HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2011 Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part 4

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2012, 11:57 AM
Brave Sir Robin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
roy is injured again as of last night. he at least left that game with an injury.
how much of what posters on other boards say about their players should matter here?
yes, buffalo fans are hating on roy and ducks fans are hating on getzlaf. here criticism of getzlaf is dismissed. why not roy as well?
Maybe because Getzlaf >> Roy, so when they are both under performing the former gets the benefit of the doubt. Kind of like Ovi did earlier this season.

Old
01-07-2012, 12:05 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishMeatballs1990 View Post
I want Derek Roy... He should be available if the Sabres don't pick it up... He's close to a PPG center, and would truly be an elite 2C (at least from a production standpoint). He's also signed fairly cheap with a 4mil cap hit.

OV-Roy-Brouwer
Mojo-Backstrom-Semin

Looks like a great top 6 to me...
Didn't I tell you to stop?

Roy sucks donkey balls.

Old
01-07-2012, 12:20 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post

Roy sucks donkey balls.
I said the same thing, but was just a bit more diplomatic about it.

Old
01-07-2012, 12:50 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
Maybe because Getzlaf >> Roy, so when they are both under performing the former gets the benefit of the doubt. Kind of like Ovi did earlier this season.
is getzlaf better is not that much better.
and if roy sucks donkey balls, he should be available for say...schultz?

Old
01-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
LOL, we wish. Schultz wont get much, but a draft pick. That's fine....we need the salary space. If we trade him, that opens up 2.75m -- we also should have about 1m also remaining -- so a 3.75m tops player.

Roy, Stafford, Boyes are all cost prohibitive unless even more salary is shipped out.

Old
01-07-2012, 01:07 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Roy sucks at his job; but not to the point where he can't get a regular shift. So no, Schultz isn't a fair swap.

Old
01-07-2012, 01:41 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Quote:

Roy sucks donkey balls.
Yeah I forgot, I have to listen to you because you know everything right? IDC what anyone says, Roy would be very beneficial to this team. He has great speed and is a good playmaker (the only true playmaker on this team is 19). Just last year, Roy was considered their best player and untouchable and fans were ecstatic to get him back for game 7 in Philly. Half a season shouldn't change that. He could easily turn it around playing with OV, as he has been right around a PPG the 3 years prior. He'd give us the best center depth we've ever had, and a top 5 trio in the league. He also has a very low cap-hit for being an elite 2C. I guarantee you that if Buffalo trades him they will regret it, and if they don't they will feel very lucky.

Old
01-07-2012, 01:42 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Yeah I forgot, I have to listen to you because you know everything right? IDC what anyone says, Roy would be very beneficial to this team. He has great speed and is a good playmaker (the only true playmaker on this team is 19). Just last year, Roy was considered their best player and untouchable and fans were ecstatic to get him back for game 7 in Philly. Half a season shouldn't change that. He could easily turn it around playing with OV, as he has been right around a PPG the 3 years prior. He'd give us the best center depth we've ever had, and a top 5 trio in the league. He also has a very low cap-hit for being an elite 2C. I guarantee you that if Buffalo trades him they will regret it, and if they don't they will feel very lucky.

So... like Mojo...?

Old
01-07-2012, 02:05 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
So... like Mojo...?
You really have to do this? Roy is pretty much what we want Mojo to become, but he's not the elite 2C that we need to be a true contender YET...

Old
01-07-2012, 03:01 PM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
Forgive me, but where did I say that Roy sucks? Roy is a good player, but Getzlaf is on a whole another level.

Old
01-07-2012, 03:17 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Derek Roy is really the last thing this team needs. He's undersized and easily knocked off the puck. He's got a good motor, but at 5'9" he really can't do much in the grit department -and his playoff performances confirm that.

Most telling is that the Sabres committed to him as a cornerstone of their franchise, and how has he repaid them? By falling off a cliff.

Comparing Mojo's upside to Roy's current game is just baffling. Baffling.

It would be amusing for about 30 seconds to see him center Ovechkin and Brouwer, but in terms of real world hockey, there's really no reason to pursue him.

Old
01-07-2012, 03:22 PM
um

roy is a great option if we cant get getzlaf, probably the best one

Old
01-07-2012, 03:24 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
You really have to do this? Roy is pretty much what we want Mojo to become, but he's not the elite 2C that we need to be a true contender YET...
I for one would be really pissed if Mojo becomes a soft, diving perimiter ***** like Roy

Old
01-07-2012, 03:29 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
I for one would be really pissed if Mojo becomes a soft, diving perimiter ***** like Roy
You are certainly not the only one.

Old
01-07-2012, 03:30 PM
txpd

Quote:
Roy sucks at his job; but not to the point where he can't get a regular shift. So no, Schultz isn't a fair swap.
so, you are saying that sucking donkey balls was a little bit of an overstatement???

Old
01-07-2012, 03:32 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
so, you are saying that sucking donkey balls was a little bit of an overstatement???
Not at all. Just that Schultz sucks worse. Hoorah!

Old
01-07-2012, 03:34 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Not at all. Just that Schultz sucks worse. Hoorah!
Goat balls then?

Old
01-07-2012, 03:49 PM
BPMrules

Looks like Eklund is playing NHL12 in GM mode again today.
Still an idiot (E5).

Old
01-07-2012, 04:48 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPMrules View Post
Looks like Eklund is playing NHL12 in GM mode again today.
Still an idiot (E5).
Yep, he always brings out the best on the trade forums, lol. People always scared when that idiot posts stuff on his blog. I thought his sources were banned on HF? Oh well, it funny watching the trade forums go insane.

Old
01-07-2012, 05:44 PM
txpd

burke called mcphee begging him to take colton orr. so...they talked

Old
01-07-2012, 07:40 PM
artilector

Have a couple of questions about what people think about how the Caps D' will evolve. Didn't want to add a separate thread, since this is really about long term team construction, figured it belongs here.

I've watched few Caps games this year (various things put a damper in my hopes for this year, so mostly waiting for playoffs), so I'm interested in the opinions of more regular observers.

1. What do you think the defense will look like next year...
Carlson, Alzner, Orlov, Erskine -- no-brainers (or cheap).. who else?
2. Is Schultz going to be traded, or do you think he has a future on this team?
3. With this groin problem, do you think Green is damaged goods, or will recover to a level where he will be dependable at least in terms of staying healthy.
3a. What is your current expectation/guess about the kind of contract that the Caps might offer Green after this year.
4. Hamrlik has been quite uneven, so.. if he again becomes/continues to be unreliable.. is he tradeable, do you think? Or are the Caps stuck with him for all intents and purposes?
5. Wideman... what will it take to re-sign him?
6. (this one unrelated to D) Of the (re)signed forwards -- Laich, Ward, Brouwer, who has been performing the best/worst relative to their paygrade, and how do you think that will translate to playoff hockey?

Thanks!

p.s. txpd has ~33K posts.. holy mother of god

Old
01-07-2012, 07:59 PM
txpd

devils score. they are up 3-1. pens are on the road to losing 5 in a row. caps win tonight and they catch the pens.

Old
01-07-2012, 08:03 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
Carlson, Alzner, Orlov, Erskine -- no-brainers (or cheap).. who else?
2. Is Schultz going to be traded, or do you think he has a future on this team?
3. With this groin problem, do you think Green is damaged goods, or will recover to a level where he will be dependable at least in terms of staying healthy.
3a. What is your current expectation/guess about the kind of contract that the Caps might offer Green after this year.
4. Hamrlik has been quite uneven, so.. if he again becomes/continues to be unreliable.. is he tradeable, do you think? Or are the Caps stuck with him for all intents and purposes?
6. (this one unrelated to D) Of the (re)signed forwards -- Laich, Ward, Brouwer, who has been performing the best/worst relative to their paygrade, and how do you think that will translate to playoff hockey?
Good conversation starter.

1-3) Schultz should have been traded a year or two ago. I'm not so confident it's going to happen though. It's not that Green is damaged goods, it's that he's unreliable. He misses far too much time. Even if he were to recover fully, he can be counted on to miss 30 games each year, and if that happens in May, what's the point? I sincerely hope he is not back next year. Washington has a real chance to ice:

Suter-Carlson
Alzner-Orlov
Hamrlik-Wideman

It'd be a shame not to take that shot.

4) Hamrlik is untradeable. It is what it is.

5) I'd like to keep Wideman, but his contract is going to suck. At least with Dale on board, his offense should stay on track. I really wouldn't want to go past $4.5 and 3 years. If that's not possible, there's good UFAs out there: Beauchemin, Jackman, and Stuart would all be welcome on the third pairing.

6) Laich needs to step up his production. At his pay grade, he really needs to reach 20 goals and 50 points. I've been more impressed with Brouwer than I thought I would be and less impressed with Ward. I think both are great additions though and will shine if we make the postseason.

Old
01-07-2012, 08:11 PM
DCRedhawk21

These are just my humble guesses:

Carlson, Alzner, Orlov, Erskine -- no-brainers (or cheap).. who else?:

Realistically?
Carlzner
Hamrlik - Green
Erskine - Orlov
Schultz

Ideally?

Carlzner
Suter - Green
Hamrlik - Orlov
Erskine

2. Is Schultz going to be traded, or do you think he has a future on this team?:

He won't be traded IMO, but he won't be re-signed either after his contract is up (after next season I think?)

Impossible to tell.. depends on what actions the team can take to protect him and his luck... he's going to be a target to of borderline hits, as team knows it's the way to throw him, and the team, off their game

2 years x 5.75 million if he continues to have injury problems this year.... 5 x 6.5 if he plays extremely well down the stretch and doesn't have any issues

He's looked better as of late, but there's a chance a cap floor make take him if he is going to retire in the offseason

Probably a lot, and I personally think he walks in the off-season.

Brouwer has gotten some flak, but he's been exactly what anyone who watched him expected him to be... hits a lot but never any highlight reel hits... screens the goalie and plays around the net relatively well, and can chip in a bit offensively. Ward has been somewhat disappointing, and Laich is about the same as he's always been

I'll probably end up eating crow on at least a couple of these, but I'm just spit balling here

Old
01-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Capitlols

It will be tough, but I really wish we could somehow land Getzlaf. Our potential top 6 would be unbelievable:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Kuznetsov
Johansson-Getzlaf-Brouwer

Or whichever way you want to mix and match.

Closed Thread