HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We're on Pace for Our 2nd Worst Season since 1948

Old
01-19-2012, 07:27 AM
Hab-a-maniac

vCash: 500
Yep, that's right. On pace for 74-75 points in 82 games which is well below .500 but more like 8-9 games below considering the two OT losses and forget the SO ones since those 6 would've been ties. The way I see it we're 16-23-6 by traditional NHL standards (I'm factoring in our SO win there of course). Let's break it down. We're on pace to go something along the lines of 32-40-10 here, really. 40 would tie the Habs all-time record for losses in regulation in a season and add in SO/OT losses and it's 50 (the record for reg. plus OT/SO is 46 set in 00-01 as well). Even if you take out the SO losses and just say we lost 4 OT games it's 44 losses outside the shootout which is 2nd highest all time as it is. And the Habs haven't lost 40 in regulation since that doomed 00-01. Of course if we really stink we could probably match that 70 point year. 1935-36, 38-42 seems a dismal era that's hard to match and 1939-40 is still the worst season in franchise history for now (a ****** 10-33-5 mark that seems safe at the moment from being repeated in terms of low winning %). We've been pretty good at finishing exactly 5 games under (77 points in 82 games in 02-03, 98-99 and 96-97, 43 pts. in 48 GP in 94-95, 75 pts. in 80 GP in 1983-84. Together with 99-00, 00-01 and 50-51, these represent our only eight losing seasons in the last 74 years and a pitiful five of them have come in the past 18). The worst is how we're on pace for about 15 home wins which would tie 00-01 and 97-98 for the worst mark in our post-expansion years. If we manage just 14 it'd be our worst since 1948 when they played only 30 at home anyway.

In terms of winning % that would be our worst year at home since 1939-40 when the Habs won just 5 of 24 home games. It's amazing but after 1940 the Habs never had a losing season at the Forum again. That's mind boggling! And yet at the cavernous, cursed Centre Bell this year would be our third losing season already there (not to mention two years where we were exactly .500)! The team mediocrity hasn't helped but I truly believe the way it's not unlike all the other arenas is a big factor. The Forum really stood out especially into the 80s and 90s when most teams had newer, state-of-the-art arenas. Forum, Boston Garden, Chicago Stadium got in your head the way the Bell Centre never can. The good news is that these years were typically followed by house cleaning (Therrien gassed in 2003 with Savard stepping aside at year's end, Houle canned in 2000, Tremblay "quitting" after 96-97, Demers and Savard axed in 95, Bob Berry and Irving Grundman gone in 83-84) so it's a sure sign the current group is living on borrowed time. The bright side is I believe we can retool quickly since this team isn't totally devoid of ability and has been a regular playoff team for a while. But it seems the "plan" Gainey embarked on after 2008 and Gauthier continued has been a failure. Just wanted to throw it out there for people wondering if this was truly historically bad stuff we're seeing. And yes, it's rare since after the Great Depression to see a Hab team this ******. Oh well, tank tank tank!

Last edited by Hab-a-maniac: 01-19-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 07:38 AM
Belso

It's a sad time to be a Hab fan.. BUT when you suck for a few years you can land good draft picks!! Maybe secretly Molson keeps Gauthier on to be as bad as possible for 2-3 seasons to get a few great players at the draft and build around those players.

Just throwing the idea out there...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 07:38 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-a-maniac View Post
Yep, that's right. On pace for 74-75 points in 82 games which is well below .500 but more like 8-9 games below considering the two OT losses and forget the SO ones since those 6 would've been ties. The way I see it we're 16-23-6 by traditional NHL standards. Only 2000-01 was worse but of course if we really stink we could probably match that. We've been pretty good at finishing exactly 5 games under (77 points in 82 games in 02-03, 98-99 and 96-97, 43 pts. in 48 GP in 94-95, 75 pts. in 80 GP in 1983-84. Together with 99-00, 00-01 and 50-51, these represent our only eight losing seasons in the last 74 years and a pitiful five of them have come in the past 18). The worst is how we're on pace for about 15 home wins which would tie 00-01 and 97-98 for the worst mark in our post-expansion years. If we manage just 14 it'd be our worst since 1948 when they played only 30 at home anyway. In terms of winning % that would be our worst year at home since 1939-40 when the Habs won just 5 of 24 home games. It's amazing but after 1940 the Habs never had a losing season at the Forum again. That's mind boggling! And yet at the cavernous, cursed Centre Bell this year would be our third losing season already there (not to mention two years where we were exactly .500)!

The team mediocrity hasn't helped but I truly believe the way it's not unlike all the other arenas is a big factor. The Forum really stood out especially into the 80s and 90s when most teams had newer, state-of-the-art arenas. Forum, Boston Garden, Chicago Stadium got in your head the way the Bell Centre never can. The good news is that these years were typically followed by house cleaning (Therrien gassed in 2003 with Savard stepping aside at year's end, Houle canned in 2000, Tremblay "quitting" after 96-97, Demers and Savard axed in 95, Bob Berry and Irving Grundman gone in 83-84) so it's a sure sign the current group is living on borrowed time. The bright side is I believe we can retool quickly since this team isn't totally devoid of ability and has been a regular playoff team for a while. But it seems the "plan" Gainey embarked on after 2008 and Gauthier continued has been a failure. Just wanted to throw it out there for people wondering if this was truly historically bad stuff we're seeing. And yes, it's rare since after the Great Depression to see a Hab team this ******. Oh well, tank tank tank!
LOL

and people think Gauthier isn't in the Reggie Houle category?
Say what ya like, but Houle's name isn't on the worst home start since 1938 (Gauthier /Martin)
and now we're on pace for SECOND WORST season since 1948(Gauthier /Martin/Martin jr)

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 07:42 AM
HeShootsHeScores

They're not gonna make it to the playoffs this year, but honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they finish the season at .500. The team never played to the level they were suppose to, considering their assets. They're gonna win 3-4 games in a row somewhere in the next 2 months, and manage to keep a .500 pace.

Not even close to a playoffs spot, but still probably better than some seasons in the late 90's dark era.

HeShootsHeScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 07:44 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeShootsHeScores View Post
They're not gonna make it to the playoffs this year, but honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they finish the season at .500. The team never played to the level they were suppose to, considering their assets. They're gonna win 3-4 games in a row somewhere in the next 2 months, and manage to keep a .500 pace.

Not even close to a playoffs spot, but still probably better than some seasons in the late 90's dark era.
I can't see 500 if they sell off,which anyone saying Habs can still make playoffs? are lying to the fans and themselves.

There will be more AHL in the line up than we already have.

When he pulls the plug, the worst is still yet to come .

Old
01-19-2012, 07:49 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
LOL

and people think Gauthier isn't in the Reggie Houle category?
Say what ya like, but Houle's name isn't on the worst home start since 1938 (Gauthier /Martin)
and now we're on pace for SECOND WORST season since 1948(Gauthier /Martin/Martin jr)
Houle was basically given an actual cup winning team with many stars, especially on defense and of course in net along with a couple very nice forwards. When his job was done all that was left was Koivu.

Look I don't think anyone is saying Gauthier is a genius but he can't just rebuild the team in 10 minutes like you do when playing NHL on Xbox or EHM.. The moves he did haven't really set us back, they just haven't really set us forward either. I'll wait to see what happens in the off season and close to the deadline, this is were its going to get interesting (if he doesn't lose his job that is ).

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 07:52 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Houle was basically given an actual cup winning team with many stars, especially on defense and of course in net along with a couple very nice forwards. When his job was done all that was left was Koivu.

Look I don't think anyone is saying Gauthier is a genius but he can't just rebuild the team in 10 minutes like you do when playing NHL on Xbox or EHM.. The moves he did haven't really set us back, they just haven't really set us forward either. I'll wait to see what happens in the off season and close to the deadline, this is were its going to get interesting (if he doesn't lose his job that is ).
Gauthier was given a team that made round 3 in playoffs...

Now sunk it to the bottom of NHL.

AND we all sit scared as you know what , to see him with the power to trade away at deadline.

So what will be left?

Habs PP now dead last ,yet he paid 4.25 million to fix it .

Gauthier is closer to Houle than you think.

Old
01-19-2012, 07:59 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Gauthier was given a team that made round 3 in playoffs...

Now sunk it to the bottom of NHL.

AND we all sit scared as you know what , to see him with the power to trade away at deadline.

So what will be left?

Habs PP now dead last ,yet we paid 4.25 million to fix it .

Gauthier is closer to Houle than you think.
You really think this team was this good ?

It's Halak who got this team to the 3rd round... would you have kept him over Price... I doubt it.

If the great Gainey had his wishes, Halak would have been traded at the deadline and we would have seen the true nature of this team in the playoffs.

Gainey and Gauthier have as much responsability in this debacle.

Houle, btw, was asked to shed salary. He didn't have any choice but to sell. Sadly, he was to putrid to get any good returns in order to rebuild a young and good team.

As for Gainey/Gauthier, they swin in money, yet they make absolutely imbecile decisions with it...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:03 AM
ClasslessGuy

It's sad because we DON'T have too too bad lineup...

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:07 AM
Captain Saku

and if we end up drafting Yakupov will Gauthier be considered a genius?

I hope he gets fired sooner rather than later, he can't be allowed to make any more trades!

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:09 AM
MXD

This team is way better than it's record make it seem. See goal differential, and the fact that Price is having a sub-par season.
Let's take advantage of a (too) high draft spot.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:15 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
This team is way better than it's record make it seem. See goal differential, and the fact that Price is having a sub-par season.
Let's take advantage of a (too) high draft spot.
It's better, I agree, but nowhere close to a contender.

And THAT should be our goal. Sadly, it isn't management's...

Old
01-19-2012, 08:16 AM
habsfan92

You cant trade your most dangerous offensive player & expect to be better. Houle thought we needed to be tougher & traded our best offensive player (who was coming off a 90 point season) and the rest is history. People trying to spin this as Bourque scored just as many goals as Cammy are dilusional, Bourque is no where as dangerous. Yes I wanted a guy like Bourque ADDED, but not at that expense. Trade a left arm for a right arm, ennd of the day, you are still short an arm.
First thing I said when I heard that trade is this is an easier way to digest tanking.

habsfan92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:17 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
It's better, I agree, but nowhere close to a contender.

And THAT should be our goal. Sadly, it isn't management's...

The empty seats will help ....they will get the point much faster for sure.

I said over a month ago when many was still saying look were only 2 pts out(mirage),i expected 3000 empty one 's,looks like we're on the way .

A shame to see everything Uncle George bought back, destroyed by Gauthier in 1.5 years.

Old
01-19-2012, 08:18 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan92 View Post
You cant trade your most dangerous offensive player & expect to be better. Houle thought we needed to be tougher & traded our best offensive player (who was coming off a 90 point season) and the rest is history. People trying to spin this as Bourque scored just as many goals as Cammy are dilusional, Bourque is no where as dangerous. Yes I wanted a guy like Bourque ADDED, but not at that expense. Trade a left arm for a right arm, ennd of the day, you are still short an arm.
First thing I said when I heard that trade is this is an easier way to digest tanking.
atleast Houle had an excuse(first time GM)

....What is Gauthier excuse?

Old
01-19-2012, 08:19 AM
PricePkPatch

Who did we drafted in 1948? :-)

okay. We suck it up for this season. Let's get a top 5 pick, and draft either a top winger or trade our 1st for a star winger prospect.

The wings are what is really lacking at the moments on this team. One year of strong draft might salvage us back into a reasonable position.

Keep:
Eller, Cole, Pacioretty, Moen, Kostityn, Leblanc
Subban, Gorges, Kaberle, Markov, Emelin.
Price

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:22 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post

okay. We suck it up for this season. Let's get a top 5 pick, and draft either a top winger or trade our 1st for a star winger prospect.

The wings are what is really lacking at the moments on this team. One year of strong draft might salvage us back into a reasonable position.

Keep:
Price

Watch the Habs take a Goalie with the top 3 pick

More thoroughbred's running around...

Last edited by Habaneros: 01-19-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old
01-19-2012, 08:25 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post

Keep:
Price
Why keep AK, Moen and Kaberle, but not Plekanec who's a best overall player and no1 centre ?

Frankly, beside Price I don't see any untouchables...

I'd build around : MaxPac, Subban and Price.

After that, I use every other players to have the best team possible. If Cole can get us a superstar is gone, but most probably part of this team, same for DD or Eller, etc.

Old
01-19-2012, 08:34 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Why keep AK, Moen and Kaberle, but not Plekanec who's a best overall player and no1 centre ?
You are so dumb! It's because.. I forgot to put him there. Sorry

Yhea, Pleky is definitely important. I'd like to put Desharnais there, but he's trade bait at the moment. If we get offered a good deal for DD, I'd trade him.

Quote:
After that, I use every other players to have the best team possible. If Cole can get us a superstar is gone, but most probably part of this team, same for DD or Eller, etc.
If we could get a Kessel-like trade for PK, I'd sure trade him. Hell, if we get offered a very good deal for Price, I'd trade him. But I'd expect massive overpayment in compensation.

But in the meanwhile, I am happy with our centres. DD and Eller are developing nicely.

I like our offensive D. Markov/Kaberle/Subban can pack a mean punch. Markov is still a quantum player, so I'll just put him in the "it'll be nice" category of future builds.

Diaz/Weber ain't cutting it for now, and with a few strong prospects coming up, we should seek to trade them.

Our shutdown Ds are nice, but we need someone else. Gorges and Emelin are keepers, but I wouldn't trust Emelin with a top 4 position to help Kaberle anytime soon. Maybe Subban/Emelin and Gorges/Kaberle would be winning pairs.

How's Tinordi coming along as a shutdown guy?

Our real problem is the wingers. I'd keep AK only if you can't deal him before the trade limit. Cole is playing like a Captain, I'd sure consider him along Gorges for next C. Patch is finding his stride.

Gio is... A puzzle. Not sure what to do with him. For now, we can't do anything, but well have to consider getting a trade for him. With Small Gal coming up soon, the spot for "small talented winger" will be taken soon ennough.

Yhea. Winger is out problem. At least I am happy Leblanc is proving good as a W

Last edited by PricePkPatch: 01-19-2012 at 08:42 AM.
PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:51 PM
Lafleurs Guy

As much as this sucks, it will suck even more if management continue to make short term gain moves. I heard tonight on TSN that we're in the market for a forward... why? I mean, why in the world would we even consider being buyers right now? It just makes no sense at all.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:52 PM
coolasprICE

I love it

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:52 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
It's a sad time to be a Hab fan.. BUT when you suck for a few years you can land good draft picks!! Maybe secretly Molson keeps Gauthier on to be as bad as possible for 2-3 seasons to get a few great players at the draft and build around those players.

Just throwing the idea out there...

Openly wanting your team to be a joke for 2 or 3 years.

And people say we are the best fans.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:54 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Love when people compare a 30 team league to a 6 team league.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:18 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Openly wanting your team to be a joke for 2 or 3 years.

And people say we are the best fans.
Hate to break this to you but... we're already there. I'm surprised PG doesn't have Bozo the Clown's theme song playing when he does his press conferences.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:36 PM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
Love when people compare a 30 team league to a 6 team league.

1950 60 70 80 90 00 10
# of cups won
|ŻŻŻŻ\
|........ŻŻŻŻ\__
|....................\_/\_/Ż\___
|______________________
# of french habs players

1950 60 70 80 90 00 10
# of cups won
|_____/ŻŻŻ\__
|....................Ż\
|...................... ŻŻŻŻ|_
|___________________*Ż|_
# of NHL teams

fail

Last edited by Vsevolod Bobrov: 01-19-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Vsevolod Bobrov is offline   Reply With Quote