HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lars Eller

Old
12-23-2011, 01:26 PM
stlweir

vCash: 500
Lars Eller

Here we are not quite a season and a half after the Eller - Halak trade. Who here thought Eller would not be a solid 20 goal NHL scorer? I thought you have to give to get. Eller scored 7 goals last year and is on pace to score the same this year. he's still young and may not be getting the ice time he wanted but I expected much more from him. FYI - Palushaj is scoreless in 15 games this season. Still looking like a one sided deal for the Blues in getting Dags.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 01:32 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
I never fully agreed with all the hype behind Eller. I still think he will be a solid 2 way player and can eventually get 50ish points, but I never agreed with the majority who thought he would be really good. Personally I think Montreal hurt his development, rushed him to the NHL and didn't play him in a situation to succeed.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
Here we are not quite a season and a half after the Eller - Halak trade. Who here thought Eller would not be a solid 20 goal NHL scorer? I thought you have to give to get. Eller scored 7 goals last year and is on pace to score the same this year. he's still young and may not be getting the ice time he wanted but I expected much more from him. FYI - Palushaj is scoreless in 15 games this season. Still looking like a one sided deal for the Blues in getting Dags.
Eller has a lot of the tools to be a good 2-way forward. He should be at least 20-27 goal scoring forward during his prime years. We should give him a little time. He hasn't gotten that much ice time (certainly not with decent scoring linemates). Canadiens have not found a way to use him correctly, as of yet. He might be a "steal" for another team in a trade.

The Blues got a genuine #1 NHL goalie for him (not a star-but a legitimate starter). So, we can't complain about that trade. Even if Eller eventually turns into a steady 25-32 goal scorer, The Blues STILL got a decent return in that trade, as Halak was ready to go in the trade year. Eller was still green.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 01:53 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
I haven't been able to figure out what Montreal is trying to do with him. I think his production says more about a struggling team not finding a way to maximize his productivity than is does that Eller is flagging behind in development.

They have bigger problems right now, though.

I like the trade for Halak, but I still wish the Blues had found a way to keep Eller. But with a guy like Sobotka around, its hard to miss him.

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 02:19 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor

I don't expect 20 goal seasons from anyone under 24 or so as a general rule. I absolutely think Eller will hit that mark during his career. By all accounts he's playing very well in MTL, and I wish him the best.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 02:26 PM
llamateizer

Hi
Eller stats arent really representing what he is putting on ice.

He improves day after day

recently, he struggled and was a healthy scratch yesterday's game (dont know why seriously) with Subban

This season he played 10+ minutes each game

IMO
Eller, Pacioretty, Price and Subban are part of the future core

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 02:35 PM
BluesRiver

But Eller doesn't speak French!

BluesRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 03:13 PM
BlueBeard

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I haven't been able to figure out what Montreal is trying to do with him. I think his production says more about a struggling team not finding a way to maximize his productivity than is does that Eller is flagging behind in development.

They have bigger problems right now, though.

I like the trade for Halak, but I still wish the Blues had found a way to keep Eller. But with a guy like Sobotka around, its hard to miss him.
I agree. Had we kept Eller his role likely would have been much different than the role in MTL. Eller can also play LW so he probably would have been the one filling in for one of McDonald or Perron in our top six. Which is a better option than anyone else but Steen.

I still don't like the trade. But I don't trust a goalie as far as I can throw them, so that probably has a lot to do with it.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 08:16 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesRiver View Post
But Eller doesn't speak French!
I'd bet that you're wrong about that. I work in Danmark, and have been living there part of the year for the past 24 years. Most reasonably well educated Danes take English, French and German as foreign languages (as we also do in The Netherlands). Most of my friends in Danmark speak French reasonably well (enough to get along). With that base, Eller (who speaks English VERY WELL), should have been able to become very fluent after spending several months in Montréal.

Old
12-23-2011, 10:08 PM
BluesRiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I'd bet that you're wrong about that. I work in Danmark, and have been living there part of the year for the past 24 years. Most reasonably well educated Danes take English, French and German as foreign languages (as we also do in The Netherlands). Most of my friends in Danmark speak French reasonably well (enough to get along). With that base, Eller (who speaks English VERY WELL), should have been able to become very fluent after spending several months in Montréal.
Dude, that was a joke. I lived and worked in Europe for several years myself and their language skills are very good. I really have no idea what languages Eller speaks besides Danish and English.

My JOKE was in reference to the joke that French Canada is becoming.

Old
12-23-2011, 11:28 PM
fcpremix88

vCash: 602
He never showed high end ability in any area. He's a player that's good at everything, but not exceptional. I feel like McRae is his replacement.

fcpremix88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:36 AM
STL fan in IA

I don't think it's fair to try to declare winners of trades anywhere close to this soon when established players are traded for prospects. While I'm fine with both trades with MTL, we need to let Eller & Palushaj develop before really knowing the full results. Eller is still only 22. While goalies typically take longer to develop than forwards, I'll note that Halak wasn't even a starter in the AHL at age 22. Same thing with Palushaj, who's still only 21. When D'ags was 21, he scored 53 pts in 76 AHL games and 0 pts in 1 NHL game. Palushaj has 12 pts in 14 AHL games and 0 pts in 15 NHL games. Which players will have the better careers when all is said and done is not even close to being determined.

The point of a trade is to improve your team but that means different things to different teams in different development cycles (ie. a Cup contender, a rebuilding team or a team somewhere in-between). All the Blues did with both trades was to turn future assets into current assets. I like both trades so far but Eller and Palushaj aren't even close to being done developing yet.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 06:17 AM
BluesRiver

Lars Eller is doing just fine especially given how Montreal's coaching staff is handling him. I know that Cunneyworth is getting lambasted right now in the Québécois press, but he has an offensive mind and perhaps he can find a scoring slot for Eller. That his scoring is not where many thought it would be is not a reflection on Eller, but a reflection on TOI, role and line mates. Eller is going to be okay. He just may need to get the heck out of Quebec.

Palushaj is entirely another matter. I like him A LOT. Not sure what Montreal was thinking when they got rid of Dags, but if they stick with him, then Palushaj will not disappoint. Skill-wise they don't compare at all as they have different skill sets. He is only a -2 on a team full of bad team defense. Eller is at 0 on the plus/minus scale.

In terms of the Eller-Halak trade, if Halak busts, then my pragmatic mind will automatically consider the trade to be Eller-Elliott. There's also Ian Schultz to consider.

Last edited by BluesRiver: 12-24-2011 at 06:24 AM.
Old
12-24-2011, 07:37 AM
stlweir

Schultz has done next to nothing in the AHL.

Old
12-24-2011, 07:58 AM
BluesRiver

Quote:
Schultz has done next to nothing in the AHL.
I'm surprised he's done next to nothing. Many of us had/have expectations for him as a more-than-decent prospect.

Old
12-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
I'm surprised he's done next to nothing. Many of us had/have expectations for him as a more-than-decent prospect.
Not really. He was expected to be a goon/grinder. He doesn't have good hands and plays physical game - fighting. I see him more of a player like Beach. But I don't know about his skating.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:55 PM
BluesRiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post
Not really. He was expected to be a goon/grinder. He doesn't have good hands and plays physical game - fighting. I see him more of a player like Beach. But I don't know about his skating.
Oh, okay. Perhaps I'm thinking of someone else.

Old
12-24-2011, 01:15 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Lars Eller is doing just fine especially given how Montreal's coaching staff is handling him. I know that Cunneyworth is getting lambasted right now in the Québécois press, but he has an offensive mind and perhaps he can find a scoring slot for Eller. That his scoring is not where many thought it would be is not a reflection on Eller, but a reflection on TOI, role and line mates. Eller is going to be okay. He just may need to get the heck out of Quebec.

Palushaj is entirely another matter. I like him A LOT. Not sure what Montreal was thinking when they got rid of Dags, but if they stick with him, then Palushaj will not disappoint. Skill-wise they don't compare at all as they have different skill sets. He is only a -2 on a team full of bad team defense. Eller is at 0 on the plus/minus scale.

In terms of the Eller-Halak trade, if Halak busts, then my pragmatic mind will automatically consider the trade to be Eller-Elliott. There's also Ian Schultz to consider.
The trade should be considered Eller, Schultz and Palushaj for Halak and D'Agostini. The Blues got two capable NHL-ready players for 3 prospects. After all 3 prospects reach 27, we can evaluate the trade. I doubt that Blues fans will be sorry they gave up any of the 3 with the returns they have so far and will have gotten by then.

Old
12-24-2011, 01:38 PM
BluesRiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
The trade should be considered Eller, Schultz and Palushaj for Halak and D'Agostini. The Blues got two capable NHL-ready players for 3 prospects. After all 3 prospects reach 27, we can evaluate the trade. I doubt that Blues fans will be sorry they gave up any of the 3 with the returns they have so far and will have gotten by then.
Well...that is how I look at it right now, but if Halak busts, then, to make myself feel better, I will look at it from a positional perspective. Eller and Schultz for Elliott. It's MY trip Brother!

Old
12-24-2011, 02:38 PM
ccgg

Quote:

The Habs traded D'agostini because he was Ryder 2.0. When he wasn't scoring, he was nothing. He had a big slump (around 60 games) and the Habs decided to trade him for a former 2nd round pick. The Montréal's coaching staff is horrible with Palushaj. They put him on the fourth line for 5 minutes with guys like Weber (yeah, the d-man... Yannick is also in a bad situation because he plays as a foward while he was good as d-man..), Blunden (good hitter but AHL player), Darche (horrible year) and Engqvist (3rd line AHL foward). Now Aaron is back with Hamilton in the AHL, but he plays with no confidence... but the coach in Hamilton (Clément Jodoin) is very good with young players so it's not a so big deal.

Eller was very good under Martin. He was very dynamic, he was physical and had a great work ethic. He was the shutdown center (with Plekanec). But he wasn't playing on the power play and the coach asked him to be the babysitter of some players. His best moments were with Moen and Kostitsyn. There is a great chemistery with these guys. This one of the reason I want the Habs to resign both. But they rarely play together. I think it's safe to say he will become a 50-60 points two-way foward.

Ian Schultz is always injured. Last year he was horrible but at the end of the season, he was the Ian Schultz we wanted (leadership, hit, fight, scoring chance, ok defensively). He needs to work on his defensive game (I'm not a fan of goons) and his shot (the accuracy). I think he can be a Jared Boll but nothing more.

ccgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 04:50 PM
BluesRiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgg View Post
The Habs traded D'agostini because he was Ryder 2.0. When he wasn't scoring, he was nothing. He had a big slump (around 60 games) and the Habs decided to trade him for a former 2nd round pick. The Montréal's coaching staff is horrible with Palushaj. They put him on the fourth line for 5 minutes with guys like Weber (yeah, the d-man... Yannick is also in a bad situation because he plays as a foward while he was good as d-man..), Blunden (good hitter but AHL player), Darche (horrible year) and Engqvist (3rd line AHL foward). Now Aaron is back with Hamilton in the AHL, but he plays with no confidence... but the coach in Hamilton (Clément Jodoin) is very good with young players so it's not a so big deal.

Eller was very good under Martin. He was very dynamic, he was physical and had a great work ethic. He was the shutdown center (with Plekanec). But he wasn't playing on the power play and the coach asked him to be the babysitter of some players. His best moments were with Moen and Kostitsyn. There is a great chemistery with these guys. This one of the reason I want the Habs to resign both. But they rarely play together. I think it's safe to say he will become a 50-60 points two-way foward.

Ian Schultz is always injured. Last year he was horrible but at the end of the season, he was the Ian Schultz we wanted (leadership, hit, fight, scoring chance, ok defensively). He needs to work on his defensive game (I'm not a fan of goons) and his shot (the accuracy). I think he can be a Jared Boll but nothing more.
Excellent info! Thanks.

Old
01-05-2012, 09:48 AM
stlweir

Eller with a 4 goal game that was topped off with a spin-orama penalty shot goal.

Last edited by stlweir: 01-05-2012 at 09:49 AM. Reason: correction
Old
01-05-2012, 09:52 AM
AreYouHockey

Quote:
Eller with a 4 goal game that was topped off with a spin-orama penalty shot goal.
4 goals - 1 assist sir

AreYouHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:22 PM
GravelTheOne

When you see how good Eller is at both ends of the rink, you understand why he was a 1st round pick. Add to this that he is only 22 years old, man, he's really impressive.

GravelTheOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:17 PM
BlueDream

I like Eller and think he's a solid player and fun to watch.

But he would be a 3rd liner on this team and most other teams so we obviously need Halak more which is why it will remain a good trade for us.

Even with Eller's game last night, his stats aren't as impressive as Halak's 2.26 GAA and .911 save% (which just keeps on rising). Jaro is getting better each game it seems.

BlueDream is online now   Reply With Quote