HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Yzerman scouting Canucks and wild goalies

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-05-2012, 05:57 PM
  #26
tantalum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Missouri
Posts: 11,191
vCash: 500
A canuck goaltender will be moved but it won't happen until the draft or summer.

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 05:59 PM
  #27
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,048
vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I wouldn't! IMO Hedman is grossly overrated and overpaid on his new contract ($4M are you serious??). I want no part of Hedman.
Hedman makes Edler look gritty.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 06:05 PM
  #28
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 22,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Hedman makes Edler look gritty.
Tell that to Sidney Crosby.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 06:09 PM
  #29
Transom Bob
Registered User
 
Transom Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I wouldn't! IMO Hedman is grossly overrated and overpaid on his new contract ($4M are you serious??). I want no part of Hedman.
Yes. Dead serious. It's paying for potential. Hedman is far from a failure. He plays hard minutes and at 20 years old, I think his best days are ahead of him. He'd be a 2nd or 3rd pairing D on Vancouver to start, which sets him up for success. I'd then toss Ballard to clear salary.

I'm one of Schneider's biggest supporters, but I'd do that trade. (if we had to trade Schneider that is)

Transom Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 06:25 PM
  #30
Vajakki
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country:
Posts: 1,466
vCash: 500
As much as I hate the idea of trading Schneider and keeping Luongo, it's probably the only realistic scenario whether it's better for the Canucks or not. Gillis doesn't have the balls to ask Luongo waive his NTC, and I admit that would be a risky move so I understand going forward with Luongo. It's just that if it was my choice, I'd take the risk and go different route.

Luongo for Connolly and Hedman, one can dream.

Vajakki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 07:09 PM
  #31
Canuckommunist
Registered User
 
Canuckommunist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 514
vCash: 500
If they're scouting them it's for the future, not for now. I doubt it's an imminent movement- that's rarely what scouting's like. Schneider's going to be a big deal in the upcoming offseason, Yzerman no doubt wants to get a look in at his game before making decisions when that comes around.

Canuckommunist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 07:20 PM
  #32
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 16,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
What if Schneider gets dealt and Luongo goes down with a season ending injury (ala a worse form of Lucic type of hit). Again, it's not like other teams haven't taken runs at our better players this season.
I would be more worried about losing one of our best skaters and not having the depth to overcome it. Skaters are much more likely to get hurt than a durable Luongo.

Not to mention Gillis would have to bring in a backup if Schneider is dealt. There are a lot of good backups out there.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 07:21 PM
  #33
JanBulisPiggyBack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 558
vCash: 500
Luongo gets zero respect

Luongo would be fetching more than Connelly and Hedman, Thats like us offering up Tanev and Jensen for Pikka Renne


You can love him or hate him but you better believe there are 20 some odd teams out there that would kill to have Luongo on their roster and for his cap hit as well which is very good considering his counterparts ( Miller 6.25, Rinne 7, Backstrom 6, Lundqvist 6.875, Luongo 5.3 ) only problem is the term but lets worry about that 5 years from now

Schneider although has what appears to be what it takes to be a fantastic goaltender is far from a sure thing, too many goaltenders have put together incredible numbers and streaks that have not panned out to full accomplished careers. For every Broduer there are three Brian Bouchers ( who put up the longest shut out streak in the NHL ) Andrew Raycrofts ( Calder trophy Winner ) and JS Giguire, Jim Carey, Ray Emery, Artus Irbe who all lead their teams to Stanley Cup Finals

Another knock on Schneider is he plays on the best team in the NHL

I am in no way a Schneider hater and would be ectastic about keeping a potentially better goaltender at a lower cap hit but I also want the Santa Claus to be real and have him work twice a year. I say trade him while his value is high either at the draft ( which is my preference ) or at the deadline for a deal we couldnt say no to.

I don't know what Hedman and Connelly's values are but neither of them would be an instant impact on this team

JanBulisPiggyBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 07:34 PM
  #34
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 21,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Not to mention Gillis would have to bring in a backup if Schneider is dealt. There are a lot of good backups out there.
Who is available?

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 07:45 PM
  #35
Royal Canuck
Ronnie Hockey!
 
Royal Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,451
vCash: 814
Not really anyone we would want from Tampa besides Hedman, but he's out with a concussion.

Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 07:47 PM
  #36
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 16,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Who is available?
Pretty much every backup that isn't a young, blue-chip goalie.

The question for me is, how many games will Schneider realistically play? I just don't think it'll be more than 5. Very well could be zero. IMO there is a much greater chance Schneider has no impact on the playoffs as he did last year in 4 rounds than him stepping in for a significant amount of time AND excelling.

Even if Schneider played an entire series the difference in terms of goals against between him and a Curtis Sanford/Jason Labarbera is negligible - probably less than 2 goals over a 7 game series...

Not a fan of hedging bets.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 07:54 PM
  #37
Dirkph
Mancrush = Malhotra
 
Dirkph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,101
vCash: 500
Gillis has outright said he's keeping Schneider for now as we do need him.

But isn't this the most logical decision anyways? If Schneider is the great starting goaltender we all know he can be, the longer we have him, the more valuable he becomes, thus giving us better trade options in the future.

Dirkph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 08:02 PM
  #38
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 16,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkph View Post
Gillis has outright said he's keeping Schneider for now as we do need him.

But isn't this the most logical decision anyways? If Schneider is the great starting goaltender we all know he can be, the longer we have him, the more valuable he becomes, thus giving us better trade options in the future.
Gillis said if the right deal comes along he'll look at it...

I wouldn't say Schneider's value will continue to rise due to his pending free agent status. His value is at an all-time high right now for teams with poor goaltending that want to make the playoffs. Though I'm not sure many teams fit that criteria.

I still believe Gillis will move him at the deadline if there's a youngish impact player to be had. Especially is there's an injury or 2 leading up to the deadline that he's having a hard time addressing.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 09:08 PM
  #39
Whale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post
Maybe he was scouting Luongo.
some reasons that this might not be far fetched:

1. Have you seen Lou's interviews this year, that does not look like a happy man to me. That's just my opinion, but the only time he seemed happy to me was when he wasn't playing and answering questions about his future here with answers like, "We have two #1 goalies here." and "There is no problem." Really Lou? Cause there should be, are you a competitor or not? Or... is there another reason? A backdoor to Tampa?

2. If he was going to ask to be traded, or offer to be, and this is a possibility, Tampa would have to be his destination of choice.

Why Tampa?

1. He has to have a relationship with Esposito after all his years in Florida. How many charity golf tournaments can two of the greatest Italio-Canadian goalies in history be at and not get into some pretty interesting conversations. And who wouldn't want Yzerman as their GM right now?
2. Tampa is a contender and has just as good an organization as the Nucks, they just need a goalie to be as good a team as the Canucks, this trade in fact would make both teams remarkably similar, with high end goaltending, a deep but unspectacular defense and even up front with a good mix of veteran superstars and emerging ones. Lou would lose nothing but time away from home and six years of emotional baggage by moving to Tampa.
3. Proximity to his wifes family. I've seen men at work with a look similar to Lous gloomy visage these days, thats all I'm sayin'.

and finally, there is a trade there that makes sense for all concerned


To Tampa:

Luongo + Ballard

To Van:

Hedman + Roloson

Would you do it? Its a riverboat gambler kind of move, but if Gillis had the kahunas to pull it off I would build a shrine to him in the corner of my apartment and start making daily offerings of klondike bars and gatorade in his honour.

Yes, this works within the capspace of both teams.

Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 09:12 PM
  #40
Treefingers
\_(ツ)_/
 
Treefingers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale View Post
some reasons that this might not be far fetched:

1. Have you seen Lou's interviews this year, that does not look like a happy man to me. That's just my opinion, but the only time he seemed happy to me was when he wasn't playing and answering questions about his future here with answers like, "We have two #1 goalies here." and "There is no problem." Really Lou? Cause there should be, are you a competitor or not? Or... is there another reason? A backdoor to Tampa?

2. If he was going to ask to be traded, or offer to be, and this is a possibility, Tampa would have to be his destination of choice.

Why Tampa?

1. He has to have a relationship with Esposito after all his years in Florida. How many charity golf tournaments can two of the greatest Italio-Canadian goalies in history be at and not get into some pretty interesting conversations. And who wouldn't want Yzerman as their GM right now?
2. Tampa is a contender and has just as good an organization as the Nucks, they just need a goalie to be as good a team as the Canucks, this trade in fact would make both teams remarkably similar, with high end goaltending, a deep but unspectacular defense and even up front with a good mix of veteran superstars and emerging ones. Lou would lose nothing but time away from home and six years of emotional baggage by moving to Tampa.
3. Proximity to his wifes family. I've seen men at work with a look similar to Lous gloomy visage these days, thats all I'm sayin'.

and finally, there is a trade there that makes sense for all concerned


To Tampa:

Luongo + Ballard

To Van:

Hedman + Roloson

Would you do it? Its a riverboat gambler kind of move, but if Gillis had the kahunas to pull it off I would build a shrine to him in the corner of my apartment and start making daily offerings of klondike bars and gatorade in his honour.

Yes, this works within the capspace of both teams.

Treefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 09:17 PM
  #41
ferroid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 504
vCash: 500
So wait.

You're saying we should trade Luongo and Ballard for Hedman? (Roloson doesn't have much value in my opinion.)

That is ludicrous.

ferroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 09:19 PM
  #42
Whale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 645
vCash: 500
Oh yeah, and you'd never believe what small swedish town Hedman is from...

Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 09:23 PM
  #43
ThereGoesVirtanen
#53...the future
 
ThereGoesVirtanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,335
vCash: 500
Connolly would be sweet.

ThereGoesVirtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 09:26 PM
  #44
Whale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferroid View Post
So wait.

You're saying we should trade Luongo and Ballard for Hedman? (Roloson doesn't have much value in my opinion.)

That is ludicrous.
Why? Hedman is going to be a superstar, and Schnieder is at least as good as Luongo. You could say that Lou has more playoff experience, but what has that experience been? Schnieder doesn't know his limits, he hasn't met them yet, he hasn't failed at any level and seems very composed and confident to me. I don't think we lose much short term, and if he struggles then we can try and win it for Rolly the Goalie. No baggage, fresh start, lets go.

And just look at the defence in front of him:

Hamhuis Bieksa
Edler Salo
Hedman Rome

Alberts
Sulzer
etc

If you are thinking about the long term interests of the club, like keeping them at this level for at least ten years, you do this deal.

Or to put it another way, if you were GM of the Panthers back in the day, and you had the Beezer in front of Luongo, would you trade the Beezer for a 21 year old Shea Weber? Might have looked crazy at the time, but you have to look ahead if you want to win a cup or a few of them.


Last edited by Whale: 01-05-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 09:36 PM
  #45
ferroid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 504
vCash: 500
At this point in time, not only value wise but in terms of maximizing our chances at the cup

Luongo >>>>> Hedman

Let alone adding Ballard in there too.

ferroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 09:39 PM
  #46
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.
 
thepuckmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,840
vCash: 50
I'll put money on the fact he was scouting Harding. He still put up a .941% in a loss. He'd also be much cheaper to get.

Luongo isn't going anywhere based on his play being off the charts lately, and have a punch of Luongo-Schneider in the playoffs is going to be far more valuable to us than anything Tampa can throw our way.

I don't want to have a situation where we trade Schneider, acquire an 'okay' backup and Lu goes down and we all collectively **** our pants when Nabokov or someone else goes in for him.

thepuckmonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 10:44 PM
  #47
Carl Carlson
Registered User
 
Carl Carlson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,457
vCash: 500
It's obviously Schneider for Stamkos.

Carl Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 12:36 AM
  #48
timw33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,129
vCash: 500
We need someone who could contribute now and add to our team for this playoff run.

Not a prospect.

Not a pick.

A player with NHL experience.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 12:54 AM
  #49
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5,696
vCash: 500
I don't think there is much too this, I think he was in the area and wanted to get more familiar with players that he doesn't see much of. But I have a hard time believing he isn't eyeing out one of our goalies and TB is a place were Luongo might be willing to go for his wife. No doubt we have what TB want Schneider/Luongo and possible Ballard if Vancouver goes after Suter in the offseason, if he gets that far.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 12:57 AM
  #50
VinnyC
Rangers fan I SWEAR
 
VinnyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 新香
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
We need someone who could contribute now and add to our team for this playoff run.

Not a prospect.

Not a pick.

A player with NHL experience.
Exactly.

Someone like Stamkos.


VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.