HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Shooting at Metro Bonaventure

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-06-2012, 01:35 PM
  #1
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,935
vCash: 500
Awards:
Shooting at Metro Bonaventure

Just heard about this on the radio, anyone have any more info?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...l.html?cmp=rss

Quote:
A police officer and suspect were taken to hospital after shots were fired inside Montreal's Bonaventure metro station Friday afternoon.

Police say the shots were fired near the De la Gauchetière exit at the downtown station.

The metro's orange line is closed in both directions between Berri-UQÀM and Lionel-Groulx until further notice.

Shuttle bus service is being provided between each stop until further notice.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
01-06-2012, 01:43 PM
  #2
HH
GO HABS GO!
 
HH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,226
vCash: 500
Used to work there.

I know some people who work there too. Also right near the Bell Centre.

HH is offline  
Old
01-06-2012, 01:46 PM
  #3
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,625
vCash: 500
Oh man, I'm working just up stairs in place-ville marie, and didn't hear about it until I read this.

Hope everyone is ok.

habs03 is offline  
Old
01-06-2012, 01:48 PM
  #4
Bieber fever
Registered User
 
Bieber fever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westmount
Posts: 5,087
vCash: 500
The cop got stabbed in the neck and in the abdomen

Bieber fever is offline  
Old
01-06-2012, 01:57 PM
  #5
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,935
vCash: 500
Awards:
Apparently the orange line is starting to run again.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
01-06-2012, 02:03 PM
  #6
Rushin Joo
Registered User
 
Rushin Joo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 8,166
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rushin Joo
Considering that the system sees over a million rides a weekday, our metro is incredibly safe and you never hear about stuff like this happening. Aside from thieves, of course.

Rushin Joo is offline  
Old
01-06-2012, 02:15 PM
  #7
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,891
vCash: 500
Hope everyone is alright and glad it starting running again, don't feel like getting home at 7 like a few weeks ago also on a Friday

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
01-06-2012, 02:27 PM
  #8
Tendresse
Capitaine Gorges
 
Tendresse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 934
vCash: 500
I knew there was a lot of cops there, but I didn't know cops were actually injured.

Also, the suspect actually died from his wounds. It's a shame, it's gonna give all the anarchists more ammo to whine about police brutality and stuff. I hate these clowns. Although I agree that most of the cops who work in the subway are annoying asshats and borderline retarded (from my personal experience), they don't represent the majority of the police workforce. And honestly, stabbing a cop isn't exactly a way to have a pacific dialog with the police.

I'm glad I live in a city where stuff like this is really extraordinary though. I've never really felt threatened in the 20 years I've rode the subway, regardless of the time/place.

Tendresse is offline  
Old
01-06-2012, 02:33 PM
  #9
Fel 96
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,874
vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
http://tvanouvelles.ca/lcn/infos/fai...06-135616.html

Yeah, the guy is dead..

Fel 96 is offline  
Old
01-06-2012, 02:35 PM
  #10
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tendresse View Post
I knew there was a lot of cops there, but I didn't know cops were actually injured.

Also, the suspect actually died from his wounds. It's a shame, it's gonna give all the anarchists more ammo to whine about police brutality and stuff. I hate these clowns. Although I agree that most of the cops who work in the subway are annoying asshats and borderline retarded (from my personal experience), they don't represent the majority of the police workforce. And honestly, stabbing a cop isn't exactly a way to have a pacific dialog with the police.

I'm glad I live in a city where stuff like this is really extraordinary though. I've never really felt threatened in the 20 years I've rode the subway, regardless of the time/place.
The guy stabbed a cop in the neck. I hope they shot him in the face.

__________________
Yours in Christ,

waffledave
waffledave is offline  
Old
01-06-2012, 02:48 PM
  #11
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
The guy stabbed a cop in the neck. I hope they shot him in the face.
Reminds me of the McGill protest. Students throw objects at cops, swat team comes in and pepper sprays and arrest people. Students then complain. I'm pretty sure had they not launched objects at cops, they wouldn't have been attacked. The question is whether the force was excessive (maybe it was), but you have to be dumb as **** to provoke police, especially when they are on bicycles and not expect repercussions.

I really hope this incident doesn't give those who complain more fuel to their argument. Man stabs policeman in the neck...what ought he do? Walk away?

I find people in society are becoming more and more whiney.

Andy is offline  
Old
01-06-2012, 02:51 PM
  #12
Domhnall Dubh
Bluenoser
 
Domhnall Dubh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Birthplace of Hockey
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,729
vCash: 500
Glad that he's dead. Hope the cop is OK. Of all the metro systems I've used, the one in Montreal is by far the best. Felt very, very safe every time I've used it.

Domhnall Dubh is offline  
Old
01-06-2012, 02:55 PM
  #13
Habbadasher
Registered User
 
Habbadasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: My couch
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,642
vCash: 500
As a guy who has used the metro in Chicago, N.Y., Toronto, Vancouver, Madrid, Paris, Berlin, etc. I agree that the Montreal Metro is world class.

Habbadasher is offline  
Old
01-06-2012, 03:11 PM
  #14
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tendresse View Post
I knew there was a lot of cops there, but I didn't know cops were actually injured.

Also, the suspect actually died from his wounds. It's a shame, it's gonna give all the anarchists more ammo to whine about police brutality and stuff. I hate these clowns. Although I agree that most of the cops who work in the subway are annoying asshats and borderline retarded (from my personal experience), they don't represent the majority of the police workforce. And honestly, stabbing a cop isn't exactly a way to have a pacific dialog with the police.

I'm glad I live in a city where stuff like this is really extraordinary though. I've never really felt threatened in the 20 years I've rode the subway, regardless of the time/place.
Dude a lot of cops are ****ing dick wads, some are really chill too though. It's like most people I guess but since a lot of jock type personality types get into it you often get a lot of egos.

But nobody deserves to get stabbed twice by some random scrub. Even as somebody who dislikes cops to some extent I know when a cop tells you something like "get down on the floor" or "put your hands up" you don't do it. It's also never worth it to get into a physical altercation with a cop even if they're in the wrong. The guy who did this was obviously a total moron.

He stabbed the dude and deserves the fate he got imo. You stab a cop you're basically committing attempted murder, the cop had every right to shoot the guy. Anyone saying otherwise is bat **** crazy.

Any idea why this lunatic decided to stab a cop? Hate crime of sorts?

neofury* is offline  
Old
01-06-2012, 03:11 PM
  #15
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Dude a lot of cops are ****ing dick wads, some are really chill too though. It's like most people I guess but since a lot of jock type personality types get into it you often get a lot of egos.

But nobody deserves to get stabbed twice by some random scrub. Even as somebody who dislikes cops to some extent I know when a cop tells you something like "get down on the floor" or "put your hands up" you don't do it. It's also never worth it to get into a physical altercation with a cop even if they're in the wrong. The guy who did this was obviously a total moron.

He stabbed the dude and deserves the fate he got imo. You stab a cop you're basically committing attempted murder, the cop had every right to shoot the guy. Anyone saying otherwise is bat **** crazy.

Any idea why this lunatic decided to stab a cop? Hate crime of sorts?
Sorry I can't edit my post, but I meant you DO it.

neofury* is offline  
Old
01-06-2012, 03:19 PM
  #16
BLBarmada
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,385
vCash: 500
People saying that they're glad he's dead is just wrong, human life is sacred. Granted this man had major issues, do you people even know why he did it ?

Has it donned on you that someone lost a son ? Brother ? Father ? Husband ? Boyfriend ? Etc. And now someone else might day ?

Who knows why he did what he did but wishing someone dead, or being happy he's gone is wrong, unless your close to the victim.

I hope the officer is alright.

But ****, people these days.....

BLBarmada is offline  
Old
01-06-2012, 03:21 PM
  #17
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBarmada View Post
People saying that they're glad he's dead is just wrong, human life is sacred. Granted this man had major issues, do you people even know why he did it ?

Has it donned on you that someone lost a son ? Brother ? Father ? Husband ? Boyfriend ? Etc. And now someone else might day ?

Who knows why he did what he did but wishing someone dead, or being happy he's gone is wrong, unless your close to the victim.

I hope the officer is alright.

But ****, people these days.....
Outside one person, I don't think anyone wished that he died. What everyone is saying is that they hope those who complain about Police brutality will not take this story to fuel their argument. A police officer was stabbed, what do you expect to have happened?

Andy is offline  
Old
01-06-2012, 03:26 PM
  #18
Tendresse
Capitaine Gorges
 
Tendresse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
The guy stabbed a cop in the neck. I hope they shot him in the face.
Oh I agree - that was attempted murder right there, regardless of the victim's job (cop, in this case), and there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that anyone's primary reaction would be to shoot the guy.

I also agree with neofury, if a cop tells you to do something, you should shut the **** up and do it, because that's how it is, and there's a reason things work that way. If you decide to be a smartass, then that's your decision, but don't be surprised if you end up butt****ed sideways.

However I also think that we should use a bit of perspective. We don't really know anything about what exactly happened. All we know is that someone tried to kill a cop, and that that someone has been shot down. We don't know anything about the context - who the guy is, why he was approached by the cops, how long did it take before he actually fought the cops.

The odds are that everything happened as we all assumed - victim was a bit of a psycho, argued with the police for a few minutes and in a fit of psychological distress, jumped a cop and got gunned down. If that's the case, then yes, things happened as they should've and I'm glad the police responded as they did. Such people are definitely not the kind of people I want living in my society.

But before rejoicing on someone's death, I'd rather have the facts clear. All the facts.

Tendresse is offline  
Old
01-06-2012, 03:29 PM
  #19
llamateizer
Registered User
 
llamateizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Country:
Posts: 5,379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBarmada View Post
People saying that they're glad he's dead is just wrong, human life is sacred. Granted this man had major issues, do you people even know why he did it ?

Has it donned on you that someone lost a son ? Brother ? Father ? Husband ? Boyfriend ? Etc. And now someone else might day ?

Who knows why he did what he did but wishing someone dead, or being happy he's gone is wrong, unless your close to the victim.

I hope the officer is alright.

But ****, people these days.....
Absolutley
I'm not glad that he died
I don't feel bad for him though

llamateizer is offline  
Old
01-06-2012, 03:30 PM
  #20
Domhnall Dubh
Bluenoser
 
Domhnall Dubh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Birthplace of Hockey
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBarmada View Post
People saying that they're glad he's dead is just wrong, human life is sacred. Granted this man had major issues, do you people even know why he did it ?

Has it donned on you that someone lost a son ? Brother ? Father ? Husband ? Boyfriend ? Etc. And now someone else might day ?

Who knows why he did what he did but wishing someone dead, or being happy he's gone is wrong, unless your close to the victim.

I hope the officer is alright.

But ****, people these days.....
He stabbed a person, who is too a son; father; husband, in the neck. I won't lose any sleep over his death, no.

Domhnall Dubh is offline  
Old
01-06-2012, 03:31 PM
  #21
CrAzYNiNe
Registered User
 
CrAzYNiNe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,955
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Outside one person, I don't think anyone wished that he died. What everyone is saying is that they hope those who complain about Police brutality will not take this story to fuel their argument. A police officer was stabbed, what do you expect to have happened?
I just hate how the law protects police officers. If for instance you watch someone stab a family member or friend and you take the law into your own hands and kill that person, you go to jail for murder. Now if cops gang up and murder a suspect that wounds a cop, they will get away with killing him. They clearly have the suspect out numbered with superior weapons, yet they decide that they have the right to take that persons life away. Who do these pathetic human beings think they are? The power of being a cop evidently gets to their heads.

Police officers are just legal thugs. Poor education and desire for power they don't deserve. I do understand it's a fine line, but I still will never agree with a cop killing anyone unless they have a gun pointed at them.

CrAzYNiNe is offline  
Old
01-06-2012, 03:32 PM
  #22
BLBarmada
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post
Absolutley
I'm not glad that he died
I don't feel bad for him though
Neither do I, but I do feel bad for both parties families.

And I dint see how anyone can take this as police brutality, everyone knows that if you come at a cop with a weapon, they're going to shoot to kill.

BLBarmada is offline  
Old
01-06-2012, 03:35 PM
  #23
CrAzYNiNe
Registered User
 
CrAzYNiNe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,955
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBarmada View Post
Neither do I, but I do feel bad for both parties families.

And I dint see how anyone can take this as police brutality, everyone knows that if you come at a cop with a weapon, they're going to shoot to kill.
This is the mentality I don't understand. Shoot to kill should be the last resort.

CrAzYNiNe is offline  
Old
01-06-2012, 03:36 PM
  #24
Domhnall Dubh
Bluenoser
 
Domhnall Dubh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Birthplace of Hockey
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
I just hate how the law protects police officers. If for instance you watch someone stab a family member or friend and you take the law into your own hands and kill that person, you go to jail for murder. Now if cops gang up and murder a suspect that wounds a cop, they will get away with killing him. They clearly have the suspect out numbered with superior weapons, yet they decide that they have the right to take that persons life away. Who do these pathetic human beings think they are? The power of being a cop evidently gets to their heads.

Police officers are just legal thugs. Poor education and desire for power they don't deserve. I do understand it's a fine line, but I still will never agree with a cop killing anyone unless they have a gun pointed at them.
He was stabbed in the neck.

Domhnall Dubh is offline  
Old
01-06-2012, 03:38 PM
  #25
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
I just hate how the law protects police officers. If for instance you watch someone stab a family member or friend and you take the law into your own hands and kill that person, you go to jail for murder. Now if cops gang up and murder a suspect that wounds a cop, they will get away with killing him. T

Police officers are just legal thugs. Poor education and desire for power they don't deserve. I do understand it's a fine line, but I still will never agree with a cop killing anyone with a lesser weapon.
Laws are but conventions designed to keep order. You give up part of your freedom to some other group or organization to ensure compliance and smooth running of a society. The last thing you want is people taking the law into their own hands or else you start to verge towards disorder, which is something we generally don't want.

I disagree entirely that police officers are legal thugs, there are probably as many rotten police offers as there are rotten people in society.

Looking at the whole situation as "killing someone with a lesser weapon" is a very shallow analysis of the situation imo. You are in the heat of the moment, someone has a weapon(and has used that weapon to attack a police officer) and they are not complying...how do you stop them? The fact is a knife is a lethal weapon, sadly a person died. Some times actions serve as deterrents. I think there are limits that need to be drawn with authority, but I also think that our police force is well within those limits. People really don't know how good we have it and like to use outlier cases to exaggerate the argument where it is not.

We are very very fortunate to live in a society that when the police approach you, it is for a good reason the overwhelming majority of the time. Like I said, there are some rotten apples, but there are rotten apples everywhere you go, but that doesn't mean I distrust all institutions because of it.

Andy is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.