Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Realignment will not happen.

Old
01-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

vCash: 500
This strikes me as something that the NHL could have avoided. The NHLPA concerns are valid. If the problem is timing, then they should have got off their ***** and submitted a proposal earlier.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:36 PM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Bad:

* Another year in the SouthEast which increases our travel (or not depending on reports).

Good:

* Playing in the SouthEast guarantees that we don't have many games start later than 7:30. (Unless we are on a rare West coast trip.

* Easier to make the playoffs than in the proposed alignment.

While I enjoyed the teams in our division, I was not a fan of the uneven conferences, nor the divisional playoff structure. So a positive for me is the opportunity for the league to correct these "mistakes" (in my eyes).

As with everything in life, if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right. The proposed alignment seemed to fix a few issues, but it seemed to make other messes. Might as well take some time and get it right.

Note: I agree that the reasoning behind the NHLPA rejecting the deal is mostly gamesmanship. I'm just highlighting a few +/-'s of it being rejected.

Huffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:43 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
This strikes me as something that the NHL could have avoided. The NHLPA concerns are valid. If the problem is timing, then they should have got off their ***** and submitted a proposal earlier.
I think what ticks my off about the whole thing is the lack of collaboration. The BoG drafts up this proposal, and seemingly have the expectation that the PA will just rubber stamp it.

Don't get me wrong, I still think this is a hardball move being spearheaded by Donald Fehr. I believe the NHLPA was conspicuously silent throughout all the realignment talk. But this planned realignment has been a long time coming, and it seems there's a real disconnect between the two sides on this issue.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 04:05 PM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I think what ticks my off about the whole thing is the lack of collaboration. The BoG drafts up this proposal, and seemingly have the expectation that the PA will just rubber stamp it.

Don't get me wrong, I still think this is a hardball move being spearheaded by Donald Fehr. I believe the NHLPA was conspicuously silent throughout all the realignment talk. But this planned realignment has been a long time coming, and it seems there's a real disconnect between the two sides on this issue.
Apparently the PA was ask for input on the realignment talks but they declined.

Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 05:47 PM
BigZ65

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCsmyth View Post
I agree with your premise.

Especially funny to me is the whole playoff argument. Me thinks these guys are playing a little bit too literal with statisctical probabilities - saying that "we have less of a chance to make the playoffs in an 8 team division vs a 7 team"...to that I say what?????

If you guys are really concerned with your chance to make the playoffs, you should be looking more to the actual TEAMS IN THE DIVISIONS!!!

In fact, I would contend that you are statistically more likely to miss the playoffs if you play for Toronto or Columbus - and statistically more likely to make it if you play for Detroit or San Jose.
It doesn't really matter if it is 4 out of 5 teams or 4 out of 20 teams. You still have to be in the top 4 and everyone plays the same amount of games against the same teams within the divisions. I'd be more against the system now where some teams have more difficult non-conference schedules.

BigZ65 is online now   Reply With Quote