HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2011 Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part 4

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2012, 09:29 AM
G3 LesPaul

vCash: 500
With Green in his condition, this gives us even more incentive to resign Wideman. Wideman will be cheaper and is actually better than Green and isn't glass. It all works out.

Old
01-17-2012, 09:31 AM
Hale Dunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
If you've got Suter, Green, Carlson, and Orlov (which I guess was the scenario being discussed) do you really have Wideman coming back as well? Even if Green is of questionable health?
Misunderstood. He was pretty declarative that Wideman is out...either way.

Suter is a pie in the sky but yes then Wideman I suppose would be expendable.

Old
01-17-2012, 09:38 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Wideman will be resigned.

Old
01-17-2012, 09:41 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I have generally always lumped PMD's and mobility into the same category. If there is a clear cut difference, who are the leagues top puck movers that are slow. I presume Sarge would be our candidate. A decent puck mover, but I am not sure many ever referred to him as a PMD.
I'm assuming Hamrlik is put in that category, or had been during his career. I don't know how it shakes out around the league though, and I think you're probably right. If you're a PMD, or at least a guy that isn't know for defense, you need to be able to skate to make it far.

But to me at its core, PMD = passing, not skating. Wideman is a PMD because he can pass; he's not good at skating with the puck even though he's mobile. The fact that he can skate is part of what makes him successful at the NHL level though because it helps him cover up his defensive deficiencies.

That's also part of what makes Green so unique, I guess. His offense is generated by his skating. I guess Orlov is showing glimpses of that (at a lower level of execution naturally).

Old
01-17-2012, 09:50 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
New internet acronym alert. MPMD - Mobile PMD. DPMD - defensive PMD.

Heh yeah you are right brs03, its Hammer as our top slow PMD. I don't know if it was injuries holding him back to start the year as some theorize, but he seems far more mobile of late. Its not all those pluses making him look faster, either.

Green does have a unique skill set. He is a mobile puck handling puck moving offensive defensemen. MPHPMOD. The O is long forced upon the player by that time.

Old
01-17-2012, 10:06 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
With Green in his condition, this gives us even more incentive to resign Wideman. Wideman will be cheaper and is actually better than Green and isn't glass. It all works out.
Wideman is not better than Green. He's just more durable.

Wideman currently earns 3.9. I don't see him looking at giving a home town discount, thus his salary next year could very well be approaching 5. I'd say no thanks.

Old
01-17-2012, 10:12 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:

Old
01-17-2012, 10:21 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

As painful or difficult as it may be, durability is a factor in grading players. Of course Wideman's season was finnished in March so we can't count our chickens on him being more durable just yet. In his previous years of durability, I suspect he wasn't targeted as much as Green. The formula to beating us in a playoff series started with taking out Green.

Rest assured if we were in the playoffs today, Rupp will be given directives to get into the face of one Dennis Wideman.

Old
01-17-2012, 10:27 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
As painful or difficult as it may be, durability is a factor in grading players. Of course Wideman's season was finnished in March so we can't count our chickens on him being more durable just yet. In his previous years of durability, I suspect he wasn't targeted as much as Green. The formula to beating us in a playoff series started with taking out Green.

Rest assured if we were in the playoffs today, Rupp will be given directives to get into the face of one Dennis Wideman.
With Green out that formula shifted to Backstrom. You target who the puck goes through and not necessarily who last touches the puck. Playmakers and those who can consistently carry the puck across the opponents blue line are the targets.

Old
01-17-2012, 10:34 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Wideman to me is rapidly entering James Wisniewski territory. Oddly enough Hamrlik was Wiz's D partner last year and was able to hide some of those defensive deficiencies. He did the same for Phaneuf. Keep Wideman away from Hamrlik to keep the numbers down. LOL

j/k .......... kinda

Old
01-17-2012, 10:35 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
With Green out that formula shifted to Backstrom. You target who the puck goes through and not necessarily who last touches the puck. Playmakers and those who can consistently carry the puck across the opponents blue line are the targets.
To me, absent Green and maybe even with him, the target is on Ovi. Teams tried to derail him by getting to Green first. Then conceding the stretch pass to Ovi was going to happen many times, they have largely triple teamed him for a year now. Teams this year may very well have targeted Nick (I would) but only because he now gets his share of chances to carry the puck over.

In my mind, our offense over the past 4 years, in its most simple form, was Green moving the puck out to Ovi, who would drive and shoot at max force.

Old
01-17-2012, 10:42 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
To me, absent Green and maybe even with him, the target is on Ovi. Teams tried to derail him by getting to Green first. Then conceding the stretch pass to Ovi was going to happen many times, they have largely triple teamed him for a year now. Teams this year may very well have targeted Nick (I would) but only because he now gets his share of chances to carry the puck over.

In my mind, our offense over the past 4 years, in its most simple form, was Green moving the puck out to Ovi, who would drive and shoot at max force.
But but that can't be, as 163 fellow NHL players have rated him 2nd on the most overrated list.

Old
01-17-2012, 10:42 AM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
Wideman is not better than Green. He's just more durable.

Wideman currently earns 3.9. I don't see him looking at giving a home town discount, thus his salary next year could very well be approaching 5. I'd say no thanks.
I honestly believe wideman is better than Green.

Old
01-17-2012, 10:47 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
But but that can't be, as 163 fellow NHL players have rated him 2nd on the most overrated list.
That was funny. Ask me before the season started, I state point blank that I think Sarge is more overrated than Ovi. And maybe still is.

Looking back at Green's drop in production, maybe teams derailed Green by targeting Ovi. They realized Green wasn't doing the Orr dance and driving the net and scoring - singlehandedly killing us. Green was NOT the proverbial 4th forward last year. Not at all.

So teams changed course, and derailed Ovi which then tanked Green's numbers. This year, as our MVP, teams indeed have started to pay attention to Nick. Who knows, maybe the Flames were told to get shots in on Nick at every opp.

Old
01-17-2012, 10:52 AM
txpd

Quote:
which is more a reflection of your dislike of green's play than an appreciation of wideman's. would that be correct?

Old
01-17-2012, 10:56 AM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
which is more a reflection of your dislike of green's play than an appreciation of wideman's. would that be correct?
Kinda. I have watched Green since he came here and never, NEVER liked his play in the D-Zone. I do love his offense no doubt.

Ever since Wideman came here last year, I loved both his D and O zone presence

Last edited by G3 LesPaul: 01-17-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old
01-17-2012, 11:04 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Did Green bang your girlfriend?

Green is a better player in every single aspect of the game. Except Wideman has a better slapshot.

Old
01-17-2012, 11:10 AM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Did Green bang your girlfriend?

Green is a better player in every single aspect of the game. Except Wideman has a better slapshot.

I agree that Green's offense is way better than Wideman but Wideman plays much better to my liking in the D-zone than Green. Green has frustrated me tons of times with his play. Wideman hasn't really done that to me.

When I go to games and say "god ***** Green" on multiple occasions for multiple games for multiple years, I say something is wrong

Old
01-17-2012, 11:27 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:

I agree that Green's offense is way better than Wideman but Wideman plays much better to my liking in the D-zone than Green. Green has frustrated me tons of times with his play. Wideman hasn't really done that to me.

When I go to games and say "god ***** Green" on multiple occasions for multiple games for multiple years, I say something is wrong
Certain aspects of Wideman's decision-making are better than Green's, but overall Green is a better defensive player. Green definitely makes some frustrating mental mistakes. Wideman makes a lot of frustrating mistakes too.

Old
01-17-2012, 12:04 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Vancouver will also have 4 defensemen at over a $4 million cap hit, if they re-sign Edler. Not sure they'll be able to even enter the Weber sweepstakes.
Don't you worry. The one that sticks out like a sore thumb will be gone soon enough. There will be plenty of room for Weber when the time comes.

BTW, Gordo with a two goal night last night. Had the most shots on net of any PHX frwd I believe.

01-17-2012, 12:13 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Don't you worry. The one that sticks out like a sore thumb will be gone soon enough. There will be plenty of room for Weber when the time comes.BTW, Gordo with a two goal night last night. Had the most shots on net of any PHX frwd I believe.
Okay, what am I missing. Salo is an upcoming free agent at 2 million and you don't have any other significant FAs as far as salary goes. Where or who creates the cap room for the Canucks.

Old
01-17-2012, 12:16 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Boyd Gordon, 2nd line center: on pace for around 10 goals and 30 points.

Old
01-17-2012, 12:22 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Main boards, thread on Jeff Schultz's value to the Bruins. Did like one of the suggestions, Schultz to Montreal for Hal Gil. Gil's currently a bit cheaper but even better he's a UFA after the season and let's face it a bit of a pain when we played against him in the playoffs when with both the Penguins and the Canadiens. Go ahead cue Ovie's hit on him.

Old
01-17-2012, 12:24 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Main boards, thread on Jeff Schultz's value to the Bruins. Did like one of the suggestions, Schultz to Montreal for Hal Gil. Gil's currently a bit cheaper but even better he's a UFA after the season and let's face it a bit of a pain when we played against him in the playoffs when with both the Penguins and the Canadiens. Go ahead cue Ovie's hit on him.
Myth.

Scuderi carried him when he was on the Pens. He was repeatedly abused.

Old
01-17-2012, 12:26 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Boyd Gordon, 2nd line center: on pace for around 10 goals and 30 points.
Boyd Gordon at his ideal spot as a defensive third line center: undersized and injury prone.

I liked him more than Steckel, but to actually be upset that he's gone...****ing ponderous.

Closed Thread