HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2011 Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part 4

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2012, 06:35 PM
Halpysback

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Reclamation projects from Boudreau's Capitals, I guess you could say. Either way obviously not the point. They are already saturated with underperforming and/or injury-riddled players with significant contracts. And Joel Ward.
How many teams have successfully reclaimed their own reclamation projects? Most successful ones have their teams spend years of frustration trying to get them started up and then the moment they're on a new team, boom. Turris is a perfect example from this year. Or looking back further, Latendresse and Pouliot each flipping a switch the moment they were traded. Jokinen and Vrbata same thing. People are psychologically dumb like that.

Ward for Ballard. Schultz part of the trade/to the hawks/to the minors. You don't think we'd be fielding a better team?

Last edited by Halpysback: 01-21-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old
01-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
wideman lead nhl defensemen in ppg's last season. he was not a reclaimation project. the reclaimation projects i think he is talking about are ovechkin, semin, and green among others.

that was my point. so many of the caps most important players are struggling to find their game. you can add carlson to that. here you want to add another struggling defenseman to the caps top 4 d. it doesnt make sense.

like i said, what this team needs to add are players playing well with confidence in their game and their head screwed on straight.
Teams were crying out for OFDs last year, yet Florida had to trade him in the division for a song and a dance. Columbus signed Wisniewski for 5.5 million front loaded to fix their powerplay. You don't think they'd have given up a 3rd and a random guy off the street if they thought Wideman was legit?

Players with confidence. Well, I guess there's 2 classes. Star players or regular solid NHLers. You know how much star players cost. I don't see trading for any in the cards. If you think a regular confident and successful player is gonna fare any better than Knuble or Vokoun or Brouwer or Hamrlik upon coming here, I don't know what to say. If anything I can see them wilting under pressure of having to be Mr. Perfect for a dysfunctional team. Wideman came in with what I'd imagine to be pretty low confidence (-20whatever is pretty disheartening), virtually no pressure and has been killing it just playing to his instincts.

Old
01-21-2012, 06:50 PM
Capitlols

1) Calgary is trying to make the playoffs
2) Jokinen is not what we need

Old
01-21-2012, 06:51 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
How many teams have successfully reclaimed their own reclamation projects? Most successful ones have their teams spend years of frustration trying to get them started up and then the moment they're on a new team, boom. Turris is a perfect example from this year. Or looking back further, Latendresse and Pouliot each flipping a switch the moment they were traded. Jokinen and Vrbata same thing. People are psychologically dumb like that.

Ward for Ballard. Schultz part of the trade/to the hawks/to the minors. You don't think we'd be fielding a better team?
I want Ward and Schultz off the team. I guess if there were only two possible choices, keeping them or getting Ballard, I would choose Ballard. Those aren't the only two options. I want those players gone, and I want the team substantially improved with the cap space freed up from them and others. Langway sort of alluded to it: Even if Ballard returns to the best form of his career, that really doesn't do much for the team anyway.

The Capitals need to shed some dead weight and use the space to address much more pressing needs, especially a top-six forward (preferably center). If Ballard made a third of what he makes, maybe. They could use another defenseman who fits the new system, but absolutely not at the price of sacrificing the opportunity to improve the forwards. That is, if they're really trying to win anything with this coach and team. You think they should be; I don't at all.

Old
01-21-2012, 06:53 PM
NeilYoung

Calgarys "going for it"

You guys are underrating Jokinen though he's definitely underrated around here. He's been really solid for Calgary the last two years

Closed Thread