HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NHLPA rejects league approved four-conference re-alignment

Old
01-06-2012, 06:44 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
NHLPA rejects league approved four-conference re-alignment

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=384427

Result: status quo of 6 divisions and playoff for 2012-13 season.

Edit - I keep forgetting what year we are in. Sigh.

Last edited by LadyStanley: 01-06-2012 at 07:38 PM.
LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 06:51 PM
txpd

strike coming

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Melrose Munch

NHLPA wants Detroit in the east???

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 06:52 PM
habsjunkie2*

I'm surprised the PA has the ability to prevent this change, they shouldn't. Bettman could be in trouble with Fehr, he doesn't often lose, but Fehr is going to be a pain imo.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 06:53 PM
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

Hmmm, I wonder if this is a misstep by the PA.

OT: Would the NHL use Phoenix contraction as a bargaining chip?

supahdupah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

The only single possible explanation I can come up with is that the PA wants to use realignment a chip in the upcoming CBA negotiations. I think that this is a low blow, and very petty of the PA. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 06:55 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
HF anti-tank squad

**** you NHLPA, this ****s over winnipeg so hard

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 06:55 PM
Chileiceman

Why would the players disagree with it? Merely politics?

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 06:56 PM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
The only single possible explanation I can come up with is that the PA wants to use realignment a chip in the upcoming CBA negotiations. I think that this is a low blow, and very petty of the PA. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
And here we go, the pro-Bettman folks are going to start attacking the players now. This is great news in my mind, it shows the Mr. Fehr is not going to put up with being a lackey to Bettman and the owners. This is a very good sign for CBA negotiations.

Fehr Time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 06:57 PM
Chileiceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fehr Time View Post
And here we go, the pro-Bettman folks are going to start attacking the players now. This is great news in my mind, it shows the Mr. Fehr is not going to put up with being a lackey to Bettman and the owners. This is a very good sign for CBA negotiations.
What reason could the players possibly have for not wanting realignment, besides using it as a bargaining chip?

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 06:59 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman View Post
What reason could the players possibly have for not wanting realignment, besides using it as a bargaining chip?
Gerrymandered conference with the old NE and the two Florida teams?

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 06:59 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
It's bad sign that they want to fight rather than negotiate. You want another season of no hockey? I don't. Wpg AT THE VERY LEAST should be able to get out of the southeast, it's bush league to have them there.

Old
01-06-2012, 07:00 PM
sh724

And now the NHL will tell the PA they are not going to play in Sochi, this is going to hurt the players a lot more than they think it will.

The NHL should just go ahead with the realignment anyway the PA cannot stop it the NHL allowed them to give their opinion but they do not have to listen to the PA

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:01 PM
RandR

Quote:
100% agree.

This certainly will cause the CBA negotiations to start off on a bad footing; how does that help the PA's cause?

RandR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Gerrymandered conference with the old NE and the two Florida teams?
Absolutely. FWIW, I've spoken with Coyotes players over the years at benefits and hospital visits and such and to a man they want more say in the game. They've felt that too many things over the years have been imposed upon them.

Scottrocks58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

Quote:
It's bad sign that they want to fight rather than negotiate. You want another season of no hockey? I don't. Wpg AT THE VERY LEAST should be able to get out of the southeast, it's bush league to have them there.
That's Winnipeg's problem not the NHLPA's. Maybe they should have thought of the ramifications of getting a team from Atlanta. If a missed season of hockey gets a better CBA for the players then so be it.

Old
01-06-2012, 07:05 PM
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

I don't see how the players have all that much leverage going into this. Contract Phoenix, kill Sochi. What is it the players are after? What aren't they getting that they think they should?

I imagine the players would like another team in Ontario, but they have no influence there. I am curious what pro-NHLPA folk see as the issues here.

Old
01-06-2012, 07:06 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
That's Winnipeg's problem not the NHLPA's. Maybe they should of thought of the ramifications of getting a team from Atlanta. If a missed season of hockey gets a better CBA for the players then so be it.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. In strike years the players rarely come out on top. That's why lockouts are more common than player strikes over the past few years.

Scottrocks58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:07 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
That's Winnipeg's problem not the NHLPA's. Maybe they should of thought of the ramifications of getting a team from Atlanta. If a missed season of hockey gets a better CBA for the players then so be it.
You know what gets better CBA for the players? Actually negotiating in good faith. Trying to take things by force will simply force the NHL to strike back, then we get a war rather than a negotiation. NOBODY wins in that situation.

Old
01-06-2012, 07:07 PM
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Hah, wow. You forget that the owners are the ones who run the league. They did think of them and tried to realign the league to compensate. This isn't the 1950's. These aren't factory workers getting screwed.

Old
01-06-2012, 07:09 PM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

Quote:
You know what gets better CBA for the players? Actually negotiating in good faith. Trying to take things by force will simply force the NHL to strike back, then we get a war rather than a negotiation. NOBODY wins in that situation.
Get back to me when the owners do that. They never have. It's about time they did. The league should have consulted the players on this matter a long time ago but they did not. The league creates their own problems and blames the players. Fehr will not put up with that.

Old
01-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
HF anti-tank squad

Quote:
wow, just, wow

where else could we have gotten a team

:r ant:

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Reality Check

Two words:

Donald Fehr

Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Get back to me when the owners do that. They never have. It's about time they did. The league should have consulted the players on this matter a long time ago but they did not. The league creates their own problems and blames the players. Fehr will not put up with that.
Good, then let the players start their own league if the current conditions are so much like a coal mine. There's precedent for it in baseball.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Egil

This is of course obviously a CBA move. The question, which I am sure we will get an answer too in the not too distant future, is what exactly did the NHLPA request from the NHL?

Since this re-alignment was a clear setup for future expansion and at least one relocation, which provides non hockey related revenues to the owners. I suspect that the NHLPA will put up a fight to have those revenues included in exchange for the coming reduction in their % (which seems inevitable after the NFL and NBA CBA's), but obviously, it is very hard to demand something for a CBA that doesn't exist. However, a relocation fee related to Phoenix seems quite likely before the current CBA expires, so, I guess and predict that the NHLPA told the NHL that they will only agree to the re-alignment IF the relocation fee that the NHL is about to get from Phoenix gets included in the hockey related revenue.

Egil is offline   Reply With Quote