HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2011 Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part 4

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-17-2012, 09:29 AM
  #751
G3 LesPaul
Registered User
 
G3 LesPaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,658
vCash: 500
With Green in his condition, this gives us even more incentive to resign Wideman. Wideman will be cheaper and is actually better than Green and isn't glass. It all works out.

G3 LesPaul is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 09:31 AM
  #752
Hale Dunter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: DC
Country: United States
Posts: 703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
If you've got Suter, Green, Carlson, and Orlov (which I guess was the scenario being discussed) do you really have Wideman coming back as well? Even if Green is of questionable health?
Misunderstood. He was pretty declarative that Wideman is out...either way.

Suter is a pie in the sky but yes then Wideman I suppose would be expendable.

Hale Dunter is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 09:38 AM
  #753
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,663
vCash: 500
Wideman will be resigned.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 09:41 AM
  #754
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I have generally always lumped PMD's and mobility into the same category. If there is a clear cut difference, who are the leagues top puck movers that are slow. I presume Sarge would be our candidate. A decent puck mover, but I am not sure many ever referred to him as a PMD.
I'm assuming Hamrlik is put in that category, or had been during his career. I don't know how it shakes out around the league though, and I think you're probably right. If you're a PMD, or at least a guy that isn't know for defense, you need to be able to skate to make it far.

But to me at its core, PMD = passing, not skating. Wideman is a PMD because he can pass; he's not good at skating with the puck even though he's mobile. The fact that he can skate is part of what makes him successful at the NHL level though because it helps him cover up his defensive deficiencies.

That's also part of what makes Green so unique, I guess. His offense is generated by his skating. I guess Orlov is showing glimpses of that (at a lower level of execution naturally).

brs03 is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 09:50 AM
  #755
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,365
vCash: 50
New internet acronym alert. MPMD - Mobile PMD. DPMD - defensive PMD.

Heh yeah you are right brs03, its Hammer as our top slow PMD. I don't know if it was injuries holding him back to start the year as some theorize, but he seems far more mobile of late. Its not all those pluses making him look faster, either.

Green does have a unique skill set. He is a mobile puck handling puck moving offensive defensemen. MPHPMOD. The O is long forced upon the player by that time.

RandyHolt is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 10:06 AM
  #756
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!
 
BiPolar Caps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
With Green in his condition, this gives us even more incentive to resign Wideman. Wideman will be cheaper and is actually better than Green and isn't glass. It all works out.
Wideman is not better than Green. He's just more durable.

Wideman currently earns 3.9. I don't see him looking at giving a home town discount, thus his salary next year could very well be approaching 5. I'd say no thanks.

BiPolar Caps is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 10:12 AM
  #757
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
With Green in his condition, this gives us even more incentive to resign Wideman. Wideman will be cheaper and is actually better than Green and isn't glass. It all works out.

Liberati0n* is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 10:21 AM
  #758
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,365
vCash: 50
As painful or difficult as it may be, durability is a factor in grading players. Of course Wideman's season was finnished in March so we can't count our chickens on him being more durable just yet. In his previous years of durability, I suspect he wasn't targeted as much as Green. The formula to beating us in a playoff series started with taking out Green.

Rest assured if we were in the playoffs today, Rupp will be given directives to get into the face of one Dennis Wideman.

RandyHolt is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 10:27 AM
  #759
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!
 
BiPolar Caps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
As painful or difficult as it may be, durability is a factor in grading players. Of course Wideman's season was finnished in March so we can't count our chickens on him being more durable just yet. In his previous years of durability, I suspect he wasn't targeted as much as Green. The formula to beating us in a playoff series started with taking out Green.

Rest assured if we were in the playoffs today, Rupp will be given directives to get into the face of one Dennis Wideman.
With Green out that formula shifted to Backstrom. You target who the puck goes through and not necessarily who last touches the puck. Playmakers and those who can consistently carry the puck across the opponents blue line are the targets.

BiPolar Caps is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 10:34 AM
  #760
swimmer77
What's an ROW?
 
swimmer77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: in water
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,385
vCash: 500
Wideman to me is rapidly entering James Wisniewski territory. Oddly enough Hamrlik was Wiz's D partner last year and was able to hide some of those defensive deficiencies. He did the same for Phaneuf. Keep Wideman away from Hamrlik to keep the numbers down. LOL

j/k .......... kinda

swimmer77 is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 10:35 AM
  #761
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,365
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
With Green out that formula shifted to Backstrom. You target who the puck goes through and not necessarily who last touches the puck. Playmakers and those who can consistently carry the puck across the opponents blue line are the targets.
To me, absent Green and maybe even with him, the target is on Ovi. Teams tried to derail him by getting to Green first. Then conceding the stretch pass to Ovi was going to happen many times, they have largely triple teamed him for a year now. Teams this year may very well have targeted Nick (I would) but only because he now gets his share of chances to carry the puck over.

In my mind, our offense over the past 4 years, in its most simple form, was Green moving the puck out to Ovi, who would drive and shoot at max force.

RandyHolt is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 10:42 AM
  #762
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!
 
BiPolar Caps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
To me, absent Green and maybe even with him, the target is on Ovi. Teams tried to derail him by getting to Green first. Then conceding the stretch pass to Ovi was going to happen many times, they have largely triple teamed him for a year now. Teams this year may very well have targeted Nick (I would) but only because he now gets his share of chances to carry the puck over.

In my mind, our offense over the past 4 years, in its most simple form, was Green moving the puck out to Ovi, who would drive and shoot at max force.
But but that can't be, as 163 fellow NHL players have rated him 2nd on the most overrated list.

BiPolar Caps is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 10:42 AM
  #763
G3 LesPaul
Registered User
 
G3 LesPaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Wideman is not better than Green. He's just more durable.

Wideman currently earns 3.9. I don't see him looking at giving a home town discount, thus his salary next year could very well be approaching 5. I'd say no thanks.
I honestly believe wideman is better than Green.

G3 LesPaul is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 10:47 AM
  #764
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,365
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
But but that can't be, as 163 fellow NHL players have rated him 2nd on the most overrated list.
That was funny. Ask me before the season started, I state point blank that I think Sarge is more overrated than Ovi. And maybe still is.

Looking back at Green's drop in production, maybe teams derailed Green by targeting Ovi. They realized Green wasn't doing the Orr dance and driving the net and scoring - singlehandedly killing us. Green was NOT the proverbial 4th forward last year. Not at all.

So teams changed course, and derailed Ovi which then tanked Green's numbers. This year, as our MVP, teams indeed have started to pay attention to Nick. Who knows, maybe the Flames were told to get shots in on Nick at every opp.

RandyHolt is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 10:52 AM
  #765
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 40,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
I honestly believe wideman is better than Green.
which is more a reflection of your dislike of green's play than an appreciation of wideman's. would that be correct?

txpd is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 10:56 AM
  #766
G3 LesPaul
Registered User
 
G3 LesPaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
which is more a reflection of your dislike of green's play than an appreciation of wideman's. would that be correct?
Kinda. I have watched Green since he came here and never, NEVER liked his play in the D-Zone. I do love his offense no doubt.

Ever since Wideman came here last year, I loved both his D and O zone presence


Last edited by G3 LesPaul: 01-17-2012 at 11:01 AM.
G3 LesPaul is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 11:04 AM
  #767
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
I honestly believe wideman is better than Green.
Did Green bang your girlfriend?

Green is a better player in every single aspect of the game. Except Wideman has a better slapshot.

Liberati0n* is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 11:10 AM
  #768
G3 LesPaul
Registered User
 
G3 LesPaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Did Green bang your girlfriend?

Green is a better player in every single aspect of the game. Except Wideman has a better slapshot.


I agree that Green's offense is way better than Wideman but Wideman plays much better to my liking in the D-zone than Green. Green has frustrated me tons of times with his play. Wideman hasn't really done that to me.

When I go to games and say "god ***** Green" on multiple occasions for multiple games for multiple years, I say something is wrong

G3 LesPaul is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 11:27 AM
  #769
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post


I agree that Green's offense is way better than Wideman but Wideman plays much better to my liking in the D-zone than Green. Green has frustrated me tons of times with his play. Wideman hasn't really done that to me.

When I go to games and say "god ***** Green" on multiple occasions for multiple games for multiple years, I say something is wrong
Certain aspects of Wideman's decision-making are better than Green's, but overall Green is a better defensive player. Green definitely makes some frustrating mental mistakes. Wideman makes a lot of frustrating mistakes too.

Liberati0n* is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 12:04 PM
  #770
JawandaPuck
Moderator
Lost Art of Dynasty
 
JawandaPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Vancouver will also have 4 defensemen at over a $4 million cap hit, if they re-sign Edler. Not sure they'll be able to even enter the Weber sweepstakes.
Don't you worry. The one that sticks out like a sore thumb will be gone soon enough. There will be plenty of room for Weber when the time comes.

BTW, Gordo with a two goal night last night. Had the most shots on net of any PHX frwd I believe.

__________________
Follow JawandaPuck on Twitter and Blogspot - all revenue from Google Ads is donated to the Canucks for Kids Fund (CFKF) in support of the Canucks Autism Network (CAN).
JawandaPuck is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 12:13 PM
  #771
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!
 
BiPolar Caps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Don't you worry. The one that sticks out like a sore thumb will be gone soon enough. There will be plenty of room for Weber when the time comes.BTW, Gordo with a two goal night last night. Had the most shots on net of any PHX frwd I believe.
Okay, what am I missing. Salo is an upcoming free agent at 2 million and you don't have any other significant FAs as far as salary goes. Where or who creates the cap room for the Canucks.

BiPolar Caps is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 12:16 PM
  #772
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,757
vCash: 500
Boyd Gordon, 2nd line center: on pace for around 10 goals and 30 points.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 12:22 PM
  #773
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!
 
BiPolar Caps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,751
vCash: 500
Main boards, thread on Jeff Schultz's value to the Bruins. Did like one of the suggestions, Schultz to Montreal for Hal Gil. Gil's currently a bit cheaper but even better he's a UFA after the season and let's face it a bit of a pain when we played against him in the playoffs when with both the Penguins and the Canadiens. Go ahead cue Ovie's hit on him.

BiPolar Caps is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 12:24 PM
  #774
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Main boards, thread on Jeff Schultz's value to the Bruins. Did like one of the suggestions, Schultz to Montreal for Hal Gil. Gil's currently a bit cheaper but even better he's a UFA after the season and let's face it a bit of a pain when we played against him in the playoffs when with both the Penguins and the Canadiens. Go ahead cue Ovie's hit on him.
Myth.

Scuderi carried him when he was on the Pens. He was repeatedly abused.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 12:26 PM
  #775
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Boyd Gordon, 2nd line center: on pace for around 10 goals and 30 points.
Boyd Gordon at his ideal spot as a defensive third line center: undersized and injury prone.

I liked him more than Steckel, but to actually be upset that he's gone...****ing ponderous.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.