HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Your View on the Coyotes

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-06-2012, 10:33 PM
  #1
awfulwaffle
Registered User
 
awfulwaffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 6,291
vCash: 500
Your View on the Coyotes

I'm posting this on every team's page for the Pacific Division(Ducks, Kings, Sharks, Stars).

I would just like to know, would you miss the Coyotes as a common opponent each year if they moved, or would you like them to stay. I actually haven't looked up the realignment, but I believe we would all be stay in the same "conference" as I believe they are calling them, except the Stars? This is more just about would you like the Coyotes to leave and go somewhere else, or do you appreciate the "rivalry" that has occurred over time?

I do realize other teams have created bigger rivalries more than others, but we do reside in the same division, and most games are fairly close and matter to a much bigger degree.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:36 PM
  #2
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 17,892
vCash: 157
We really don't have any big rivals within the Pacific. San Jose and LA are always great games, and we absolutely hate the Ducks. I'm okay with the Coyotes, they're kind of like us in a way, being a bubble team and struggling recently. Wouldn't miss them much tbh, though.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:37 PM
  #3
Bennrocks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
I'm posting this on every team's page for the Pacific Division(Ducks, Kings, Sharks, Stars).

I would just like to know, would you miss the Coyotes as a common opponent each year if they moved, or would you like them to stay. I actually haven't looked up the realignment, but I believe we would all be stay in the same "conference" as I believe they are calling them, except the Stars? This is more just about would you like the Coyotes to leave and go somewhere else, or do you appreciate the "rivalry" that has occurred over time?

I do realize other teams have created bigger rivalries more than others, but we do reside in the same division, and most games are fairly close and matter to a much bigger degree.
I don't think that Phoenix is currently in a position to succeed and would rather see them move to Seattle or QC

Bennrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:41 PM
  #4
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?
 
piqued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 30,627
vCash: 27750
I have no opinion on the Coyotes.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:47 PM
  #5
HockeyGambit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 48
vCash: 500
There isn't any rivalry at all really among Dallas and Coyotes, Dallas has bigger rivalries with Boston and Philly and they only meet once a year now. To me I feel kind of indifferent of the Coyotes I don't hate them or like them they're just there.

That said I'm glad the two teams will not be in the same conference next season, no offense to Coyotes fans but pretty much for the most part every Stars Coyotes games are the most boring games of the season to watch as a Stars fan.

HockeyGambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:52 PM
  #6
awfulwaffle
Registered User
 
awfulwaffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 6,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGambit View Post
There isn't any rivalry at all really among Dallas and Coyotes, Dallas has bigger rivalries with Boston and Philly and they only meet once a year now. To me I feel kind of indifferent of the Coyotes I don't hate them or like them they're just there.

That said I'm glad the two teams will not be in the same conference next season, no offense to Coyotes fans but pretty much for the most part every Stars Coyotes games are the most boring games of the season to watch as a Stars fan.
Oh I totally agree. I don't really feel the Coyotes have a true rivalry with any pacific division team. I just wanted to get a viewpoint from other fans in our division at this point. I saw the NHLPA is trying to block the realignment, which would keep what is there now if we stayed in Phoenix(which I don't feel we would). I wish over time being in the same division the Coyotes and other teams built up a rivalry per se, but it just didn't happen.

I would have loved something like the Avs/Wings from '97 between the Coyotes and any other team in the Pacific! Would make a sellout easily!

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:58 PM
  #7
________
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 4,641
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
I'd like the Coyotes more if they had a different coach.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:47 PM
  #8
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn
 
Modo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,140
vCash: 50
Does Phoenix really have a "rivalry" with any team, let alone ones in their own division?

I honestly can't think of one.

Maybe the Tippett factor adds a little extra weight to their matchups, but for the most part I don't think there's anything there between the two sides that would classify it as a rivalry.

__________________
If you're telekinetic and you know it, clap my hands!
Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 01:09 AM
  #9
Elysian
@AdamBath
 
Elysian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 6,835
vCash: 5355
Phoenix has never fit in the hockey world IMO.

Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 03:54 AM
  #10
Kritter471
Registered User
 
Kritter471's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 7,689
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
I hate (haaaate) the howl sound effect but otherwise am fairly indifferent to the Yotes. Heck, I'll even root for them in the playoffs over most other possible choices.

However, I'd much rather see them keep a team than it go to QC or anywhere else save Houston, which is only because that would benefit the Stars immensely. I think Phoenix, when given an owner who isn't a crook, is a solid market and a much more potentially lucrative one than rehashed smaller Canadian markets.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 01:28 PM
  #11
WhoahNow
Registered User
 
WhoahNow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 483
vCash: 500
They exist...

WhoahNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 03:34 PM
  #12
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?
 
piqued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 30,627
vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
However, I'd much rather see them keep a team than it go to QC or anywhere else save Houston, which is only because that would benefit the Stars immensely. I think Phoenix, when given an owner who isn't a crook, is a solid market and a much more potentially lucrative one than rehashed smaller Canadian markets.
I would agree with that if it weren't for their arena being in such a strange location. I'm sure it's been hashed out many times in the innumerable Coyotes threads on the Business board that I have no interest in reading, but I have no idea why they chose to build that thing in the middle of nowhere. People will go out of their way to see 8 football games, sure. 41 hockey games is a different story. There was an unmistakable excitement around the Coyotes back during the Roenick/Tkachuk days when they were actually in Phoenix. That's all gone now. It could've worked... now I'm not so sure.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 07:01 PM
  #13
Rune Forumwalker
Registered User
 
Rune Forumwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,559
vCash: 500
The Coyotes are just kind of there. Now ten years ago when they had Roenick, Tkachuk, and the bad blood which culminated with Hatcher/Roenick was the only time there was a bit of a rivalry or even a blip on the radar.

IMO San Jose and LA are the two biggest rivalries in the division. SJ because for a while there all the games were really good, especially the one to end the season in 07-08 and the playoff series shortly after that.

LA because the past few years the team just plays horrible against them, and the one specific game in which we gave up a 4 goal lead and LA won in OT.

I don't really see Anaheim as much as a rivalry as games against San Jose or LA, more than Phoenix, sure, but besides the playoff series in 08 in which we destroyed them, just sort of meh. But not boring like games against Phoenix, which are the only true "snorefest" if you will. Well for me at least.

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 08:51 PM
  #14
vofty
Registered User
 
vofty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 3,410
vCash: 500
The truth is I can't really hate the Coyotes because I feel so bad for them and for right or wrong I don't view them as a "real" threat. To me they are the Charlie Brown of the hockey world. I'll let Wiki tell it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Brown
Quote:
Charlie Brown is a lovable loser,[2] a child possessed of endless determination and hope, but who is ultimately dominated by his insecurities[3] and a "permanent case of bad luck," and is often taken advantage of by his peers.
And on some level I guess I identify with the fans, obviously what the Stars fans went through with ownership is no where on the same level as what Coyote fans have been through but the endless Canadian fans thinking everything is better/successful in the great white north is enough to make someone throw something across the room.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 03:22 AM
  #15
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
 
hairylikebear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vofty View Post
And on some level I guess I identify with the fans, obviously what the Stars fans went through with ownership is no where on the same level as what Coyote fans have been through but the endless Canadian fans thinking everything is better/successful in the great white north is enough to make someone throw something across the room.
This sums up my thoughts nicely and I would also like to add that I enjoy the Coyotes simply because of how effectively their existence trolls arrogant Canadian fans.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:15 PM
  #16
LoneStarHockey
Registered User
 
LoneStarHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 690
vCash: 500
I don't mind the Coyotes, I hate them the least when compared to the Sharks, Kings, Ducks. Stars/Coyotes are usually pretty good games and always seem to come down to the final minutes, but I don't sense a big time "rivalry" when we play them.

LoneStarHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:55 AM
  #17
Stars99Lobo37
Moderator
Away Games - 13
 
Stars99Lobo37's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sec 314 - Richardson
Country: United States
Posts: 46,667
vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Does Phoenix really have a "rivalry" with any team, let alone ones in their own division?

I honestly can't think of one.
Detroit would be the only team possible. And I think it's safe to say the Wings have enough rivals on their own.

I feel for the fans that are there. But that's about the only thing I feel for that franchise. I have no opinion honestly. Would love if we were rivals but eh. Clearly not.

__________________
"Now when people ask me where I'm from, I tell them Texas. Dallas, Texas." - Mike Modano, March 8th, 2014

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.