HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Why teams struggling between the pipe didnt trade for a goalie yet?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-28-2012, 01:52 AM
  #76
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,927
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundCake View Post
You must be crazy, he wont even be 40 by then. I dunno how I feel about signing a goalie that young...
Still, I think he's been more than ready to take a full time starting position for a few years now. They can either let Thomas play out his contract or they can trade him before then and they can use that cap space to further beef up their blueline or their top 6 up front.

Boston is obviously an elite team but they don't score enough points.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 02:10 AM
  #77
joe89
#5
 
joe89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 16,686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
They have Hackett who Wild fans see as the heir to Backstrom.
And they also have Johan Gustafsson.. I guess they just don't want to rush things. Backstrom still has good years ahead of him, Hackett is only 21 and Gustafsson's 20th birthday apparently is today. It's better for Hackett's development to play a lot in the AHL and for Gustafsson to play a lot in Europe as long as Backstrom is the undisputable starter.

We'll see if they can re-sign Harding though. I guess Hackett being backup next season and Gustafsson going overseas to play in the AHL is possible. See what they got before Backstrom's contract starts to expire. I see Gustafsson playing 45 games in the SEL and in International competition next season though, so it would be good for his development to stay at least one more year.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:30 AM
  #78
Benders Lindyhop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 4,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
After deadline bump....i think its on topic.....

Only Ottawa made a move for Bishop, none other goalies was traded.

So im asking again why team struggling between pipe didn't make a move?

Tampa, Bay ? Waiting next summer (but why didnt they do something all season long?)
Colombus? Waiting next summer
Toronto? I guess not willing to pay a lot for a goalie, they hope their goalie will do the jobs.
Flyers? I guess they hope their goalies will turn around.

But why these team didn't do anything all season long?

Are you surprised some upcoming UFA like Nabokov, Montoya, Harding, Sanford wasn't traded? Personally i was expecting one of Montoya or Nabokov to go....
The Lightning need a goalie for sure, nobody is going to dispute that. But until something with the D it wouldn't have helped all that much. Our goalies face a whole lot of shots, and they come from right around the net in bunches.

I'm thinking that Yzerman took a look at the FA market for goalies and D and decided that it was easier to make upgrades at defense now(however minor those upgrades might be)than have to do it all during the offseason. The speculation in TB is that at least a few of those picks he's been stockpiling can go in a package to land a good goalie that wouldn't be available until after the playoffs.

I would have liked Bishop, but still thinking that Yzerman has a bigger name in mind as an offseason project.

Benders Lindyhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:33 AM
  #79
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,416
vCash: 1599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
The fact that Bishop garnered a 2nd round pick shoots a hole right through your valuation of Cory Schneider btw.
that is the first person I thought of

__________________
not sure how--but the fish just jumped in the boat and put the hook in it's mouth
52299/14814
The twenty year rebuild is on!!! Embrace the suck
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:50 AM
  #80
FakeKidPoker*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,681
vCash: 500
I have no idea why the Hawks didn't trade for Khabibulin he is better than Crawford or Emery at this point.

He is old and has one year left on his deal but he is still good and that is really all that matters.

FakeKidPoker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:24 AM
  #81
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor
 
BruinsBtn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,543
vCash: 500
I don't understand why so many teams go into the season with question marks in net. Sure, the guy you have might breakout ... But if he doesn't, you just flushed an entire season down the toilet.

I think this is just the beginning of the start of a long-term rise in the value of proven goalies. If I'm Boston, I sign Rask to a big, long-term deal and draft another goalie high. In 3-4 years anyone who doesnt have a proven goalie and a solid backup or bluechip prospect at the start of the season will look foolish.

Gambling in net is so stupid.

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:40 AM
  #82
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,032
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
After deadline bump....i think its on topic.....

Only Ottawa made a move for Bishop, none other goalies was traded.

So im asking again why team struggling between pipe didn't make a move?

Tampa, Bay ? Waiting next summer (but why didnt they do something all season long?)
Colombus? Waiting next summer
Toronto? I guess not willing to pay a lot for a goalie, they hope their goalie will do the jobs.
Flyers? I guess they hope their goalies will turn around.

But why these team didn't do anything all season long?

Are you surprised some upcoming UFA like Nabokov, Montoya, Harding, Sanford wasn't traded? Personally i was expecting one of Montoya or Nabokov to go....
TB and CBJ really had no reason to make a play for a goalie. Sanford I'm a bit shocked that he wasn't moved, but he could very well be re-signed at some point. Same goes for the rest.

TOR and PHI will hear it if their goaltending doesn't hold up, but it's doubtful that acquiring a goalie that was available meant instant success.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:55 AM
  #83
palindrom
Registered User
 
palindrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsButton View Post
I don't understand why so many teams go into the season with question marks in net. Sure, the guy you have might breakout ... But if he doesn't, you just flushed an entire season down the toilet.

I think this is just the beginning of the start of a long-term rise in the value of proven goalies. If I'm Boston, I sign Rask to a big, long-term deal and draft another goalie high. In 3-4 years anyone who doesnt have a proven goalie and a solid backup or bluechip prospect at the start of the season will look foolish.

Gambling in net is so stupid.
Who took the biggest gamble last summer? Philadelphia or Florida?


the flyers took the safe approach this season with at last a proven #01 in Bryzgalov. No Gambling this time, its so stupid.

Tampa did the same by Awarding 3 500 000$ to a proven Roloson....No more gambling with Ellis or Smith...its so Stupid.

You know what? i think the gambling and risky proposition is to Give a big contract to a proven goalie or giving asset to acquire a goalie (Varlamov). If you go very cheap...its not a big risk....if you are wrong, it will be easier to waive or move your 1 500 000$ goalie, than a 5 333 000$ Bryzgalov or 3 500 000$ Roloson.


but i agree the goalie market could change in the future.....

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:59 AM
  #84
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North
 
blasted_Sabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Muskoka
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
How?

Bishop is a young candidate for the AHL goalie of the years award and according to Eklund ''is believed to be an absolute star in the making''

So the price to acquire one of the best goalie prospect not playing in the league is only a 2nd ? An old upcoming UFA like Hall Gill garnered more than that!

The way i see it, the value of Schneider 2-3 years ago was probably close to Bishop value now.

And now that Schneider is heading to RFA status, and being vulnerable to an offer sheet..it will be interesting to follow....
Hal Gill is a terrible comparison. Gill is a proven playoff warrior with a recent Cup ring around his finger.

You are also forgetting that Bishop was also UFA, and at 25 years old has played only a handful of NHL games. Thats not exactly flattering, and I think Ottawa overpaid.

As for whyt he Leafs didnt get a goalie; Burke made it clear he wasnt expending meaningful assets to get whipped in the first round.

If we make it, we make it. If we dont, we dont. Nothing lost.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:02 AM
  #85
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Two words: Boyd Devereaux. You wanna see what one player can do to crush a fans hope of getting a better pick. Look him up and how he crushed Leafs nation. We will never forgive him.
And that is incredibly stupid, no one considers that Brian Elliott shouldn't have let Boyd Devereaux score a hat trick on him.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:10 AM
  #86
palindrom
Registered User
 
palindrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Hal Gill is a terrible comparison. Gill is a proven playoff warrior with a recent Cup ring around his finger.

You are also forgetting that Bishop was also UFA, and at 25 years old has played only a handful of NHL games. Thats not exactly flattering, and I think Ottawa overpaid.

As for whyt he Leafs didnt get a goalie; Burke made it clear he wasnt expending meaningful assets to get whipped in the first round.

If we make it, we make it. If we dont, we dont. Nothing lost.
Bishop never ever been UFA! and he wasn't expected to become UFA as well.

Ottawa only had to keep him playing a minimum of game to keep their right on him...and thrust me if Bishop hadn't signed a new contract they would had done it.

So last week Bishop value was more or less a Blake Geoffrion less than a Hall Gill and a good deal less than a Gaustad.

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:14 AM
  #87
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North
 
blasted_Sabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Muskoka
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
Bishop never ever been UFA! and he wasn't expected to become UFA as well.

Ottawa only had to keep him playing a minimum of game to keep their right on him...and thrust me if Bishop hadn't signed a new contract they would had done it.

So last week Bishop value was more or less a Blake Geoffrion less than a Hall Gill and a good deal less than a Gaustad.
He was just as much a UFA as Hal Gill was.

And is Bishop even on the Sens roster? Do we know he would have played enough games during a playoff race to qualify? Would the Sens play him over Auld or Lehner?

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:18 AM
  #88
gifted88
Dante the poet
 
gifted88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Guelph, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,319
vCash: 500
Why trade for Nabokov and potentially still miss the playoffs when you can just sign him in the off-season?

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:22 AM
  #89
palindrom
Registered User
 
palindrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
He was just as much a UFA as Hal Gill was.

And is Bishop even on the Sens roster? Do we know he would have played enough games during a playoff race to qualify? Would the Sens play him over Auld or Lehner?
Hal Gill is UFA eligible Summer 2012, Bishop isn't, wont be and wasn't expected to become one. Its as simple as that.. Its a good educated guess that Ottawa acquired him to be played over Auld and Lehner. Also Bishop was only needed to be played 30 minutes so a game will count for the minimum games required to maintain the right on him.

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:26 AM
  #90
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,032
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
Hal Gill is UFA eligible Summer 2012, Bishop isn't, wont be and wasn't expected to become one. Its as simple as that.. Its a good educated guess that Ottawa acquired him to be played over Auld and Lehner. Also Bishop was only needed to be played 30 minutes so a game will count for the minimum games required to maintain the right on him.
Yes he was. He needed to play 17 NHL games in order to be a RFA.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:38 AM
  #91
palindrom
Registered User
 
palindrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Yes he was. He needed to play 17 NHL games in order to be a RFA.
and Ottawa, or Tampa or whatever team acquiring him would have played him 17 games (at least 30 minutes) and maintain his right.

Let face it...Isnt not what you would do as a GM ? I dont see any GM stupid enough to let one of the best Goalie prospect in the world walk away for nothing when its easy to maintain his right..and you know what? Ottawa just showed the world i am right by not letting this happen.

Hall Gill is a potential UFA, Bishop isnt one, he wont be UFA, he was only a potential RFA unless he was acquired by a stupid GM enough to let him reach UFA status when its easy enough to keep their right on him.

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:40 AM
  #92
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,032
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
and Ottawa, or Tampa or whatever team acquiring him would have played him 17 games (at least 30 minutes) and maintain his right.

Let face it...Isnt not what you would do as a GM ? I dont see any GM stupid enough to let one of the best Goalie prospect in the world walk away for nothing when its easy to maintain his right..and you know what? Ottawa just showed the world i am right by not letting this happen.

Hall Gill is a potential UFA, Bishop isnt one, he wont be UFA, he was only a potential RFA unless he was acquired by a stupid GM enough to let him reach UFA status when its easy enough to keep their right on him.
You really think Ottawa who is in a playoff hunt is going to play him 17 of 18 games? Quite doubtful. Maybe TB does, but I doubt Bishop can even handle playing that many games without getting tired.

There is also little to suggest Bishop is even good enough to get those games.

Bishop best goalie prospect in the world?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:54 AM
  #93
palindrom
Registered User
 
palindrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
You really think Ottawa who is in a playoff hunt is going to play him 17 of 18 games? Quite doubtful. Maybe TB does, but I doubt Bishop can even handle playing that many games without getting tired.

There is also little to suggest Bishop is even good enough to get those games.

Bishop best goalie prospect in the world?
First of all, i really believe they had a contract agreement prior to the trade and it all make this a moot point. This contract agreement is the reason in the first place Ottawa was willing to give as much as a 2nd. Without this agreement, maybe Ottawa offer only a 3th-5th, or Tampa does it (i think Yzerman offered a 3th).

And yes, without contract agreement they totally give 17 x 30 minutes to Bishop. Would not you do that if you was Tampa bay? what do you have to lose?

So the odds that Bishop reach UFA status was equal to the odds he doesn't accept a contract X the odds of an injury. Since he indeed accepted a contract these odds was 0%.

The odds that Gill Reach UFA? i would say 90%

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:58 AM
  #94
Guardian452
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
You really think Ottawa who is in a playoff hunt is going to play him 17 of 18 games? Quite doubtful. Maybe TB does, but I doubt Bishop can even handle playing that many games without getting tired.

There is also little to suggest Bishop is even good enough to get those games.

Bishop best goalie prospect in the world?
I agree. Bishop wasn't even St. Louis's top goalie prospect. They were likely ready to let him go through free agency. Another year in the AHL and Jake Allen is probably ready for the NHL. Bishop is just a rental until Lehner is ready to be a full-time NHL starter.

Guardian452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:58 AM
  #95
Blank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
You really think Ottawa who is in a playoff hunt is going to play him 17 of 18 games? Quite doubtful. Maybe TB does, but I doubt Bishop can even handle playing that many games without getting tired.
They didn't need to.. He extended, but the option was there and it's a great "negotiation aid"

Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:01 AM
  #96
palindrom
Registered User
 
palindrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post

Bishop best goalie prospect in the world?
Ok i give it to you, this is a bit strong and misleading.

The ''most ready prospect not playing in the NHL''

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:12 AM
  #97
Blank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian452 View Post
I agree. Bishop wasn't even St. Louis's top goalie prospect. They were likely ready to let him go through free agency. Another year in the AHL and Jake Allen is probably ready for the NHL. Bishop is just a rental until Lehner is ready to be a full-time NHL starter.
Bishop was way better than Allen in Peoria.. And the difference was more than one season worth of development.

Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:49 AM
  #98
GordieHoweHatTrick
Registered User
 
GordieHoweHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeKidPoker View Post
I have no idea why the Hawks didn't trade for Khabibulin he is better than Crawford or Emery at this point.

He is old and has one year left on his deal but he is still good and that is really all that matters.
I have no idea why any team with goaltending issues wouldn't try and acquire some help and hope to catch lightning in a bottle. I'm not a big fan of making large splashes at the deadline because forwards and defenseman take time acclimating themselves to new systems and linemates, goalies just go and protect the 6 feet in between each post. Huge reward with little risk imo so I just can't seem to get onto the same line of thinking as NHL GMs in these instances.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:23 PM
  #99
sanityplease
Registered User
 
sanityplease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 758
vCash: 50
I assumed that Bishop was UFA after his year with Ottawa (2012-13). Which IMO was an overpayment by Murray.

BUT, capgeek has him listed as becoming an RFA then. If true, it could become a really great deal as the Sens will still control his contract @ that time. Can anyone confirm if that's true?

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:34 PM
  #100
palindrom
Registered User
 
palindrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanityplease View Post
I assumed that Bishop was UFA after his year with Ottawa (2012-13). Which IMO was an overpayment by Murray.

BUT, capgeek has him listed as becoming an RFA then. If true, it could become a really great deal as the Sens will still control his contract @ that time. Can anyone confirm if that's true?
After looking into it....Bishop is effectively RFA summer 2013

Murray publicly say he had an agreement for a one year extension with Bishop included in the trade...This agreement is the reason he was willing to give as much as a 2th for him. So we cant base Bishop value as a future UFA, but as a player St-Louis was forced to trade to the best bidder.

Without this agreement Ottawa doesn't offer as much as a 2nd and Bishop could had ended in Tampa Bay instead for a 3th round. Then Tampa Bay could had signed Bishop or play him for at least 17 games and keep their right on him.

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.