HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NHLPA rejects league approved four-conference re-alignment

Old
01-06-2012, 07:39 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=610349

League/Daly statement:
Quote:
"It is unfortunate that the NHLPA has unreasonably refused to approve a Plan that an overwhelming majority of our Clubs voted to support, and that has received such widespread support from our fans and other members of the hockey community, including Players," said NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly. "We have now spent the better part of four weeks attempting to satisfy the NHLPA’s purported concerns with the Plan with no success. Because we have already been forced to delay, and as a result are already late in beginning the process of preparing next season’s schedule, we have no choice but to abandon our intention to implement the Realignment Plan and modified Playoff Format for next season."

"We believe the Union acted unreasonably in violation of the League’s rights. We intend to evaluate all of our available legal options and to pursue adequate remedies, as appropriate."
Emphasis mine.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:42 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=610349

League/Daly statement:

Emphasis mine.
I imagine they'll file a grievance as kdp suggested

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Man, you think some teams are struggling now? Watch what happens if another strike happens in the next year or two. I'm thinking that would be the nail in the coffin for a few financially strapped teams. Not good news at all.

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JussiHikka

Unions, player's right, owner's right, rabble rabble rabble. Dumb move from the PA. Pick your battles wisely and you won't be digging yourself a hole come negotiation time.

Hope you're all getting ready for a lockout!

JussiHikka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/...balks-at-plan/

Sharks beat writer with some insight from Sharks Player Rep Joe Pavelski:
Quote:
Just talked with Sharks PA player rep Joe Pavelski and he summed up the problem saying there were too many unanswered questions connected with the realignment plan approved by the NHL board of governors in early December.

“Playoffs and different travel,” said Pavelski, prefacing it by noting he did not have all the reasons why talks fell through. “There were questions with the conferences and numbers of teams. There were a lot of situations that could be worked out either way, but there wasn’t a set plan. Is that out of the question for the future? Probably not. It’s just something that didn’t work out.”

Old
01-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Big McLargehuge
Diving in Head First

vCash: 422
One gigantic middle finger to the NHLPA on this one.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick

Last edited by LadyStanley: 01-06-2012 at 07:46 PM. Reason: natd
Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:44 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
I am Catbug

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Fair. I concede.
HAHA I WIN THE INTERNETS

lol

Tom ServoMST3K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:44 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

so the logic was "we need more details so let's just flat out reject it and open ourselves up to massive amounts of criticism"

well thought out move

Old
01-06-2012, 07:46 PM
Egil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
Really? IIRC, the NHLPA just said no to this re-allignment. Go and chat with some players and see what they'd like to improve off the ice in their professional life. They want some say. I didn't post that they hate a re-alliignment, just that they want more input in the decisions which affect them.
I don't disagree that the players have this sentiment, but this isn't a reason for blocking this, which will result in more money in their pockets. You don't take a major PR hit while blocking a situation that has a clear reason for occurring (Winnipeg) and which will almost certainly increase the leagues (and hence, the players) revenues.

Hence why I suggest that your proposed reason is nonsense, this has to relate back to either a strategic move in the new CBA negotiations OR directly to money.

Egil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:47 PM
hoockeyrocks

as a casual hockey fan, im upset that there may be a strike next season.

i started to watch hockey after the 2010 olympics, and have really enjoyed it, but am maybe starting to watch less as the this seasons goes on... i still watch my favorites teams though regularly

if there is no season in september, im sure fans such as myself may just forget about watching it when it comes back! so please NHLPA and NHL dont strike

hoockeyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:47 PM
MoreOrr
B4

If the League truly decides to postpone realignment because of this, will they at least try to make some maneuver to put Winnipeg in the West?

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:48 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Mod note: stick to posting/responding to the facts and opinions. Don't go flaming/baiting posters/fan bases/teams.

Thread bans will happen (at the minimum).

Old
01-06-2012, 07:49 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
If the League truly decides to postpone realignment because of this, will they at least try to make some maneuver to put Winnipeg in the West?
Daly obviously wasn't clear on it, but I imagine they'll leave them in the East just to leave themselves some negotiating space with the PA

Old
01-06-2012, 07:49 PM
Egil

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/...balks-at-plan/

Sharks beat writer with some insight from Sharks Player Rep Joe Pavelski:
That is pretty terrible insight, he clearly knows nothing and is just using the, admittedly correct, downsides to the plan to give the reporter an answer. The NHLPA didn't reject this over that, as the only "uncertainty" was how to seed the 3rd round of the playoffs, which is hardly major.

Egil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:51 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoockeyrocks View Post
as a casual hockey fan, im upset that there may be a strike next season.
Actually, the players will have little strength to implement a strike "next season". They'll have a lot more strength should they choose to strike before the playoffs (however, that is prohibited by the current CBA, IIRC, so it might be interesting to see how things playout).

The owners have more power to "lock out" players (after the CBA expires in mid-September).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
That may be part of what Daly was referring to.

Old
01-06-2012, 07:51 PM
Jag68Sid87

Only a theory here, but could it be that the NHLPA is doing this to speed up the expansion process? More jobs created with two more teams, and with two more teams, the conferences would be divided equally.

Maybe the PA will say, "we'll approve it if you expand."

Just throwing it out there.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:52 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil View Post
That is pretty terrible insight, he clearly knows nothing and is just using the, admittedly correct, downsides to the plan to give the reporter an answer. The NHLPA didn't reject this over that, as the only "uncertainty" was how to seed the 3rd round of the playoffs, which is hardly major.
And 3rd/4th round playoff seeding was a negotiable item (IOW not set yet).

Old
01-06-2012, 07:53 PM
MXD

I don't even know why some people bother with that...
It's called "bargaining process".

Realignment has good points (moving WIN in the West) and bad points (uneven conferences...) but I fail to see how players are really at a disadvantage with it.

So, probably only Fehr who told his boys : no matter what you think, vote against.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil View Post
I don't know... there's no obvious reason for this rejection as everything except for the alignment was easily negotiable. It stinks of Fehr trying to give the owners a preview of the CBA negotiations

Old
01-06-2012, 07:55 PM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
This really is disgusting. I have a very hard time taking sides with players. They play a ****ing game. For MILLIONS. They make more in a year than the average American makes in a LIFETIME. And really, all they can do is *****, whine, moan, complain, and file GRIEVANCES? REALLY? They're fortunate to play 20 minutes a night, if that, once out of every 4 1/2 days in the year, for millions of dollars. I get so tired of this nonsense. Every player in the league is overpaid for what he does, in my opinion. Whatever, **** 'em. There's no league without owners shelling out big GD $'s in order for there to BE a league. These players have some serious stones. Cry babies. All of 'em.

Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:55 PM
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Only a theory here, but could it be that the NHLPA is doing this to speed up the expansion process? More jobs created with two more teams, and with two more teams, the conferences would be divided equally.

Maybe the PA will say, "we'll approve it if you expand."

Just throwing it out there.
What expansion process? The PA has no part in expansion, they work for teams that exist.

supahdupah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:56 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
Man, you think some teams are struggling now? Watch what happens if another strike happens in the next year or two. I'm thinking that would be the nail in the coffin for a few financially strapped teams. Not good news at all.
Try the whole league! At least 6 teams would disappear with a 3rd lockout.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:56 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fehr Time View Post
That's Winnipeg's problem not the NHLPA's. Maybe they should of thought of the ramifications of getting a team from Atlanta. If a missed season of hockey gets a better CBA for the players then so be it.
You're right - after all, think of all those years that the Avalance were stuck in the eastern Conference....

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Sad Leafs fan

vCash: 1807
If the players were not invited to be a part of the process of realignment then I don't blame them for rejecting this and support them 100%.

2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahdupah View Post
What expansion process? The PA has no part in expansion, they work for teams that exist.
They obviously want an expansion, though, to create more "jobs".