HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News and Notes 2011-2012 II

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Roughing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Laich on local radio: "We are trying to find the balance between strong strong defense and maintaining creativity on offense".

Stating the obvious perhaps, but in case anyone can't figure out what Dale is trying to do.
I think we know that's what he's trying to do...

Old
02-14-2012, 12:37 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmljeh19 View Post
Skated for I think it was an hour 45 today and was blocking shot against Laich. Longest day skating since the surgery. Said to be right on schedule.
In his first game back he'll take a puck to the head and be out again.

Old
02-14-2012, 01:02 PM
Carlzner

Well my twitter feed is a little frustrating...

The thing i don't understand is why the coaches are playing Knuble on the 4th line, and then benching him because he's not producing with people like Jay Beagle or Matt Hendricks.
Put him in the top 6, where his services are of use, and you'll see him get points.

Old
02-14-2012, 01:31 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Laich on local radio: "We are trying to find the balance between strong strong defense and maintaining creativity on offense".

Stating the obvious perhaps, but in case anyone can't figure out what Dale is trying to do.
Pretty telling.

02-14-2012, 01:50 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Well my twitter feed is a little frustrating...

The thing i don't understand is why the coaches are playing Knuble on the 4th line, and then benching him because he's not producing with people like Jay Beagle or Matt Hendricks.
Put him in the top 6, where his services are of use, and you'll see him get points.
I agree. There's this from CI today, but if that is what Dale wants, he needs to do what you describe, give 22 a chance to do what he does best.

Quote:
Coach Dale Hunter said he wants Knuble to show him he made a mistake by scratching him.

“He will [get back in] eventually … it’s always who plays the best and who doesn’t play well,” Hunter said. “We watch tape and bring new faces in.”

“He’s a leader, you know, a professional,” Hunter added. “We all go through it when we get older. I went through it. You’re trying to get more speed in the lineup but you’ve got to be professional about it and train hard out here so when you do get back in you’re ready to go. Show me that I made a mistake. That’s what I want.”

Old
02-14-2012, 03:43 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that maybe only strong defense would be good enough and that would help create more offense. It is the quest for strong strong defense that is killing the offense...

Old
02-14-2012, 03:53 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Pretty telling.
Yeah, I don't see how it's telling, at all. Hasn't that been the same story for 3 seasons now?

Old
02-14-2012, 05:22 PM
txpd

dale says its about who's playing better and then he scratched the guy so wrecker can sit on the bench and yell at the other team?

come on dale. he tells the media that neuvirth isnt playing because of the back to backs while holtby has the back to back plus a hectic day of travel.
dale needs some help from the media dept before he speaks to the media or maybe he should keep more of this to himself

Old
02-14-2012, 06:04 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Pretty telling.
Yeah, it was pretty telling. Just like when we found out Bruce used a compartmentalized approach to coaching. Who knew.

The players struggle to find that balance needed yet know one here can say exactly why. Why is it so difficult. It's what can happen when you try and change coaches in the middle of the year, and stop expecting individuals to carry us to a cup in a team game.

Old
02-14-2012, 06:39 PM
txpd

Quote:
Why is it so difficult..
simple. make the wrong read, get benched, get scratched, get dumped to the fourth line. so...they play it safe.

the caps have been an attack and win the game team. they are being coached now to not lose the game and wait and see if it comes to them.

do remember the discombobulated mike green that played for glen hanlon? the caps look like an entire team of that. the difference between the hanlon's getting fired caps and the hunter caps is that they have some proof that they all can play in this league. that last hanlon roster had several good players that werent sure they could cut it yet. either way, many young caps were afraid hanlon could kill their career if they fell out of favor. now there are veteran caps who fear the same thing. knuble's career is done. erskine is on the ropes. schultz too. ward possibly. who's next?

Last edited by txpd: 02-14-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old
02-14-2012, 07:11 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
simple. make the wrong read, get benched, get scratched, get dumped to the fourth line. so...they play it safe.

the caps have been an attack and win the game team. they are being coached now to not lose the game and wait and see if it comes to them.

do remember the discombobulated mike green that played for glen hanlon? the caps look like an entire team of that. the difference between the hanlon's getting fired caps and the hunter caps is that they have some proof that they all can play in this league. that last hanlon roster had several good players that werent sure they could cut it yet. either way, many young caps were afraid hanlon could kill their career if they fell out of favor. now there are veteran caps who fear the same thing. knuble's career is done. erskine is on the ropes. schultz too. ward possibly. who's next?
I am not sure Hunter's style works, either, but I don't agree with a lot of those points.

Sure, I remember Mike Green looking like nothing special under Hanlon. But I also remember Mike Green looking like nothing special during playoffs under Boudreau.

I don't see evidence, at least not yet, that Hunter punishes people severely for making mistakes. On the other hand, I see some evidence that he punishes people for not hustling. And if so, I like that:

Some people have noticed that after Hunter's comments, a guy like Schultz has started to move his feet. Hunter's remark about Knuble was he wants more speed, i.e. hustle in the lineup. He's moved MJ around perhaps sending a message, but he's given a lot of ice-time to Perreault, and the difference has been that MP has hustled -- he's made mistakes, but he's buzzing around and hustling. Semin has started to put more effort in. Orlov has made mistakes, too, but he's clearly competing and throwing his body around, and I bet that's something that's gonna keep him in the lineup. Etc.

I would qualify that by saying that if Ovechkin continues to have games where he's not moving his feet, and Hunter does nothing, that kind of negates a lot of that. But if he's the type of coach that's willing to tolerate mistakes as long as he sees genuine effort, I'd say "hallelujah!".

With all that, is he a good enough X-and-O guy to win a cup? I have a lot of doubts -- he made a huge coaching jump, wasn't a very cerebral player, the Caps still display (a lot of) the old maladies, and the team does not look coherent.. but that's a whole different topic. Up to this point I find his "player management" encouraging.

Old
02-15-2012, 10:29 PM
Capitlols

Sky Kerstein @SkyKerstein
#Caps Leonsis in STH email "Despite some unforeseen circumstances, I’m seeing signs that our team is beginning to adhere to Hunter’s style"

Apparently he's raising ST prices as well.

Old
02-15-2012, 11:55 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Bwah ha ha ha ha ha.

Ice product sucks.... Increase prices.

AOL 1.0

Old
02-16-2012, 12:13 AM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
dale says its about who's playing better and then he scratched the guy so wrecker can sit on the bench and yell at the other team?

come on dale. he tells the media that neuvirth isnt playing because of the back to backs while holtby has the back to back plus a hectic day of travel.
dale needs some help from the media dept before he speaks to the media or maybe he should keep more of this to himself
definitely needs to improve his communications skills, at least w/ the media and probably with the players. both the knuble and neuwirth situations did not need to be complicated at all. sitting noobs wasn't a bolt out of the blue, it was overdue. and it could be explained by just saying, 'he isn't playing well enough.' the half-baked thing about plus-minus ... it muddied a situation that didnt need to be. and same with neuwirth, just give the guy some advance notice. and then the secrecy, or at least cat-and-mousing, with Carerra about whether people had been called up from Hershey or not.

the other thing which looked amateurish was Kolzig coming out w/ the comments about Ovie needing to shed the rock-star status. was he saying that w/ blessing of DH, or just improvising? if the latter, then that's worrisome too. just bad communication all the way around.

that said, and even though the caps have not begun the rearview mirror run which the Boudreau is currently overseeing in Anaheim, i do feel as if the Caps are more competitive now, and are staying close enough on the scoreboard to win games, where before they were getting down by 2 goals and then all of a sudden they were down by 4 or 5 goals.

i'm not ready to throw in the towel yet.

Old
02-16-2012, 07:20 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Must say, the Junkies are still tool bags when it comes to the Caps.

Between Lurch not being able to pronounce Malkin, Datsyuk, and just completely glossing over the injuries, they're still bad.

They've tried to improve a bit, but it's still pretty awful to hear them try and talk about the Caps. Cakes at least cares a bit about the sport, but most couldn't care less.

Old
02-16-2012, 07:53 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Good to read Green is showing a lot of progress. It's been a while since I've read something positive like that on here.

The Junkies are tool bags period, never mind just when it comes to the Caps.

Never did understand their appeal. If I want to hear bull **** like that I will call up my high school buddies and talk about the old days. That's what their act reminds me of.

Good on them for getting someone to pay them for it. Genius I guess.

Old
02-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

From Katie's twitter...

Quote:
Tensions running high at #Caps practice. Ovechkin and Wideman got into it a bit, exchanged some slashes, shoves and stared each other down.

Old
02-16-2012, 10:57 AM
EYEuhFRAYtee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
From Katie's twitter...
Stay angry?

Old
02-16-2012, 11:03 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
From Katie's twitter...
Again with the staring, where's CapitalsCup2012.

Let's not use up all of the stares, save some for when Rene Bourque is back in town.

Old
02-16-2012, 11:04 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Has Jeff Schultz sent any text messages?

Old
02-16-2012, 11:04 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Old
02-16-2012, 11:12 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Old
02-16-2012, 11:15 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I'm always supportive of a little internal tension and competitiveness among teammates. And I don't mean shooting a puck off the bar and into Laich's head.

But when you don't show agression on a much deaper scale vs the opponent. The internal scuffles ring hollow.

Still confused as to Bourque playing late minutes in the montreal games when the caps had the game at hand and........ nothing. It's the his elbowing incident disappeared like a fart in the wind.

Old
02-16-2012, 11:18 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1100
lol at Sarge texting. Alzner quickly skated in to keep the peace. Can't we all be friends, here let me buy you some soda's.

Good, I am glad tensions are high, and at least someone is showing they hate what's going on. Sounds like Wideman is unhappy being a pending UFA, George probably hasn't offered him dick. Coupled with the Green skated report, I now up the chance Wides is moved at the TDL. Even though someone that is getting pissed, I generally like to keep around. Too bad he never gets mad at opponents.

Old
02-16-2012, 11:19 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
I'm always supportive of a little internal tension and competitiveness among teammates. And I don't mean shooting a puck off the bar and into Laich's head.

But when you don't show agression on a much deaper scale vs the opponent. The internal scuffles ring hollow.

Still confused as to Bourque playing late minutes in the montreal games when the caps had the game at hand and........ nothing. It's the his elbowing incident disappeared like a fart in the wind.
The incident with Bourque and the Capitals weak response (similar to Lucic/Ryan Miller hit and what happened to Buffalo thereafter) along with Ovie mouthing the words fat **** on the bench during the Ducks game may be what defines this season.

Closed Thread