HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2011 Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part 4

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2012, 10:51 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
The fact that they can't get anything started in the offensive zone is partly due to Hunter's system
I agree to an extent but I see board battles lost and errant passes and attempts at being too fancy. Matt Hendricks alluded to the last item and I thought I heard Knuble say they need to get it going offensively to take some of the heat off of D.

It just seems that once they get a shot on goal they can start a lot "scrambliness" on the part of the opposition because of the Caps skill level. I was surprised when I saw the SOG + Shots Blocked + Attempts Blocked total was very comparable to NYI's.

Old
01-18-2012, 11:02 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I disagree about Laich and Ward, but there is $16 million in completely dead weight on this payroll that could have easily been anticipated: Semin, Poti, Hamrlik, and Schultz.
What does Laich do at a $4.5M cap hit that can't be replaced by someone making quite a bit less? If you put any weight into advanced statistics, they show he is only slightly above average at PKing, he's down to about 50% in faceoffs, his ES numbers are pretty bad and trending down, and he hasn't shown the ability to center a scoring line. Brouwer makes half as much, is pretty much just as effective on both the PP and PK and has more than twice as many hits. To his credit, Brooks' playoff numbers are pretty decent, but to me he's never really stood out in the postseason. None of that screams $4.5M to me.

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to see him traded. I'm sure he holds pretty good value around the league, but the further we get from the high-scoring days that inflated his numbers, the lower it goes. If you can find a taker for him and Schultz ($7.25M), there's the room you need for Suter.

Old
01-18-2012, 11:12 AM
txpd

Quote:
If we hold our pace and finish 8-10, can McPhee keep his job?
no and yes. fill in the details. 8th is different than 9th. 8th with a series win is a lot different. 8th in the ecf is completely different.

9th where backstrom and green are out the rest of the season and 9th with backstrom back at the allstar break and hitting on all cylinders are two different things.

Old
01-18-2012, 11:32 AM
Capitlols

I'm at a loss for why Schultz is on this team. He won't have played for 9 games now, he's clearly not in the future plans for this team, and his salary could best be used for an upgrade elsewhere.

Old
01-18-2012, 12:10 PM
hb11xchamps

Do you guys really think Suter will be on this team next year? I doubt it. He will be the best blueliner on the market this offseason and will demand a lot of money for it. We need secondary scoring not another overpaid player. I'm not hating on Suter because he is a good player but there has to be other players out there that would cost less

Old
01-18-2012, 12:13 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

It would definitely be a new direction, big break from the team's past inclinations.

IMO the only way it gets serious traction is if it's not GMGM making the decision (and I don't know what I'd put as the odds he's replaced between now and then).

Old
01-18-2012, 12:31 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
I disagree about Laich and Ward, but there is $16 million in completely dead weight on this payroll that could have easily been anticipated: Semin, Poti, Hamrlik, and Schultz.
Semin is dead weight but Ward isn't. Right.

Old
01-18-2012, 12:35 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Semin is dead weight but Ward isn't. Right.
7 million bucks for 45 points vs 3 million for 25. Which is worse?

Old
01-18-2012, 12:39 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Quote:
Neither is acceptable, really, but I'm more concerned with their overall play. Ward is the definition of the term "dead weight" right now. Semin has turned around both his play and production under Hunter. It could last, or it could fade. We'll see. I really just think Ward is a useless player.

Old
01-18-2012, 12:42 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Neither is acceptable, really, but I'm more concerned with their overall play. Ward is the definition of the term "dead weight" right now. Semin has turned around both his play and production under Hunter. It could last, or it could fade. We'll see. I really just think Ward is a useless player.
I don't give a **** if it looks like Semin is turning it around. He's a 7 year veteran who should play every game as such.

And it's completely irrelevent to my comment, which was part of a conversation on cap management.

Old
01-18-2012, 12:48 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Semin has been playing and producing better than Ovechkin, and has shown the ability to dominate the NHL game for significant stretches. Ward has shown the ability to win board battles and use the phrase "for sure" a lot in interviews. I would rather risk $6.7M on Semin than $3M on Ward, yes.

Old
01-18-2012, 12:48 PM
txpd

Quote:
semin has played the last 13 games at a point per game. he seems to have found his comfort zone.

Old
01-18-2012, 12:55 PM
Atlas

Ward is a solid 4th line winger. Worth about 1mill/yr in the current climate.

Old
01-18-2012, 01:01 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
semin has played the last 13 games at a point per game. he seems to have found his comfort zone.
Fantastic. If he can double that for a long stretch and finish the season around 80 points, he will have earned his contract.

Old
01-18-2012, 01:06 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Unfortunately NHL contracts seem based on previous years productivity. Semin or others may very well think that. Playing for their next contract, may be more accurate, when grading current play for pay.

Old
01-18-2012, 01:10 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Semin scored 50 points last year. Based on that he should be paid far less. That's why its a bad contract.

Old
01-18-2012, 01:18 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

It takes 80 points to be worth $6.7M? None of Eric Staal, Vincent Lecavalier, Rick Nash, Dany Heatley, Jarome Iginla, Patrick Marleau, Joe Thornton, or Mikko Koivu are on pace for 80 points. All have cap hits more than $6.7M.

Old
01-18-2012, 01:23 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
It takes 80 points to be worth $6.7M? None of Eric Staal, Vincent Lecavalier, Rick Nash, Dany Heatley, Jarome Iginla, Patrick Marleau, Joe Thornton, or Mikko Koivu are on pace for 80 points. All have cap hits more than $6.7M.
How many of those players signed their contract last year? After putting up 50 points. People really think Semin is on a good contract?

Old
01-18-2012, 01:28 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
How many of those players signed their contract last year? After putting up 50 points. People really think Semin is on a good contract?
That's not what I'm saying.

And Semin didn't sign his contract after putting up 50 points. He signed it on January 27th, 2011. He had 35 points in 39 games at that time.

Old
01-18-2012, 01:34 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Semin scored 50 points last year. Based on that he should be paid far less. That's why its a bad contract.
I agree that he is overpaid, but it wasn't like he was outright terrible last year. He had 54 points in 65 games on a team that was 19th in G/G. I realize durability is part of the equation, but he had almost the same ppg pace that Nick did.

I feel like I'm leader of the dump Brooks campaign, but I'd rather overpay Semin based on his ability to take over a playoff series than Mr. Jack-of-all-trades and his sound bytes. Brooks is the guy who hits a defenseman resulting in an errant clearing pass. Semin is the guy with the turnaround rocket to beat a world-class goalie. One of those guys is infinitely easier to replace.

Old
01-18-2012, 01:34 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

I would say I want crazy pills but suspect I am more likely to be Jamie Pushor here.

Brooks Laich.wav

It's all on the players, braaach.

Old
01-18-2012, 01:44 PM
Atlas

I am the General Douglas MacArthur of the dump Laich army thank you very much.

Semin is overpaid but where there is talent there is at least hope. He could be traded or simply not re-signed.

Old
01-18-2012, 01:59 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Sadly the time to move Laich has probably never been worse. If we could parlay him into a strong 2C cap and everything else willing, who wouldn't do it? Otherwise, you think we are thin now - move him. MJ MP Aucoin Halpern

Watching Laich and his shot blocking attempts at the top of the slot, aren't working for me. Going to one knee and sliding out of the play, head turned, is not helping our PK. Our scoring is too woeful now to have PK lapses. Watch for his move tonight, and the umbrella point faking the shot again.

I wonder if George would tout him as a potential captain in trade talks. A reference being the infamous lady with a flat tire.

Old
01-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I wonder if George would tout him as a potential captain in trade talks.
That would be hilarious.

Old
01-18-2012, 02:23 PM
hb11xchamps

Here is the list of notable forwards that will be UFAs this offseason
Ales Hemsky
Zach Parise
Teemu Selanne
Jarret Stoll
Mikhail Grabovski
Andrei Kostitsyn