HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How much effect do Wizards now have on Caps operations?

Old
01-05-2012, 12:16 PM
MD Moose

vCash: 500
How much effect do Wizards now have on Caps operations?

Now that they're both under the same ownership umbrella, do you think it's inevitable that the operations of one will have an effect on the other, specifically the Wizards on the Caps? Sort of akin to a person drowning pulling down their rescuer.

But really, the way the Wizards are going, I see no other alternative than Ted having to fire GM Grunfeld. And depending on how the Caps do, they could potentially, and maybe very likely in the view of some here, have to make a change with GMGM. There's no way I can see Ted firing both teams' GM in the same offseason, so in my opinion, I think GMGM ought to be breathing a sigh of relief at how bad the Wizards are.

I was never in favor of Ted buying the Wizards, other than the advantage of owning the building, there's nothing else good that can come out of him owning both these teams.

MD Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:49 PM
tycoonheart

One owner but still two separate entities. I don't think one is going to drag the other down nor is one going to pull the other one up.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:53 PM
txpd

Dick Patrick has run the Washington Capitals as the owner's right hand man going all the way back to Abe Pollin and the hiring of David Poile. The Caps won't be effected.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:05 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
I think one will affect the other, but in reverse. I see Uncle Teddy trying to rebuild the 'zards like the Caps were rebuilt, behind a #1 overrall pick/face of the franchise and build through the draft. Problem is, with how the good/great NBA players are looking to jump ship to contenders as soon as they can, sitting around waiting for draft picks to blossom is probably not going to work.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:08 PM
sk84fun_dc

As to actual hockey operations, much less than on the marketing, sales, arena and related staff side of the business.

Some additional control of the scheduling of other events, where possible, to improve the ice, maybe.

Wishful thinking that at some point, the investments will be made to improve the ice conditions at the arena, which has a direct impact on the hockey, and may at some time be possible now that it's all under one owner, teams, arena, etc.

As to the GM decisions, independent decisions.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:10 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
I think one will affect the other, but in reverse. I see Uncle Teddy trying to rebuild the 'zards like the Caps were rebuilt, behind a #1 overrall pick/face of the franchise and build through the draft. Problem is, with how the good/great NBA players are looking to jump ship to contenders as soon as they can, sitting around waiting for draft picks to blossom is probably not going to work.
Ted is in a dilemma with the Wizards. He can't attract star free agents because we have no one they would want to play with here. I think he imagined Wall to be the Wizards' Ovi, but it isn't looking like that is going to be the case. Right now he can only hope to get another lottery pick and land a beast in the draft.

Old
01-05-2012, 01:18 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Ted is in a dilemma with the Wizards. He can't attract star free agents because we have no one they would want to play with here. I think he imagined Wall to be the Wizards' Ovi, but it isn't looking like that is going to be the case. Right now he can only hope to get another lottery pick and land a beast in the draft.
Full disclosure: IMO basketball is dumb, but let's not fool ourselves. Star FAs didn't want to play for the Caps in Ovie's first seasons either. The team had a rep just like the Wiz. If they get some good draft picks that they can cultivate into a strong core, the FAs will come in time.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:43 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
Full disclosure: IMO basketball is dumb, but let's not fool ourselves. Star FAs didn't want to play for the Caps in Ovie's first seasons either. The team had a rep just like the Wiz. If they get some good draft picks that they can cultivate into a strong core, the FAs will come in time.
I hope your right, but I don't see it working out that way. LeBron and his buddies have set the tone for the good/great players in the NBA. Fight one way or the other to get on an established team and play together. Thats why Chris Paul forced his way out of New Orleans, and Dwight Howard is trying the same in Orlando.

There is also the stupid factor, the lottery. In a real deep NBA draft only the top 5 will be sure fire, can't miss, prospects. But with the lottery a team like the 'zards have no garuntee they will get up in the top 5 to get one. So they are stuck taking a Euro with a bumb hip, and starting the year 0-6. The lottery is one of my top reasons for hating the NBA.

Old
01-05-2012, 01:53 PM
kicksavedave
yeahright

I realize both leagues have a salary cap, but one big money losing enterprise can easily effect the decisions made by the owner when it comes to his other endeavors. Being cash flow negative as an entity (WSE, Ted) can be a factor in how much Ted/WSE is willing to risk, invest, spend on the Caps.

Ted didn't buy the Zards out of charity. He needs to turn them into a winner and money maker or it has the potential to effect his other dealings. Exactly how much potential, only Ted and his accountant knows, but it shouldn't be dismissed as a real possibility.

kicksavedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:10 PM
tycoonheart

This market for the Wizards in this town is so huge. I mean, seriously, if they ever go back to contending, this town will eat up its basketball team.

I remember just a few years ago when we had Gil, Caron and antwan jameson... and we were actually competing. The buzz around town was great. Bars were filled with people supporting the team. When Gil made that 30 footer to tie the game against Cleveland, I think, the bar I was in friggin' erupted. I have yet to see that much enthusiasm for the caps in this town.

Old
01-05-2012, 02:44 PM
MD Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
As to actual hockey operations, much less than on the marketing, sales, arena and related staff side of the business.

Some additional control of the scheduling of other events, where possible, to improve the ice, maybe.

Wishful thinking that at some point, the investments will be made to improve the ice conditions at the arena, which has a direct impact on the hockey, and may at some time be possible now that it's all under one owner, teams, arena, etc.

As to the GM decisions, independent decisions.
But doesn't the GM hiring/firing decisions fall solely on Ted for both organizations now? I mean I agree that they are two different entities with regard to sport opertation, but from what I know of Ted I just can't see him firing both GMs around the same time as each other. (even though many here would say that it needs to be done)

Old
01-05-2012, 03:16 PM
IvanMalison

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Dick Patrick has run the Washington Capitals as the owner's right hand man going all the way back to Abe Pollin and the hiring of David Poile. The Caps won't be effected.
The word you are looking for is affected.

affect is a verb

effect is a noun

IvanMalison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 03:23 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Thats my biggest fear to. However the thing is unless he runs a full on powerplay you'll have John Wall being resigned to at least a 2 or 3 year deal when he becomes a restricted free agent after next year. That should be enough time to see if the Wizards build through the draft philosophy has worked. Maybe it's a new day but I think every franchise player in the league has resigned when they became RFA's (Howard, Lebron, Wade, Durant, CP3, Melo, Rose, etc).

Heck if they can come away with Sullinger, Barnes, or Davis in next years draft their core will be complete and it will only be a matter of having all the young guys develop (Wall, Crawford, Veesly, McGee, Singleton, and next years likely lottery pick). I also feel that Ronny Turiaf is going to be their version of Brooks Laich.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 04:53 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanMalison View Post
The word you are looking for is affected.

affect is a verb

effect is a noun
are you honestly cruising the boards to correct grammer and spelling?

Old
01-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
are you honestly cruising the boards to correct grammer and spelling?
*It's 'grammar' not 'grammer'.

Old
01-05-2012, 10:02 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Moose View Post
But doesn't the GM hiring/firing decisions fall solely on Ted for both organizations now?
not with the capitals. team president dick patrick would have most of that responsibility with the caps.

Old
01-05-2012, 10:07 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

You know what I like about Dick Patrick? Never hear a thing from him. Hell i dont even know what he looks like. It's refreshing.

Old
01-06-2012, 02:04 PM
dpj0122

Quote:
You know what I like about Dick Patrick? Never hear a thing from him. Hell i dont even know what he looks like. It's refreshing.
It's not that refreshing. He's been there longer than Leonsis, longer than McPhee. He was there when Pollin and O"Malley were doing their damage. Patrick's long time association with the team is hardly a great endorsement of his capabilities given the franchise's record of futility.

dpj0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 02:06 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I hope your right, but I don't see it working out that way. LeBron and his buddies have set the tone for the good/great players in the NBA. Fight one way or the other to get on an established team and play together. Thats why Chris Paul forced his way out of New Orleans, and Dwight Howard is trying the same in Orlando.

There is also the stupid factor, the lottery. In a real deep NBA draft only the top 5 will be sure fire, can't miss, prospects. But with the lottery a team like the 'zards have no garuntee they will get up in the top 5 to get one. So they are stuck taking a Euro with a bumb hip, and starting the year 0-6. The lottery is one of my top reasons for hating the NBA.
The Lebron and buddies to Miami will be the exception not the norm.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 02:08 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
not with the capitals. team president dick patrick would have most of that responsibility with the caps.
Um nah....Ted is the hatchet man.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 03:09 PM
MD Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Um nah....Ted is the hatchet man.
Yeah, that's what I would have thought. Even if it was Patrick's call I would think Ted would have the final say on it. Changing a GM is a huge step in professional sports, that's why I just don't think Ted would want to throw both his pro franchises into turmoil by doing it at the same time. Even though many of us are of the opinion that it is a necessary step at this point.

Old
01-25-2012, 02:06 PM
MD Moose

I'm sure most of you have heard about the circus going on with the Wizards of late. I think it will be interesting to see how Ted handles the GM situation with the Wizards, because that has to be the most inept management situation in sports. How that all goes down could be a pretty good indicator of how he'll handle the Caps management.

Old
01-31-2012, 04:59 AM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
The Lebron and buddies to Miami will be the exception not the norm.
I would like to think that but D-Will is already trying to convince Howard that Brookyn is the place to be while he's still under contract with Orlando. And before that Amare was recruiting Carmelo at his own wedding, as well as CP3, who would continued to be recruited by Melo and Amare up until his trade to LA.

Quote:
​Nothing's nicer for a husband-to-be than to be treated like an object of affection amid his wedding lead-up. But for Carmelo Anthony, the person spraying him with the most love these days isn't his intended, Lala Vasquez. It's Amare Stoudemire, who's spent much of his time since signing to new contract with the New York Knicks wooing Melo.
I don't mind recruiting but these little cliques of Superstars that are emerging in a Superstar driven league are downright scary if you favor any semblance of competitive balance.