present, not to be touched if the team is to remain respectable. And who knows what players would have emerged if first and second round picks of the past had been kept.

As it is, it's the same old story. Montreal can't make a meaningful entry into a player sweepstake because there is a shortage of assets to exchange.

As I said, incompetence like this has to end under a new management regime for the team to improve.
McDonagh is a completely diffferent type of player than Subban. Offensively his upside is not in the same stratosphere. Our pool of young players and prospects is among the best in the NHL, as good as any non "4-5 lottery pick" team(Pitssburgh Chicago etc).

Not sure what you're babbling about.

First, I doubt Anaheim is serious about trading Getzlaf.

Second, if they are I'm sure we have the assets to get him. Then it becomes a question of how much do you give up for a guy that will be UFA in 18 months and playing well below potential.

Looks like you are just desperately looking for a soapbox.

Old
01-05-2012, 02:32 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Habs Fan View Post

Boston is already set up for years thanks to Toronto and already has a great young hockey team with Krejci, Lucic, Bergeron, Marchand, Rask and company not even including their future star in Seguin and possibly Hamilton.

Team I'm worried about is the Leafs making a huge splash and picking up one of those players, would suck even more going forward

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:34 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Plekanec, Leblanc and Weber.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Boston is already set up for years thanks to Toronto and already has a great young hockey team with Krejci, Lucic, Bergeron, Marchand, Rask and company not even including their future star in Seguin and possibly Hamilton.

Team I'm worried about is the Leafs making a huge splash and picking up one of those players, would suck even more going forward
Toronto would have to trade Kessel to get Getzlaf.

Old
01-05-2012, 02:44 PM
OneSharpMarble

It would probably be Subban going the other way. It would be nice to finally have a true #1 centre

OneSharpMarble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Toronto would have to trade Kessel to get Getzlaf.
Doubt it. They will most probably move Grabovski, Schenn, Kulemin + for him and make him play on a line with Kessel

Wonder if Anaheim is interested in Gardiner and Lupul

Murray is going to get fleeced again by Burke!

Old
01-05-2012, 02:55 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix60 View Post
Pleks ++ for Jeff Carter? No way. I doubt I'd even do a one on one swap for him.
You're right...i meant more for Getzlaf.

I would do Pleks for Carter, but i agree not much more than that.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 03:05 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Doubt it. They will most probably move Grabovski, Schenn, Kulemin + for him and make him play on a line with Kessel

Grabovsky will be a UFA so little value.

Kulemin is playing like crap with his new contrcat.

Schenn has solid value but no way that package is even close. that's less than they got for Kaberle who was going to be a UFa and not the player Getzlaf is.

Old
01-05-2012, 03:11 PM
bjac

Quote:
Exactly which assets have montreal pissed away that would help them land Getzlaf, Perry or Ryan? Please, enlighten us.

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 03:12 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Grabovsky will be a UFA so little value.

Kulemin is playing like crap with his new contrcat.

Schenn has solid value but no way that package is even close. that's less than they got for Kaberle who was going to be a UFa and not the player Getzlaf is.
They sign Grabovski and deal him big deal. Kulemin is playing like crap I agree but so is Getzlaf so it's not an argument for the Ducks. Burke would fleece Murray again

Old
01-05-2012, 03:14 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
They sign Grabovski and deal him big deal. Kulemin is playing like crap I agree but so is Getzlaf so it's not an argument for the Ducks. Burke would fleece Murray again
The only deals Burke fleeces people are salary dumps(Lupul Phaneuf). The "big 3" in Anhaeim are far from that situation, they all make a 5 mil cap hit, yeah they have had a rough 1st half but still have full value or 95% of it.

Old
01-05-2012, 03:15 PM
bjac

Quote:

Habs can offer more than the Leafs at this point. Pleks, Cammy and Eller + are more valuable to the Ducks then the players you mentioned. Also the Leafs probably aren't going to trade their entire team during a potential playoff year to land a center just to play with Kessel. It would destroy their depth and ruin their year. The Habs on the other hand have a bit more flexibility because as it stands, they probably won't make the playoffs.

This is not to say that I believe either team will land one of these players, simply because there are other teams in the league who have much, much more to offer.

Old
01-05-2012, 03:18 PM
bjac

Quote:
What? Talk about overrating the Leafs players and underrating Getzlaf. The difference between the said Leaf players and Getzlaf is that Getzlaf has proven that he is a #1 centre, proven that he can be dominant in this league and done so by winning a cup. So you think Grabo and Kulemin have the value to be the centrepiece of a trade that puts Getzlaf in Toronto? Also, because of a slightly one sided deal in the past, the future is set in stone that it WILL happen again. Alright buddy, better hit that bong before the cherry cools.