HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

News and Notes 2011-2012 II

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2012, 01:09 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
ha...whyno says wideman thought mcphee was calling to tell him he was traded....

Old
01-12-2012, 01:11 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
ha...whyno says wideman thought mcphee was calling to tell him he was traded....
Wow hilarious

Old
01-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Blades of steel
log off.

Then there must be some sort of whispers about a trade in the locker room, inside information leaked.

Old
01-12-2012, 02:04 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

in the post-practice presser from today, Katie asked Dale about TVo playing the puck. says Tomas told her that BB et al told him not to but that the new regime is letting him do that more. interesting.

Old
01-12-2012, 02:04 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

What an odd thing for Wideman to say. He is probably living in fear about being traded in the past, or an opps last night. Dude, you have been one of our top 5 players, relax. Maybe its just the price of being a hockey player.

Crank call Sarge!! Soft calm voice, Jeff, its me, George. Chill goes up the spine. Hangup. Priceless.

Poor Sarge

About a goalie playing the puck, I think you have let them try on their own. If they suck at it, yeah just stay in the crease. Otherwise, get it if you want. We trust you.

Old
01-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Crank call Sarge!! Soft calm voice, Jeff, its me, George. Chill goes up the spine. Hangup. Priceless.

Poor Sarge

Katie probably has his number. Someone needs to take one for the team here.

In all seriousness he would probably welcome it at this point though.

Old
01-12-2012, 02:25 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

moderately deleterious

Last edited by RandyHolt: 01-12-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old
01-12-2012, 02:40 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
What an odd thing for Wideman to say. He is probably living in fear about being traded in the past, or an opps last night. Dude, you have been one of our top 5 players, relax. Maybe its just the price of being a hockey player.

Poor Sarge

About a goalie playing the puck, I think you have let them try on their own. If they suck at it, yeah just stay in the crease. Otherwise, get it if you want. We trust you.
Well the conversation suggested that TVo likes to play the puck and is goo at it but was told not to. Probably because of the team's long standing propensity to allow odd-man breaks. DON'T LEAVE THE CREASE!! Didn't Theodore say he'd never seen a team give up so many chances?

Old
01-12-2012, 02:48 PM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
wideman, allstar. interesting

the mlb allstar game is the only game of any value anymore. i think most nhlpa members would vote for the idea of discontinuing the allstar game in the nhl
On the surface Wideman and Phaneuf had almost the exact same stats. Both can be considered top 12 dmen too, so not that surprised.

I don't think the NHLPA would vote against it. An ASG is still a bargaining chip even if the game is a joke.

Old
01-12-2012, 03:45 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
Well the conversation suggested that TVo likes to play the puck and is goo at it but was told not to. Probably because of the team's long standing propensity to allow odd-man breaks. DON'T LEAVE THE CREASE!! Didn't Theodore say he'd never seen a team give up so many chances?
Now that's priceless

There is a little bit of truth behind all jokes. That may be full truth.

We allowed our fair share of odd mans but not horribly as I recall. More a lot of scrambling around staying in our zones I guess. A center back instead of the LD happened a lot. The directive may have had something to do with it usually being Sarge and Green in front of him.

Not sure how its exactly related to playing the puck but if he had a decent twig, he should have thrown some hail mary's up to Ovi

Theo could easily say that to make his horrible numbers look better.

Old
01-12-2012, 04:29 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBears View Post
On the surface Wideman and Phaneuf had almost the exact same stats. Both can be considered top 12 dmen too, so not that surprised.

I don't think the NHLPA would vote against it. An ASG is still a bargaining chip even if the game is a joke.
Wideman won't receive his due until he makes the most overated list. He has a long way to go to catch Phaneuf, if you believe SI and 163 of his peers.

Old
01-12-2012, 04:39 PM
txpd

actually its not much of a bargaining chip. for the pa its my feeling they would suggest eliminating the game. nhl contracts generally dont allow bonuses so only young players and old players on one year contracts. rare allstars.

getting chosen to the of the year allstar teams can still be used in contracts

Old
01-12-2012, 07:17 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Never sure where to put this, and I know some are sick of it, but tough.

Pet peeve update:

If the NHL did not award points for losing after regulation the Caps would now be third in the East and the not-as-good-as-they-seem Panthers would be 8th. This is true EVEN if you give a nod to BRS03 and exclude SO wins from the tiebreak.

Just sayin'.

Old
01-12-2012, 07:27 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Always interesting to keep track of, but I still maintain the Caps have given up any right to complain about standings position, especially in this division (not that they are complaining but you know what I mean).

Old
01-12-2012, 07:42 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Always interesting to keep track of, but I still maintain the Caps have given up any right to complain about standings position, especially in this division (not that they are complaining but you know what I mean).
I hear ya. And this is in no way intended to suggest that they are playing well. But consider this: if you count SO WINS, the Caps have 1 more than Fla in 1 fewer game. If you exclude those as wins, they have the same number of wins in 1 fewer game. But they are 4 points and 5 standings positions behind. That means, conceivably, the Caps could win more games than the Cats this season and come in second in the division. That's crazy.

Old
01-12-2012, 07:48 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Yeah, but nothing new. It'll be more interesting later in the season, since they've still got 4 to go against the Cats. No excuse for not catching up, especially since the Panthers aren't nearly as hot as of late.

Part of me doesn't mind at all, though. The Panthers got screwed out of a playoff spot due to shootouts (MTL ended up getting in) so there's something, I don't know, "right" about them getting it back this year. Caps take care of their own and the details won't matter.

Old
01-12-2012, 08:24 PM
txpd

caps have lost 19 games only two in ot in 41 games. not good. cammalleri traded during the game. interesting...crazy

Old
01-13-2012, 02:43 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of steel View Post
Then there must be some sort of whispers about a trade in the locker room, inside information leaked.
They know more about it probably. Maybe not every time.

One young player in the system told me (that was this past summer) they knew Varly will be traded. And Varly knew it also.

I think Schultz is just waiting for his new destination to be announced.

Old
01-13-2012, 03:39 PM
sk84fun_dc

Posted in the prospects thread, but since some don't read that thread, thought I'd post here, too:

College Hockey: UMD vs UNO on NBCSN (formerly known as Versus) at 7:30pm tonight.

Caleb Herbert, Caps draft pick/prospect plays for UMD. Caps draft pick (rights released is my understanding) Brent Gwidt plays for UNO.

Old
01-13-2012, 03:54 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
Posted in the prospects thread, but since some don't read that thread, thought I'd post here, too:

College Hockey: UMD vs UNO on NBCSN (formerly known as Versus) at 7:30pm tonight.

Caleb Herbert, Caps draft pick/prospect plays for UMD. Caps draft pick (rights released is my understanding) Brent Gwidt plays for UNO.
I was curious to see when the UNO hockey program began (started up in 1997). I lived in Omaha from 1991-95 and the big thing at UNO was their football team at the time. They did not have a hockey team then. The only hockey in town was the Omaha Lancers of the USHL and they routinely played to sold out crowds at Aksarben (Nebraska spelled backwoods believe it or not). Creighton Univesity had a strong soccer program at the time and was routinely ranked in the top ten. Would have loved to have attended some college hockey when I lived there.

Old
01-13-2012, 11:09 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Today's the anniversary of the Air Florida Flight 90 that took off from National Airport and struck the 14th Street Bridge before falling into the Potomac River. I had just gotten off from work when I had heard about the crash. I had tickets for the Capitals game that night against the Edmonton Oilers and a young Wayne Gretzky at the Capital Center. As crazy as the weather was, the game was not canceled so I decided to go to the game. Only a few hundred folks made it to that game that night and they rewarded everyone in attendance with a ticket to another Capitals game.

Old
01-14-2012, 06:54 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

I was there too. It was one of the many games at the Cap Centre where they essentially declared open seating and gave everyone hot chocolate.

Awful day for the DC area though.

Old
01-14-2012, 01:37 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleycaps98 View Post
I was there too. It was one of the many games at the Cap Centre where they essentially declared open seating and gave everyone hot chocolate.

Awful day for the DC area though.
OMG! I forgot about that -- the game, not the crash. I was there too. My mother was furious at my dad for taking me all the way out to Landover in that storm.

Old
01-15-2012, 12:30 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

Congrats to Dennis Wideman for being selected to the ASD.

01-15-2012, 02:09 PM
The Flying Finn

Ovie rapping D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkmLcLWNViY

Closed Thread