HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2012 Junior Super Series Canada-Russia

Old
01-06-2012, 06:32 PM
rushockey

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to rushockey
2012 Junior Super Series Canada-Russia

Team Russia was leaving Calgary today, they made a 30 minute stop in Calgary's COP to get their things. I went to say thank you to all the players and the team management and Russia's team leader said they will be back soon. Hockey Canada and FHR are trying to iron out the details of the new Junior Super Series to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the original Canada-Soviet Union Super Series. Total of 4 games is being planned right now.. Two in Russia, both in Yaroslavl and more than likely one in Toronto and one in Montreal. I guess for Canadian and Russian fans the hockey season will start soon.

rushockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 06:35 PM
leafsfuture

Great idea! While people may talk of another beatdown like in 07, the Russian 88 and 89 years were really weak.

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:19 PM
Mara

Gotta say this sounds extremely good. Russia has won two years in a row in the small rink so this will be a good test for both teams to settle it once and for all. Who is the true master of junior hockey? Who dominates both rinks? Who gains the ultimate bragging rights? Can't wait for this.

Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
Gotta say this sounds extremely good. Russia has won two years in a row in the small rink so this will be a good test for both teams to settle it once and for all. Who is the true master of junior hockey? Who dominates both rinks? Who gains the ultimate bragging rights? Can't wait for this.
This has already been done in 2007. This will not decided who the master of junior hockey is.

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushockey View Post
Team Russia was leaving Calgary today, they made a 30 minute stop in Calgary's COP to get their things. I went to say thank you to all the players and the team management and Russia's team leader said they will be back soon. Hockey Canada and FHR are trying to iron out the details of the new Junior Super Series to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the original Canada-Soviet Union Super Series. Total of 4 games is being planned right now.. Two in Russia, both in Yaroslavl and more than likely one in Toronto and one in Montreal. I guess for Canadian and Russian fans the hockey season will start soon.
Thanks for the inside info! You are the man!

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 08:44 PM
leafsfuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
This has already been done in 2007. This will not decided who the master of junior hockey is.
Russia's best player in 2007 was 17 year old Nikita Filatov. The only other notable skaters are Cherapanov and Anisimov

The only regular NHlers from this group are 2 goalies, Bobrovsky and Varlamov and of course the "gun shooter"

Russian hockey was at a low point. Meanwhile Canada had Tavares, Gagner, Giroux, Schenn, Doughty, Alzner, Lucic, Marchand, perron.... there was no comparison at the time

Now it would be much closer

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 08:59 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
Russia's best player in 2007 was 17 year old Nikita Filatov. The only other notable skaters are Cherapanov and Anisimov

The only regular NHlers from this group are 2 goalies, Bobrovsky and Varlamov and of course the "gun shooter"

Russian hockey was at a low point. Meanwhile Canada had Tavares, Gagner, Giroux, Schenn, Doughty, Alzner, Lucic, Marchand, perron.... there was no comparison at the time

Yes, I remember it well. Toews could have also played. Not sure what some of the Russian players are doing KHL perhaps? Which is a great league aswell.

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:13 PM
Zine

Filatov didn't play in that series and Cherepanov only played 1 game (concussion).
The Russian attack was led by Ryabev-Anisimov-Vasyunov line. not to mention Nemchinov had no idea how to be a coach.
1988-89 generations was the absolute low point in Russian hockey development.

If this new series happens, it could make for some seriously good competition.

I must say, I'm liking this renewed Russia/Canada rivalry

Last edited by Zine: 01-06-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:20 PM
c9gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushockey View Post
Total of 4 games is being planned right now
This is excellent news for all hockey fans. Thank you for the info.

c9gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:07 PM
CRIK718

sweden?

Always fun to watch these series. If not the 40th anniversary of that legendary Can/USSR series, would be kinda neat to see a series with Sweden, maybe next year?

CRIK718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:29 PM
Drij

meh I would rather see NHL players instead of no name kids.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:15 PM
HabLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Filatov didn't play in that series and Cherepanov only played 1 game (concussion).
The Russian attack was led by Ryabev-Anisimov-Vasyunov line. not to mention Nemchinov had no idea how to be a coach.
1988-89 generations was the absolute low point in Russian hockey development.

If this new series happens, it could make for some seriously good competition.

I must say, I'm liking this renewed Russia/Canada rivalry
Doesnt matter who you bring, make all the excuses you want about 2007,,,,,,we kicked the crap out of you guys at in '05 at the WJC's during the lockout and in 1995, its simple, you cant compete best on best.....we have proven it 3 times.

HabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:25 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

vCash: 50
Sounds awesome, I have a feeling I won't be able to watch it unless it's on a weekend though

irunthepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:42 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post

Which kind of proves that there is no reason to say there will ever really be bragging rights past a year or two.

It's like saying this year's Russian victory is tainted because the Russian team had all these great players like Kuznetsov, while poor Canada had no one.

In short, it gives you bragging rights for a very small window of time.

With that said, I'd probably still watch it closely.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 01:46 AM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
It'll be Canada vs. Everyone on this board. I like it though... we get a lot of respect here.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 01:53 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Russian players are a lot better than 2007, but with Yakupov, Grigorenko and Kuznetsov all probably playing in the NHL next year, who is left to lead the charge? At least Makarov and Vasilevskiy will give them a chance in every game.

Granted, I don't know what superstars Canada would have at their disposal either (aside from MacKinnon).

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 07:18 AM
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Russian players are a lot better than 2007, but with Yakupov, Grigorenko and Kuznetsov all probably playing in the NHL next year, who is left to lead the charge?
It would likely be held in August before the NHL camps even open, therefore Yakupov and Grigorenko could play. Kuznetsov, though, I'm not sure. Would he be 20 by then? I also doubt you'd see junior-age NHLers playing.

Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 11:50 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Where is Sweden and USA?

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Helpoing
21st c schizoid man

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Where is Sweden and USA?
Where were they in '72 during the Summit Series?

Helpoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 12:55 PM
DamonDRW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpoing View Post
Where were they in '72 during the Summit Series?
Excellent answer. There are only two powerhouses. Then, there are teams that may win WJHC. USA did it once. Finalnd never did it and Sweden did it last time 31 years ago.

DamonDRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 08:55 AM
Fulcrum

Russian roster will be solid.

We likely won't see Kuznetsov, but will see the best crop of '93/94 players. There are a lot more returnees than the '92 team, with guys like Kucherov, Kosov, Yakupov, Grigorenko, Vasilevski who have amazing experience from this WJC..

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote