HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part 4

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2012, 11:52 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Because Eakin on the 2nd line was the solution....
If Eakin is what you're worried about, I don't know why you'd care about Sjogren. We'd be lucky to get Beagle-level impact out of him this year.

Old
01-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Capitlols

Even if we make the playoffs, round 2 seems like a best case scenario. I'm leaning toward being sellers, sneaking in the playoffs would be pointless.

Old
01-10-2012, 12:01 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Yeah oops. We don't want a guy that doesn't want to be in Hershey. Wait, what hockey pro wants to be in Hershey. He was no kid.

I know most had George's back and laughed at the big baby, but I think if you were in his big skates you may have felt the same way. I think it was a mistake to expect a grinder to wow the coaches by scoring goals before getting a callup. We managed to get Eakin into 20 games! But not the guy that dominated Eakin in camp for a single 1. It was a mistake to not give him a shot. It's our position of weakness and we should have gotten him a cup of coffee at minimum so he could know what he had to work on, verify the AHL is what he needed. Keep him motivated.

We didn't have center depth. It's why we brought Sjogren here. Now we could sure use him to help out. It would have been nice having a big beefy center for once on a west coast trip.
Right on.

Old
01-10-2012, 12:02 PM
txpd

its funny. last season and the season before when the caps were on top of the conference many were here saying that what they wanted was the caps in the playoffs as a lower seed. that starting there would be better.

now they could end up there and many are nowing saying to forgo the playoffs, throw in the towel and sell off.

its just interesting.

Old
01-10-2012, 12:03 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
if you are waiting for brooks laich to be a playmaker, its going to be awhile. he's been successful with ovechkin for a bit now, but not with sauce and vision and touch.
Did you watch the game last night?

I watched the first 2 periods. And I watched Laich closely. All I wanted to do was count the number of passes he would make to Ovi. In two periods the count was at 0.

Like I said, the guy brings nothing of worth to the table for us. Players like him are dime a dozen.

He needs to be able to play center for the top two lines if necessary, for a short while. He can't do that. He has zero vision. Zubrus was 10 times the center Laich is for Ovi.

Old
01-10-2012, 12:06 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
its funny. last season and the season before when the caps were on top of the conference many were here saying that what they wanted was the caps in the playoffs as a lower seed. that starting there would be better.

now they could end up there and many are nowing saying to forgo the playoffs, throw in the towel and sell off.

its just interesting.
I'm pretty sure no one said that.

Old
01-10-2012, 12:08 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
I think that this current team can and will make the playoffs. However, I don't envision them going far in the playoffs, not with TV giving up rebounds like he does, the lack of overall physicality from the team and on and on.

So being a seller as they approach the TDL may be most beneficial for this team. The obvious
moves would involve pending UFAs.
- Alex Semin
- Thomas Vokoun
- Dennis Wideman
- Mike Knuble

plus would like to see them include the following in any transactions
- Jeff Schultz
- Roman Hamrlik
- Joel Ward
- Perreault
Yep. Get some younger, faster players and some cheap character guys that will step up and defend team members. The money saved on these players will help retool the team. Personally, I think Ward will get some serious offers from legit contenders based on his playoffs. A team like Montreal would take Perreault. As for Hamrlik, I think he is the same as Ward. Playoff contenders might take Hamrlik for defensive depth. No doubt Knuble and Wideman get some offers. Who knows, we might even make the playoffs still, but there is no doubt we won't make it through the playoffs deep. Boston is on course to repeat. Ted is just worried about losing the playoff revenue.

Old
01-10-2012, 12:11 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I'm pretty sure no one said that.
Yeah, who the **** said that? The way the team plays at home as compared to on the road, the higher the seed the better. Always.

Old
01-10-2012, 12:13 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

One or two may have speculated that they'd do better without the pressure. But I'm not sure anyone "wished" it or that it was some movement among us.

Old
01-10-2012, 12:19 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Young D pair is struggling (therefore not a 1st pairing minute eater), need stronger 2C, and the 4th line is freaking horrendous. (and the injuries to 2 of the 4 young guns)

That about sums up the issues for me. They are not going far if this is the roster.

So disappointed in Ward. Especially after finally getting an ice level view in a live game.

Alzner and MoJo need to live in the weight room. And please get Carlson to start using his body more and less stick reaching.

Old
01-10-2012, 12:21 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:

its just interesting.
Nope. Anything can happen in the playoffs even with Boston. I don't of anybody that wants us to not make the playoffs. Even if we make it as a lower seed, the press would just talk about our offensive machine and focus on us . The East is just too weak of a Conference for us not to make the playoffs.

Old
01-10-2012, 12:28 PM
txpd

you are reading those above that are suggesting selling off at the deadline. that and not making the playoffs are the same thing

Old
01-10-2012, 12:30 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I've said it about two weeks ago and it still holds today. Two options. And I think the one you take is based off of Nicky's prognosis and the standings as you approach the TDL.

1. Go for it:
a). Trade MoJo (need to give to get) for a less skilled, but tougher, better faceoff, signed to good contract 2C to a team that is looking to get younger.
b). Revamp the 4th line. MP out for a rugged 4th line forward. Backstrom back bumps Beagle to depth.
c) If Sarge can be traded for a UFA D that is more helpful in playoffs... do it.

If Nick is done, or should be done...
2. Give up, but not fully:
a). Sell Semin. Should get a first and maybe a bottom roster player.
b). Depending on Green's health see if you get a pretty good deadline offer. Someone may take a chance given he's a RFA and can walk away OR QO him. The offers may be better there and less risk than Caps QO him and trying to trade him at draft.
c). Re-sign Wides. Dump Sarge.
d). See if someone takes Ward for playoffs.
e). See what UFA forward you can get for a 2nd rounder (like Zednik level skill) to replace Semin.

Old
01-10-2012, 12:32 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Did you watch the game last night?

I watched the first 2 periods. And I watched Laich closely. All I wanted to do was count the number of passes he would make to Ovi. In two periods the count was at 0.

Like I said, the guy brings nothing of worth to the table for us. Players like him are dime a dozen.

He needs to be able to play center for the top two lines if necessary, for a short while. He can't do that. He has zero vision. Zubrus was 10 times the center Laich is for Ovi.
i think that is what i said. if you are expecting laich to be a playmaker, its going to be a long wait. ovechkin seems to have been successful playing with laich, but not because of laich's ability to create a play or to pass with vision or touch. going back to last season saying laich was a wing and not a center i said he isnt a passer.

Old
01-10-2012, 12:56 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Article on NHL.com today all but says that Kuznetsov will be at Capitals' camp next fall.

Old
01-10-2012, 01:03 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Pining for Zubrus? These are dark days.

Old
01-10-2012, 01:06 PM
G3 LesPaul

[QUOTE=ChibiPooky;42232079]Article on NHL.com today all but says that Kuznetsov will be at Capitals' camp next fall. [/QUOTE

As much as I love him and excited for him coming here, it doesn't matter.

We still suck and this season/post season is looking gloomy unless something is fixed

Old
IafrateOvie34

- Alex Semin
- Thomas Vokoun
- Dennis Wideman
- Mike Knuble

plus would like to see them include the following in any transactions
- Jeff Schultz
- Roman Hamrlik
- Joel Ward
- Perreault

I do not see how trading some of these player equals selling off and quitting on the season. Its not like these guys on this list have contributed much this season and the Eastern Conference is pretty terrible from 5-8 position. I'm looking at current play not historical stuff. The only players on that list that have done anything consistently this year is Wideman. Semin is playing way better under DH and I give Knuble a pass due to his age and him being on the 4th line most of the year. The rest of those players are no loss to this team. I can see Knuble, Semin, and Wideman being here after the deadline.

I will bet my entire 500 vcash the Caps make he playoffs with or without trades. Does that mean they will make it far, who knows. Anything can happen in the playoffs. The Flyers were close in 2010, the 1991 North Stars made the SCF with a terrible record and mostly washed up players. The 1996 Panthers made the SCF with hardly any talent, mostly over the hill role players.

Last edited by IafrateOvie34: 01-10-2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: clarification
Old
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Article on NHL.com today all but says that Kuznetsov will be at Capitals' camp next fall.
I don't know why that should excite anyone (any more than they already would be). They don't know any more than we do as to whether he's decided to come over or not. Won't know until he signs one way or the other.

Old
01-10-2012, 01:10 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

As excited as I will be about Kuznetsov next season, this season is the one that has me in the dumps.

Rationally, while the team is flawed, it's flawed at this point due to under performance of the top players at the start, and injuries at this point. I understand that the team needs things like a 2nd center (and they do) but that's been an issue they can't quickly address in a cap world. For as good as the Rangers are, they still have flaws and holes in their lineup where you could say, hey, they're not great here.

With Green hurt, it's obvious their defense hurts. With him healthy, he's eating major minutes that might prevent some of the pressure on Carlson and Alzner. I also think Carlson's feeling the heat a bit to pickup some of the slack offensively, and it's hurting his zone coverage coming back at times.

I still think they can have a shot, but Backstrom's health is a big difference in their making the playoffs or not. I guess Ovechkin could go beast mode and carry them there like the old days, but it's going to be rough.

Now, how far they go is really down to whether or not Hunter can figure a system and get it working, whether Green's healthy, and whether the goaltending is better.

Honestly, if the goaltending was closer to where it needed to be and should be they wouldn't be this far down the table.

Old
01-10-2012, 01:13 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

[QUOTE=G3 LesPaul;42232533]
Quote:
Article on NHL.com today all but says that Kuznetsov will be at Capitals' camp next fall. [/QUOTE

As much as I love him and excited for him coming here, it doesn't matter.

We still suck and this season/post season is looking gloomy unless something is fixed
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
I don't know why that should excite anyone (any more than they already would be). They don't know any more than we do as to whether he's decided to come over or not. Won't know until he signs one way or the other.
Eh. The Caps will be playing hockey for a lot more than this season (read that however you want ).

Why shouldn't it excite anyone? I'd think the notion that the best prospect might actually play for the team someday would be worth getting fired up over, even if only to be disappointed. Living life without the ride is pretty damn boring if you ask me. (You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have...)

Old
01-10-2012, 01:16 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:

Eh. The Caps will be playing hockey for a lot more than this season (read that however you want ).

Why shouldn't it excite anyone? I'd think the notion that the best prospect might actually play for the team someday would be worth getting fired up over, even if only to be disappointed. Living life without the ride is pretty damn boring if you ask me. (You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have...)
You misunderstand me. Kuznetsov coming over should excite everyone. An article on NHL.com about Kuznetsov coming over is meaningless. They don't know any more than we do.

Old
01-10-2012, 01:25 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
You misunderstand me. Kuznetsov coming over should excite everyone. An article on NHL.com about Kuznetsov coming over is meaningless. They don't know any more than we do.
Nah, I understood that. I was just saying that I like to be excited for no reason because it's more fun that way.

Slightly random, but can Parise play C, or is he mostly a W?

Old
01-10-2012, 01:26 PM
Capitlols

Regardless of the fact that I think this team should be sellers, of course that's dependent on how the next few games play out. I don't think GMGM would do it, it would all but seal his fate if he did.

Old
01-10-2012, 02:40 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Barring a lockout or a delay in the season starting on time .