Realignment will not happen.

Old
01-06-2012, 08:56 PM
Active Puck
STREAMERS!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
My guess they are a lot less concerned about this then we are. Thomson and Chipman are businessman; negotiations are something they do everyday. Thomson owns arguably the biggest media empire in North America, he has probably been through this type of stuff 100's of times. For him and Chipman the worst case senario is not playing in the S.E. next year. It's a work stopage that will stop everything in there tracks. God forbid.
Well that's no good, I want someone to be emotional and irrational about this like us fans!

This stinks on so many levels. Ugh.

Active Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 08:58 PM
Diatidialga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Active Puck View Post
Well that's no good, I want someone to be emotional and irrational about this like us fans!

This stinks on so many levels. Ugh.
Tell me about it.

On the bright side Illegal Curve is on tomorrow so we might get a little more insight

Diatidialga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:01 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
HF anti-tank squad

vCash: 2084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diatidialga View Post
Tell me about it.

On the bright side Illegal Curve is on tomorrow so we might get a little more insight
please guys TEAR THIS THING a new one

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:06 PM
Active Puck
STREAMERS!

Quote:
Tell me about it.

On the non-bright side I work tomorrow morning. But I guess I can listen to the audio broadcast later. Not the same, but whatever.

Has anyone heard a real reason why they don't want realignment? Dreger didn't mention anything in his tweets and neither has any other major media person I follow.

So either the players had good, legitimate reasons as to why not and the NHL are being jerks about it ("unspecified reasons" guys!) or the PA really did have "unspecified reasons" which is equally stupid. Or, like it's been mentioned, it's all about tactics and posturing.

Time to get a memegenerator avatar...

Active Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:12 PM
angrymnky

Wow am I out of step. Heard the news and was like - that's ok. Like Atlthrasher I don't want to be seeing lots of games vs Detroit, Chicago and StLouis. Not that I love the teams in the division we're in but it'll be easier to get a playoff spot.

angrymnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:17 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Mildly disappointed. On one hand, I was looking forward to playing you guys and Minnesota much more often.... but on the other, have to admit that I never was a fan of the uneven conferences (as long as we were in one of the 8-team ones, that is).

Sure you guys are livid up there about likely being in the southeast again next year. Probably won't be the only out of place Canadian team though, as in all likelihood Quebec City (already discounting the Yotes' prospects of staying in the desert) will be stuck in the Pacific, too!

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:18 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
what a joke the last thing i want for the Jets is to be in a division longterm with Florida, Carolina and Tampa Bay non hockey markets...Washington is not that bad but the other 3 are really boring non hockey markets

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:19 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
HF anti-tank squad

Well im FEHR-ly pissed off

Old
01-06-2012, 09:22 PM
Diatidialga

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Mildly disappointed. On one hand, I was looking forward to playing you guys and Minnesota much more often.... but on the other, have to admit that I never was a fan of the uneven conferences (as long as we were in one of the 8-team ones, that is).

Sure you guys are livid up there about likely being in the southeast again next year. Probably won't be the only out of place Canadian team though, as in all likelihood Quebec City (already discounting the Yotes' prospects of staying in the desert) will be stuck in the Pacific, too!
Don't worry it'll go thorough whether it's this year or next year

Old
01-06-2012, 09:24 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

NHLPA and Bettman playing politics hope the Jets don't get screwed, you guys belong in a division where you play some regional rivals.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:28 PM
HuntKop
614 Wing Columbus

This is just silly. And I'm with those who are DEEPLY suspicious of Donald Fehr. The guy is a hack, and has a solid track record of screwing things up.

Selfishly I was hoping that the Jets and Jackets would wind up together in a conference - but more to the point, the Jets remaining in the SE is just garbage.

HuntKop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Diatidialga

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntKop View Post
This is just silly. And I'm with those who are DEEPLY suspicious of Donald Fehr. The guy is a hack, and has a solid track record of screwing things up.

Selfishly I was hoping that the Jets and Jackets would wind up together in a conference - but more to the point, the Jets remaining in the SE is just garbage.
We've already been promised we would only spend one season in the SE, so here's hoping

Old
01-06-2012, 09:35 PM
dkehler

According to James Mirtle's of the Globe and Mail Twitter feed:

Winnipeg Jets’ owner Mark Chipman will be available to the media Saturday to address the announced delay of the NHL’s proposed realignment.

dkehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
We've already been promised we would only spend one season in the SE, so here's hoping
From what I've learned through past history, the NHL's word means **** all.

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:53 PM
Gm0ney

If Phoenix moves to Quebec you might be able to get the NHLPA to agree to let Quebec and Winnipeg flip divisions - Jets to the Pacific with Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, etc., and Quebec to Southeast with our current rivals. Not even sure the NHLPA would need to agree to that, since it's only a two team realignment.

Also, to those who were wondering why millionaires playing a game need a union, apparently salary caps are illegal outside of collective bargaining agreements, so it benefits the owners. I imagine things like free agency restrictions and trades and things like that are also illegal outside a CBA.

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:53 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
HF anti-tank squad

Old
01-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Diatidialga

http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/60.../130248/public

A rough translation is that the PA didn't accept because of the unfair playoff system with 8 teams in two conferences and 7 in the other two

Old
01-06-2012, 10:01 PM
Kent C Tugood
Not Quite Dead Yet

vCash: 200
As much as I had cautious optimism towards realignment, I'm alright with this. Only because I have directly correlated our decent winter with our placement in the Southeast.

Whole thing does sound like a bargaining chip, as said before.

Kent C Tugood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:01 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
If Phoenix moves to Quebec you might be able to get the NHLPA to agree to let Quebec and Winnipeg flip divisions - Jets to the Pacific with Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, etc., and Quebec to Southeast with our current rivals. Not even sure the NHLPA would need to agree to that, since it's only a two team realignment.

Also, to those who were wondering why millionaires playing a game need a union, apparently salary caps are illegal outside of collective bargaining agreements, so it benefits the owners. I imagine things like free agency restrictions and trades and things like that are also illegal outside a CBA.
Except the current Pacific division as it stands does not consist of CGY, EDM, MIN and VAN. It consists of LA, ANA, SJ and Dallas. So is there really much travel time difference between this division and the SE?

Old
01-06-2012, 10:02 PM
cutchemist42

Quote:

A rough translation is that the PA didn't accept because of the unfair playoff system with 8 teams in two conferences and 7 in the other two
I have a feeling the PA is setting up to get some cut of expansion fees for 2 teams added to equal out the conferences after putting up with Phoenix for this long.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:02 PM
Kent C Tugood
Not Quite Dead Yet

vCash: 200
Quote:

That was my only issue with re-alignment that I had. One would have hoped that a rational compromise could have been made, but that might be asking a bit much.

Kent C Tugood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:04 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
I have a feeling the PA is setting up to get some cut of expansion fees for 2 teams added to equal out the conferences after putting up with Phoenix for this long.
But it's not the PA who are losing financially due to Phoenix; it's the BOG. And they are the ones who were pushing this allignment in the first place, so what you are saying doesn't make sense in a financial aspect.

Old
01-06-2012, 10:15 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
This is ********. They HAVE to at least move the teams around to get us out of the SE. PA cannot be opposed to switching us and Nashville. It looks completely stupid and bush league to have Winnipeg is the SouthEast division.

You know what. This is Donald Fehr ploy. He is trying to save this for a bargaining chip in the CBA negotiations. He doesn't give one iota about realignment, he just wants to have an easy thing to give to the owners for concessions. I knew that guy was trouble. (Please note this is my wild speculation)

You got that right!

Fehr has a history of fighting over every single issue.

I suspect we'll have a lockout in the fall of this year.

At least it will give Quebec City another year to build their building.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Le Golie

Not mad. Not sure why so many are. It's definitely easier to make the playoffs in the South East Division and our travel schedule is still better than a lot of teams on the west coast. It's far from grueling.

I could understand the Jets ownership not being pleased because this is a set back for brand development but as a fan I'm not pissed at all.

I am disappointed that the NHLPA has chosen this route. This is a bad sign.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:40 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

When the NHL met to discuss re-alignment, they discussed two possibilities:

-WPG to NW, NSH to SE
-4 conferences with 7/8 teams each

Since the latter didn't work out, my guess is the former will now happen.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote