HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Proposal Thread 4.0 - ***"Christian Thomas is the new Sauer+2nd" Edition***

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Esa 10

vCash: 500
Look at teams with successful PPs in the league. They are based around hard shots from the point. DZ, Stralman miss the net too much. Girardi has a weak/ok shot. The PK doesn't have to respect it, so they clog up passing lanes to the guys down low. The coaches watch these guys in practice, they don't think Stralman or the other defensemen are the answer.

Boston won without a good PP last year, but they were the exception rather than the rule. The Rangers are 10th in scoring. Even if they manage to acquire a scoring forward, this is not going to turn into an offensive juggernaut with 3 consistently dangerous lines. Not with a play-off untested Hagelin and at least one of Boyle/Feds on the 3rd line. Addressing PP production is a valid way to go about improving offense. Especially when you already have one of the better QBs in Richards on the team.

Old
01-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Vitto79

some random UFA names, may pop up

not saying I want to get any of them but they could be moved

Jones, David F COL 27 $2,500,000 2012 (UFA)

Huselius, Kristian F CLB 33 $4,750,000 2012 (UFA)

Stempniak, Lee F CGY 28 $1,900,000 2012 (UFA)

Ponikarovsky, Alexei F CAR 31 $1,500,000 2012 (UFA)

Hecht, Jochen F BUF 34 $3,525,000 2012 (UFA)

Gaustad, Paul F BUF 29 $2,300,000 2012 (UFA)

Boyes, Brad F BUF 29 $4,000,000 2012 (UFA)

Blake, Jason F ANA 38 $4,000,000 2012 (UFA)

Old
01-11-2012, 10:44 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post

Stempniak, Jones, and Gaustad id take on the Rangers.

Old
01-11-2012, 11:48 PM
Esa 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post

Not keen on any of the names on this list. Huselius has only played 2 games, he's been injured all year. I suppose if legit targets like Ruutu prove to be too expensive to acquire, I'd think about Jones or Stepniak, but still would be pretty lukewarm about either. Gaustad is like Moen, someone to consider if scoring needs are addressed first and/or one/two of our 3rd/4th liners go down with long term injuries.

Supersonic brought up Souray. He's actually a good shooting option for the PP, but the problem is Dallas position in the standings. I don't see them dropping far enough out of play-off places by the deadline to become sellers.

Old
01-12-2012, 04:37 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

Gaustad could work..

Old
01-12-2012, 07:39 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennsoe View Post
Gaustad could work..
yea he was the one guy on that list that makes some sense in a 3rd line C role. I think he's good at faceoffs, it bumps Boyle down which provides more depth

Maybe the Sabres will shake things up with a move. They have a ton of UFA F's, Boyes, and Hecht also on the list......Morrison could be a guy to take back if they want to move salary. Good minor league depth on D

Old
01-12-2012, 08:01 AM
NYR Viper

I would LOVE Gaustad. Perfect 3rd line center and he adds toughness and size as well as playoff experience. He or Moen would be upgrades over Mitchell.

Old
01-12-2012, 10:12 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esa 10 View Post
Look at teams with successful PPs in the league. They are based around hard shots from the point. ....
If I remember correctly, one consensus selection for a recent option believed available is Martinez from the Kings. Kudos to Zenith for leading the charge there, with apologies for omitting anyone else who chimed in.

I believe talk then was something like Dubi + maybe X for Martinez + LAK 2nd.
Kings fans like Dubi, but not his contract.

While moving Dubi + his salary may eventually be necessary, it is not an immediate concern, and we are thin at LW.
What offer can we focus on to get Martinez without WAY overspending in the prospect pool and delivering us a young, extra D who may be able to be our shooter from the point?

1. What do Kings want/need?
2. If we have that in house, who and will we pay that price?
3. If not, can we get from a third team, and if so, what price do we pay?

Anybody want to keep tabs on a Martinez to Rangers thread at the Kings forum, and review the results after the weekend?
Would do, but I'm booked.

Old
01-12-2012, 10:48 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

There are a lot of Leaf posters who think Kulemin is on his way out of Toronto. That's a name that intrigues me. The Rangers don't necessarily need another player of his type, but that's not to say that you wouldn't want more. He plays the LW, too.

Slats and Burke. A winning combination.

Old
01-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Esa 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
There are a lot of Leaf posters who think Kulemin is on his way out of Toronto. That's a name that intrigues me. The Rangers don't necessarily need another player of his type, but that's not to say that you wouldn't want more. He plays the LW, too...
Kulemin is having a rough season offensively (only 4 goals), but he potted 30 last year. He had two 15 goal years before that. Was last season an aberration? He might be an option if the more obvious targets fall through, but I wouldn't give up significant assets to get him. Something like a 3rd + Bourque or Yogan? He's a nice player overall though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
If I remember correctly, one consensus selection for a recent option believed available is Martinez from the Kings. Kudos to Zenith for leading the charge there, with apologies for omitting anyone else who chimed in.

I believe talk then was something like Dubi + maybe X for Martinez + LAK 2nd.
Kings fans like Dubi, but not his contract...
I don't know Martinez at all as a player, but here are 2 problems I see immediately.

First, he's young and only been in one play-off series. I think that given the age of our D-corps, a more veteran player would be preferable for balance.

Second, what do we do with Martinez next year? Erixon should be ready to go, the organization is high on him and invested 3 good assets to get him. Clark in his recent interview emphasized Erixon's offensive output in Hartford, so that seems like the role envisioned for him. I like Staal, McD, Girardi, MDZ, Sauer too much to move any of them to make room for someone like Martinez. This is without even thinking about McI in 2 years. I mean, I'd make room for a fantasy guy like Weber/Suter, but that's not the type of D we'd be getting at this deadline.

Basically, if there's no good vet to be had, I'd look at a guy like Martinez. But only if the cost is equivalent to a guy who's an upcoming UFA. Anything that involves roster guys like Dubi or Ani, top prospects, or a 1st round pick would be out of the question.

Old
01-12-2012, 12:29 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Kulemin is having a rough season offensively (only 4 goals), but he potted 30 last year. He had two 15 goal years before that. Was last season an aberration? He might be an option if the more obvious targets fall through, but I wouldn't give up significant assets to get him. Something like a 3rd + Bourque or Yogan? He's a nice player overall though.
That's a very low offer. Kulemin may not be a 30 goal scorer, but he's certainly capable of scoring 20-25 goals. He's a smart player, plus he's got size. He's getting less ice time, particularly on the PP. He has a lot in common with Callahan. Not as good, but reminiscent.

I wouldn't break the bank for him, either, because he isn't not a necessity for this club. But if a Ryan, a Doan is off the table, and Kulemin is available, I wouldn't be disappointed. You can also make the case that they should just go for a cheaper option like Prospal or Whitney. I don't think you can go wrong either way in this case.

Old
01-12-2012, 12:43 PM
bernmeister

Quote:

I don't know Martinez at all as a player, but here are 2 problems I see immediately.

First, he's young and only been in one play-off series. I think that given the age of our D-corps, a more veteran player would be preferable for balance.

Second, what do we do with Martinez next year? Erixon should be ready to go, the organization is high on him and invested 3 good assets to get him. Clark in his recent interview emphasized Erixon's offensive output in Hartford, so that seems like the role envisioned for him. I like Staal, McD, Girardi, MDZ, Sauer too much to move any of them to make room for someone like Martinez. This is without even thinking about McI in 2 years. I mean, I'd make room for a fantasy guy like Weber/Suter, but that's not the type of D we'd be getting at this deadline.

Basically, if there's no good vet to be had, I'd look at a guy like Martinez. But only if the cost is equivalent to a guy who's an upcoming UFA. Anything that involves roster guys like Dubi or Ani, top prospects, or a 1st round pick would be out of the question.
First --- would prefer to spend our capital in investment, not consumption.
A rental is here today, gone tomorrow. Let's get a keeper, or someone who can later have trade value if we flip him, or somebody else.

Second --- If Martinez is young, he is our 6th/7th now, plays PP gives shot from the point NOW. Next year open competition, not a problem.

Third --- agree want to keep it reasonable. Can't expect Kings to view this as use it or lose it situation, will want something for him, but we should be able to come up with something we both can live with...

thoughts anyone on what that is?

Old
01-12-2012, 12:55 PM
ecemleafs

id give a 2nd and prospect for kulemin. would let us put anisimov back at 3rd line C and give us more size toughness and scoring at LW.

Old
01-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
That's a very low offer. Kulemin may not be a 30 goal scorer, but he's certainly capable of scoring 20-25 goals. He's a smart player, plus he's got size. He's getting less ice time, particularly on the PP. He has a lot in common with Callahan. Not as good, but reminiscent.

I wouldn't break the bank for him, either, because he isn't not a necessity for this club. But if a Ryan, a Doan is off the table, and Kulemin is available, I wouldn't be disappointed. You can also make the case that they should just go for a cheaper option like Prospal or Whitney. I don't think you can go wrong either way in this case.
What is your opinion of adding Ruutu vs Kulemin?

Old
01-12-2012, 01:02 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

If Alec Martinez is available I would definitely inquire. I agree long-term he could be redundant but he gives us the shot our PP needs right now.

01-12-2012, 01:09 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
What is your opinion of adding Ruutu vs Kulemin?
Myself, I would say that Kulemin would be the better add, mainly because we'd get more mileage out of him and because we'd be buying low.

Ruutu is more realistic, however.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
01-12-2012, 01:26 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:

Kulemin wouldn't be a bad addition, but at the same time, I can't see the Leafs trading him away unless he's in a deal for a better player. They want to win and so do we. Makes it hard to get a deal done. He'd be a good fit with Stepan and Gaborik should Torts decide AA should be bumped down.

Old
01-12-2012, 02:16 PM
The Lone Ranger

Teemu Selanne for a Stanley Cup push?

With the Ducks headed for nowheresville this season, would Selanne be a good fit for the Rangers to make a run at the Cup? Since this is likely to be his final season, Selanne fits the bill perfectly for NY to acquire a still-potent scoring threat to go deep into this year's playoffs w/o mortgaging the future. What does everyone else think?

Old
01-12-2012, 02:16 PM
broadwayblue

He has a NMC. He'd have to waive it...and everyone says he loves the West coast.

Old
01-12-2012, 02:45 PM
Cliffy1814

Hemsky is a UFA. He's always hurt, but is almost a point a game player when he's healthy. Fits the "Top 6" bill for sure. I like Selanne too.
The issue with all of these guys (even the impending UFAs) will be compensation.
With almost everyone in a race and scoring at a premium, Ruutu, Hemsky, Selanne, Doan, etc will not be cheap even though they are UFAs.

Most Ranger fans seem very reluctant to part with any young assets, but at some point you have to say WTF and pull the trigger if you think you can win it all.

Old
01-12-2012, 02:55 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Did anyone see Milbury last night? He suggested Teemu Selanne for the Rangers. Teemu wanted no part of the All Star Game because he wants to spend the days off with his kids. Is he going to waive his NMC and move across the country?

The Rangers are looking at a top 6 forward and D for the PP. That line goes around the block.

Old
01-12-2012, 02:56 PM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
He has a NMC. He'd have to waive it...and everyone says he loves the West coast.
He loves the west yea, so it's unlikely, but we're not just any east coast team. 1, first and foremost, we're a legitimate cup contender. 2, this is NY, most players relish the opportunity to play here and in MSG. 3, let's say this is his final year, it's not conceivable that a player of that status would like to voluntarily end his career on such a down note - that team is not going to the playoffs barring some magical run. As a legit cup contender, we give him as good of a chance to win the cup again before he retires as any team. We have a sound cast, and he fills the need of a veteran, top 6 winger, who is playoff tested. We have a top 3 goalie in the league, if not the very best, who can steal a series if need be on his own. We have a playoff tested coach, who holds all players accountable as well. To do that all here, in NY, in front of the fans at MSG, I think could provide extra allure needed to waive his NMC.

From the East, I could see Selanne opening up his options to play for the Rangers, the Bruins, maybe even the Flyers.

Old
01-12-2012, 03:01 PM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Did anyone see Milbury last night? He suggested Teemu Selanne for the Rangers. Teemu wanted no part of the All Star Game because he wants to spend the days off with his kids. Is he going to waive his NMC and move across the country?

The Rangers are looking at a top 6 forward and D for the PP. That line goes around the block.
I think its a win-win for both sides.

That's the life of an athlete unfortunately. Maybe part of his unwillingness to waive it now, is because he'd like to spend as much time with his family before making the decision to waive it. If it's his final year, which many say it is, then 3-4 months away from his family might not be as bad in his eyes. I'm sure he'll fly them in here, or conditionally if he were to agree to waive it maybe he'd get the Rangers to fly them in. Another option is to temporarily relocate them for his stint (as in set them up in an apartment in the city and have them go to school here and live with him) for 3-4 months.

I've seen stranger things done by families of relocating athletes.

Old
01-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Esa 10

Quote:

I don't watch the Leafs that often, so I might be undervaluing Kulemin. I'm certainly more than willing to defer to your opinion on his value as a player, and I do like Kulemin's overall game.

Here's why I'm hesitant to give up much for him. The Rangers are a really young team (2nd youngest overall or just on defense in NHL, I don't remember exactly.) Kulemin has never been to the play-offs, at 25 he's young himself. In terms of team balance, they are better off getting a rental who brings intangibles that come with experience.

His scoring this year is a concern because sometimes players just have lost seasons. Higgins in NY/Calgary, Gaby last year are examples of this. If Kulemin plays well in NY, but the puck won't go in for him, the trade doesn't accomplish its goal. We already have players who are excelling in most facets of the game but don't produce enough offense. Of course other times a trade will rejuvinate a player and they'll go on a tear. It's a tough call.

Kulemin's scoring is likely to rebound next season, but is there room for him in NY? Kreider needs a spot on LW. The cap space will still be limited. If a currently more productive player like Whitney also happens to be a cheaper trade option, I would certainly choose him. I view the fact that he's older than Kulemin as actually a plus for this particular team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
First --- would prefer to spend our capital in investment, not consumption.
A rental is here today, gone tomorrow. Let's get a keeper, or someone who can later have trade value if we flip him, or somebody else.

Second --- If Martinez is young, he is our 6th/7th now, plays PP gives shot from the point NOW. Next year open competition, not a problem.

Third --- agree want to keep it reasonable. Can't expect Kings to view this as use it or lose it situation, will want something for him, but we should be able to come up with something we both can live with...

thoughts anyone on what that is?
I understand your point about maximizing assets and it's appealing in theory. It would be nice to pick up Martinez for a rental price and then flip him somewhere else in the summer. However, in your original post you mentioned Dubinsky and to me, a roster player like him or his equivalent in prospect assets is a non-starter. Not for a D who'll be on the 3rd pair and likely won't have a spot next year.

There's also a fine line between trying to win now and squeezing every drop out of your assets. This is a very young team with an even younger defense. Veteran experience becomes invaluable as the play-offs progress. A young kid like Martinez is likely to return a similar prospect/pick that you invested in him, but he's less likely to make a play crucial to winning or play error-free hockey deep in a series. Or help all the young defensemen already here get through a tough stretch. And that's the point of making this trade for a D in the 1st place. To maximize the chances of winning this year. Next year's defense is shaping up fine as is, no need to invest any assets in it.

Old
01-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Esa 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
With the Ducks headed for nowheresville this season, would Selanne be a good fit for the Rangers to make a run at the Cup? Since this is likely to be his final season, Selanne fits the bill perfectly for NY to acquire a still-potent scoring threat to go deep into this year's playoffs w/o mortgaging the future. What does everyone else think?
I love Selanne, but there are 2 potential problems.

1st, based on past statements, he's extremely unlikely to waive his NMC, especially for an East Coast team. I remember reading interviews where he stated his intention to retire as a Duck. He already has his cup ring.

2nd, price. He'll command at the very minimum a 1st round pick + prospect. Far more likely a 1st + a very good prospet. Maybe quiet a bit more on top of that. He's having a great season (16th in scoring) and last year's prices for inferior players like Kaberle, Penner, Versteeg were high. I'm loath to give up that much for a guy who's certain not to be here next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy1814 View Post
Hemsky is a UFA. He's always hurt, but is almost a point a game player when he's healthy. Fits the "Top 6" bill for sure. I like Selanne too.
The issue with all of these guys (even the impending UFAs) will be compensation.
With almost everyone in a race and scoring at a premium, Ruutu, Hemsky, Selanne, Doan, etc will not be cheap even though they are UFAs.

Most Ranger fans seem very reluctant to part with any young assets, but at some point you have to say WTF and pull the trigger if you think you can win it all.
Doan is not getting traded unless the Yotes fall out of contention and he's not willing to re-sign there. It's extremely unlikely both happen. I think he's the big name/often mentioned UFA least likely to move.

Hemsky, as you said, is always injured. He's also having a torrid season, both in terms of scoring and general play. He just looks horrible on the ice in all three zones. He's also a RW, who according to Oil fans, had trouble playing on the left even during his good seasons. He'd be the quintessiantial square peg in a rou...

Ruutu is a very good option. He fits a lot of needs on this team. The only problem is he'll have many suitors, so the price is likely to be high. If it's a 2nd + mid-range prospect, they have to do it. Do we trade a 1st for him though, if that's what it takes? If Sather thinks he fits under the cap and intends to re-sign him, I'd probably say go for it. If he's a pure rental, I'd be hesitant to give up a 1st at this point.

Closed Thread