HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No love for the Habs...

Closed Thread

Old
10-05-2004, 11:51 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

vCash: 500
No love for the Habs...

What is it with people and their obvious bias against the Habs? No matter what it is, people just won't accept whenever the Habs are good at something.

Our prospects? Forget the fact that we are ranked in the top 5 in terms of prospects! They all suck! Komisarek? He sucks! Locke? He sucks! Chipchura? He sucks! Nobody ever seems to admit that they may just be really great someday because of their potential. I, for one, have yet to see any reasons why they wouldn't be.

Our captain? Koivu stinks! He's too small! He doesn't put up enough points! He's too injury prone! He's soft! (??) He's not talented! (???) Everyone seems to have trouble admitting just how good Koivu really is. Every great thing he accomplishes in his career is forgotten, and people harp on his weaknesses.

Our goalie? Oh, he REALLY sucks! Theodore may very well be one of the best goalies in the league, possibly even in the top 3, and yet people would take a drunk, injured, old Belfour or an inconsistant Khabibulin or an unproven Kipper over him. He wins the Hart and the Vezina in one year and almost single handedly brings his team to the second round twice, and yet people still think he is mediocre. They also tend to ignore that he plays very well despite his family being in turmoil and despite receiveing death threats before games.

What is it? Why do people hate the Habs so much? Is it jealousy? Are they jealous of all the cups the Habs have won over the years? Are they jealous of the love this city has for hockey and their team? The passion for hockey the fans will always display? The fact that no matter how bad the team preforms, our attendance will always be the highest?

I don't know what it is. I really don't. I don't even think that they know. And if it really is jealousy, they certainly won't admit it.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm lost.

Old
10-05-2004, 11:56 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Think of it this way, the more the people hate us, the worse they will feel and the better we will feel whenever we win a cup. The more hate the better imo......Its just makes for better....... "rubbing it in"

Old
10-05-2004, 12:20 PM
Ace2000

Send a message via ICQ to Ace2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Think of it this way, the more the people hate us, the worse they will feel and the better we will feel whenever we win a cup. The more hate the better imo......Its just makes for better....... "rubbing it in"

in that case, (once again mentionned i'm sure) the leafs are gonna have a great time whenever they win teh cup,....won't happen but i'm sure the leafs are hated more than the habs lol!

Old
10-05-2004, 12:23 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

It's true that they're always hated. About Theodore, it's true however, he really sucks.

Old
10-05-2004, 12:31 PM
Darz

Two reasons alot of people hate the habs:

1. The habs are hated in the same ways as the Yankees in baseball. The fact that the habs won a ton of stanley cups between '56 and '79 against teams that others rooted for, has made those fans resent the habs. Fans of Boston, Toronto, etc. are always looking for ways to try and knock the habs and their fans down.

2. The province of Quebec vs the rest of Canada. Many non-Quebec'ers for one reason or another (no need to get into this) don't like Quebec or the people of the province. When looking at the habs, they are viewed as Quebec's team.

Old
10-05-2004, 12:36 PM
Gros Bill

I'm a bit confused, WaffleDave (well, more than usual, say). Are you referring to Habs fans or fans of other teams? Most of the comments you quote are usually uttered by Habs fans themselves, half of whom would want to trade Theo for a bag of pucks (the other half would trade Koivu for the same bag). Fans of other teams are the ones who usually have a pretty accurate idea of the value of our players (apart from Bruins' fans, of course).

Just look on this board, yes this very board, for proof.

My theory, which is my theory, is my theory. In this theory, which is mine, I propose a theory to explain this. So you see, it's really quite simple. Most young fans have heard or read about those great teams we had in the past, and they imagine that each player was the best in the NHL at his (or her) position, which just ain't true. So they judge the present day players by using unrealistic standards. So yes, Theo does suck (compared to Jacques Plante), and Saku does suck (compared to Jean Béliveau), etc, etc etc.

Anyways, that's my theory, which is my theory.

Old
10-05-2004, 12:41 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill
I'm a bit confused, WaffleDave (well, more than usual, say). Are you referring to Habs fans or fans of other teams? Most of the comments you quote are usually uttered by Habs fans themselves, half of whom would want to trade Theo for a bag of pucks (the other half would trade Koivu for the same bag). Fans of other teams are the ones who usually have a pretty accurate idea of the value of our players (apart from Bruins' fans, of course).

My theory, which is my theory, is my theory. In this theory, which is mine, I propose a theory to explain this. So you see, it's really quite simple. Most young fans have heard or read about those great teams we had in the past, and they imagine that each player was the best in the NHL at his (or her) position, which just ain't true. So they judge the present day players by using unrealistic standards. So yes, Theo does suck (compared to Jacques Plante), and Saku does suck (compared to Jean Béliveau), etc, etc etc.

Well thats a nice theory, but as a "young" fan its just not how it works for me, although your theory does makes sense.......First off (me anyways) i never compare a present day player with past players, because i cant. I have never seen these "legendary" players, so i have no basis to compare on........However thats not to say other younger fans wont compare like you say....

Old
10-05-2004, 12:45 PM
Skylab

At one point in my life I did hate the Habs. For me personally it was a reflection of growing up in Ontario. Looking back it was never a question of hating the Habs, but serioulsy dis-liking some of their fans. Habs fans in Ontario (because of needing to get past the obvious Leaf bias and number of Leaf fans) tend to be very vocal and pompous (I do recognize that the same chartacteristics are demonstrated by some fans of all teams in all sports)

As a Canadian, hockey fan and fan of the NHL, I now like to see all of the Canadian teams succeed. Having watched Canada lose NHL franchises, I tend to pull for all of them to be successful.

Old
10-05-2004, 12:48 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab
At one point in my life I did hate the Habs. For me personally it was a reflection of growing up in Ontario. Looking back it was never a question of hating the Habs, but serioulsy dis-liking some of their fans. Habs fans in Ontario (because of needing to get past the obvious Leaf bias and number of Leaf fans) tend to be very vocal and pompous (I do recognize that the same chartacteristics are demonstrated by some fans of all teams in all sports)

As a Canadian, hockey fan and fan of the NHL, I now like to see all of the Canadian teams succeed. Having watched Canada lose NHL franchises, I tend to pull for all of them to be successful.
I wish i were like that, unfortanately....im not

Well i like all the Candian teams, except one, you all know who that is.......

Old
10-05-2004, 12:53 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:

Very interesting theory, yes your theory. I see where you are coming from regarding unrealistic standards. Just in the Koivu vs. Sundin thread, how many times was the knock against Koivu that he doesn't compare to greats like Beliveau or Lafleur, and a lot of these came from hab fans.

Now there definitely is a dislike for hab fans, prospects, players, and team. Much along the lines of Toronto or New York. A lot stems simply for the abundance of fans from these teams and the fact that, do to these numbers, the number of idiotic fans who are blatant homers and act like morons hurts the majority. Which is also a sad representation of fans who feel the need to make blanket statements about a fan base based on these few, or have their opinions influenced by it. This is about the only problem I have with these boards. Differing opinion is fine, but when a person comes out and simply states, "Komisarek will never be more than a 6th defenseman" with no backup or thought, and the only purpose is to bring out people to cause problems, then I wish moderators would step in more and throw out bans for this more often. Basically any thread regarding a prospect, especially highly regarded ones, has this happen and the thread goes straight to hell.

Old
10-05-2004, 12:55 PM
Aarex

As a comment on darz

I think a majority of people (specifically western canada) Felt abit of animosity towards Quebec after the whole referendum thing.

Me personally the only question I had was if Quebec DID separate whatever will happen to my Montreal CANADIENS

I mean they couldn't possibly keep their name, what would it have turned to the Montreal Quebecoirs?

Old
10-05-2004, 12:58 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydified
As a comment on darz

I think a majority of people (specifically western canada) Felt abit of animosity towards Quebec after the whole referendum thing.

Me personally the only question I had was if Quebec DID separate whatever will happen to my Montreal CANADIENS

I mean they couldn't possibly keep their name, what would it have turned to the Montreal Quebecoirs?

Thank God they didnt make it that.......it just desnt have the same pazzaz....

Old
10-05-2004, 12:58 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydified
As a comment on darz

Frankly, I'm surprised the R.O.C. doesn't refer to the team as the Montréal French Canadians.

Old
10-05-2004, 01:19 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave
What is it with people and their obvious bias against the Habs? No matter what it is, people just won't accept whenever the Habs are good at something.
I would have to say that, on these boards, Leafs fans have it way harder than we do...

Old
10-05-2004, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
Very interesting theory, yes your theory. I see where you are coming from regarding unrealistic standards. Just in the Koivu vs. Sundin thread, how many times was the knock against Koivu that he doesn't compare to greats like Beliveau or Lafleur, and a lot of these came from hab fans.

Now there definitely is a dislike for hab fans, prospects, players, and team. Much along the lines of Toronto or New York. A lot stems simply for the abundance of fans from these teams and the fact that, do to these numbers, the number of idiotic fans who are blatant homers and act like morons hurts the majority. Which is also a sad representation of fans who feel the need to make blanket statements about a fan base based on these few, or have their opinions influenced by it. This is about the only problem I have with these boards. Differing opinion is fine, but when a person comes out and simply states, "Komisarek will never be more than a 6th defenseman" with no backup or thought, and the only purpose is to bring out people to cause problems, then I wish moderators would step in more and throw out bans for this more often. Basically any thread regarding a prospect, especially highly regarded ones, has this happen and the thread goes straight to hell.
good post...

The Hab hate on these boards is disgusting, same goes for Leafs and Rangers fans...it's so frustrating to participate in some discussions on these boards cause as soon as your a Habs fans, and you support one of your players in a poll or a thread, your labelled a homer, I mean you have people bashing Komisarek on the prospects board, and I still don't know what he's done to merit everyone thinking he'll be a bust, IMO, he's right along his development...I know some Habs fans spew out alot of homeristic comments on these boards, but it dosen't mean that everyone of us does the same

Last edited by 417: 10-05-2004 at 01:59 PM.
Old
10-05-2004, 01:54 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave
Does anyone have any ideas? I'm lost.
Yeah. You suffer from victim complex.

The cure resides in opening up your horizons.

Old
10-05-2004, 01:58 PM
mcphee

C' mon Bill whose theory are you repeating ? I think to an extent, young Hab fans have heard so much about the great teams of yesteryear and want a repeat of that feeling so badly, that we tend to get a bit over-hyped . I read a post a while ago that hinted disappointment if Komisarek only reached Scott Stevens' status.
I think we were in danger of becoming a team without a lot of relevance in the league until a few years ago. We're so optimistic to be rid of that feeling that we tend to go overboard. We have solid prospects in the system,probably more 'solid' ones than anyone else, no need to elevate them above what they are. When discussing hockey, it's too easy to fall back on our history to gain advantage in an arguement. While it's fun to tresure a great history it has little bearing on today's league. What's the Leaf fan's joke about Hab fans ? How many Hab fans does it take to change a light bulb ? 4, 1 to actually change it and 3 to talk about how great the old light bulb was.

Old
10-05-2004, 02:00 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
C' mon Bill whose theory are you repeating ? I think to an extent, young Hab fans have heard so much about the great teams of yesteryear and want a repeat of that feeling so badly, that we tend to get a bit over-hyped .

What's the Leaf fan's joke about Hab fans ? How many Hab fans does it take to change a light bulb ? 4, 1 to actually change it and 3 to talk about how great the old light bulb was.
You kill me, McPhee.

Old
10-05-2004, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
C' mon Bill whose theory are you repeating ? I think to an extent, young Hab fans have heard so much about the great teams of yesteryear and want a repeat of that feeling so badly, that we tend to get a bit over-hyped . I read a post a while ago that hinted disappointment if Komisarek only reached Scott Stevens' status.
I think we were in danger of becoming a team without a lot of relevance in the league until a few years ago. We're so optimistic to be rid of that feeling that we tend to go overboard. We have solid prospects in the system,probably more 'solid' ones than anyone else, no need to elevate them above what they are. When discussing hockey, it's too easy to fall back on our history to gain advantage in an arguement. While it's fun to tresure a great history it has little bearing on today's league. What's the Leaf fan's joke about Hab fans ? How many Hab fans does it take to change a light bulb ? 4, 1 to actually change it and 3 to talk about how great the old light bulb was.
That's a funny joke!

Old
10-05-2004, 02:16 PM
J-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
Yeah. You suffer from victim complex.

The cure resides in opening up your horizons.
Thank you for gracing our board with your virtuous presence, after years of silence.

Old
10-05-2004, 02:21 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-D
Thank you for gracing our board with your virtuous presence, after years of silence.

Well, I like the place. Especially in this period of non-hockey, it's fun to talk with folks here, many of whom reside in montreal or the vicinity. Lots of interesting posts too.

If too many people are annoyed, I'll probably post less often here, though. So far, it's been fun. Good Koivu/Sundin discussion recently, even if a little heated it was mostly polite and fun

Old
10-05-2004, 02:26 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:

Well, I like the place. Especially in this period of non-hockey, it's fun to talk with folks here, many of whom reside in montreal or the vicinity. Lots of interesting posts too.

If too many people are annoyed, I'll probably post less often here, though. So far, it's been fun. Good Koivu/Sundin discussion recently, even if a little heated it was mostly polite and fun
It's guys like you that give Satan worshippers a bad name. And you're never at the meetings.

Old
10-05-2004, 02:29 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
It's guys like you that give Satan worshippers a bad name. And you're never at the meetings.

Old
10-05-2004, 02:59 PM
Brisson11

Send a message via MSN to Brisson11
I predict habs win the rest of the cups until hockey is no more(and no one make any lame lock-out jokes that may make fun of this statement!)

Old
10-05-2004, 03:04 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:

you should stay, and you should also become a habs fan... It's about time to convert into this religion. Well, I think not. Jose Theodore sucks, but once he leaves the town, I'm ready to be a fan again.

Closed Thread