HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Whats Close To The P87A Blade?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-07-2012, 04:47 PM
  #1
seanerixon
Registered User
 
seanerixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Collingswood, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 642
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
Whats Close To The P87A Blade?

Recently, I purchased the 11K Sickick III Stick, and the P87A blade curve is by far, the best I've used. I had it on my last stick, and it really is my favorite by far. I've had the Ovi, the CrazyOvi(lol), Malkin, and Datsyuk blades before(And Heatley + Zet blades,but don't remember using them(long time)). None of them can satisfy me quite like the P87A blade though. My 11K is for ice, it'll get torn up in weeks(if I'm lucky), on street. I need a street stick, though. I have no problem spending money, but not $200 every time my stick gets worn down to the minimal. So I'm definitely getting a nice shaft, but undecided with the blade.

I use Inline Warehouse for my purchases, because I can use PayPal, simple as that. I have my shaft search narrowed down. I'm looking for as light as possible, but with the most durability. I heard ABS is definitely what I would want. Which ABS blade would be the lightest, though? Even if it is outside of IW, I'm interested to see my options. The best I found so far(to my knowledge), would be the Reebok 2K ABS Hockey Blades Sr 2011(plus I get my P97A curve).

The shafts I'm looking at:
Warrior Mojo Grip Hockey Shafts Sr 2011
Sherwood T90 Regular Fit Grip Hockey Shafts Sr 2011

The blades:
Undecided...

seanerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 06:32 PM
  #2
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 24,315
vCash: 500
It's equivalent to the Easton Hall, Bauer P92, Warrior Kopitar, etc.

For street, get the cheapest/heaviest shaft you can find. ABS blades are insanely heavy and will feel like a club with a high end shaft. If you can find Montreal M95 blades I love them, wood with ABS core. Very durable.

I actually have used an old broken stick that I put a tapered Bauer Vapor XXXX blade in for outside. It will not break. I hate it but no sense in replacing it since it's a tank. The bottom is worn down 1/2" and it's still super stiff. If you can find the old Vapor XXXX blades or Warrior Dolomite (pre HD/DD) they are great.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 07:16 PM
  #3
seanerixon
Registered User
 
seanerixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Collingswood, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 642
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
It's equivalent to the Easton Hall, Bauer P92, Warrior Kopitar, etc.

For street, get the cheapest/heaviest shaft you can find. ABS blades are insanely heavy and will feel like a club with a high end shaft. If you can find Montreal M95 blades I love them, wood with ABS core. Very durable.

I actually have used an old broken stick that I put a tapered Bauer Vapor XXXX blade in for outside. It will not break. I hate it but no sense in replacing it since it's a tank. The bottom is worn down 1/2" and it's still super stiff. If you can find the old Vapor XXXX blades or Warrior Dolomite (pre HD/DD) they are great.
How come a heavier shaft? I've used ice hockey sticks on street, and never really "broke" them. The bottom of the blade just becomes deteriorated(very quickly). I'm a play maker, and a defenseman. I rarely take slap shots. So mostly; wristers, snappers, breaking up plays. This isn't for a league, just every few days of pickup fun hockey.

I guess what I'm asking is, would having a the heavy blade with a light shaft really be offsetting?


Last edited by seanerixon: 01-07-2012 at 07:28 PM.
seanerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 07:27 PM
  #4
mhkehoe
Registered User
 
mhkehoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSeany View Post
How come a heavier shaft? I've used ice hockey sticks on street, and never really "broke" them. The bottom of the blade just becomes deteriorated(very quickly). I'm a play maker, and a defenseman. I rarely take slap shots. So mostly; wristers, snappers, breaking up plays. This isn't for a league, just every few days of pickup fun hockey.
Probably for balance, but I wouldn't worry about it. I use the lightest shaft I can. I really like the T90 in the one piece (tapered), the standard might be little different. The T90 with the 2K Reebok would be a nice combo.

mhkehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 07:43 PM
  #5
seanerixon
Registered User
 
seanerixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Collingswood, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 642
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhkehoe View Post
Probably for balance, but I wouldn't worry about it. I use the lightest shaft I can. I really like the T90 in the one piece (tapered), the standard might be little different. The T90 with the 2K Reebok would be a nice combo.
Literally have it in my cart right now, about to pull the trigger.

seanerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 08:40 PM
  #6
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 24,315
vCash: 500
Well I had an AK27 shaft and got a cheap blade, the thing felt like a tank. I mean the 11k is one of the lightest and well balanced sticks on the market, and a super heavy blade on a light shaft will completely screw up the balance and mess with your shot feel and timing. Even the high end AK27 blade was heavy compared to my X60 one piece.

If you get a heavy shaft and put a heavy ABS blade in it, it will feel balanced like a wood stick, even if it's heavy.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 10:16 PM
  #7
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,561
vCash: 500
iirc, there are no tapered ABS blades, so the T90 combo wouldn't work unless it was a standard shaft. I personally wouldn't use any composite blade outdoors because, aside from durability, it eventually turns into a dangerous splinter factory...imagine a cluster of tiny graphite splinters in your skin...not pleasant lol.

Not a lot of ABS blades have multiple curve options (luckily your 2K would be one of them) so I suppose you should stick with that or the CCM Crossover blade upcoming in either Ovechkin or Nugent-Hopkins.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.