Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Realignment will not happen.

Old
01-06-2012, 09:42 PM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

vCash: 50
I just emailed the NHLPA saying that if they cause another lockout that I will no longer watch them. I suggest you all do the same.

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksnWpg View Post
I just emailed the NHLPA saying that if they cause another lockout that I will no longer watch them. I suggest you all do the same.
Unfortunatly, we as fans will stomp our feet and cry until we are blue in the face. But in the end, the NHL knows that people will still pour their hard earned $$$ into their pockets.

And we know that too.

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:50 PM
blues10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl thrasher344 View Post
Why does this bother some of you so much? I'd rather play in the SE division than play Det and Chi multiple times each year.
I really don't know why everyone is so upset. I love it! I mean we are going to eventually have division/conference realignment.

We get to see the Caps and Bolts 3 times, Pens twice, Rangers twice, Sens twice, Flyers twice, Bruins twice, Leafs twice, Sabres twice, Habs twice and since none of the Flames and Canucks were here this year we should see them next year. We should also see the Wings and Hawks once and I am sure we will see plenty of them in the future.

No coyotes who cares, No Ducks but without Temmu who cares. I don't care for the Oilers, Stars, Avs or Wild.

Just my dimes worth.

It will be great if this works out for 1 more season.

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:54 PM
BigZ65

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
If Phoenix moves to Quebec you might be able to get the NHLPA to agree to let Quebec and Winnipeg flip divisions - Jets to the Pacific with Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, etc., and Quebec to Southeast with our current rivals. Not even sure the NHLPA would need to agree to that, since it's only a two team realignment.

Also, to those who were wondering why millionaires playing a game need a union, apparently salary caps are illegal outside of collective bargaining agreements, so it benefits the owners. I imagine things like free agency restrictions and trades and things like that are also illegal outside a CBA.
And yet most people without collective bargaining are making minimum wage. I think you can take a look back into the not so distant past and see how things can really work without collective bargaining for the benefit of the owners. That's why the PA exists.

BigZ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:56 PM
Backlund

Why are you guys so opposed to playing in the SE division? I know that there will be more travel time but the Eastern Conference is much easier to make the playoffs.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:04 PM
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ65 View Post
And yet most people without collective bargaining are making minimum wage. I think you can take a look back into the not so distant past and see how things can really work without collective bargaining for the benefit of the owners. That's why the PA exists.
Most people without collective bargaining are making minimum wage? That's quite the statement.

supahdupah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:06 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ65 View Post
Thats a pretty bold and false statement

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:07 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Thats a pretty bold and false statement
Well said

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:08 PM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahdupah View Post
Most people without collective bargaining are making minimum wage? That's quite the statement.
Uhm yes, people have to make at least minimum wage; it's the law. At least in this country.

Old
01-06-2012, 10:10 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Uhm yes, people have to make at least minimum wage; it's the law. At least in this country.
He means that people make more then minimum wage even without collective barganing

Old
01-06-2012, 10:12 PM
ps241
Drunken rant!

The funny part about this is if you talked to the top reps for the PA and the top NHL execs they could probably tell you how the next CBA is going to look for the most part. the PA will know what they will give on (salary floor, 2nd contracts, realignment, 53% of revenue) and they will know what hill they will die on like Gaurenteed contracts etc. The NHL will know what they need to do to make sure the troubled markets bleed less while trying to keep the competitive balance in tact. How much to tweak the floor and how to get more revenue to the bottom teams from both the players concessions and revenue sharing from other owners.

Yet we will go through a dance to get there but that is the world of labour negociations in general. the two sides are nowhere near as far appart as the NBA was and the only wildcard I can see is Fehr. I hope the players know what they are doing by having him lead them. they have had allot of trouble getting alignment as a group since the last CBA and this hire seems a bit odd.

Either way it will set the realignment back one year at the most and my guess is they might Still try to implement some of the balanced schedule components anyways so I can be patient. this does seem to be setting the table for an adversarial process which is ok that is life and it will not dramatically impact the end result

Bettman is nobodies fool and my feeling is the owners still have hand so it will end up in a place that is good for Winnipeg it will just be a bit more of a bumpy flight

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:13 PM
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

Quote:
??? I didn't say people are making at least minimum wage. This place is nuts tonight.

supahdupah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:19 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
When the NHL met to discuss re-alignment, they discussed two possibilities:

-WPG to NW, NSH to SE
-4 conferences with 7/8 teams each

Since the latter didn't work out, my guess is the former will now happen.
You mean Winnipeg to the Central, right? That's the only way that that two-team swap would work. And honestly.... Columbus to the SE would make more sense just from a time zone factor ignoring geography..... and Minnesota and Dallas would be upset, too.....

All in all, despite the problems that the proposed plan had, it actually did fix a lot of things. Detroit and Columbus were satiated as their west coast time was severely cut down, Minnesota and Dallas both got a mostly central time zone division, teams in the east mostly stay nice and comfortable, and everybody plays every Original Six team twice, as well as a few other big money draws like the Caps, Pens, Flyers, etc.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:32 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

1290 is covering nark chipmans presser tomorrow morning.
Dont know what time it is

Old
01-06-2012, 11:04 PM
Damascus

Sports unions are the greediest ****ing organizations ever. I hate them. Burn in hell. If I made over 500k a year I would do anything, even if it hurt a lot.

Damascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:09 PM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
You mean Winnipeg to the Central, right? That's the only way that that two-team swap would work. And honestly.... Columbus to the SE would make more sense just from a time zone factor ignoring geography..... and Minnesota and Dallas would be upset, too.....

All in all, despite the problems that the proposed plan had, it actually did fix a lot of things. Detroit and Columbus were satiated as their west coast time was severely cut down, Minnesota and Dallas both got a mostly central time zone division, teams in the east mostly stay nice and comfortable, and everybody plays every Original Six team twice, as well as a few other big money draws like the Caps, Pens, Flyers, etc.
You do realize that despite Nashville being in the central time zone it is closer to the teams in the SE division than Columbus right? An hour's difference in timezones is not that big of a deal. Tennessee is also considered a southern state as well.

Old
01-06-2012, 11:27 PM
Klaus
Teemu!

vCash: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
Not mad. Not sure why so many are. It's definitely easier to make the playoffs in the South East Division and our travel schedule is still better than a lot of teams on the west coast. It's far from grueling.

I could understand the Jets ownership not being pleased because this is a set back for brand development but as a fan I'm not pissed at all.

I am disappointed that the NHLPA has chosen this route. This is a bad sign.
Yeah, this exactly. Surprised when I came in here and everybody was so pissed off...

Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:38 PM
Diatidialga

I just realized that the reason that the Jets have been worse than usual on the road is that they probably already knew this wasn't going through and that they were going to travel so ****ing much again

Diatidialga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:45 PM
JustGivingEr
How far we done fell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diatidialga View Post
I just realized that the reason that the Jets have been worse than usual on the road is that they probably already knew this wasn't going through and that they were going to travel so ****ing much again
Uhh yea, lets go with that

JustGivingEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:46 PM
Diatidialga

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGivingEr View Post
Uhh yea, lets go with that
Now we have an excuse for any piss poor game for the rest of the season, eh?

Diatidialga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:48 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsetHabs View Post
Yeah, this exactly. Surprised when I came in here and everybody was so pissed off...
I think the thing that upsets most people so much is it's not so much about what is good for the league as a bargaining tactic. It reminds me of obama vs. the republicans in the states and how obama can't make the changes he wants cause republicans block everything - not because they believe it's bad for the country but because they don't want obama to succeed

01-07-2012, 12:42 AM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
Except the current Pacific division as it stands does not consist of CGY, EDM, MIN and VAN. It consists of LA, ANA, SJ and Dallas. So is there really much travel time difference between this division and the SE?
Right - I was thinking of the neo-Smythe that would've formed under realignment.

Still, a team in Quebec playing in the Pacific against LA, ANA and SJ is nuts. All those road games will start at 10:30pm Eastern.

Gm0ney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 12:43 AM
Aerial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I think the thing that upsets most people so much is it's not so much about what is good for the league as a bargaining tactic. It reminds me of obama vs. the republicans in the states and how obama can't make the changes he wants cause republicans block everything - not because they believe it's bad for the country but because they don't want obama to succeed
This, totally. Unions take on their own weird political inertia. It's just too bad they have the ability to drag so many people's lives into it with them.

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 12:45 AM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
A.K.A. "playing politics" - see also: every other political rivalry in the world

Gm0ney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 12:52 AM
tntkid

I actually prefer seeing teams like Philadelphia Flyers, New York Rangers Pittsburgh Penguins, Boston Bruins & Washington Capitols come to town multiple times.

tntkid is offline   Reply With Quote