HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Sabres stuck in franchise funk

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-19-2012, 12:40 AM
  #1
Sabretip
Registered User
 
Sabretip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,906
vCash: 500
Sabres stuck in franchise funk

Quote:
However, a pro scout for an NHL team, who spends a lot of time watching the Sabres, says their problems seem to be more psychological than physical. The scout noted Regier and head coach Lindy Ruff have run the team together for more than 14 years and their core group of players have been together for a long time as well and wonders if they don’t all have a collective case of the blahs.

“It seems like it’s just stagnated,” said the scout, who wished to remain anonymous in order to remain employed. “There’s nothing wrong with Lindy Ruff as a coach, but he’s been there forever, Darcy’s been there forever. The core players have been there forever.

They don’t seem to play with a lot of passion. It’s just like playing by rote. That’s the way it struck me.”

The scout admits the Sabres’ injury problems are more severe than the norm but adds, “Have theirs been any worse than Pittsburgh’s? Start with Sidney Crosby and go from there.”
Quote:
But the Sabres sure give the impression of a team in need of a shakeup. The stagnation seems odd considering the joy professed by the players over Pegula’s injection of cash into the operation.

The scout says money is a funny thing in NHL dressing rooms. Sometimes, when some players with big contracts are added to a team with a large number of incumbents, some of whom are not making as much, a malaise can take hold. Players can also quickly get complacent when showered with luxuries like fancy dressing rooms.

“When the belly is full, what more is there to push for?” the scout asked
.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2307403/

P.S. What's curious in the article to me is that the scout being quoted wanted to stay anonymous for job security reasons - which makes me wonder if the scout isn't someone working for the Sabres. Why else would someone fear for their job security when they work for a different organization and are only offering an opinion on another organization?

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:02 AM
  #2
jamers
McTankel Mechanic
 
jamers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,342
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
P.S. What's curious in the article to me is that the scout being quoted wanted to stay anonymous for job security reasons - which makes me wonder if the scout isn't someone working for the Sabres. Why else would someone fear for their job security when they work for a different organization and are only offering an opinion on another organization?
The plot thickens!

I bet a reality show on the Sabres right now would be pretty entertaining.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 02:22 AM
  #3
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!
 
SabresAreScaryGood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,746
vCash: 500
The bigger media outlets are all over the Sabres. Seems like they have been waiting 10 years to bash the crap out of Regier and Ruff.

Where was this stuff 5 years ago, then it was oh poor Buffalo had their team ripped apart because they are poor Buffalo.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 02:54 AM
  #4
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com
 
Buffalo87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Rochester
Posts: 7,254
vCash: 500
Very well put, this appears to be exactly the problem.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 04:38 AM
  #5
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering
 
S319R11S16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,996
vCash: 500
Its true.

As far as who it was, i doubt it was one of ours. Rarely do you hear someone say these things out loud about a team. These days I wouldnt want to go on record saying stuff like that. What good would it do for me?

Oh and yeah basically as i've noted, the scout hints that nobody fears for their job which i've said for quite a while.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 04:55 AM
  #6
jlr
\m/o.o\m/
 
jlr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,095
vCash: 500
Yeah, I wouldn't assume it was someone in the organization. A scout from another team isn't doing his employer any favors coming out and saying that stuff to the press, so they'd have plenty of incentive to stay anonymous.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 06:05 AM
  #7
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!
 
cardiffgiant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 1,971
vCash: 500
That's a Gleasonesque source (as in... maybe no source at all)

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 06:21 AM
  #8
5 Minute Major
Registered User
 
5 Minute Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Binghamton, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
That's a Gleasonesque source (as in... maybe no source at all)
I would share your sentiments if what was reported was far fetched, however, it is more than believable in my eyes becuase it appears to be very truthful.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 06:30 AM
  #9
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,532
vCash: 500
Truth?

It's an outsiders opinion.

Honestly, I doubt that the locker room upgrades are the problem. It's the fact that there is no real pressure because nobody fears for their job right now that is the major psychological problem that I see.

The team needs changes. But, patience seems to be management's mantra.....

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 06:45 AM
  #10
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!
 
cardiffgiant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 1,971
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
I would share your sentiments if what was reported was far fetched, however, it is more than believable in my eyes becuase it appears to be very truthful.
and also extremely obvious to just about anyone

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 07:34 AM
  #11
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2307403/

P.S. What's curious in the article to me is that the scout being quoted wanted to stay anonymous for job security reasons - which makes me wonder if the scout isn't someone working for the Sabres. Why else would someone fear for their job security when they work for a different organization and are only offering an opinion on another organization?
I'm sorry but that read was very ridiculous. Envious millionaires, too much luxuery? That guy has CLEARLY never been in an NHL locker room, at ANY level of play. He probably spends more time hanging around hair stylists getting a perm. So silly.

They are losing because they suck on the ice. The end.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:16 AM
  #12
5 Minute Major
Registered User
 
5 Minute Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Binghamton, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Truth?

It's an outsiders opinion.

Honestly, I doubt that the locker room upgrades are the problem. It's the fact that there is no real pressure because nobody fears for their job right now that is the major psychological problem that I see.

The team needs changes. But, patience seems to be management's mantra.....
Sure, it's an outsiders opinion but that is becoming more and more outsiders opinions with each passing day.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:48 AM
  #13
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Virginia
Country: Ras al-Khaimah
Posts: 10,876
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
I'm sorry but that read was very ridiculous. Envious millionaires, too much luxuery? That guy has CLEARLY never been in an NHL locker room, at ANY level of play. He probably spends more time hanging around hair stylists getting a perm. So silly.
What?

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:03 AM
  #14
Sabretip
Registered User
 
Sabretip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Honestly, I doubt that the locker room upgrades are the problem. It's the fact that there is no real pressure because nobody fears for their job right now that is the major psychological problem that I see.

The team needs changes. But, patience seems to be management's mantra.....
On the locker room, I think you're missing the point - it represents another "reward" the players got from ownership / management. Just like the frequent defenses of his players that Regier often makes or Ruff's forgiveness towards certain players, it contributes to that exact lack of accountability and pressure you cite as being the problem. So many of us have noted the lack of passion or motivation apparent in the team's play - that has to do with the fact of how well the players get treated even when they turn in weak efforts or don't produce.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:16 AM
  #15
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
On the locker room, I think you're missing the point - it represents another "reward" the players got from ownership / management. Just like the frequent defenses of his players that Regier often makes or Ruff's forgiveness towards certain players, it contributes to that exact lack of accountability and pressure you cite as being the problem. So many of us have noted the lack of passion or motivation apparent in the team's play - that has to do with the fact of how well the players get treated even when they turn in weak efforts or don't produce.
The scout is going with the old school idea that giving players a nice locker room, a private jet, and all sorts of other luxuries will make them soft.

Sorry, but I'm not buying that one.

The Rangers just got an upgraded locker room at MSG this off season. How are they doing in the standings?

The issue is the players in the locker room and not the locker room at the players are in.

If you acquire players that are not mentally tough, then yeah, they can get complacent. I think this team is in this same spot with no renovations to the locker room or if BTG is still the owner.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:43 AM
  #16
Ralonzo
Я хочу!
 
Ralonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 4,678
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
One problem I was thinking about after the FA signings and running up to the cap was: how can you bench someone for performance when you're up against the cap? You bring up someone and make one of these overpriced lazy slugs sit in the press box, bam, you just busted the cap. There's hardly even a threat of that happening because the only options when healthy are Grags and Ellis, the guys who are untouchable exactly because their contracts are the only ones that allow them to be extras on this roster. With the threat of meaningful benchings/demotions gone...

Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:40 PM
  #17
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff View Post
What?


Whatchumean...what?


The players don't enter downward spirals with their athletic performance based on the trivial things brought up by this so-called "scout". When your adrenaline is pumping on the ice do you really think they are concerned about locker rooms or contracts?

The point is so widely missed here.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:41 PM
  #18
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Virginia
Country: Ras al-Khaimah
Posts: 10,876
vCash: 300
Ignoring the last sentence in your original post, your argument was that the source had never been in an NHL locker room because of X. What I don't understand is how you know X, because I doubt you've been in that situation.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:44 PM
  #19
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd
 
struckbyaparkedcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Country: Cote DIvoire
Posts: 10,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralonzo View Post
One problem I was thinking about after the FA signings and running up to the cap was: how can you bench someone for performance when you're up against the cap? You bring up someone and make one of these overpriced lazy slugs sit in the press box, bam, you just busted the cap. There's hardly even a threat of that happening because the only options when healthy are Grags and Ellis, the guys who are untouchable exactly because their contracts are the only ones that allow them to be extras on this roster. With the threat of meaningful benchings/demotions gone...
Waivers exist. And we've had enough dollars on LTIR for the duration of this skid to bench anyone on the roster.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 10:53 AM
  #20
Sabretip
Registered User
 
Sabretip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
The end of R&R?: Darcy Regier and Lindy Ruff have been here since 1997 and everything appears stale. Regier took Pegula's blank checkbook and seemed to do a good job in July, at least with Regehr and Ehrhoff. So far, Leino has been a disaster. Now the general manager must retool, but his deadline deals in the past have been mostly failures. Other NHL teams are privately relishing in big-money Buffalo's woes.

Ruff, meanwhile, seems to no longer have this team's attention. That can happen when the message gets old and all the players have made their money and got their cushy new locker room. Still, Ruff's constant line shuffles don't help matters and he's overly tough on young players (see Adam, Gragnani) while letting veterans off the hook too easily. It was good for once to see Ruff dump Roy to the fourth line in St. Louis after the veteran pulled the ole trick in Winnipeg trying to block a shot.

Here's a stat for you: The Sabres are a combined minus-32 in the second and third periods after going plus-2 in the first. Is Ruff getting outsmarted during intermissions?

Virtually any franchise in any sport would have jettisoned both coach and GM by now. But Pegula loves Ruff. The jury on Regier may be out until after we see what he does at the deadline. So if the coach or GM are staying, doesn't that mean that a bunch of the players have to be leaving?
Quote:
Terry's time: Pegula has to know this is broken. He's not still acting as the No. 1 fan and following Regier's theory that this is all about injuries. Right?

You wonder. Pegula played the injury card big-time earlier this month in a slew of interviews. The fixing Humpty Dumpty analogy joins John Rigas' "tools to finish the job" speech and Tom Golisano's "I'll eat this microphone if we don't make the playoffs" promise as ownership chatter he might regret. Pegula should have said injuries are always a factor but he demands more from his team.

Team President Ted Black has been more honest in his assessments, and his preaching of patience earlier in the year to several outlets has clearly given way to frustration on his weekly radio show. Black isn't a hockey department man per se, but you figure he has Pegula's ear.

Pegula told Sabres employees on Day One he doesn't like getting rid of people. But now some firings are needed, whether they are players, the GM or the coach. Pegula has to show he has the stomach to do it.
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...icle717113.ece

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 11:01 AM
  #21
Selanne00008
Registered User
 
Selanne00008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NYC - UES
Posts: 3,177
vCash: 500
I agree with the article. It;s like Rex Ryan saying Sanchez is the guy and his starting QB is NOT in jeopardy.

Even players came out and said Sanchez doesn't work hard, etc. "If he knows he's not losing his job, he becomes complacent"

Its the same thing here. Handing out contracts, Ruff and Darcy not afraid of losing their job. We shouldnt let anyone get comfortable, ever, and thats what has happeend here.

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 09:39 PM
  #22
Daz28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,229
vCash: 500
Top management is risking a lot of ridicule if they make no changes. I don't necessarily mean this year, but if they go into next year with little or no change, and they flop again, then that will show that THEY were indeed the ones who were at fault(the problem). Making no changes could make them the laughing stock of the league next year, and the bane of all fans, friendly and unfriendly(see Buffalo Bills franchise). Now you not only have to correct the problem, but you have to earn back the little bit of credibility you may have already had. If these guys are successful businessmen, I'll assume they know this already.

Daz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.