HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thoughts?

Old
01-08-2012, 09:32 AM
glenngineer

vCash: 500
If I remember correctly I've heard on TV/Radio/Media that next season the Preds will not be a mid cap team anymore. It doesn't mean we will spend to the cap but it appears the wallets will be opening. They already have with the signing of Rinne. This came to me last night while watching the game.

Re-sign Suter and Weber to the deals they deserve. Get Radulov to commit to next season to complete his contract with the promise of negotiating a new contract for him. Go out and get a top notch forward via free agency. My choice would be Parise if he's out there. Why not have Suter go have a little chat with his buddy, "off the record" and say we'd love to have you play in Nashville, it's a great place to play and you're the one player to take us over the top. I know it's a touchy subject area but I think you all get my point. In making these moves, we don't give up our top pairing, gain two much needed snipers, one of whom is another great leader who can play in all situations and all of a sudden, the money that we've spent is covered by having a full barn because we have a freaking great team ready to compete for the prize.

That's just me and the people who say we can't do it because of salary concerns, if we up our spending, these moves should be able to happen and we still have the ability to add a piece or two if necessary. Couple this with the improved play of Wilson this year and some of the other young pieces and we will look very good for a very long time, especially with some other young pieces developing in the minors and juniors right now.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 10:28 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeyh View Post
Basically, if you re-sign S&W, you're committing the franchise to becoming a cap team, rather than a midpoint team.

At that point, building around them becomes a lot easier.

You simply cannot have Weber, Suter, Rinne taking up 21-23m and expect to build a winner.
..unless Nashville intends to be a cap team. At various times, between Trotz, Poile, Cogen, etc., we've heard that Nashville will be anywhere from "closer to the cap" to actually being "a cap team".

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
If I remember correctly I've heard on TV/Radio/Media that next season the Preds will not be a mid cap team anymore. It doesn't mean we will spend to the cap but it appears the wallets will be opening. They already have with the signing of Rinne. This came to me last night while watching the game.

Re-sign Suter and Weber to the deals they deserve. Get Radulov to commit to next season to complete his contract with the promise of negotiating a new contract for him. Go out and get a top notch forward via free agency. My choice would be Parise if he's out there. Why not have Suter go have a little chat with his buddy, "off the record" and say we'd love to have you play in Nashville, it's a great place to play and you're the one player to take us over the top. I know it's a touchy subject area but I think you all get my point. In making these moves, we don't give up our top pairing, gain two much needed snipers, one of whom is another great leader who can play in all situations and all of a sudden, the money that we've spent is covered by having a full barn because we have a freaking great team ready to compete for the prize.

That's just me and the people who say we can't do it because of salary concerns, if we up our spending, these moves should be able to happen and we still have the ability to add a piece or two if necessary. Couple this with the improved play of Wilson this year and some of the other young pieces and we will look very good for a very long time, especially with some other young pieces developing in the minors and juniors right now.
You can't re-sign Suter to $7 million and Weber to approximately $7 million and then be able to add a $6+ million Parise without dropping some salary- even for a cap max team.

Several players are going to need new contracts- some with decent raises like Wilson. You could let Kostitsyn walk to give you a little breathing room, but most of that likely goes right to Colin Wilson (using your scenario of no trades).

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 10:45 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
..unless Nashville intends to be a cap team. At various times, between Trotz, Poile, Cogen, etc., we've heard that Nashville will be anywhere from "closer to the cap" to actually being "a cap team".

You can't re-sign Suter to $7 million and Weber to approximately $7 million and then be able to add a $6+ million Parise without dropping some salary- even for a cap max team.

Several players are going to need new contracts- some with decent raises like Wilson. You could let Kostitsyn walk to give you a little breathing room, but most of that likely goes right to Colin Wilson (using your scenario of no trades).
Sure you can. I just looked at some teams near the cap and it's happening with some teams. It's tight and tough but it can be done. Maybe you don't drop $7 million a piece on Suter and Weber. Maybe negotiate in the $6 million range and get Parise in for that amount. Even if we didn't do that, say S&W both get $7 million, that's a bump of $3 million in salary for those two plus a bump of $3 million for Rinne. We are $49 million of spending this season with almost $15 million to spend. Add the $6 million for bumps in salary for the big 3 and that's still $9 million left over. Couple that with some bumps in salary and you're still playing with $3 million to do that. It's possible. Difficult to do yes, but possible. And if we were to add a guy like Parise at say the cost of an SK, we lose $2.5 million in salary there adding to the $3 million we had in reserves after signing Parise to a $6 million deal. We also gain close to $2 million back the following season since the buyouts for Dumont and and Lebda will be finished.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote