HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part 4

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2012, 03:49 PM
Stewie G

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
I am very well aware. Count me as someone who doesn't expect him to produce offensively in the playoffs again. His overall game may be more effective and/or important in the playoffs, but that offensive output was the product of a hot streak, as far as I'm concerned. Maybe something in his mental makeup makes him more likely to go on hot streaks in the playoffs. Note that I said "at the draft" and "if he continues his play." If he is having the impact he's having now, or not much more of one, in the playoffs, he should be traded.
He has 17 points in 18 playoffs games over the last 2 years. I'd say that counts as a little more than a hot streak.

Old
01-10-2012, 03:54 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Putting Green on LTIR sounds like a winner. Then the team knows exactly where they stand in terms of who has to step up. Frankly, I thought they were actually kind of adapting pretty well. Then Green attempted some ice time and things have been a little disorganized since.

The west coast wasn't pretty. When I think about it I then turn to the NY Rangers game of not long ago. The Caps played a good game. They need to watch that video.

Backstrom is another obstacle ATM no doubt. I'm gonna wait until tomorrow to start think about pannicking. Giroux was walloped pretty good too but is back. Personally I think Nick will be fine in short time (I hope, I hope).

But putting Green on LTIR sounds like the first step in a plan to acquire another "older" minute munching d-man. Wideman is contributing offensively. Hamrlik is picking up his offensive game. Carlson has hit a dry spell. Orlov certainly has potential.

How about Gleason or a "Gleason" type? I think he's a RD and maybe would change the mix a little. Pair him with Alzner as the shutdown duo. I don't know how Gleason goes these days though. Move Carlson with Hammer. Get Wides back on to the third pair with Orlov. Alzner and Carlson are worrying me. They are playing like they have too much on their plates. Those two are still so young.

GMGM is in a tough spot.

Old
01-10-2012, 03:59 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Band aids on a shotgun wound.

We need a #1 dman, a #2 center, a second pairing dman, and a scoring winger.

McPhee's patented dumpster diving isn't going to unearth any of that -nor has it ever.
Well you know i have been calling for a #2 C since last seasons start. But those kind of pieces will likely now have to wait until the off season when he will not be as hampered by the cap situation. He made his bed for this season during the summer when he left himself no cap room to bank.

01-10-2012, 04:05 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
He has 17 points in 18 playoffs games over the last 2 years. I'd say that counts as a little more than a hot streak.
I think it's possible that some aspect of his psyche propels him to a higher level of play in the playoffs. I know for sure that he is a hockey player with very little NHL-level offensive ability.

Old
01-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Well you know i have been calling for a #2 C since last seasons start. But those kind of pieces will likely now have to wait until the off season when he will not be as hampered by the cap situation.
Would you trade Eakin for Prospal straight up, for example?

Old
01-10-2012, 04:13 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
Save Eakin as a chip for a summer trade imo for a better and longterm player.

Old
01-10-2012, 04:19 PM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
I dont know if that would be a good idea. Eakin could be used for a bigger player and is one of the only few prospects we have. We really need to restock prospects because outside Kuz, Eakin, Orlov, and Galiev we dont have much

Old
01-10-2012, 04:21 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb11xchamps View Post
I dont know if that would be a good idea. Eakin could be used for a bigger player and is one of the only few prospects we have. We really need to restock prospects because outside Kuz, Eakin, Orlov, and Galiev we dont have much
What would we trade then for #2C and others? Schultz?

Old
01-10-2012, 04:26 PM
MD Moose

Quote:
Why trade a young talent for a soon to be old has been?

Old
01-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Moose View Post
Why trade a young talent for a soon to be old has been?
The team probably needs a trade or few. Such guys as Schultz do have much less value and thus will not bring us good players in return. While Prospal is (an example) older he is still better than Eakin I believe.

There is no evidence that Eakin will set NHL on fire ever. Or that Eakin can play 2C. There is no evidence that MJ and Kuz could do that on Cup run.

That's why he is a subject for trade offers.

Old
01-10-2012, 04:58 PM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

Are the Caps going to resign Semin or try to trade him?

Old
01-10-2012, 05:32 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildisLaw View Post
Why are you asking us? We can't even find out whats going on with our top center and defenseman, nevermind what GMGM plans to do with a schizophrenic player like Sasha that is on his 2nd or 3rd 1 year deal. It sucks counting on a dynamic duo like Katie and Tarik that can only be counted on for reports from practice and not much else. Would be nice having someone covering the Caps that could actually dig something informative up once in a while.

Old
01-10-2012, 05:49 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildisLaw View Post

hope not.

Old
01-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
hope not.
So you'd prefer they neither resign him nor trade him...?

Old
01-10-2012, 06:21 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
So you'd prefer they neither resign him nor trade him...?
He just wants them to keep him for the playoffs and then let him walk.

Old
01-10-2012, 06:23 PM
tycoonheart

I have a feeling if Semin won't get resigned here he won't want to play for other teams in NA. He'll play in the KHL.

Old
01-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Roughing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Who cares about Wards' numbers. I care more about the way he plays as a grinder. Its horrid. Doesn't hit when he has the chance. Doesn't drive the net with the puck. PLays the boards well, but that's it.

Last night early on we had a sustained forecheck. Tons of hitting by that line. The puck goes behind the net as they break our cycle and Ward approaches the Dman, who flips puck to the half boards to an open wing.... and Ward doesn't hit the guy, he just coasts behind the net and up the boards (as the puck is carried through the neutral zone). Crap happened 30 feet from me. I was sooooo pissed. But I drank my beer and felt the anger fade.
.......this

Old
01-10-2012, 06:35 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
I have a feeling if Semin won't get resigned here he won't want to play for other teams in NA. He'll play in the KHL.
a lot of people think that. anyone that saw elliott freidman's piece on the conditions in the khl wouldnt think that. beyond the scary travel situation, contracts are not guaranteed. in fact the team can change a player's salary without notice and at any time. sergie zubov was very critical.

i doubt seriously that russian players in the nhl want anything to do with the khl.

Old
01-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post

I seriously hope Mcphee realizes this and gains the balls to sign semin to a contract around 3-4 million or less.
It's ****ing obvious Semin wants to stay here, make him take a damn pay cut.

Old
01-10-2012, 06:41 PM
tycoonheart

Yeah if we can sign him for a few years for cheap, I'd be all about it. I think the Caps have the leverage with his buddy Ovechkin here and all.

Old
01-10-2012, 06:43 PM
Roughing

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
a lot of people think that. anyone that saw elliott freidman's piece on the conditions in the khl wouldnt think that. beyond the scary travel situation, contracts are not guaranteed. in fact the team can change a player's salary without notice and at any time. sergie zubov was very critical.

i doubt seriously that russian players in the nhl want anything to do with the khl.
I find myself believing this and also that he really wants to be in DC. I would leverage that in the form of a ~ 3yr/$12m contract. If he calls that bluff and leaves, fine. I don't need to get rid of him like some others but the huge money he gets every year hurts the franchise.

Old
01-10-2012, 06:50 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I have no issue if Semin wants to keep doing a 1yr "pay for performance" contract. Just don't be pissed when we come to you in Jan with a 1yr 4M offer. I'd still consider giving him a 2yr/10M this offseason if he'd bite. There comes a point where that skill is worth paying for without the intangibles. But that's not in the 6+ range.

Old
01-10-2012, 07:02 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

He put up 50-some points last year and he's on pace for 40-some this year. 1 year $3.5 is as high as I'd go and as high as he deserves. Frankly, I'd let him dangle on the free market for a while. No one's going to offer him anything. Then use that information to really lowball him.

But I'd be happier if he were off the team.

Old
01-10-2012, 07:06 PM
EYEuhFRAYtee

Old
01-10-2012, 07:07 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Caps recalling Kundratek. Interesting, to say the least, unless there's another injury we don't know about (given that they're on a home stand that is).

Closed Thread