HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Trade Deadline

View Poll Results: Will the Stars do anything between now and the trade deadline?
Stars make at least one big move 21 35.00%
Stars make one or more small moves 32 53.33%
Stars do nothing 7 11.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2012, 11:31 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
I don't know why we'd move Nystrom down the lineup. He's been scoring and not sucking. If anything, move Dvorak down the lineup and slot Ott or Nystrom in his spot.

And I don't really want Chris Stewart, he's just another Ott or Morrow type. There are better options in the top 6 than Chris Stewart out there, I think.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:35 AM
lance78

I also agree that Morrow will not be pushed out of the top 6. I think in this scenario Joe can make one big move.

What about a James Van Riemsdyk and Grossman centered trade? TSN seems to think he is in play. JVR is signed for 6 years at 4.25 mil cap hit. So it would be long term deal that could benefit going forward. Per capgeek he has a modified NTC, so that wouldn't handicap the GM too bad going forward.

What else would we have to add to get JVR?

Last year Joe dealt from a position of strength, Neal. We would just reverse that this year. (Obviously the position of strength is relative only to the team, not Dallas compared to other teams).

Old
02-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by lance78 View Post
I also agree that Morrow will not be pushed out of the top 6. I think in this scenario Joe can make one big move.

What about a James Van Riemsdyk and Grossman centered trade? TSN seems to think he is in play. JVR is signed for 6 years at 4.25 mil cap hit. So it would be long term deal that could benefit going forward. Per capgeek he has a modified NTC, so that wouldn't handicap the GM too bad going forward.

What else would we have to add to get JVR?

Last year Joe dealt from a position of strength, Neal. We would just reverse that this year. (Obviously the position of strength is relative only to the team, not Dallas compared to other teams).
I really really doubt Dallas will be in on JVR. I would much rather keep our first this year in the event we DO fall out of the playoff race and we don't really have any prospects that might intrigue Philly, except maybe Scott Glennie since they have his buttbuddy Brayden Schenn.

The asking price for JVR is probably entirely too high for what we should be able to afford.

Old
02-02-2012, 12:04 PM
English stars fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
I really really doubt Dallas will be in on JVR. I would much rather keep our first this year in the event we DO fall out of the playoff race and we don't really have any prospects that might intrigue Philly, except maybe Scott Glennie since they have his buttbuddy Brayden Schenn.

The asking price for JVR is probably entirely too high for what we should be able to afford.
JVR is also currently injured so not the player to be going after for a playoff run...

Realistically we need to add at least 2 big pieces to go past the first round this year, so unless we can pull that off and not sell the farm doing it, then I say we stand pat or just make a minor depth move at deadline day.

No point selling the future when for once the prospect cupboard looks so promising.

Old
02-02-2012, 03:45 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Quote:
And I don't really want Chris Stewart, he's just another Ott or Morrow type. There are better options in the top 6 than Chris Stewart out there, I think.
Actually, I'm going to revise my position. If you could move Morrow for Stewart, I would do it.

Old
02-02-2012, 05:11 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Stewart is a lot closer to James Neal than Steve Ott or this version of Morrow. Depending on the cost I would be all over trying to nab him from the Blues. Dude is 24 and has two seasons of 28 goals, one of which came just last year in only 62 games. So he is having a down year on a deep team, it happens. Chris Stewart is exactly the type of player I would want to see the Stars go after if they actually want to compete now and in the future.

Old
02-02-2012, 08:33 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Just as a hypothetical exercise, if by some miracle they were buyers planning to seriously compete in the playoffs they would need to target a top-6 LW. Quite honestly they would need 2 top-6 LWs. I would try to keep Nemeth but any other prospect could be fair game.

X - Benn - Ryder
X - Ribs - Loui
Morrow - Fiddler - Dvorak
Nystrom - Wandell - Ott
I put Oleksiak in that same category. Those two together could be a very impressive pair.

Old
02-02-2012, 08:46 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Question. Wrong place, but seems OT right now.

In 2-3 years, assuming both Nemeth and Oleksiak go on to become top 4 defensemen, that leaves us with 5. Goose, Larsen, Daley, Nemeth, Oleksiak. Obviously, that's great, and the last spot can't be that hard to fill, but if they all end up with 3+ million contracts, who goes? (I know its a tough question and probably unanswerable because of Oleksiak and Nemeth's potential (Larsen as well), but just curious right now.)

Anyways, who in the league is *somewhat?* available that plays a Justin Williams type game? I've always liked his game and I think a guy like him would be a great compliment to Benn.

Old
02-02-2012, 09:41 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Question. Wrong place, but seems OT right now.

In 2-3 years, assuming both Nemeth and Oleksiak go on to become top 4 defensemen, that leaves us with 5. Goose, Larsen, Daley, Nemeth, Oleksiak. Obviously, that's great, and the last spot can't be that hard to fill, but if they all end up with 3+ million contracts, who goes? (I know its a tough question and probably unanswerable because of Oleksiak and Nemeth's potential (Larsen as well), but just curious right now.)
You thank the hockey Gods we're finally done with mediocre D, and you don't do a damn thing. Like you said, this is assuming they meet their potential. You need 6 D and it doesn't matter if 5 of them are "Top 4" players.

The cap is going up, and even if goes down some with this next CBA it'll just start climbing year after year. If you look at today's value for offensive D and defensive D. Goli and Larsen probably top out at $4.5 to $5.5 million players, and Oleksiak and Nemeth would be $4 to $5 million players. Daley is never going over $3.5 million.

Again ... that's all considering they hit their potential, but worst case scenario you have less than $25 million invested in 5 defensemen which really isn't much at all.

You have no reason whatsoever to trade a player because of the cap in this situation.

Old
02-02-2012, 09:57 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
You thank the hockey Gods we're finally done with mediocre D, and you don't do a damn thing. Like you said, this is assuming they meet their potential. You need 6 D and it doesn't matter if 5 of them are "Top 4" players.

The cap is going up, and even if goes down some with this next CBA it'll just start climbing year after year. If you look at today's value for offensive D and defensive D. Goli and Larsen probably top out at $4.5 to $5.5 million players, and Oleksiak and Nemeth would be $4 to $5 million players. Daley is never going over $3.5 million.

Again ... that's all considering they hit their potential, but worst case scenario you have less than $25 million invested in 5 defensemen which really isn't much at all.

You have no reason whatsoever to trade a player because of the cap in this situation.
Wow, I never even really bothered to do the math. That'd be great. I think if they both become top 4s, Fistric and Klingberg rotate in and out depending on our opponents/what we need. Fistric for a physical game or when we need better defense, Klingberg for a team with a horrible PK or where we need more offense.

It won't work like that but I can dream.

And that's not even including Dillon, Vance, and Jokipakka, or anyone else we might acquire until then.

Goligoski - Oleksiak
Larsen - Nemeth
Daley - Fistric/Klingberg

Now that could take us places.

Old
02-02-2012, 10:01 PM
BigG44

Since you're projecting in the future .... counting on Fistric to rotate in and out probably isn't wise. He'll be an UFA soon (I think Summer 2013). He's either getting a commitment from the Stars or taking his act on the road (see Grossman Decision 2012).

Old
02-02-2012, 10:08 PM
glovesave_35
Name

It'd be nice to extend Fistric for 3-4 years at something reasonable like $2 mil/yr. His warts are overblown and he's one of the difference makers on the team whose main contributions don't come in the tangible form of offense. He rubbed out Bobby Ryan last night on more than one occasion and it definitely impacted the feel of the game. Grossman is solid but he's not so solid that I can't live without him, especially for what the biggest payday of his career will likely be.

Old
02-02-2012, 10:11 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Grossman is solid but he's not so solid that I can't live without him, especially for what the biggest payday of his career will likely be.
If anything, this season, he has shown we can more than live without him. Don't think there would be a single person that would be upset if he wasn't a Star next year.

Old
02-02-2012, 10:15 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:

Honestly I'd love JVR. I think he'd be perfect here. I think Joe should really pursue a big time deal like that. Pounce on someone like JVR if Philly has him in play.

Old
02-02-2012, 10:19 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Grossman + Glennie won't get it done, though, and there's no way I'd give up what it'd cost.

Again, though, he just isn't what we need.

Old
02-02-2012, 10:36 PM
Kearsley21

Toronto Maple Leafs fan here i come in peace

iv heard some trade rumors about Erikson (ik its Toronto so how much truth could it really have ) and im not like most leaf fans where they think they can trade a 4th a mid level prospect and mike komisarek for carter so i like to come to other teams Forums and see what you guys think.. so if u guys are to be Sellers at this deadine (which based on the standings and wwhat u guys are all saying on this thread im gonna say you wont be )
what would it cost ???

Old
02-02-2012, 10:41 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kearsley21 View Post

iv heard some trade rumors about Erikson (ik its Toronto so how much truth could it really have ) and im not like most leaf fans where they think they can trade a 4th a mid level prospect and mike komisarek for carter so i like to come to other teams Forums and see what you guys think.. so if u guys are to be Sellers at this deadine (which based on the standings and wwhat u guys are all saying on this thread im gonna say you wont be )
what would it cost ???
Eriksson isn't going anywhere.

Old
02-02-2012, 10:42 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kearsley21 View Post

what would it cost ???
Please leave in peace.

Old
02-03-2012, 12:01 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Anything, and I mean anything, we can get for Grossman will be a positive at this point.

Old
02-03-2012, 01:16 AM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
If anything, this season, he has shown we can more than live without him. Don't think there would be a single person that would be upset if he wasn't a Star next year.
I wouldn't be upset if he wasn't a Star tomorrow. For anything, I don't even care anymore. At this point I'd keep Pardy over Grossman.

Old
02-03-2012, 01:42 AM
Sports
HFStars refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
I wouldn't be upset if he wasn't a Star tomorrow. For anything, I don't even care anymore. At this point I'd keep Pardy over Grossman.
Hold your tongue!

Old
02-03-2012, 01:45 AM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

Ya lets not get carried away. But there's no point keeping 8 D-men when 4 of them suck horribly. Ship him out.

Old
02-03-2012, 01:46 AM
Elysian
@AdamBath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undecided View Post
Hold your tongue!
We've seen much more of Grossman sucking than Pardy!

Well, because they'll actually sit Pardy but that's my point, they don't sit Grossman even though his play warrants it. Pardy can continue being the 7th D-man who almost never plays.

Old
02-03-2012, 01:47 AM
CRSeven
Ballon d'Or 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Please leave in peace.

Old
02-03-2012, 01:47 AM
Modo
Mo'Benn

What a fall from grace he's had.

I remember when he used to be, well, good, and brimming with potential.

Maybe it's still there, but it's been hard to see this season.