HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Trade Deadline

View Poll Results: Will the Stars do anything between now and the trade deadline?
Stars make at least one big move 21 35.00%
Stars make one or more small moves 32 53.33%
Stars do nothing 7 11.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2012, 01:40 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
I come in peace. How about Robidas and Petersen 4 Caron, Hamill, Arniel and Kampfer? If you want to substitute Souray 4 Robidas then scratch Caron.
Is Boychuk available?

Old
01-14-2012, 01:58 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
Is Boychuk available?
I'd like to get a better defensemen back, but that obviously won't happen with the way the teams are right now.

Khokhlachev is a guy I'd be quite interested in. With your depth at center (Seguin, Krejci, Bergeron, Savard if he somehow ever returns), I really don't see him fitting in long term with the Bruins.

But I just don't see these two as good trading partners. We'd need salary coming back, and I doubt we'd get that.

Old
01-14-2012, 04:34 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

So since they took off first and 2nd period do you guys think they'll actually play the 3rd?

Wow howd I wind up in this thread?

Last edited by Elysian: 01-14-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old
01-14-2012, 05:00 PM
Fly Like a C5

Edit: Wrong thread.

Last edited by Fly Like a C5: 01-14-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old
01-14-2012, 05:59 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

Grossman keeps making the case for a trade...

Old
01-14-2012, 09:47 PM
don

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
We'd need salary coming back, and I'd rather get a better center prospect than a lot of depth prospects. Not saying the value isn't there, but it seems more like quantity over quality. I'm a big fan of Caron, but we couldn't do this, and even if we could, I'd rather not.

Understand. You are close to the minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
Is Boychuk available?
A big hell no to that.

Old
01-15-2012, 11:09 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Obviously, we'll only be missing both Benn and Ribs for ~5 games, which normally wouldn't kill a season, but for us, I think it will. We'll be lucky to get 3 points on this stretch. It still won't happen, but if there's ever a time to sell off our vets, a couple weeks from now (baring some absolutely insane miracle) will be the best time possible. We'll be getting everyone back, so losing them won't hurt as much, we'll pretty much be out of it, and their value should be at it's highest for this season. And with this draft being so deep, a high pick/8+ picks will definitely help for the future.

Anyone else see this?

But Nieuwy won't make it happen. I'm more than willing to bet on that. Hopefully we'll make a bigger splash than Roman for Esposito, though.

Old
01-15-2012, 11:37 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

This team needs a big splash no matter what. Niewy has to recognize this crew with these injuries and these inconsistencies isn't goign to make it in the playoffs alone. He either needs to add a significant piece or probably do the smart thing and sell at the deadline. There's so many buying teams this year with all the parity, and its such a deep draft. I think this is a great opportunity to sell off the aging vets for great prospects/picks at overpriced values due to so many teams being still in it. Then next year we get much younger, bring up some guys like Fraser and Dillon, and see where a youth movement takes us.

If he doesn't do that, then he needs to add big. There can be no middle ground with this club.

Old
01-15-2012, 11:40 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

Quote:
Obviously, we'll only be missing both Benn and Ribs for ~5 games, which normally wouldn't kill a season, but for us, I think it will. We'll be lucky to get 3 points on this stretch. It still won't happen, but if there's ever a time to sell off our vets, a couple weeks from now (baring some absolutely insane miracle) will be the best time possible. We'll be getting everyone back, so losing them won't hurt as much, we'll pretty much be out of it, and their value should be at it's highest for this season. And with this draft being so deep, a high pick/8+ picks will definitely help for the future.

Anyone else see this?

But Nieuwy won't make it happen. I'm more than willing to bet on that. Hopefully we'll make a bigger splash than Roman for Esposito, though.
Interesting you used an odd number of points since we know the Stars can't take it to overtime

Old
01-15-2012, 11:48 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Interesting you used an odd number of points since we know the Stars can't take it to overtime
Oh, I was assuming we'd blow a lead against a tired team in the third or something.

You know you're screwed when Wandell is your #1 center for two weeks.

Old
01-16-2012, 12:02 AM
Elysian
@AdamBath

Quote:
Oh, I was assuming we'd blow a lead against a tired team in the third or something.

You know you're screwed when Wandell is your #1 center for two weeks.
The way this season has gone I don't even have the energy to panic. Just enjoy any win we can squeek out and forget the rest...

Old
01-16-2012, 08:38 AM
MB94
@MBFarina94

TBH 24-18-1 is a pretty good record, but the West is just damn to tight. I still think we can make the playoffs, we have 2-3 games in hand on almost everyteam. We just gotta find a way to get points and go on a streak, and IMO we can still do it without Ribs and Benn.

Old
01-16-2012, 10:11 AM
ScubaSteve*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB Stars View Post
TBH 24-18-1 is a pretty good record, but the West is just damn to tight. I still think we can make the playoffs, we have 2-3 games in hand on almost everyteam. We just gotta find a way to get points and go on a streak, and IMO we can still do it without Ribs and Benn.
We're on pace for 93 points, which will be good for 9th or 10th. For the fourth year in a row. Congrats, we're officially the Florida Panthers of the Western Conference.

Old
01-16-2012, 11:33 AM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
We're on pace for 93 points, which will be good for 9th or 10th. For the fourth year in a row. Congrats, we're officially the Florida Panthers of the Western Conference.
We should start a tradition of throwing armadillos on the ice

Old
01-16-2012, 01:48 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB Stars View Post
The only problem is we're not going 11-3 again at any point in the second half. We're like under .500 since that hot streak.

Old
01-16-2012, 03:03 PM
Bennrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
The only problem is we're not going 11-3 again at any point in the second half. We're like under .500 since that hot streak.
I'm thinking were going to have to come up with another 11-3 streak to manage to make the playoffs this year

Old
01-16-2012, 03:42 PM
glovesave_35
Name

After three years of similar circumstances I think this is the year they finally need to bite the bullet and make some deadline decisions for the future, not the present. Obviously the team can't just "trade vets" without taking money back because of our cap situation but there are ways to get creative. This sniffing the playoffs, maybe they will maybe they won't act is getting old. We're all horny for meaningful hockey in late Spring, but the current path the organization is on is one that basically necessitates at least two of our prospects of the Chiasson, R. Smith, Klingberg variety reaching the absolute pinnacle of their potential. Even then those dividends won't be seen for another 2-4 years minimum.

In the current NHL landscape there seems to be very little that separates the 4th seed from the 10th seed in the conference. A shootout win or loss here or there can determine who gets into the tournament, and for the past few years the Stars have been on the short end of the stick. I really like the moves Nieuwendyk made during the offseason (let's just tack on the Nystrom pickup in there as well). We need more of that type of big-picture decision-making. We're set up pretty well going into the offseason with a new owner in place. I don't even want him to start paying the big bucks yet. The last thing we need is a summer like Buffalo had. But what it does is gives the organization flexibility to make "hockey moves." This thing can't keep moving forward crossing their collective fingers that nobody "important" gets majorly injured.

Talk to the veterans and let them know there is no longer a short term plan to win in place, but a Texas Rangers build from within around a solid core type of plan that sees an actual true winner take hold in a couple of years. Thank you for your service Robidas, Morrow, Grossman, Ribeiro (maybe), Fistric, Souray and pretty much anybody else not named Benn or Eriksson. Rip the band aid off real quick. Just do it already.

/rant

Old
01-16-2012, 03:56 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Talk to the veterans and let them know there is no longer a short term plan to win in place, but a Texas Rangers build from within around a solid core type of plan that sees an actual true winner take hold in a couple of years. Thank you for your service Robidas, Morrow, Grossman, Ribeiro (maybe), Fistric, Souray and pretty much anybody else not named Benn or Eriksson. Rip the band aid off real quick. Just do it already.
Unfortunately I agree. I'd keep Riberio around to be part of the rebuild till we can get another quality Center in the NHL, but this is the best possible year to do it. Everyone's a buyer, really deep draft, and we're a longshot to make it in over the other teams in the West. Hope to do a mini-rebuild and be like Ottawa next year.

Old
01-16-2012, 04:03 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Unfortunately I agree. I'd keep Riberio around to be part of the rebuild till we can get another quality Center in the NHL, but this is the best possible year to do it. Everyone's a buyer, really deep draft, and we're a longshot to make it in over the other teams in the West. Hope to do a mini-rebuild and be like Ottawa next year.
I hear you on maybe keeping Ribeiro. It's kind of an odd situation where you don't want to gut the team entirely but at the same time if you're going to go the strip-down route then maybe it's best to be all in and get as many chips as you can. The possible risk in all of this is sending the wrong message to Benn and Eriksson about what kind of organization the Dallas Stars are and how committed they are to winning. Let them be part of the brain trust to a degree; keep them involved so that they know the plan and that there is a plan, that the team isn't just going in full on suck mode.

Old
01-16-2012, 04:14 PM
Bennrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I hear you on maybe keeping Ribeiro. It's kind of an odd situation where you don't want to gut the team entirely but at the same time if you're going to go the strip-down route then maybe it's best to be all in and get as many chips as you can. The possible risk in all of this is sending the wrong message to Benn and Eriksson about what kind of organization the Dallas Stars are and how committed they are to winning. Let them be part of the brain trust to a degree; keep them involved so that they know the plan and that there is a plan, that the team isn't just going in full on suck mode.
I don't think there is any way we go into rebuild mode now that we have an owner and people are coming to games its just not going to happen as much as we on this board would like it to.

Old
01-16-2012, 04:47 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennrocks View Post
I don't think there is any way we go into rebuild mode now that we have an owner and people are coming to games its just not going to happen as much as we on this board would like it to.
Not talking about an Edmonton style rebuild, I mean more like Ottawa where they got rid of some vets and brought kids up to see what they could do.

Old
01-16-2012, 05:47 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Yeah, it's not an either/or thing. The way things are in the NHL and have been over the last five or so years shows that A) the difference between playoff team and top ten draft pick is negligible, and B) the turn-around from being a veteran seller one year to legit playoff team isn't really that long. I'm not even advocating doing anything severe or deviating from the stated goal by the owner which is to be a self-sufficient team that produces talent (enough talent to win) from within.

You don't want to be a perennial seller but one year where you are already in the process of trying to win over/back local fans...getting rid of some "glory days" holdovers (mostly Morrow in that case but mostly old regime guys) isn't a bad thing, even from a marketing perspective. With the right moves (which are not a given) this team could trade veterans this year and have a better record overall by this time next season. Acquire all the draft picks you can in a deep draft and either go for quantity of selections or package some assets to move up and grab a high caliber prospect toward the top.

I think showing fans and potential fans that you're not paying them lip-service would be a fair way to go. A clean slate in this case isn't a bad thing. After watching this team have specific reasons for not reaching the playoffs the last few years at some point you have to take a survey of the recent history and make a decision based on net results. This team and this organization have some bright spots but all in all what we have seen the last few years is a mediocre hockey team and as consumers, a less than satisfactory product.

Old
01-20-2012, 11:21 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

So NJD go Ponikarovsky for a 4th. I'm not a fan of that guy in the least, but why the **** couldn't we pull a move like that? A 4th is nothing for a winger with potential top 6 upside.

Old
01-20-2012, 11:37 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
I'd rather have the 4th round pick.

Old
01-20-2012, 11:56 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
I'd rather have the 4th round pick.
This. Poni does not have top 6 potential, and is definitely not what we need.

Sova was definitely the more valuable piece in that trade, though, IYAM.

Closed Thread