HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part 4

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2012, 08:16 PM
DCRedhawk21

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
It will be tough, but I really wish we could somehow land Getzlaf. Our potential top 6 would be unbelievable:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Kuznetsov
Johansson-Getzlaf-Brouwer

Or whichever way you want to mix and match.

In the spirit of your final sentence, in this completely hypothetical scenario, I would like:

Ovcechkin - Getzlaf - Brouwer
Johansson - Backstrom - Kuznetsov (can't wait to see this line regardless)

Old
01-07-2012, 08:26 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Art - we missed you man!

If Green is here and healthy, Wideman is not. Green salary offer and personnel next year, this is perhaps THE hardest time all year to answer those questions. Lets see how he does for a few more games, back for just 1 thus far.

I think Sarge will stay here this year, can't have enough D theory. George will ask JJ to give it the old college try and sort him out, as a favor to him. I think if Hammer is horribe he is still tradeable, but next year at the deadline. Someone with 40M in cap space could use a vet shot blocker. Lucky he is not horrible so he is tradeable. But I think George has no intention of trading him. This Hammer is the guy he wanted. Remember, George knew a summer ago this is the lineup he wanted. If we keep winning, expect no one sent out.

Laich close to expectation, Brouwer above, Ward below. I expect exactly that come playoff time. I am really excited about Brouwer. Until Ward shows me some offensive determination, hitting, better finishing, I am not expecting much more than solid board work come the playoffs.

Old
01-07-2012, 08:40 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
1. What do you think the defense will look like next year...
Carlson, Alzner, Orlov, Erskine -- no-brainers (or cheap).. who else?
Suter-Green
Carlson-Alzner
Schultz/Hamrlik-Orlov
Erskine

Quote:
2. Is Schultz going to be traded, or do you think he has a future on this team?
He clearly doesn't fit Hunter's scheme. As someone who is also tall, slow white guy, I can tell you that regardless of the sport, players like us are better used in zone defenses. When we can stay in a spot and use our size, we can be effective. In man, our speed gets exposed, and we're far less effective. Hockey and basketball are similar that way. Considering he's under contract through the next two seasons, it makes sense to trade him. With how many teams there are needing defensive depth, I'm sure someone who runs a zone defense will be willing to give up a 3rd-4th rounder for him.

Quote:
3. With this groin problem, do you think Green is damaged goods, or will recover to a level where he will be dependable at least in terms of staying healthy.
Isn't this his first groin injury? I think it's far to early to say he's damaged goods. Having a concussion, ankle, and groin injury in one calendar year is just a result of bad luck and other teams running him. In the previous 5 seasons, he's only had one other significant injury (as in costing him more than 3 games). I'm optimistic that he'll be in the lineup for the rest of the season.

Quote:
3a. What is your current expectation/guess about the kind of contract that the Caps might offer Green after this year.
5.5x5

Quote:
4. Hamrlik has been quite uneven, so.. if he again becomes/continues to be unreliable.. is he tradeable, do you think? Or are the Caps stuck with him for all intents and purposes?
If the change to man-on-man is the reason behind his recent good play, I think he could be tradable again by the deadline. I'd love to see Schultz and Hamrlik gone by the start of next year, but I doubt we give up on both of them. Probably just one gets traded.

Quote:
5. Wideman... what will it take to re-sign him?
Too much. I think he could easily get an offer of over 5M per year on the open market. I'd far rather spend that money on Suter.

Quote:
6. (this one unrelated to D) Of the (re)signed forwards -- Laich, Ward, Brouwer, who has been performing the best/worst relative to their paygrade, and how do you think that will translate to playoff hockey?
Brouwer has been pretty much what I expected, and the hitting is much appreciated. Laich has played well defensively, but with that contract, he should be producing more offense. Put someone like Frans Nielsen or Jay McClement in his place and you've probably got the same production at a fraction of the price. I didn't like the deal when I first saw it, and I still don't. There's no reason to spend more than 3M on a 3C unless you're in a position like the Pens or Bruins where you have a bunch of talented centers. As for Ward... why the **** do you give a 3x4 contract to a player who's never topped 35 points? Yeah, intangibles, grinding, etc, but you can find those things without a 12M contract. I expected him not to live up to that contract, and he hasn't.

Old
01-07-2012, 08:48 PM
artilector

Hey Randi!

Thanks guys, interesting to read your opinions. I guess if Wideman is not really expected to return, it makes some sense to try to keep Schultz around (unless he doesn't play at all, becomes disgruntled and forces their hand a little bit). Suter sounds nice, but a bit scary to think what kind of money GMGM would throw at him.. Still, overall it looks to me like i the offseason there will be plenty of cap space to maneuver with, decent trading chips.. should be fine, I guess.

As for this year, too bad Semin, Green.. and Ovi have all been iffy.. hard to imagine the Caps really contending without these guys on top of their game.. hopefully they can get it sorted out.. and at least not commit to anything long term with Semin/Green at anything like their current salaries.. give their money to Chimera

Old
01-07-2012, 08:59 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post

Brouwer has been pretty much what I expected, and the hitting is much appreciated. Laich has played well defensively, but with that contract, he should be producing more offense. Put someone like Frans Nielsen or Jay McClement in his place and you've probably got the same production at a fraction of the price. I didn't like the deal when I first saw it, and I still don't. There's no reason to spend more than 3M on a 3C unless you're in a position like the Pens or Bruins where you have a bunch of talented centers. As for Ward... why the **** do you give a 3x4 contract to a player who's never topped 35 points? Yeah, intangibles, grinding, etc, but you can find those things without a 12M contract. I expected him not to live up to that contract, and he hasn't.
Heh, this last part is exactly how I felt about Laich/Ward signings.. sigh. Although when playoffs roll around, I expect to be more concerned with Semin & Green.

Still, good post.. I just read some comments by Green earlier, where he seemed really down on his injury, so it sounded bad. I'm still quite wary of the Caps giving him a multi-year deal at the current salary or similar.. too many doubts about playoff performance and durability.

Btw, is there any expectation of how the salary cap will evolve?

Old
01-07-2012, 09:11 PM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
Hey Randi!

Thanks guys, interesting to read your opinions. I guess if Wideman is not really expected to return, it makes some sense to try to keep Schultz around (unless he doesn't play at all, becomes disgruntled and forces their hand a little bit). Suter sounds nice, but a bit scary to think what kind of money GMGM would throw at him.. Still, overall it looks to me like i the offseason there will be plenty of cap space to maneuver with, decent trading chips.. should be fine, I guess.

As for this year, too bad Semin, Green.. and Ovi have all been iffy.. hard to imagine the Caps really contending without these guys on top of their game.. hopefully they can get it sorted out.. and at least not commit to anything long term with Semin/Green at anything like their current salaries.. give their money to Chimera
Schultz's cap hit is way too big for his current role of 7th defenseman.

Now, Green's health is difficult to predict, but personally I doubt that he'll make a full recovery. I see us resigning him either way, but I doubt he'll be able to play 70 games a season ever again.

Wideman will be an UFA. He hasn't been in WAS long and there is no guarantee that we'll keep him even if we want him. My gut tells me he'll sign with the highest bidder.

Now, if Green stays, Wideman definitely leaves, with Carlson taking over his cap hit. Even if Green is traded, there is no guarantee that Wideman stays. He's at a point in his carrier where he'll be looking for the biggest contract.

Old
01-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Heh, this last part is exactly how I felt about Laich/Ward signings.. sigh. Although when playoffs roll around, I expect to be more concerned with Semin & Green.

Still, good post.. I just read some comments by Green earlier, where he seemed really down on his injury, so it sounded bad. I'm still quite wary of the Caps giving him a multi-year deal at the current salary or similar.. too many doubts about playoff performance and durability.

Btw, is there any expectation of how the salary cap will evolve?
With the new CBA coming up, it's almost impossible to tell. After seeing the NHLPA veto the new alignment, I'm really scared about the possibility of another lockout. Suffice it to say that if the owners get what they want, the cap will go down. There'd probably some grace period about contract buyouts (which makes me wonder if they'd consider buying out, then resigning Ovechkin. There'd probably be some rule against this, but basically he'd still get the money, plus the new contract, and only the new contract affecting the cap).

Old
01-07-2012, 09:28 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Hey Randi!

How does this sound?

FORWARDS
Alexander Ovechkin ($9.538m) / Nicklas Backstrom ($6.700m) / Troy Brouwer ($2.350m)
Evgeny Kuznetsov ($0.900m) / Marcus Johansson ($0.900m) / Alexander Semin ($4.500m)
Jason Chimera ($1.750m) / Brooks Laich ($4.500m) / Joel Ward ($3.000m)
Mathieu Perreault ($0.825m) / Jeff Halpern ($0.825m) / Matt Hendricks ($0.825m)
/ Jay Beagle ($0.700m)

DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($7.500m) / Mike Green ($5.500m)
Karl Alzner ($1.285m) / John Carlson ($4.000m)
John Erskine ($1.500m) / Dmitri Orlov ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS
Michal Neuvirth ($1.150m) / Braden Holtby ($0.637m)

CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $4,280,428

Erskine might not be the ideal 6D, but there's plenty of room to sign another one.

Old
01-07-2012, 09:42 PM
Blades of steel
log off.

What's up with the nose bleed camera

Old
01-07-2012, 10:20 PM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
How does this sound?

FORWARDS
Alexander Ovechkin ($9.538m) / Nicklas Backstrom ($6.700m) / Troy Brouwer ($2.350m)
Evgeny Kuznetsov ($0.900m) / Marcus Johansson ($0.900m) / Alexander Semin ($4.500m)
Jason Chimera ($1.750m) / Brooks Laich ($4.500m) / Joel Ward ($3.000m)
Mathieu Perreault ($0.825m) / Jeff Halpern ($0.825m) / Matt Hendricks ($0.825m)
/ Jay Beagle ($0.700m)

DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($7.500m) / Mike Green ($5.500m)
Karl Alzner ($1.285m) / John Carlson ($4.000m)
John Erskine ($1.500m) / Dmitri Orlov ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS
Michal Neuvirth ($1.150m) / Braden Holtby ($0.637m)

CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $4,280,428

Erskine might not be the ideal 6D, but there's plenty of room to sign another one.
That's an overpayment.

Old
01-07-2012, 10:24 PM
txpd

semin at $4.5m? i doubt that very seriously. thats approaching a 50% paycut. try again

Old
01-07-2012, 10:26 PM
Jedgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
That's an overpayment.
Well Semin at 4.5 is an underpayment and probably won't happen unless it's long term.

Old
01-07-2012, 10:28 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
semin at $4.5m? i doubt that very seriously. thats approaching a 50% paycut. try again
You really think he'll demand more than that? What team would give him more than 5 if we let him test the market?

If he won't take it, we could always dip into free agency for someone to take his place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
That's an overpayment.
I erred on the high end to show that even if he ends up being that expensive, we can afford it.

Old
01-07-2012, 10:31 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
You really think he'll demand more than that? What team would give him more than 5 if we let him test the market?
KHL? Accounting for taxes at least.

Old
01-07-2012, 10:33 PM
hb11xchamps

What do u guys think about the Holtby post? I think its total B.S. but interesting at the same time

Old
01-07-2012, 10:45 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
It wouldn't surprise me if someone heard Holtby complaining about being in Hershey after how well he did in the NHL last year. The rest seems like its been interneticized - too whacky.

Not specific to this but sometimes when one hears something uber random, it can make you think twice.

I have wanted to see him get a game all year. Its not like either G here have done dick on a better team than Hershey. He finished last year 9-1 here.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 01-07-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old
01-07-2012, 10:53 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
KHL? Accounting for taxes at least.
Hm, hadn't thought about that. Still, if you take him out of that mock, there's still nearly 9M to spend on a 2L/RW and a 6D. Hell, we could sign Suter and Parise if we really wan't to. Taking Semin, Wideman, Hamrlik, Poti, and Schultz off the roster saves a huge amount of cash.

Old
01-07-2012, 11:04 PM
artilector

With Semin.. yeah, I think as long as he's willing to take a short contract, there will always be a team willing to give him something around 6m.. simply because the potential is always there, and the short term makes the risk tolerable.. after all, there are always rebuilding teams that don't have any real hopes in a given season, but have tons of cap space..

And if his poor season continues, I imagine his agent will be pressing him to sign another short term deal, because a poor season will do a lot more damage to his long term value than to his short term value, I think..

If Semin somehow is interested in a long term deal then 5.5 seems "fair" to me.. doubt that a team would feel comfortable giving him any more at this point, and doubt that he would want to pay for less (which again points to him looking for another short term contract.. or KHL, who knows).

I'm guessing unless the Caps decide to finally part ways (which perhaps they'll only do if they see a trade for another elite forward to replace his potential/contributions), then they'll give him another 1 year deal for 6m or so.

But I dunno, I'm not really optimistic about Semin any more.. the Caps now have decent centers, he should be producing more with his eyes closed.. and as I think his playoffs performance is generally unlikely to exceed his regular season performance... (ok, this year might be an exception considering the crappiness of his regular season). So overall I feel the same about him as I do about Green.. dangerous to commit to in any long term way unless he magically agrees to a much lower salary; and if there's a chance to swap for more consistent quality players, it would be the right thing to do.

Though I'd feel better about Semin leaving once we know that Kuz is coming over for sure.. marriage, captain of Team Russia, some statements.. wonder if his dream of testing himself in the NHL might be losing its grip on him. If a Russian team offers him a significant deal, I can easily seeing him staying. Less then top quality competition? Yeah, but there'll always be international competition, and who knows, perhaps that's enough for him. So, I don't know, it would be a big relief for him to announce that yes, he's signed a contract with the Caps and is coming over.

Last edited by artilector: 01-07-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old
01-08-2012, 05:26 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Man the NHL CBA scares me with Kuznetsov.

He's married aka hes got a woman thats going to try to anchor him in Russia.

On top of that he probably has to take a pay cut that will pay him less in 3 years then he gets in 1 year with the KHL.

Old
01-08-2012, 05:29 PM
txpd

or he's married and has a wife that wants a south beach home like many russian pro athletes have.

Old
01-08-2012, 07:19 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

please don't make the mistake of re-signing Semin again george.

Old
01-08-2012, 07:21 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if someone heard Holtby complaining about being in Hershey after how well he did in the NHL last year. The rest seems like its been interneticized - too whacky.

Not specific to this but sometimes when one hears something uber random, it can make you think twice.

I have wanted to see him get a game all year. Its not like either G here have done dick on a better team than Hershey. He finished last year 9-1 here.
Same here, I rarely agree with Keith Jones, but I did last year. I was hoping to roll in the playoffs last year with Holtby and I thought he should have been here. I could care less about training camp. Wouldn't surprise me if Holtby did run his mouth complaining. Big whoop about Hershey play this year too. The kid showed a ton of confidence last year with the Caps and showed up for some big games.

Old
01-08-2012, 07:35 PM
Fitlanbox

I see no reason to bring Holtby up if you don't want 3 goalies on the roster. Neuvirth/Vokoun would obviously not clear waivers. You don't just give up on Vokoun, and its not like Neuvirth is bad. If things go south again, maybe its worth it, but I'd rather have the forward depth than goalie depth. Neuvy and Vokoun are NHL caliber, and even if Holtby looked great last year, it was a small sample size and he isn't even close to proven.

Old
01-08-2012, 07:43 PM
Blades of steel
log off.

Nothing confirmed, but rumored gmgm is at the Honda center tonight..

Capitals GM George McPhee in the house at Honda. Hmmm. OK, Caps just played SJ and got LA tomorrow. #fireupthetradespeculation

tweeted by Eric Stephens a Anaheim ducks beat writer

Last edited by Blades of steel: 01-08-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old
01-08-2012, 08:03 PM
txpd

mcphee being on the road with the team is not some sign of activity.

Closed Thread