HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part 4

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2012, 01:45 PM
hb11xchamps

vCash: 500
I am excited that Kuznetsov is finally coming over, BUT he isn't going to lead us to a cup. I feel as if everyone's expectations for him are going to be very high and he might not have the season everyone is dreaming about. I hope the coaching staff starts him out slow to take off the pressure, kind of like what Bruce did with Backstrom to get his confidence up

Old
01-10-2012, 01:53 PM
G3 LesPaul

One expression explains this team

Old
01-10-2012, 01:53 PM
coyote

J. Ward

Not quite sure how he got 3 mill. a year for 4 years. Good for him but he is a below average player. would hope that they could deal him by trade line.

Old
01-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Stewie G
Because Hitting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote View Post
Not quite sure how he got 3 mill. a year for 4 years. Good for him but he is a below average player. would hope that they could deal him by trade line.
Ward was brought in based on his play in the playoffs, where he is damn near a ppg player. To ride out the first 80% of his pretty much expected crappy regular season just to trade him before the playoffs seems silly unless they are out of it. If he does nothing in the playoffs this year, I could see him being shopped in the offseason. GMGM rarely admits defeat though, so I'd wager he gets at least another year.

Old
01-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

If Ward continues his play I would be very much in favor of trading him at the draft or something. A lot of teams wanted to sign him; some of that demand could still exist.

Old
01-10-2012, 02:44 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

It's waaaaaay too early to bail on a guy who was just signed this year to a four-year deal. Sends a very bad message for other contract negotiations.

Old
01-10-2012, 03:04 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

My suggestions:

1) Place Green at LTIR for season - it provides us a much needed cap space

2) Trade substantial futures for Suter (if NSH decided they will not take part in a bidding war)

2b) If Suter isn't available make turn for another good defender (Beauchemin or smbd)

=> pair that defender with Orlov and ride them in ES, let Hamrlik-Wideman play against weaker opposition. change pairs if required.

3) Dump Schultz, acquire any veteran 7D or maybe even 8D, better to be UFA (that should be a slight net gain probably)

Summary of 1..3: minus Green, plus healthy top-4 (better top-2) Dman, minus good pick (our 1st probably) and/or prospect. Our D play this season should become better almost instantly.

While we are losing our high pick or smth we are keepring everybody who isn't evaluated properly yet. That's a plus because we don't know yet the roster, the coach or GM for next season.

4) Get BMo from Calgary?! =)))

Or another top-6 forward for some adequate price. It better be center ofc. Getzlaf if possible, ofc.

5) Do not trade Knuble until he asks for that. The old man will make his impact later I believe. He isn't used much this season and should save enough energy. That's plan B for any series.

6) Ward should be kept anyway till playoffs, Brouwer is a keeper and future Knuble-subst, it's evident.

7) Laich could be traded I believe. Eakin could be traded also and maybe even Galiev if GMGM is confident Kuz will play here. We have not much room for Galiev, Eakin's trade value is high and Laich is replaceable while expensive. He isn't living for his contract and still has some good trade value. That's just my logic and not the preference.

SO: The defense could be addressed withoit fire sale. The offense could be half-addressed probably and more tricky but in the end we can still have a chance to win 1-2 series while saving every player whose destiny isn't clear yet. Just not with Green in the current roster.

Prayer for Backstrom and 42 more games till the post season. That's more than 50%.

No more facking doom, gloom and overreaction. 4 home games in a row and Florida is near.

Old
01-10-2012, 03:10 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
If Ward continues his play I would be very much in favor of trading him at the draft or something. A lot of teams wanted to sign him; some of that demand could still exist.
just a reminder. ward was signed because of his playoff production the past two seasons. his regular season numbers are far less impressive. he's a player who's game apparantly translates to playoff hockey better than regular season. the kind of player many here have been wanting.

i just dont think this player was brought in to be judged on his regular season numbers.

Old
01-10-2012, 03:17 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

I'd say move Green to LTIR if he can't be traded. If he can, move him for a 2C (possibly packaged with prospect), and package Schultz with prospect to upgrade at LD (think an all-situations guy).

Salarywise, the LD upgrade and 2C together can cost roughly 8M. Those are the only moves I would do. Keep Knuble, Laich, Semin, Ward.

Obviously if Green can't be traded then other assets have to be on the move if a 2C is coming back. In that instance, I'd package the prospects with Schultz to try for a 2C and go for another depth defenseman with a late pick.

Old
01-10-2012, 03:18 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

How many games has Schultz even played in the last 20 or so? Good grief.

Old
01-10-2012, 03:19 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

The window for trading Green for any kind of value is closed.

Watch him sign a 1 year deal with the Ducks or Wings as a UFA.

Old
01-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Capitlols

...and if Ward doesn't do squat in the playoffs what then?

Old
01-10-2012, 03:22 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Who cares about Wards' numbers. I care more about the way he plays as a grinder. Its horrid. Doesn't hit when he has the chance. Doesn't drive the net with the puck. PLays the boards well, but that's it.

Last night early on we had a sustained forecheck. Tons of hitting by that line. The puck goes behind the net as they break our cycle and Ward approaches the Dman, who flips puck to the half boards to an open wing.... and Ward doesn't hit the guy, he just coasts behind the net and up the boards (as the puck is carried through the neutral zone). Crap happened 30 feet from me. I was sooooo pissed. But I drank my beer and felt the anger fade.

Old
01-10-2012, 03:23 PM
MD Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb11xchamps View Post
I am excited that Kuznetsov is finally coming over, BUT he isn't going to lead us to a cup. I feel as if everyone's expectations for him are going to be very high and he might not have the season everyone is dreaming about. I hope the coaching staff starts him out slow to take off the pressure, kind of like what Bruce did with Backstrom to get his confidence up
Sorry, but I'm not excited about his coming over, unless he's better than Semin and Ovechkin. It's like I've seen that movie before and I'm not really interested.

Old
01-10-2012, 03:25 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
just a reminder. ward was signed because of his playoff production the past two seasons. his regular season numbers are far less impressive. he's a player who's game apparantly translates to playoff hockey better than regular season. the kind of player many here have been wanting.

i just dont think this player was brought in to be judged on his regular season numbers.
I am very well aware. Count me as someone who doesn't expect him to produce offensively in the playoffs again. His overall game may be more effective and/or important in the playoffs, but that offensive output was the product of a hot streak, as far as I'm concerned. Maybe something in his mental makeup makes him more likely to go on hot streaks in the playoffs. Note that I said "at the draft" and "if he continues his play." If he is having the impact he's having now, or not much more of one, in the playoffs, he should be traded.

Old
01-10-2012, 03:30 PM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

vCash: 4500
Sarge is plus 1. Rah.

Impressive how much his fortunes have turned from the +fiddy heyday. Nasty never seemed to fit - we all knew. That moment the nasty label came out, may very well end up being the peak of his career. Sure he has some years to go before the Dman usually peaks but he is trending backwards.

It is justifying for those that had not been happy with his development and play - and took grief for it.

Maybe we can trade him to whoever wanted him badly enough to make us take him over Green.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 01-10-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old
01-10-2012, 03:30 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Keeping Green at LTIR sounds like a good strategy to make his contract negotiations leverage at minimum. Also his trade value at minimum and it dismisses the other teams desire to make an offer sheet.

Old
01-10-2012, 03:33 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Raise your hand if you ever argued that Schultz was a top four dman with upside.

Old
01-10-2012, 03:33 PM
txpd

@strung. schultz has dressed for 6 games under hunter

Old
01-10-2012, 03:34 PM
hb11xchamps

If Ward doesnt pick up his play he could become the new Nylander.

Old
01-10-2012, 03:36 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb11xchamps View Post
If Ward doesnt pick up his play he could become the new Nylander.
Ward is healthy and not that much overpaid really. And he is not old. No way he is an albatross like Nylander.

Old
01-10-2012, 03:36 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

There will be no contract negotiations with Green. We'll give him his QO and he'll take it. Unless his groin is pretty bad and the caps offer a 2yr ~3.5M deal. Then maybe green takes something in that range to get overall more money cause he's not sure of his UFA prospects.

Old
01-10-2012, 03:38 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Raise your hand if you ever argued that Schultz was a top four dman with upside.
Does 2004 draft count?

It was apparent that he didn't deserve that contract and it was overly apparent that he should have been dealt in offseason before his value plummeted. And sign Hannan or a respectable 1M-2M player.

Old
01-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Unless his groin is pretty bad and the caps offer a 2yr ~3.5M deal. Then maybe green takes something in that range to get overall more money cause he's not sure of his UFA prospects.
That's creative! Still he's better served at LTIR for the season. The scary part is that I'm absolutely used to that thought already... And I'm sure many of us are feeling as well.

Old
01-10-2012, 03:46 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Yeah but its almost lose-lose. Yeah you may get him cheaper, but it's only cause both you and him know he's hurt long term. So what are you really getting for the 7M? May as well let him walk or pray some contending team gives you something for the off chance that Green can play 15min in the playoffs (I know we all chuckle at the thought of Green and playoff survival)

Closed Thread