HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2011 Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part 4

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2012, 11:58 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

vCash: 500

Old
01-18-2012, 12:26 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Come on....Wideman's numbers are inflated? It's a shame how little respect this guy gets from some Caps fans. I would like to see him resigned myself.

Old
01-18-2012, 02:00 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

And have who leave? Green?

Green's value is at an all-time low. He's not going to command a worthy return on the trade market, nor would he get an offer sheet that would give us a top tier return. The rest of the season and this off-season is a bad time to move Green.

Most here would agree Carlson is staying put.

So that puts it between Wideman and Orlov. One is staying, one is leaving. I still wouldn't rule out the idea of an Orlov trade if we get the right return. But that would have to be one hell of a trade that really filled our needs.

Old
01-18-2012, 05:23 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
So that puts it between Wideman and Orlov. One is staying, one is leaving. I still wouldn't rule out the idea of an Orlov trade if we get the right return. But that would have to be one hell of a trade that really filled our needs.
Orlov's contract is very cap-friendly for any СBA I suppose. His potential is high and there is nothing wrong with his learning process (as far as we can see). His trade value is lower than his value for us IMHO. He can play both L and R side.

Orlov's upside could be higher than Carlson's maybe so why risk to decide his destiny now?

I bet he is staying.

PS: Orlov knows Kuznetsov very well. Another bonus in getting Kuz from KHL.

Old
01-18-2012, 06:04 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Re-sign Wideman and have Orlov play the left. Simple, in my view.

If you can ditch Schultz and Hamrlik, and sign Suter (or another LD):

Suter-Green
Alzner-Carlson
Orlov-Wideman
Erskine

Old
01-18-2012, 07:25 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
The optics on the trade aren't 'response to one game'. The optics on the trade for me are 'response to being dominated in every game of the easiest 3-game stretch any NHL team will face this season'.
I agree with that, but then you can't say it's sending a message about the Isles game specifically (which is a good thing; they have more than enough poor play to draw on to justify a move). I just hate the idea of one game making or breaking any major decision.

Old
01-18-2012, 07:46 AM
Roughing

Quote:

Suter-Green
Alzner-Carlson
Orlov-Wideman
Erskine
Like that. Leave any money to add scoring? This group of Fs, even with Kuz, isn't lighting the lamp enough...

Old
01-18-2012, 08:02 AM
Stewie G

Quote:

Suter-Green
Alzner-Carlson
Orlov-Wideman
Erskine
Wideman will be making lots of money to be 3rd pairing. Carlson having a bit of a dumpy season will probably help keep his cap hit down so that will make things a little more manageable, but even if Wideman doesn't get a raise, that is $4M for a guy to play on the bottom pair. They should be able to pick up someone for less than that and then spend that extra money up front.

Old
01-18-2012, 08:08 AM
G3 LesPaul

One thing I think that is generally agreed on, is we need players that fit Hunters system. The reason why BB had so much success is he was offensive and we had players for that type of system.

Now we switched it and its not working. These players aren't made for this system. We need players hunter wants. GMGM needs to help him.

Old
01-18-2012, 08:11 AM
hyzer23

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
One thing I think that is generally agreed on, is we need players that fit Hunters system. The reason why BB had so much success is he was offensive and we had players for that type of system.

Now we switched it and its not working. These players aren't made for this system. We need players hunter wants. GMGM needs to help him.
who are you suggesting stay or go?

Old
01-18-2012, 08:35 AM
txpd

one of the funny things is all the dump wideman talk while wideman is one of hunter's boys

Old
01-18-2012, 08:54 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
one of the funny things is all the dump wideman talk while wideman is one of hunter's boys
Why is that funny? Wasn't Flash a Boudreau boy and wasn't he traded? Ditto Steckel?

Old
01-18-2012, 08:56 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Why is that funny? Wasn't Flash a Boudreau boy and wasn't he traded? Ditto Steckel?
It's funny in the context of trying to bring in guys Hunter is familiar with (would never have been discussed during BB's tenure, other than when Cammalleri was UFA, since almost all his experience was already in our system).

Old
01-18-2012, 09:24 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

I think we will either see some good things tonight against Montreal or see some trades after it. Awaiting self-speaking performance.

Old
01-18-2012, 09:26 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

If we hold our pace and finish 8-10, can McPhee keep his job?

Last edited by BrooklynCapsFan: 01-18-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old
01-18-2012, 09:27 AM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyzer23 View Post
who are you suggesting stay or go?
Well I can't say what hunter wants, cause I have no clue

But as for what I would like

I would like to see Knuble, Sarge, Green, Hammer (as much as he has improved) gone ASAP. Ward has been playing like crap but lets see if he can pick it up. Replace Beagle with someone (I like him but can be improved)

Ive noticed a common theme at games. We never, clear anyone out of the crease or hit anyone behind or near our net. They just walk in untouched (like the 1st goal yesterday). Carlson and Alzner are little sissies when it comes to physical contact and it frustrates me. Hammer doesn't touch anyone.

So we need to get big and physical on D. I know a lot of people don't agree with this but for me, I would like Sutton or Gill. Somehow make an offer for Suter and finally get our number one D-man.

Pick up avery on re-entry (Chew me out) and have him play on the 4th line.

Ovi-Backs-Semin
Brow-Mojo-Laich
Chim-Halp-Ward/Avery
Hendricks-MP85-Avery/Beagle (Maybe trade for a physical player)

Suter-Wideman
Carlson-Alzner
Gill/Sutton-Orlov

I am

But that is what I would want. I am not a coach though

Old
01-18-2012, 09:27 AM
txpd

some trades?

Old
01-18-2012, 09:29 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

What is the fascination with Gill? He makes the defense worse. Ditto Sutton.

Old
01-18-2012, 09:30 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

And about idea to trade OV: if we are getting in Playoffs he will shine as usual (probably). Why trade him if he's helping the team in post-season? I think he can buy some more time here for himself.

So other problems should be solved before considering that.

I think GMGM should trade high picks for adequate centerman with some years left on the contract. In that case we will have MJ and Kuz playing at wings next year and some center depth via them in the same time.

Old
01-18-2012, 10:11 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:

Suter-Green
Alzner-Carlson
Orlov-Wideman
Erskine
Agree with moving Schultz and Hamrlik which would translate into around 6.25 million becoming available. Just don't know if that would be enough to sign a Ryan Suter along with resigning Wideman at say 4.5 (which I would imagine is what he might be looking for). Additionally, still haven't addressed the need for a physical type d-man that could play JJ's system. Need some ornery back there, someone who hits like Orpik. Won't help for a few years perhaps, but the defenseman depth in the 2012 draft is a rare phenomena that the Caps have to take advantage of.

Don't get me started on some of the bad contracts GMGM saddled the team with these past 12 months that are not producing, i.e. Joel Ward and even Brooks Laich.

Old
01-18-2012, 10:21 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Agree with moving Schultz and Hamrlik which would translate into around 6.25 million becoming available. Just don't know if that would be enough to sign a Ryan Suter along with resigning Wideman at say 4.5 (which I would imagine is what he might be looking for). Additionally, still haven't addressed the need for a physical type d-man that could play JJ's system. Need some ornery back there, someone who hits like Orpik. Won't help for a few years perhaps, but the defenseman depth in the 2012 draft is a rare phenomena that the Caps have to take advantage of.

Don't get me started on some of the bad contracts GMGM saddled the team with these past 12 months that are not producing, i.e. Joel Ward and even Brooks Laich.
I disagree about Laich and Ward, but there is $16 million in completely dead weight on this payroll that could have easily been anticipated: Semin, Poti, Hamrlik, and Schultz.

Old
01-18-2012, 10:30 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
Well I can't say what hunter wants, cause I have no clue

But as for what I would like

I would like to see Knuble, Sarge, Green, Hammer (as much as he has improved) gone ASAP. Ward has been playing like crap but lets see if he can pick it up. Replace Beagle with someone (I like him but can be improved)

Ive noticed a common theme at games. We never, clear anyone out of the crease or hit anyone behind or near our net. They just walk in untouched (like the 1st goal yesterday). Carlson and Alzner are little sissies when it comes to physical contact and it frustrates me. Hammer doesn't touch anyone.

So we need to get big and physical on D. I know a lot of people don't agree with this but for me, I would like Sutton or Gill. Somehow make an offer for Suter and finally get our number one D-man.

Pick up avery on re-entry (Chew me out) and have him play on the 4th line.

Ovi-Backs-Semin
Brow-Mojo-Laich
Chim-Halp-Ward/Avery
Hendricks-MP85-Avery/Beagle (Maybe trade for a physical player)

Suter-Wideman
Carlson-Alzner
Gill/Sutton-Orlov

I am

But that is what I would want. I am not a coach though
Gill is overrated. He's good on the PK but sometimes he can't clear the puck to save his life. His best attributes are his size and reach. That's what he does on the PK - gets in the way by standing still or laying down. The only reason you acquire him is if your penalty kill is atrocious.

If you have an injury to a top four D he is absolutely useless. With Markov out the Habs always had Hamrlik to step up. This year they don't and look where they are and that's with Gorges back and Subban more experienced. Gill cannot necessarily "babysit" a younger d-man because that d-man should be able to compensate for Gill's lack of speed and hockey sense.

If the Caps acquire Gill I will scream. I scream that he's still a Hab. I don't see the current D being as much of an issue as I do the forwards. They can't get anything started in the offensive zone so it seems. Reminds me of basketball - they maybe shoot before the clock expires and then it's once and done. I think they have good PMD's but the forwards seem to lose a lot their board battles. Maybe it's just me - IDK.

I saw to many players trying to be fancy last night and Matt Hendrick's post game comments supported that. The forwards need to step up IMO although Carlson could so a little more too from the backend.

Old
01-18-2012, 10:36 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I disagree about Laich and Ward, but there is $16 million in completely dead weight on this payroll that could have easily been anticipated: Semin, Poti, Hamrlik, and Schultz.
You couldn't have anticipated the nature of Poti's injury. I do think a healthy Tom Poti could have adjusted or adapted to JJ's system.

At this point in the season you can't be satisfied with Joel Ward's performance and what he's getting paid and the length of his contract is not helping either.

Old
01-18-2012, 10:42 AM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Gill is overrated. He's good on the PK but sometimes he can't clear the puck to save his life. His best attributes are his size and reach. That's what he does on the PK - gets in the way by standing still or laying down. The only reason you acquire him is if your penalty kill is atrocious.

If you have an injury to a top four D he is absolutely useless. With Markov out the Habs always had Hamrlik to step up. This year they don't and look where they are and that's with Gorges back and Subban more experienced. Gill cannot necessarily "babysit" a younger d-man because that d-man should be able to compensate for Gill's lack of speed and hockey sense.

If the Caps acquire Gill I will scream. I scream that he's still a Hab. I don't see the current D being as much of an issue as I do the forwards. They can't get anything started in the offensive zone so it seems. Reminds me of basketball - they maybe shoot before the clock expires and then it's once and done. I think they have good PMD's but the forwards seem to lose a lot their board battles. Maybe it's just me - IDK.

I saw to many players trying to be fancy last night and Matt Hendrick's post game comments supported that. The forwards need to step up IMO although Carlson could so a little more too from the backend.
The fact that they can't get anything started in the offensive zone is partly due to Hunter's system

Old
01-18-2012, 10:51 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Schultz is overrated... His best attributes are his size and reach. That's what he does on the PK - gets in the way by standing still or laying down.
Can't pay a healthy guy 2.75M to sit in the press box. He's got to go before next season.

Assuming Green comes back, the D should look like:
Alzner-Carlson
Hamrlik-Green
Orlov-Wideman
Kundratek
Erskine
Schultz

Assuming Backstrom comes back, the F should look like:
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Semin
Johansson-Laich-Brouwer
Chimera-Halpern-Ward
Hendricks-Eakin/Perreault/Beagle-Knuble
2 of Eakin/Perreault/Beagle

I'd move Schultz, Knuble (salary), and one of Eakin/Perreault/Beagle for a good C. At this point, I don't care about "winning" track record - Caps just need someone who is good enough to play that position. Laich isn't it, and I'm not into depending on Johansson, Kuznetsov or Eakin to be strong enough to play 2C.

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Semin
Johansson-Acquired C-Brouwer
Chimera-Laich-Ward
Hendricks-Halpern-whoever wasn't traded
whoever wasn't traded

Pick up a depth forward for a late pick or bring one up from Hershey.
Ship Erskine out for a depth skating D if he's not going to play (Campoli/Gragnani).

Alzner-Carlson
Hamrlik-Green
Orlov-Wideman
Kundratek
Campoli/Gragnani

Closed Thread