HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NHLPA rejects league approved four-conference re-alignment

Old
01-06-2012, 08:59 PM
viper0220
Go Jets Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Only a theory here, but could it be that the NHLPA is doing this to speed up the expansion process? More jobs created with two more teams, and with two more teams, the conferences would be divided equally.

Maybe the PA will say, "we'll approve it if you expand."

Just throwing it out there.

With this economy, it is not going to happen. The NHL gives them the middle finger.

viper0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:00 PM
arsmaster

Not sure why the PA is getting hated on, the NHL doesn't even have a plan for the playoffs yet, or a good enough reason why the "eastern" based teams get a better chance at the playoffs.

The plan only works it there is details....you can't leave the PA a deadline when you dont even know how the playoffs breakdown after the conference format.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:01 PM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Guys, relax!

What's going to happen is that the re-alignment will be figured out in the CBA negociations.

However, next season will possibly therefore need to have the current division alignment if they drag on for too long (something quite likely).

It's quite simple in that case if Pheonix moves (as is very likely now!), you switch Atlanta/Winnipeg in the Southeast division with Pheonix/Quebec City in the Pacific division.

Sure, it's not optimal, but in a worst case scenerio it'd be OK for one season.

However, I'm quite confident they'll get to an agreement to have the wanted re-alignment go trough.

Acesolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:02 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper0220 View Post
With this economy, it is not going to happen. The NHL gives them the middle finger.
Which is why expansion to Canada would be the way to go.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:07 PM
yukoner88

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
They obviously want an expansion, though, to create more "jobs".
If they are trying to bargain for that then the PA is leaping way past its boundaries. There is no guarentee of expansion right now and there is now way to tell how future expansion clubs would fair if the league did in fact choose to expand. Before trying to create new jobs, the PA should work to make sure the current level of employment is stable. Going on strike and/or forcing a lock out will put 100s of jobs at risk. The PA would lose this battle cause teams would fold, which would mean fewer jobs for the players they represent, and much less money to go around.

yukoner88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Dado

vCash:
"if you want something from me, I will say No, until I need something from you."

Old
01-06-2012, 09:13 PM
cutchemist42

Any chance the NHLPA would want two expansion teams to even out all conferences?

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:14 PM
Edgeworth*

Just goes to show that having Winnipeg around makes everything worse.

Upcoming lockout is going to be all Jets fault. And it should be, the current system is perfectly fine. The players probably remember how unbalanced and awful the old conference system was or maybe the daunting task of playing 4 playoff rounds before the Finals instead of the current 3 would be too daunting.

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:18 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
HF anti-tank squad

vCash: 2084
i'm FEHR-ly mad at this

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:19 PM
yukoner88

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth View Post

Upcoming lockout is going to be all Jets fault. And it should be, the current system is perfectly fine. The players probably remember how unbalanced and awful the old conference system was or maybe the daunting task of playing 4 playoff rounds before the Finals instead of the current 3 would be too daunting.
The last time there were unbalanced conferences most of the current players were still in elementary school. The proposed re-alignment would still have a total of 4 rds. 2 divisional rds then 1 semi-final then the Cup finals

yukoner88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:19 PM
Egil

Quote:
I don't know... there's no obvious reason for this rejection as everything except for the alignment was easily negotiable. It stinks of Fehr trying to give the owners a preview of the CBA negotiations
The NFL just signed a new CBA which gives the players 47-48.5% of NFL revenue.
The NBA just signed a new CBA which gives the players 51% of NBA revenue.
IN both cases, the players got a lower % of "revenue", but in return has got an expanded definition of "revenue".

So in comes the NHL, currently paying out 57% of NHL revenue, so what are they going to ask for (and to a certain degree, get)? A lower % of NHL revenue.

So, how does the NHLPA react to this? They will get in a big huff over the revenue % (which they will), but at the same time, they can create more hockey related revenue (HRR) by expanding the definition of HRR. So what are things that the NHLPA can go after? I'm sure they have there eyes on quite a few items relating to stadium revenues and other accounting acts, but beyond those, there is a very big looking carrot in Expansion/Relocation revenue.

I would argue that the new realignment clearly tells the NHLPA that the NHL plans to add 2 teams. Calling them "conferences" will allow the NHL to make divisions of 4 teams when each conference has 8 teams, which produces a perfect 6-4-2 schedule, was done 100% with the intent of adding 2 new teams.

So, if we think clearly, the realignment was actually the first move in the CBA negotiations. It was a clear opening offer of status quo on expansion/relocation fees, and the NHLPA move is clearly a rejection of said offer. It goes to the sublety of Bettmans offer that only in having it rejected has it started the CBA talk.

Last edited by Egil: 01-06-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Egil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:21 PM
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

Quote:
They obviously want an expansion, though, to create more "jobs".
Well, of course they want things, but they only have a part in things related to owners that actually exist.

supahdupah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:22 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:

Upcoming lockout is going to be all Jets fault.
And it should be, the current system is perfectly fine. The players probably remember how unbalanced and awful the old conference system was or maybe the daunting task of playing 4 playoff rounds before the Finals instead of the current 3 would be too daunting.
Sarcasm?

I would say it's the fault of the NHLPA for being rich, spoiled rotten little boys who clearly have no concern with regards to the ramifications of a potential strike on the league as opposed to them making another quick mil. Don't blame an entire city or their fanbase for the selfish actions of millionairs.

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:22 PM
Hawker14

I think the NHLPA is well within their rights to veto this.

If the majority of players will have to endure added travel time in order to do their jobs, then that is a change in their working conditions, and thus, it's reasonable for them, and their bargained right, to reject this.

The NHL negotiated their management rights away in this regard, and really has no one to blame but itself. They should of worked with the union on this, instead of making them bystanders.

Hawker14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:24 PM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

Quote:

Agreed. Too many playoff rounds could very well lead to more injuries and a subsequent deterioration of the quality of play. Players should not have to play so much hockey, it is bad for them and the fans.

Fehr Time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:26 PM
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker14 View Post

If the majority of players will have to endure added travel time in order to do their jobs, then that is a change in their working conditions, and thus, it's reasonable for them, and their bargained right, to reject this.

The NHL negotiated their management rights away in this regard, and really has no one to blame but itself. They should of worked with the union on this, instead of making them bystanders.
If they didn't bargain for a say they don't get one. A union isn't entitled to dictate how a business operates. The CBA language related to this has been posted. We'll see soon how it plays out, hopefully. I don't trust the sports media to provide a clue to anything legal or financial.

Old
01-06-2012, 09:27 PM
Dado

vCash:
BOG - we want realignment.

NHLPA - we want to go to Sochi and have a team in Hamilton

BOG - **** you

HFBoards - "zomg players are greedy bastardz!!!!"

Old
01-06-2012, 09:28 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:

Considering the shear number of trips that west coast teams have to make to the east and central teams have to make to the west that would be eliminated, I'm not seeing how the new proposal added at all to travel schedules for players.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:29 PM
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
BOG - we want realignment.

NHLPA - we want to go to Sochi and have a team in Hamilton

BOG - **** you

HFBoards - "zomg players are greedy bastardz!!!!"
Hmm I think you just made the opposite point you intended.

Old
01-06-2012, 09:29 PM
Hawker14

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahdupah View Post
If they didn't bargain for a say they don't get one. A union isn't entitled to dictate how a business operates. The CBA language related to this has been posted. We'll see soon how it plays out, hopefully. I don't trust the sports media to provide a clue to anything legal or financial.
They did bargain for a say.

Quote:
30.3 Amendments. The NHL and its Clubs shall not, during the term of this
Agreement or any extension thereof, [b]amend or modify the provisions (or portions
thereof) of the League Rules or any of the League's Playing Rules in existence on the
date of this Agreement which affect terms or conditions of employment of any Player,
without the prior written consent of the NHLPA which shall not be unreasonably
withheld. The NHL shall furnish any proposed amendment to the League Rules to the
NHLPA on a rolling basis regardless of whether such proposed amendment may impact
terms and conditions of employment.

Old
01-06-2012, 09:30 PM
objectiveposter

are people on this board still dumb enough to think teams will actually fold if there is another lockout? no chance in hell... these franchises are worth 150 mill+ and the teams that are in the worst financial shape lose less money with a lockout because they dont have to pay 40 mill+ in salaries

they should just swap winnipeg and nashville... jets in the central and the preds in the southeast for 1 season

if the coyotes end up moving to quebec they will have to play in the pacific division.. which is more absurd than the jets in the southeast

objectiveposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:31 PM
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

Quote:
I think you are missing some key bolding.

Old
01-06-2012, 09:31 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
So they were okay with it before, but now all of a sudden they are not?

Old
01-06-2012, 09:33 PM
Hawker14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
So they were okay with it before, but now all of a sudden they are not?
Apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahdupah View Post
I think you are missing some key bolding.
Perhaps.

I have spent a couple years in labour relations, though, and am confident in my interpretation.

Old
01-06-2012, 09:35 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Apparently.
Golly Gee. I wonder what ever could have changed their minds.

If this is true, then I now have no doubt this is nothing more than a barganing ploy on the NHLPA's part.