HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part 4

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2012, 06:23 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Why would anyone think Green is gone after this year? While you may want him to be, what evidence is there that it would be the case?
dont want green on the team. just wishful thinking on his part. i am not sure he would be very happy with the contract it might require to get suter signed and the lenth of that deal. those kind of ufa deals are rarely good for the team involved

Old
01-16-2012, 06:29 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I mean, I could certainly see the point that he's too unreliable to commit big dollars to, but GMGM isn't just going to let him walk. More than likely, he'll be back for one year at his QO, or 2-3 at a lesser rate.

Old
01-16-2012, 06:36 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Playing on the very wishful thinking that we use Green's LTIR space to spring for Suter (not going to happen, but we can pretend), who do we pair him with?

Do we keep Carlzner together, especially with Carlson struggling, and pair him with Wideman until Green returns? Even after Green returns?

Presumably, Suter would be our shutdown guy. I wouldn't want to expose Wideman to that kind of workload. Same applies to Orlov, and not even really Carlson unless he picks up his play to at least close to last year's standards. Wouldn't mind putting Green in that role once he returns (he was on our shutdown pair with Hamrlik during the first seven games), but who knows if he'll be 100% at all this year, and throwing him right into that role during the playoffs would be scary.

So, I'd say put Alzner at RD and pair him with Suter. That would be a shutdown pair, and both are solid at moving the puck. Then roll Hamrlik-Carlson and Orlov/Erskine/Schultz-Wideman.

Old
01-16-2012, 06:38 PM
Everlong
-

Curious, why is Knuble struggling to put up points this season. He's usually pretty consistent year to year. Is he expendable for the right price at this point? Cheers.

Old
01-16-2012, 06:41 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
Curious, why is Knuble struggling to put up points this season. He's usually pretty consistent year to year. Is he expendable for the right price at this point? Cheers.
he was put on the 4th line very early in the season. you dont score from there particularly as a garbage man. there is no garbage on the 4th line. he finally complained about it and his role has seemed to increase. we'll see what he brings down the stretch

Old
01-16-2012, 06:47 PM
artilector

This is never gonna happen.. but as I don't have a lot of faith in McPhee's ability to build a Cup-winning team (he can build a solid team, but it's not the same thing), I wouldn't mind a sell-off.

1. Alzner, Carlson, Orlov seem to be very good future d-men. They'll really mature a few years from now.
2. In the forwards corps, Ovechkin's regression has been scary (despite partial recent recovery).. simply can't afford him to operate below superstar level. Backstrom and Johansson are the only guys that I really like long term relative to current/expected contract value. Maybe some cheaper pieces like Brouwer.
3. So I wouldn't mind if a new crazy GM came in, rebuilt the team around Backstrom, Johansson, Alzner, Carlson, Orlov. With the amount of return the other players would generate Caps would be back among the elite in no time, and fully restocked with assets when this core really comes into its own.
4. It's too bad that the goalie situation seems to be in flux for the upcoming years. But I guess as long as the defense is solid, it's better to go with non-star goalies than god forbid sign a Huet or Bryzgalov. It hasn't worked for Philly, lol, but maybe they pull all the bad karma away from the other teams!

I don't know, to me the promise of the Young Guns era seems kind of over. Backstrom is good, Ovi is.. scaring all of us, Green/Semin -- permanent question marks that are too expensive to wait for. I would sure be glad to be wrong..

As things stand, I expect Caps to continue to:
1. Keep talented but inconsistent players that will continue to make playoffs an interesting experience
2. Make occasional nice short-term signings while overpaying on multi-year deals for unspectacular or iffy players
3. Sign players at their peak, or let them go for nothing by not making any deals and waiting until the very last moment.
4. Draft pretty well, in great part by taking chances on skilled Russian guys that scare everyone else, lol
5. ...
6. Profit?

I guess the Caps will always have a puncher's chance, and these young players will continue to be fun to watch. But I feel like as long as McPhee continues to be in charge, it will always be a (deeply) flawed team, which makes it a constant tough uphill climb. Not that there are any guarantees that another GM will be better, but still..

Old
01-16-2012, 07:09 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
This is never gonna happen.. but as I don't have a lot of faith in McPhee's ability to build a Cup-winning team (he can build a solid team, but it's not the same thing), I wouldn't mind a sell-off.

1. Alzner, Carlson, Orlov seem to be very good future d-men. They'll really mature a few years from now.
2. In the forwards corps, Ovechkin's regression has been scary (despite partial recent recovery).. simply can't afford him to operate below superstar level. Backstrom and Johansson are the only guys that I really like long term relative to current/expected contract value. Maybe some cheaper pieces like Brouwer.
3. So I wouldn't mind if a new crazy GM came in, rebuilt the team around Backstrom, Johansson, Alzner, Carlson, Orlov. With the amount of return the other players would generate Caps would be back among the elite in no time, and fully restocked with assets when this core really comes into its own.
4. It's too bad that the goalie situation seems to be in flux for the upcoming years. But I guess as long as the defense is solid, it's better to go with non-star goalies than god forbid sign a Huet or Bryzgalov. It hasn't worked for Philly, lol, but maybe they pull all the bad karma away from the other teams!

I don't know, to me the promise of the Young Guns era seems kind of over. Backstrom is good, Ovi is.. scaring all of us, Green/Semin -- permanent question marks that are too expensive to wait for. I would sure be glad to be wrong..

As things stand, I expect Caps to continue to:
1. Keep talented but inconsistent players that will continue to make playoffs an interesting experience
2. Make occasional nice short-term signings while overpaying on multi-year deals for unspectacular or iffy players
3. Sign players at their peak, or let them go for nothing by not making any deals and waiting until the very last moment.
4. Draft pretty well, in great part by taking chances on skilled Russian guys that scare everyone else, lol
5. ...
6. Profit?

I guess the Caps will always have a puncher's chance, and these young players will continue to be fun to watch. But I feel like as long as McPhee continues to be in charge, it will always be a (deeply) flawed team, which makes it a constant tough uphill climb. Not that there are any guarantees that another GM will be better, but still..
There certainly is a part of me that can't help but want this. I think it's possible that a new GM could oversee a mini-rebuild, somewhere in between this year's Flyers and a real rebuild. Ovechkin will probably never be traded, but I think even with his improving play I would support it. I think I would want a new coach brought in, too, unless the new GM really wanted to mold the team to Hunter's approach.

Old
01-16-2012, 07:27 PM
Halpysback

If we're bringing in Suter at the deadline for some reason, I'd say Suter-Carlson, Alzner-Orlov and Hamrlik-Wideman. That said, giving up a ton for Suter in a year where Backstrom is a question mark doesn't make much sense. Though in the offseason we should be all over getting him if he tests FA, he's the kind of player you can risk a lifetime contract on.

Old
01-16-2012, 08:38 PM
thewill78

I just saw Bob Mackenzie say on NHL Network that we aren't shopping Schultz...

Old
01-16-2012, 08:40 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

There's not many people in the NHL making a business out of acquiring poo. So I guess we got to keep him in Dead Pylon Storage... Cause we in da bizness of storing Dead Pylons.

Old
01-16-2012, 08:41 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewill78 View Post

Old
01-16-2012, 08:51 PM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
F word

Old
01-16-2012, 08:57 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
i figured George still feels highly of Sarge and wouldn't trade him on the low for cap space and take another fail on a 1st on his resume. The problem is that George feels even higher of Dale. Who obviously feels much less so of Sarge.

Yonkmanned, Emingered, Schultzed.

I suspect JJ has been asked to take on fixing Sarge as a personal favor.

Old
01-16-2012, 09:16 PM
Capitlols

Then send him down. He wants to play, let him.

Old
01-16-2012, 09:25 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

You all know what he's thinking.

Gmgm: "we can keep sarge now that green is ltir"...

Old
01-16-2012, 09:26 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

If people are talking about developing young talented dman, is Jim Johnson the assistant coach you want for that?

Hell is Hunter the best for that? Most of your elite retired dman aren't gonna come back to be a an assistant coach.

Old
01-16-2012, 09:34 PM
tycoonheart

JJ sounds like he can be a very good teacher.

Old
01-16-2012, 09:34 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
If people are talking about developing young talented dman, is Jim Johnson the assistant coach you want for that?
Based on everything I've seen and heard, absolutely. No way to know for sure at this point.

Old
01-16-2012, 09:41 PM
tycoonheart

Dale is used to teaching a bunch of teenagers how to play the game. So why couldn't he teach a bunch of young players at this level?

Old
01-16-2012, 10:02 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
dont want green on the team. just wishful thinking on his part. i am not sure he would be very happy with the contract it might require to get suter signed and the lenth of that deal. those kind of ufa deals are rarely good for the team involved

Yeah. Signing a #1 dman as a UFA is an idiot move.

Old
01-16-2012, 10:11 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
McPhee makes information available to the media when he wants it available. If that's legit info, he leaked it to drive up Schutlz's value. More likely it's either not legit or diluted by "the grapevine."

Old
01-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Stewie G

Don't forget Gonchar! I guess he counts as a #1.

Old
01-16-2012, 10:16 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Don't forget Gonchar! I guess he counts as a #1.

Thank you. So that's four out the past five Stanley Cup champions who signed a #1 dman as a UFA. And that "rarely works out". Technically, all five of the most recent Stanley Cup champions signed a #1 dmen as an unrestricted free agent, but Campbell wasn't a major part of Chicago's team, so I'll cede that one to TXPD.

Old
01-16-2012, 10:18 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Rafalski in Detroit wasn't a #1.

Old
01-16-2012, 10:19 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Rafalski in Detroit wasn't a #1.
I'm using it as a generic descriptor. Suter isn't the #1 in Nashville either, but he's a #1 dman.

Closed Thread