HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Sedins in HHOF as a duo?

Old
01-05-2012, 08:37 PM
Le CH

vCash: 500
Sedins in HHOF as a duo?

As a hypothetical discussion, wouldn't it be interesting/unique if they were voted into the HHOF as a duo? They might very well have the numbers to make it in individually at the end of their career but given how they have played on the same line since they were kids and that their stats are almost identical, wouldn't it be amazing to see them voted in as the first "duo"?

I'm sure there are rules about being inducted and also not sure how this would be administratively possible since its a vote but their careers seem so intertwined and unlikely to ever happen again, it would really seem fitting.

Le CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 10:34 PM
jigglysquishy

vCash: 492
I was under the impression they played separately until they were teenagers.

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:58 PM
RabbinsDuck

I'm sure if one makes it, the other will most likely get inducted as well, but to induct them as one would really be insulting, IMO.

So yeah, I'd be ok with it.

RabbinsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 12:44 AM
Moonrock77

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbinsDuck View Post
I'm sure if one makes it, the other will most likely get inducted as well, but to induct them as one would really be insulting, IMO.

So yeah, I'd be ok with it.
Extremely insulting. As if they are Siamese twins or something, connected at the forehead.

Moonrock77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 04:29 AM
begbeee

I dont like the idea. And I still doesnt see them as HOF material.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:29 AM
Der Kaiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
The only player to win the Art Ross who's not in the Hall of Fame (and eligible) is Herb Cain, who won it (technically the trophy didn't exist though) during the 1943-44 war depleted season.

Likewise, the only players to win the Hart trophy while not being inducted are Al Rollins, Tommy Anderson and Eric Lindros.

Henrik Sedin already won both of these trophies and might be on pace for a very high scoring finish this year aswell. His career up to this point is strikingly similar to e.g. Martin St Louis, without the Stanley Cup (which he came very close to winning).

Barring any career-ending injuries or other overhwelming career events I am confident that both of the Sedin brothers will end up as Hall of Famers. Another 2 or 3 years like this one for Henrik and he should be comfortably over the threshold. Another one winning multiple trophies and he's about as surefire as they come.

Der Kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 08:24 AM
SidGenoMario

vCash: 511
They'd have to be inducted as a duo. Do you really want to see a highlight package and speech from Daniel, and then the exact same thing again for Henrik?

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:22 AM
MadLuke

They will be inducted imo, and the same year's. They are so consistent every year's, that they will not miss the opportunity to shine in the nhl without the top3 performing.

MadLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:15 AM
begbeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
The only player to win the Art Ross who's not in the Hall of Fame (and eligible) is Herb Cain, who won it (technically the trophy didn't exist though) during the 1943-44 war depleted season.

Likewise, the only players to win the Hart trophy while not being inducted are Al Rollins, Tommy Anderson and Eric Lindros.

Henrik Sedin already won both of these trophies and might be on pace for a very high scoring finish this year aswell. His career up to this point is strikingly similar to e.g. Martin St Louis, without the Stanley Cup (which he came very close to winning).

Barring any career-ending injuries or other overhwelming career events I am confident that both of the Sedin brothers will end up as Hall of Famers. Another 2 or 3 years like this one for Henrik and he should be comfortably over the threshold. Another one winning multiple trophies and he's about as surefire as they come.
You can add to them Jose Theodore soon and Corey Perry is questionable too. So are Sedins for me.
Peak of Eric Lindros was higher than Sedin's one, Sedins can't match his point totals yet, not to mention ppg. I would not vote for them yet.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
By the end of their careers they should be. I still think Vancouver is winning the Cup within the next 5 years.

They're only 30-31 right now, and they don't play a style of hockey that will cause them to regress, I think they can be just as good as they are right now when they are 35.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 12:40 PM
Kresnik

I think the Sedins are being extremely discriminated due the fact that they are twins, they don't get the recognition they deserve nor do people appreciated their skill. They are unique though, being twins and been playing together for such a long time, but they should get recognition as a individual because that's what they are, beyond their physical and somewhat personal similarity they are actually different player with different types of skills.

Kresnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 01:00 PM
tony d
The franchise

Both guys, should they keep up their pace of the past 3-4 seasons, are hall of famers. Don't know if they enter as a duo though.

01-06-2012, 01:26 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

The HHOF really should have inducted Makarov and Larionov as a duo....

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 02:08 PM
jkrx

Quote:

I just hate this argument. I do agree that they've had HoF careers or close to it but someone is going to be the first to not get inducted to the HoF even if they win a hart or/and a Art Ross.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 02:51 PM
Ishdul

Quote:
I don't know what you're seeing then, although I agree that putting them in as a duo is stupid.

Quote:
You can add to them Jose Theodore soon and Corey Perry is questionable too. So are Sedins for me.
Peak of Eric Lindros was higher than Sedin's one, Sedins can't match his point totals yet, not to mention ppg. I would not vote for them yet.
I don't think people were implying that both Sedins could retire right this second and go to the Hall of Fame. They look like they're going to have very long careers and both will have peaks as arguably the best player in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
I just hate this argument. I do agree that they've had HoF careers or close to it but someone is going to be the first to not get inducted to the HoF even if they win a hart or/and a Art Ross.
I agree, but their is a point to this as far as the odds of them getting in are concerned. I think with any Hart/Art Ross winner there'd have to be more of a reason to keep them out than to put them in. Jose Theodore is, barring a miraculous resurgence or comical HHOF voting, not going to get into the Hall of Fame, but you can clearly see why; one incredible season, a bunch others that are good and not great and several outright bad seasons, with his Hart trophy being the closest vote ever in what is often perceived as a weak season for Hart candidates. Theodore is pretty much what you'd have to be in terms of a Hart trophy winner who doesn't get into the Hall. The Sedins have put up 2 elite seasons, had several strong seasons beforehand, are having another elite season each this year and I don't think there's any reason to expect them to fall off the face of the Earth next year.

Ishdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Hot Water Bottle

It would be more interesting if one twin is inducted and the other isn't. Maybe they just look identical on the surface, but one of them has the intangibles and one doesn't.

Hot Water Bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 04:30 PM
SidGenoMario

vCash: 511
Neither of them jump out as HoF candidates, but Henrik at least captained a Canadian team for a number of years and led his team to the Cup final. Henrik deserves a spot. Daniel? Not a chance.

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 04:31 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

If they keep up this level of production for a few years and hit the 1000 games/1000 points barriers (both possible), I see them as getting into the HHOF. As individuals.

If they win a Stanley Cup, I think that becomes 100% certain.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Der Kaiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
I don't necessarily think it's an argument. It's more of an observation. Personally I'd prefer if players were inducted in the Hall of Fame by merit of actual fame, and not only what they produced on the ice.

Der Kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 04:54 PM
MadLuke

Quote:
I don't necessarily think it's an argument. It's more of an observation. Personally I'd prefer if players were inducted in the Hall of Fame by merit of actual fame, and not only what they produced on the ice.
Have to be some kind both I suppose, because on fame only, bob Probert, tiger Williams, Tie Domi and Avery would be good candidate.

MadLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Big Phil

There are certainly shaping up to be HHOFers in my book. It did take them a while to figure out this league and become legitimate stars but now that they'd arrived right near the top it is clear to me they aren't dropping any time soon. They are going to be on a great team for a long time as well. I know there are a collection of us that never want to see Vancouver win the Cup but even if they don't win, they are becoming very difficult to ignore.

I think they need some work though. They have a low PPG because they didn't break out until several years into their career - I mean truly breakout. Plus their playoff portfolio could use some work. Lots of disapointing runs by the Canucks, and they were partly at fault for some of them.

But do they go in as a duo? No, they are two people. Chances are they will be inducted the same year though for the very reason that since they negotiate their contracts the same then they will retire the same year. But they are individuals. Could one get in and the other not? Doubt it, although Henrik probably has had the better career ever so slightly

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:32 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le CH View Post
As a hypothetical discussion, wouldn't it be interesting/unique if they were voted into the HHOF as a duo? They might very well have the numbers to make it in individually at the end of their career but given how they have played on the same line since they were kids and that their stats are almost identical, wouldn't it be amazing to see them voted in as the first "duo"?

I'm sure there are rules about being inducted and also not sure how this would be administratively possible since its a vote but their careers seem so intertwined and unlikely to ever happen again, it would really seem fitting.
They will have to be PPG players at minimum until they're in their late 30's to even have a shot at the HOF...

They're 31 and have only had 3 elite seasons....

697 points in 827 games and 714 points in 851 games are not HOF numbers.

Hawksfan2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 05:36 AM
revolverjgw

If one of them ends up winning the Art Ross yet again again this year (with the other surely just a couple of points back), I don't see how you can possibly keep them out.

revolverjgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 07:43 AM
Slapshooter

I can see this happen if they keep elite level a little longer or win the Cup once. It is hard to even think them as individuals. Don't like them, though.

Slapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 02:42 PM
popculturereference

I wouldn't put them in right now, but they are on their way. I don't remember much pre-lockout about them, but they were only getting 12-13 minutes on average, and put some decent totals with that time. Daniel put up 54 points with an average of 13:33 in 03-04.

The big knock against them is their lack of playoff success. Right now, they look like lesser Joe Thornton's.

Also, since the lockout, Henrik is fourth in scoring, while Daniel is sixth. I think that's fairly significant.

popculturereference is offline   Reply With Quote