HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

3rd Jersey

Old
01-20-2012, 12:10 PM
Ridick

vCash: 500
3rd Jersey

I don't come to this board much so sorry if this has been discussed a lot already but would you like to see the Caps adopt a 3rd jersey next season? I think they would look awesome in a black uniform using their secondary logo as the crest.

Here's the logo I'm thinking of:

What do you guys think? Maybe someone good with photoshop could come up with some concepts

Ridick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:22 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

They've said many times they want to wait awhile before adopting a true 3rd jersey (if you don't count them using the slightly modified WC jerseys on the road once in awhile this season).

And since they might be in line for another WC after next season, they'll probably want to avoid bringing out a 3rd jersey between now and then, since they'll probably come up with a new, "home" WC jersey.

So you'll be waiting awhile I imagine.

EDIT: Also doubt they'd go for black. They've been down that road and probably don't want to go back for some time (even if those jerseys had their charm, IMO). Maybe they do blue but since so much of their marketing is "red" based you'd have to think they'd incorporate it heavily into any future identity tweaks.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Liberati0n
Jesus Christ Marie

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
EDIT: Also doubt they'd go for black. They've been down that road and probably don't want to go back for some time (even if those jerseys had their charm, IMO). Maybe they do blue but since so much of their marketing is "red" based you'd have to think they'd incorporate it heavily into any future identity tweaks.
I really love the blue jerseys from the 90s. Obviously they won't return to those, but something based around the new eagle logo on a blue jersey could work well. Like you said though, irrelevant for now.

Liberati0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:36 PM
txpd

* those blues were wizards blue. looked good but blue bronze and white doesnt say washington capitals to me.

* black jerseys??? this aint the oakland raider here. what about black says washington capitals to you?

* caps main selling slogan is rock the red. black?

the WC sweater is their 3rd. i suspect that they will keep there throwback as a 3rd and thats enough

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:14 PM
hb11xchamps

If we do intend to get the Winter Classic I hope they come up with a 3rd jersey and just debut it there. I have always like those concepts that someone designed with the Weagle logo on the front and the blue sweater. Anyone know what im talking about

hb11xchamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:18 PM
txpd

seems pretty likely that a home winter classic jersey would be a red version of the throwback white that they wore at last year's wc. that would give them red and white in both current and throwback to sell.

its the philosophy of the team not to present a game uniform that is not instantly recognizable as the washington capitals.

Old
01-20-2012, 02:35 PM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
seems pretty likely that a home winter classic jersey would be a red version of the throwback white that they wore at last year's wc. that would give them red and white in both current and throwback to sell.

its the philosophy of the team not to present a game uniform that is not instantly recognizable as the washington capitals.
I know it seems likely and it probably will happen I would just like to see a team not go with a throwback jersey for once and go with a sweet new 3rd jersey

Old
01-20-2012, 02:38 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Jersey concepts from Icethetics.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:41 PM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Jersey concepts from Icethetics.
This one is my favorite

Old
01-20-2012, 02:43 PM
txpd

yea...those blue jerseys make all kinds of sense. in the thrashers last two seasons in atlanta. while calling their barn "blueland" they introduced a red third jersey. proper branding requires consistancy.

it would be like the new york rangers introducing a RED 3rd jersey. the broadway blue...i mean...red shirts.

Old
01-20-2012, 02:56 PM
Devil Dancer

No more black, I hated the black home jerseys (former 3rds). The blue one with the Weagle seems pretty obvious to me.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:58 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Personally the weagle as a main logo is full of so much fail.

01-20-2012, 03:01 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
yea...those blue jerseys make all kinds of sense. in the thrashers last two seasons in atlanta. while calling their barn "blueland" they introduced a red third jersey. proper branding requires consistancy.

it would be like the new york rangers introducing a RED 3rd jersey. the broadway blue...i mean...red shirts.
Rock the Red isn't going to last forever, though. Eventually they'll come up with a new marketing scheme in which a primarily blue jersey could work. Just might take longer than their next winter classic.

Old
01-20-2012, 03:44 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Rock the Red isn't going to last forever, though. Eventually they'll come up with a new marketing scheme in which a primarily blue jersey could work. Just might take longer than their next winter classic.
i disagree. you still end up with an arena full of fans in red cheering on the blue team while the visiting white has primary red trim.

i am trying to imagine the flames and their red fans base wearing no-red at home.

rock the red i feel pretty strongly is tradition now, not trend.

hey, with mcphee out and new gm might feel differently. a lot of mcphee's philosophy is on display with the uni's. he played in montreal and ny where the uni's bring tradition and reliability and worked in vancouver where they struggled mightily for a uni that gave them an identity.

best i can tell mcphee was against the black caps jersey's from day one.

Old
01-20-2012, 04:01 PM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

Yeah, I think any third jersey will be red.

Edit: And if we do come out with a third jersey in the next few years, it'll be hideous or just a slightly different version of our throwback (which isn't very pretty to begin with).

blokeyhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:08 PM

The black / powder blue pens jersey is badass.

I'm a big fan of the black / red jersey they sell at Verizon center.

442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:32 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
i disagree. you still end up with an arena full of fans in red cheering on the blue team while the visiting white has primary red trim.

i am trying to imagine the flames and their red fans base wearing no-red at home.

rock the red i feel pretty strongly is tradition now, not trend.

hey, with mcphee out and new gm might feel differently. a lot of mcphee's philosophy is on display with the uni's. he played in montreal and ny where the uni's bring tradition and reliability and worked in vancouver where they struggled mightily for a uni that gave them an identity.

best i can tell mcphee was against the black caps jersey's from day one.
Well yeah, part of it is that any potential change in management could entail a similar image change. A slow backing away from "rock the red" would not be a surprise in such a case. It would just take time.

But I don't see how "rock the red" can ever really be "tradition." It's marketing. It's very popular (evidently) but marketing can always be changed. It would just take a reason for them to want to do it, which they don't have at the moment (goes back to whether they would need an image change in the future etc.)

Old
01-20-2012, 04:38 PM
Carlzner
Game of Tanks

I would like a 3rd jersey centered around a blue different design.
Our 3rd is just a classic version of the same logo.

I like the Weagle or old Eagle.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:16 PM
Ridick

Quote:
* those blues were wizards blue. looked good but blue bronze and white doesnt say washington capitals to me.

* black jerseys??? this aint the oakland raider here. what about black says washington capitals to you?

* caps main selling slogan is rock the red. black?

the WC sweater is their 3rd. i suspect that they will keep there throwback as a 3rd and thats enough
That's why it's called a 3RD jersey, it's only worn a handful of times a year, it wouldn't affect the slogan cause they're still wearing red and white 70 games out of the year. Whats the point of making a 3rd jersey with the exact same colours as the original?

Ridick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:46 PM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridick View Post
That's why it's called a 3RD jersey, it's only worn a handful of times a year, it wouldn't affect the slogan cause they're still wearing red and white 70 games out of the year. Whats the point of making a 3rd jersey with the exact same colours as the original?
This.

Old
01-21-2012, 12:21 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridick View Post
Until a couple years ago, Colorado's alternate jersey used the same color scheme as their home jersey.

I wouldn't be opposed to a jersey with a similar idea for the Capitals, despite it not meshing historically with our actual retros.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote