HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Displace Bolts fan

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2012, 12:43 PM
SteveYzermanic91

vCash: 500
Displace Bolts fan

Post here about being a Bolts fan and not living in Flordia...GO LIGHTNING

Old
01-06-2012, 01:48 PM
JFleegs

Im a Lightning fan living in upstate Ny. Became a fan in 2001 when I went to orlando for vacation and caught a couple games on tv. I was brought up in hockey my whole life, lost interest around 98 when the binghamton rangers left town and the Lightning got me addicted again. From then on out Ive been a die hard lightning fan.

Old
01-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Xenophobia Catalyst
Legendary

vCash: 3073
Became a Lightning fan from the start when I started playing hockey and they came into the leauge. I decided that since I was starting out I would cheer for a team also starting out. Watching the 2004 finals was quite the experiance living in Calgary. No one really cared I was a Lightning fan up till that point.

Old
01-06-2012, 02:49 PM
HangingWithMrCooper

I grew up in Tampa and became a Lightning fan at 13 during the first season. Left Tampa in 95 for Asheville, NC and reside in Greenville, SC currently. I watch every game on Center Ice and attend as many games as possible. I'm currently bumming as Atlanta was the closest option for Bolts hockey (and we usually dominated the Trashers) but now have to travel to Raleigh or Nashville to see the team. I usually make at least one trip a year to Tampa to see the Bolts and Bucs play in their barns. I don't know a single person here in SC who is a big hockey fan and only a few people who are passive fans. It makes it tough to talk puck but luckily the interwebs help bridge the gap.

Old
01-06-2012, 02:57 PM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
I'm from Germany. Kinda silly now but at the age of 13-14 and as an avid inline hockey player and fan of the local team at the time I became a fan of the Lightning because of NHL 98 and 99 and things got serious with the emerge of the internet.

Old
01-06-2012, 03:25 PM
toob

Grew up in the suburbs of Detroit during the glory days of the Wings from the mid 90s to early 00s and was a huge fan of the team at the time. Started getting interested in hockey in general outside of one team in the late 90s. I remember following and supporting Tampa Bay during the 04 cup run after the semifinals when the Red Wings were eliminated especially in the finals against Calgary who i hated for eliminating my team but aside from that wasnt exactly a Bolts fan.

By the mid 00s i was losing my interest in hockey in general due to getting more busy in life but especially because i was losing interest in the Wings.

So many of the players that i had watched and loved growing up like Fedorov, Larionov, Robitaille, Hull, Yzerman, Shanahan were leaving the team. When my favorite player Robert Lang left the team after 07 i basically stopped being a Red Wings fan but by then i was getting interested in hockey in general again and what especially caught my eye was Vinny and Marty making magic. I still think Vinny was the best player in the 07 season and especially the calender year of 2007. Shame he declined so rapidly in the 2nd half of 08. I was following Lang around in Chicago, Montreal, Phoenix but i was also trying to follow Vinny and Marty as much as i could at the very least through highlights.

By the 10 season Lang had basically retired but Stevie Wonder Yzerman who is right up there with Lang as one of my favorites ever had become GM of the Lightning so i began following the team especially later in the season. Also Lang was getting calls by the Lightning for that season (Stevie Y liked the guy in Detroit when they played together) and i cant help but wonder how awesome it would have been if he signed here. This last playoff run was the most fun ive had watching hockey in a long time.

I still dont get the chance watch every game (i still watch a lot of Detroit games due to my location) and many games i do watch have to be on the online streams unfortunately and i dont post much on this board but id say im all in by this point.

Old
01-06-2012, 03:26 PM
zeykshade

Native Floridian. Went to college at USF in 1992. Became a fan that year. Live in Bruins/Islanders/Rangers/Devils country now. Can't stand any of them.

Left Florida in 2001 and haven't been back, so I missed the chance to see them lift the cup in person =( Gamecenter Live/Center Ice every game though.

Old
01-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1159
I was a kid that thought the jerseys looked cool and the name was awesome. May be a dumb reason, but I'm glad I did.

Being in Caps country used to be fun (especially after the sweep), but finding out we won't be in the same division is a bummer. Used to be able to go see them two/three times a year... now it will be once *if* I can get a ticket.

Old
01-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Became a Tampa fan thanks to NHL 2005
Living in Spain is weird to like ice hockey

Old
01-06-2012, 05:03 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Born and still live in New Jersey. I became a hockey fan and a Lightning fan when I was a little kid around the time the bolts made their first appearance in the playoffs in 96. It was harder to be a fan when I was young and nobody sold Lightning stuff and the only time I got to see them play was when they were on tv against the rangers or devils. The video games really helped me get accustom to who was on our team. Things got a lot better when we made the playoffs in 03 and 04 and with the internet. Since then I've been able to go to a few games when they play here and after joining hf it's been easy to be a fan talking to everyone here, learning so much, and being able to follow this team to the length we do. Outside in the real world, I don't get much flak for being a Lightning fan. People think I'm from Florida or think it's pretty random for me to be a bolts fan, but there's no hate since the bolts don't have bad blood with the Flyers, Devils, or Rangers really. They also can respect that St. Louis and Lecavalier have been the stars of this team for the past 10 years or so.

Old
01-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Bolt32

Am i the only local fan!? Was a ranger fan when I lived in new york, moved here when I was 6 right when the bolts had there inaugural season. Watched one of the first games in the Expo hall, and been hooked since. Was soo hooked that even though I was 6 I forced my dad to read the articles written about the lightning the night before instead of any kid books.

Seeing them win the cup in 04, after all the crap I got for sticking with the team through 4 50 plus loss seasons....it was like seeing your kid grow up right before your eyes. Sooo proud of them at that moment.

Old
01-06-2012, 07:48 PM
SteveYzermanic91

I live in PA and all you see is Penguins gear. It gets really annoying. I'm sure when you walk into a bar where you guys live with a Vinny jersey on people are like WTF. I'm proud to be a Lightning fan in PA. For me, it's not being a hometown guy.

Old
01-06-2012, 08:35 PM
lightningfanqc

Bolts fan in quebec city....I hate the habs like cats and dogs....so when the bolts knocked them off in 2004 playoffs i started cheering for them. I had a leukemia in 2007 and because i was 16, i had a dream fullied, to meet vinny in tampa to see 3 games. I made a other trip for 3 games at the end of the season stammer scored 51. Went to Ottawa and montreal last year back to back on the road to see them. When to quebec preseason game this year. Yesterday i was for the game in Ottawa and tommorow I will be on the night of my 21st birthday in Montreal for the game.

Old
01-06-2012, 08:47 PM
MrMcGz

Went to the barn back at expo hall in hs and was electrified by the energy which carried over to the Thunderdome even though the teams were rough in the beginning. Used to listen to Lightning radio back in the day cranked in the garage before they were really on tv. (Paul Ysebaert and Dino Ciccarelli days). Left FL after college in 2001 for the military and finally moved back to FL and Sunsports this year! Old Bruins fan growing up since being born in NE so it's nice to see them doing well and finally winning the cup.

Full Bolts fan through and through these days.

Old
01-06-2012, 09:06 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAB4Norris View Post
I was a kid that thought the jerseys looked cool and the name was awesome. May be a dumb reason, but I'm glad I did.

Being in Caps country used to be fun (especially after the sweep), but finding out we won't be in the same division is a bummer. Used to be able to go see them two/three times a year... now it will be once *if* I can get a ticket.
Guess you won't have to worry about that anymore.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=610343

Old
01-07-2012, 08:25 AM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktors89 View Post
Became a Tampa fan thanks to NHL 2005
Living in Spain is weird to like ice hockey
This exactly, except replace Spain with England

Still get judged for my Lightning tattoo occasionally as well, people just have no clue what it is.

2005 was the one with Vinny on the cover right?

Bought that for a tenner in a bargain bin at a games store, got hooked, followed the team from midway through the 06-07 season, started playing ice hockey last year, after taking skating lessons and playing field hockey for a couple of years. Absolutely hooked

Old
01-07-2012, 09:05 AM
newham89

Visited on holiday a lot and went to a few Solar Bears and Lightning games but wasn't really a fan. Only when soccer and British ice hockey began to bore the hell out of me did I start looking for NHL streams. Started watching halfway through 07/08 season regularly and have been hooked since.

Starting to see more and more Lightning fans at the Nottingham Panthers games, which I guess is a good thing. Also, I noticed that both teams were playing the 1-3-1 in a game a couple of weeks ago. Guy Boucher is killing British hockey.

Old
01-07-2012, 09:54 AM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High View Post
Guess you won't have to worry about that anymore.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=610343
Best news I've heard all day! Of course I just woke up, but still, it's good news!

Old
01-07-2012, 10:03 AM
DangleDoppler

This post is great, I love reading about how everyone became fans...

I didn't dislike the Lightning and I paid attention to them when they won the cup and all, but I wasn't a huge hockey fan.

It wasn't until I played NHL 2004 after it was already 2-3 years old that I really got into the Bolts, and then I started following them and figuring out the rules to the game...

I went to the banner raising ceremony in '05-'06, and I went to some more games in '06-'07 and even to my first playoff games...

But it wasn't until the 07/08 season that i really became a diehard...Which I call my initiation haha...

After that I got into playing hockey, watching all kinds of hockey, and becoming a STM...

I don't know if I would've been a STM if OK was still here...I'm sure eventually I would because I always wanted season tickets for a sports team and hockey was becoming quite the addiction.

Jeffrey Vinik made it a whole lot easier decision though, and he's pretty much a saint in my mind.

Old
01-07-2012, 04:03 PM
shello
@WShello9

Lives in Montreal became a Bolts fan when I was 6ish, and I found out Vinny was from Ile Bizzard, and thought it was the same town I live in (Ile Perrot, turns out Alex Burrows is from the town next to mine and his mom is a principal at a school 5 minutes from my house. Good thing I didn't find that out first.) because of the "Ile". Turns out there's a good half an hour difference. The video games certainly helped when I was younger to find out who was on the team, and where they were all from. Hf and twitter helped amazingly to become a better/more knowledgeable fan, since the 6pm news doesn't report about them often.

I get some hate by Montreal fans, mostly because Tampa has St.Louis, and Vinny, and they think they belong on their team. But that's only a select few. Others are just mad cause they say Tampa "stole" Boucher from them.

Been to one game in Tampa so far, hopefully going back in March.

Last edited by shello: 01-07-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old
01-07-2012, 05:22 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

I guess I could say I inherited the Lightning.

Was a Rangers fan as a kid, but moved here several years ago and really got into the Lightning. Still some feelings for the Rangers, but all of the players I cheered for back then are retired now so it's just meh. I'm a full blown Lightning fan.

Old
01-07-2012, 05:54 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

From Toronto, Canada and never really had a team until last year. Growing up, I was a HUGE Stevie Y fan and every hockey team I played for (until I retired in Jr.A ) I wore #19. Despite being such a big fan of Yzerman, I never cheered for Detroit when he was injured/not playing.

Never despised or cared much about the Lightning until the 2004 playoffs and became a big fan of Brad Richards (who coincidentally also wears 19). However, I didn't want to appear as a bandwagon fan, so I went back to just appreciating hockey in general and not following any one, specific team. Fast forward to the 2011 playoffs and I find myself glued to the tv whenever the Bolts are playing and decide to buy tickets for both games 3 and 4 of the Eastern Conference Semi-Finals. Really appreciated the skill of Stamkos and St.Louis, the humbleness of the players and the fact that the entire team bought in to the system. My childhood hero being the GM solidified my decision to finally choose a team.

I also loved the fans, city, arena, reasonable price of tickets, owner and especially how intelligent and nice all you Lightning posters are (an amazing difference from obnoxious and uninformed Leaf fans/posters). All those factors made my decision to become a Lightning fan a no-brainer.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:12 AM
gabbagabbawill

I lost my hometown team to whinypeg. Now I'm a TB fan all the way! Go underdogs from the south! lol.

Closed Thread