Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Realignment will not happen.

Old
01-06-2012, 07:22 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

vCash: 500
I say just do a quickie, switch Columbus to the SE, Dallas to Central, Colorado to Pacific and Winnipeg to Northwest. Simple as that.

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:22 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl thrasher344 View Post
Why does this bother some of you so much? I'd rather play in the SE division than play Det and Chi multiple times each year.
because our geographic location compared to the rest is ridiculous

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:23 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Welp, this just sucks a big fat one. It's days like this I wonder why I even bother with this league. Clearly a barganing chip tactic. Bravo NHLPA.

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:26 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
because our geographic location compared to the rest is ridiculous
But why is that such a big deal? I don't understand. Wasn't there a report or something that said the travel was not such a big deal as everyone made it to be?

I'm not trying to start anything. I just don't get why it matters

atl thrasher344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:28 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
To be honest in Bargaining anything is a good issue, especially if you know the other side has most of the power. Bargaining in bad faith is when you agree to something and then change your mind. Or you draw a line in the sand and the other side meets your demand, and then you negate it by drawing a new line in the sand. Neither of which applies to the player union.
You are right it's not "not negotiating in good faith". I was pretty angry at first. It is more petty than anything. Also, this is from the BoH board

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
After the BoG meeting in December, GB's position was that the League did not need the NHLPA's consent - only notification.

Realignment, the Schedule, and Playoff seeding/format are included in the NHL By-Laws and included in the CBA under the League Rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBA Article 30.3
30.3 Amendments. The NHL and its Clubs shall not, during the term of this
Agreement or any extension thereof, amend or modify the provisions (or portions
thereof) of the League Rules or any of the League's Playing Rules in existence on the
date of this Agreement which affect terms or conditions of employment of any Player,
without the prior written consent of the NHLPA which shall not be unreasonably
withheld. The NHL shall furnish any proposed amendment to the League Rules to the
NHLPA on a rolling basis regardless of whether such proposed amendment may impact
terms and conditions of employment.
NHLPA consent would only be needed if the changes directly affect the "terms or conditions of employment of any Player" - which is arguable - and even then the NHLPA would need a supportable reason to reject the change ("which shall not be unreasonably withheld").

If the League wanted to push the issue they could either:

1. go ahead with the change and let the NHLPA file a grievance, or
2. file a grievance themselves over the NHLPA's unreasonable witholding of consent.

and let the Independent Arbitrator resolve the issue.

But I agree, this has little to do with realignment, but is pure posturing going into the CBA negotiations.
Apparently if the NHL wants to force the issue, there is nothing that the PA can do about. This is them just trying to make some noise and gain some sympathy before the negotiations...and them making noise will trap us in the SE again.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:29 PM
Diatidialga

Quote:
But why is that such a big deal? I don't understand. Wasn't there a report or something that said the travel was not such a big deal as everyone made it to be?

We have to deal with Lols Nation 4 times a year, thats reason enough for us to move

Diatidialga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:30 PM
BigZ65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
This is ********. They HAVE to at least move the teams around to get us out of the SE. PA cannot be opposed to switching us and Nashville. It looks completely stupid and bush league to have Winnipeg is the SouthEast division.

You know what. This is Donald Fehr ploy. He is trying to save this for a bargaining chip in the CBA negotiations. He doesn't give one iota about realignment, he just wants to have an easy thing to give to the owners for concessions. I knew that guy was trouble. (Please note this is my wild speculation)
That is exactly how I see it. TBH, I don't know why the PA has a veto on re-alignment. I'm a teacher (don't throw stuff at me please) so I have some experience with complicated (and convoluted) collective agreements. I couldn't see a teachers association bargaining with a division for veto rights over how schools are deployed. For instance, if they changed my high school into a junior high, they wouldn't have to go through the teacher's association before that decision could be made final. That veto isn't something that I would see as a right of the PA because it has nothing to do with # of jobs, compensation or working conditions, so it must have been tossed in during collective bargaining at some point, and if it wasn't, I can see the NHL quite easily winning a lawsuit against the PA.

BigZ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:31 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

I was really looking forward to forming rivalries with Minny, Chitown and St. Louis next year. Instead, we are stuck with Florida, Tampa Bay and Carolina for another season. Great.

Old
01-06-2012, 07:33 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
HF anti-tank squad

vCash: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
I was really looking forward to forming rivalries with Minny, Chitown and St. Louis next year. Instead, we are stuck with Florida, Tampa Bay and Carolina for another season. Great.
next game im bringing a sign,

NHLPA SUCKS

im stealing this from someone else but

does this mean we have to boo everyone?

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:33 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:

This Jets team needs to start new making rivalries. Winnipeg is and always be a Western city. You'll find that most people in WPG had western teams before. I personally do not like playing in the East, I just don't care about way too many teams. It makes no sense for them to be in the SE.

Ee need to start making our own identity at this point. Our past will always be the Thrashers, that's never going to change. We will continue to honor them as much as we can, but need to start making our waves, our own rivalries, our own name. I know it sucks for ex-Thrasher fans such as yourself, but unfortunatly that is what needs to happen.

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 01-06-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old
01-06-2012, 07:37 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahdupah View Post
Bargaining in good faith wouldn't include rejecting league changes for imaginary reasons. If they are feigning objection to the realignment in hopes of gaining some advantage in the future they aren't bargaining in good faith. The goal is to negotiate an amicable CBA that ensure the health of the league and reasonable portion of revenues going to the employees who also happen to be the product.
Don't worry I am on your side. It is dirty, petty, stupid thing to argue about. It does not fall under legal definition of "bad faith" though. I completely agree with everything else in your post.

Old
01-06-2012, 07:39 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

Quote:
One thing that is going to be hard to understand, but really matters, IMO, is that this Jets team needs to start new making rivalries. Winnipeg is and always be a Western city. You'll find that most people in WPG had western teams before. I personally do not like playing in the East, I just don't care about way too many teams. It makes no sense for them to be in the SE.

Ee need to start making our own identity at this point. Our past will always be the Thrashers, that's never going to change. We will continue to honor them as much as we can, but need to start making our waves, our own rivalries, our own name. I know it sucks for ex-Thrasher fans such as yourself, but unfortunatly that is what needs to happen.
I appreciate that last paragraph but that really isn't even my point I guess. I couldnt care less about SE teams as well. However besides some radical realignment, it is just causing these problems for another team and city who has played in the west forever. And just based on a competition standpoint, its much harder to win in the proposed division than it is currently.

atl thrasher344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:39 PM
Active Puck
STREAMERS!

Oh man, I imagine TNSE is probably pissed right about now. Like, perhaps angrier than I am.

(been throwing F-bombs around the house like a sailor)

Active Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:41 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=384427

Quote:
Deputy commissioner Bill Daly said the league was unable to address the union's unspecified concerns with the change.

"It is unfortunate that the NHLPA has unreasonably refused to approve a plan that an overwhelming majority of our clubs voted to support, and that has received such widespread support from our fans and other members of the hockey community, including players," Daly said in the statement.

"We believe the union acted unreasonably in violation of the league's rights. We intend to evaluate all of our available legal options and to pursue adequate remedies, as appropriate."

The off-season relocation of the Atlanta Thrashers to Winnipeg forced the NHL to draft a new conference alignment in December. The new plan also addressed teams' travel concerns, guaranteed home-and-home series for every team and made changes to the playoff format.

Shortly after the board of governors approved the plan, commissioner Gary Bettman said the league didn't need the union to sign off on the plan to make the changes.
Hope Lives!

Old
01-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Diatidialga

Quote:
It will cause a lockout, no doubt

Old
01-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
I appreciate that last paragraph but that really isn't even my point I guess. I couldnt care less about SE teams as well. However besides some radical realignment, it is just causing these problems for another team and city who has played in the west forever. And just based on a competition standpoint, its much harder to win in the proposed division than it is currently.
I agree with that. I was angry before, a 1 year switch with us to the West with massive realignment still coming would not be a good thing at all.

But we need to have faith that this team will rise to the top no matter the division

Old
01-06-2012, 07:45 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

vCash: 50
Quote:
There is a team or two that would welcome a move to the East. Most notably Detroit. I'm sure they could do a team for team swap and be done with it. However, they seem to want a bit more change than just a straight swap.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:46 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

I'm curious to know how this may effect a potential relocation of Phoenix to Quebec City, or even Seattle for that matter. I'm wondering if the Yotes will be used as some sort of barganing chip in this whole matter, somehow.

Old
01-06-2012, 07:47 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
HF anti-tank squad

vCash: 449
a sharks writer talked to their NHLPA rep, id be interested in talking to ours, who is it?

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:48 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Active Puck View Post
Oh man, I imagine TNSE is probably pissed right about now. Like, perhaps angrier than I am.

(been throwing F-bombs around the house like a sailor)
My guess they are a lot less concerned about this then we are. Thomson and Chipman are businessman; negotiations are something they do everyday. Thomson owns arguably the biggest media empire in North America, he has probably been through this type of stuff 100's of times. For him and Chipman the worst case senario is not playing in the S.E. next year. It's a work stopage that will stop everything in there tracks. God forbid.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:48 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
a sharks writer talked to their NHLPA rep, id be interested in talking to ours, who is it?
Isnt it Hainsey?

Old
01-06-2012, 07:49 PM
Diatidialga

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Isnt it Hainsey?
Oh **** me

Old
01-06-2012, 07:50 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

I am sure Hainsey is the Jets player rep.

Old
01-06-2012, 07:56 PM
gholas
UnRegistered UnUser

vCash: 265
Quote:
The Jets play in the West, and forever.

gholas is offline   Reply With Quote