HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

"24/7" Faces Uncertain Future

Old
01-05-2012, 12:57 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

vCash: 500
"24/7" Faces Uncertain Future

Puck Daddy on the future of the HBO documentary series... viewership was down for the year, but the show could also move to focus on another part of the NHL season. Mentions that Greenburg was the real champion, now obviously producing similar shows for NHL Films.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...aining-content

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:05 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

That stinks. Well at least the Rangers were in it before its gone.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:08 PM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 695
Overall, I've been mostly underwhelmed with the series this year compared to last year. I hope they continue doing it, but after a few years, the plotlines will start feeling the same each and every year.

go_leafs_go02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:39 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Yeah, this year's just wasn't as captivating. It's hard to put my finger on why, but I think the absence of big personalities had something to do with it. Bryz is funny and all, but...

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:51 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
The reason it wasn't as good as last year is because there isn't enough emotion. You need a struggling team. Last year, the Capitals were in their worst stretch of the season, so all the players were upset. There was also Boudreau who looked like he was about to get fired in middle of the show. This year, there were two teams playing their best hockey. That's not fun to watch.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:55 PM
Broad Street Elite

Not sure who mentioned it, but if they could get the NHL to agree to allow them to chronicle a playoff series.... or the finals... that would be simply amazing. Certainly risky, but that's about the only thing I see really drawing in casual fans.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

I think it'd be more likely that it would become a pre-season/training camp show like Hard Knocks

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 03:24 PM
JF55JF

Here is a different thought I was wondering. HBO covering live games with cameras on the bench and mics on the players. You'd get a completely different view of the game in live action with zero editting.

JF55JF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 03:26 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF55JF View Post
Here is a different thought I was wondering. HBO covering live games with cameras on the bench and mics on the players. You'd get a completely different view of the game in live action with zero editting.
I've wanted them to do this for years.

In fact, I'd be willing to shell out PPV money for it. No lie.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 03:55 PM
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Yeah, this year's just wasn't as captivating. It's hard to put my finger on why, but I think the absence of big personalities had something to do with it. Bryz is funny and all, but...
It's because it's built around the Winter Classic, which is really just another middle season game that doesn't mean anything outside of the spectacle.

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 04:02 PM
blues10

Quote:
This is exactly what my friends and I have been talking about for years.

We envisioned this as a live 18+ rated PPV broadast. Perhaps start with once a week and then up the ante. Commercial free with soccer like adverising during traditional commercials. The broadcast would also give the fan the ability to isolate players, choose different camera angles and have the game with or without broadcasters. In addition, you could turn the screen graphics off or on and access player and game stats on screen and on demand.

I would love to watch games with full sounds from the ice and the ability to turn off the broadcasting.

As for this 24/7 HBO series, I could care less either way. I am a pretty hardcore hockey fan and I haven't bothered watching any episodes.

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:11 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
There's one major thing I'd like to see improved on, which is LESS GAME HIGHLIGHTS. I watch 24/7 to see behind the scenes stuff, not spend half the time showing the highlights of the games in the past week.

And the fact that the teams were doing well didn't help. I would've loved to see torts explode after losing 3 in a row or something.

They also should've done more coverage on the controversial parts, like the cheapshot on MDZ, torts saying NBC got together with the NHL to rig the game to go into OT, THAT stuff gets viewers.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:29 PM
Dado

vCash:
I watched every episode last year. Didn't watch past the first episode this year.

It started feeling staged/filtered, and that kills the point of it, at least for me.

Last edited by Dado: 01-06-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old
01-06-2012, 10:30 PM
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

Quote:
I would love this. They could easily provide this by turning up the mics at ice level. They might need a few enhancements.

supahdupah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:51 PM
nabbyfan

24/7 kind of fell out of favor for me this year because it felt way too scripted. It was obvious the players knew the cameras were there and they were playing for them....whereas last year it really did feel like you were just an extra guy in the locker room.

There are only so many story lines you can have going into the Winter Classic, and alot of them are going to be the same year after year. I think this year proved how lucky HBO was last year to have two teams going in such polar opposite directions heading into the game. Don't think anybody outside of the NYR/PHL fan base could categorize this season as more entertaining as last.

nabbyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:56 PM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
The reason it wasn't as good as last year is because there isn't enough emotion. You need a struggling team. Last year, the Capitals were in their worst stretch of the season, so all the players were upset. There was also Boudreau who looked like he was about to get fired in middle of the show. This year, there were two teams playing their best hockey. That's not fun to watch.
QFT.

[QUOTE=f2d;42041595]There's one major thing I'd like to see improved on, which is LESS GAME HIGHLIGHTS. I watch 24/7 to see behind the scenes stuff, not spend half the time showing the highlights of the games in the past week.

/QUOTE]

Was thinking this season they were showing too many highlights during the game, not enough on the bench stuff.

Also, how come they didn't talk about or film Torts at home with his family?

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:24 PM
PhillyFlying

it was better last year because it was novel. i'm glad they did it this year so i was able to get an inside look at the flyers and if they choose to do it annually, i'll keep watching as a fan, but i wouldn't be upset if it doesn't come back. as already mentioned, we're just gonna get the same storylines over and over.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:45 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
I want a Trade Deadline 24/7

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 12:04 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

Quote:
Last year was the perfect storm. Two of the best players in game. One team struggling at the beginning of the series on a long losing streak while the other team was hot on a long winning streak. You had Crosby playing the best hockey of his career during the series with it ending in what looks to be a career ending concussion, which looking back in the show a year later adds another layer to the season. It ended with the Caps winning and the Pens looking at an uncertain future. It ended up being the perfect story arch.

This year didn't have that.

jkrdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Hawker14

My wife really enjoyed this show.

She's not a hockey fan, but after watching the final episode the other day for about twenty minutes, she turned to me and said "This is really interesting. I'd watch hockey if it was like this."

Hawker14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 12:58 PM
Bills09

Stanley Cup Playoffs 24/7 would be legit.

Bills09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:20 AM
Wamsutta
I'm Glen Sather IRL

The Winter Classic could be Phoenix and Florida and I'd still watch every episode. The show is so phenomenally produced and the soundtrack is amazing. I'd be sad to see 24/7 go.

Wamsutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:43 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Since the HBO mastermind has his own production company and is working with the NHL, I would not be surprised to see him do an "Up Close & Personal" (aka 24/7) or whatever they title it run up to a Winter Classic (should HBO drop the ball and end their run).

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 11:09 PM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

Quote:
This, Crosby and to an extent didn't show any more personality then what we've already seen

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 11:31 PM

I thought the french documentary ''Junior'' was way better. It's from about 5 years ago and of course it doesn't have the same kind of quality production HBO can pull, but it was more raw, and it didn't focus on useless stuff like Girardi's son or Simmonds spitting out every cliche in the books in his car on his way to some charity stuff.

In ''Junior'' you can see the GM negotiating trades on the phone, the coach speaking strategy with his assistants, you see the coach in his office speaking with struggling players, you see the coach screaming at his players in between periods, you see players throwing their equipment in fury, you see a player demanding a trade and saying he's going back home and the GM going mad, you see a three-way trade going down with the player right in the GM office, etc

You also follow a former Buffalo draft pick in his draft year... you see him speak with his agent, you live with him his ups and downs...

I guess what I'm trying to say is, where the **** was the HBO crew when Sean Avery was put on waivers?!?!?!? Oh yeah right, in Philadelphia filming the construction guys working on the rink.

Seriously...

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote