HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rick Nash (Pipedream Thread)

Old
01-05-2012, 04:06 PM
malPHONEY

vCash: 500
Rick Nash (Pipedream Thread)

He's young, he's physical, he's productive, he's signed long-term, he's high character. Most importantly of all, he would be the perfect linemate for Tavares.

I think we all know by now that he's not a a player to build AROUND. Hence, the horrible record of the CBJ this year. But the guy has produced between .8 and 1 PPG with a subpar supporting cast. I think he can break 80 with the Islanders while providing a physical presence that will go a LONG WAY.

And he's willing to go anywhere most importantly (will waive NTC). After all, he did sign long term with one of the few teams worse than ours.

He has quite the expensive contract, but we have to overpay to get merely above average players. It's not like that $ is being spent elsewhere. It's not just $8M for himself, but IMO for boosting 1st line's performance and overall depth of the team.

I've always been one to rudely stomp on people's star acquisition proposals. But with all of the rumors and the aforementioned info, it just seems more realistic.

What would it take?

Matt Moulson (So CBJ can have an impact player)
Anders Nilsson/Kevin Poulin (The entire CBJ organization appears to be a goalie wasteland)
2012 1st

CBJ doesn't NEED to give him up, so the offer may not be enough.

Edit: The more I read into it, the less he looks available. We'd need to give them a quality D in return.

It was fun to have hope for a few seconds though

Last edited by malPHONEY: 01-05-2012 at 04:13 PM.
malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 04:10 PM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

well your pipedream is now an inch closer
http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...of-career.html

M Moulson Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by malPHONEY View Post
He's young, he's physical, he's productive, he's signed long-term, he's high character. Most importantly of all, he would be the perfect linemate for Tavares.

I think we all know by now that he's not a a player to build AROUND. Hence, the horrible record of the CBJ this year. But the guy has produced between .8 and 1 PPG with a subpar supporting cast. I think he can break 80 with the Islanders while providing a physical presence that will go a LONG WAY.

And he's willing to go anywhere most importantly (will waive NTC). After all, he did sign long term with one of the few teams worse than ours.

He has quite the expensive contract, but we have to overpay to get merely above average players. It's not like that $ is being spent elsewhere. It's not just $8M for himself, but IMO for boosting 1st line's performance and overall depth of the team.

I've always been one to rudely stomp on people's star acquisition proposals. But with all of the rumors and the aforementioned info, it just seems more realistic.

What would it take?

Matt Moulson (So CBJ can have an impact player)
Anders Nilsson/Kevin Poulin (The entire CBJ organization appears to be a goalie wasteland)
2012 1st

CBJ doesn't NEED to give him up, so the offer may not be enough.
Not a chance. Thread is aptly named, but I think you know that.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 04:13 PM
StrongIslanders90

Grabner and Nino to start???

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 04:13 PM
malPHONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
Not a chance. Thread is aptly named, but I think you know that.
I just read more into it. Doesn't really make much sense to move him from CBJ's standpoint. He's young and they're not exactly strapped for $. We don't have the D to make a trade.

Alright guys, I made a horrible trade proposal. Let me have it lol

Old
01-05-2012, 04:16 PM
seafoam
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

vCash: 50
The biggest question is the contract. With saying that I think it's worth every penny. I would give up one of Poulin, Nilsson, or even Montoya, a first, a extended Frans, Grabs, and Nelson or Bailey.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 04:18 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

A Nash/Tavares combo would absolutely wreak havoc against the league. I'm sprouting wood just thinking about it.

It's too bad I'm getting older and getting ever so closer to being a 'one pump chump' so the feeling does away ever so quickly.

Pipedream is a perfect descriptor for this thread.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 04:21 PM
Isles Junkie

Parise
Nash
Brown

my short list of perfect forwards for this team at this time.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by malPHONEY View Post
I just read more into it. Doesn't really make much sense to move him from CBJ's standpoint. He's young and they're not exactly strapped for $. We don't have the D to make a trade.

Alright guys, I made a horrible trade proposal. Let me have it lol
You will NEVER be a GM. You SUCK. You're horrible at everything! You couldn't even manage the sock section at Modell's. Give up your stupid dreams, kid!

Just kidding. I think anyone would be crazy not to want to find a way to get Rick Nash. He's one of the most ideal wingers for Tavares. I just don't think that we have the ammunition to acquire him. Having said that, I think he will be traded this season, and I think he will go to a rival. I don't know how they would make it work in terms of who goes the other way, but I think he could go to the Rangers. If so, I would think that Stepan would have to be part of that deal. It'd be interesting.

Old
01-05-2012, 04:43 PM
seafoam
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

vCash: 50
Quote:
You will NEVER be a GM. You SUCK. You're horrible at everything! You couldn't even manage the sock section at Modell's. Give up your stupid dreams, kid!

Just kidding. I think anyone would be crazy not to want to find a way to get Rick Nash. He's one of the most ideal wingers for Tavares. I just don't think that we have the ammunition to acquire him. Having said that, I think he will be traded this season, and I think he will go to a rival. I don't know how they would make it work in terms of who goes the other way, but I think he could go to the Rangers. If so, I would think that Stepan would have to be part of that deal. It'd be interesting.
This, but I would definitely try...

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 04:45 PM
Isles Junkie

The Isles have the players to make it work for the Jackets. But dealing off a guy like MacDonald & Hamonic is robbing peter to pay paul. If there was some way to do it while keeping Hamonic & MacDonald, then the Isles should do it. Strome, Nino, one of the goalies, Lee, Moulson, Grabner, maybe Okposo etc...they should all be made available for a guy like Nash. But they really can't afford to give up Hamonic. I can see making the MacD available, but not Travis.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 04:50 PM
malPHONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
The Isles have the players to make it work for the Jackets. But dealing off a guy like MacDonald & Hamonic is robbing peter to pay paul. If there was some way to do it while keeping Hamonic & MacDonald, then the Isles should do it. Strome, Nino, one of the goalies, Lee, Moulson, Grabner, maybe Okposo etc...they should all be made available for a guy like Nash. But they really can't afford to give up Hamonic. I can see making the MacD available, but not Travis.
Unfortunately Hamonic is the only top pairing D guy we have IMO (which is why we can't trade him)

And while Poulin/Nilsson are good prospects, they aren't TOP goalie prospects.

Our only hope is if they would be content with one of our more abundant offensive prospects instead.

Old
01-05-2012, 05:00 PM
kasper11

He has a no movement clause. Good luck convincing him to waive it to go from bottom feeder CBJ to bottom feeder NYI.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 05:02 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
He has a no movement clause. Good luck convincing him to waive it to go from bottom feeder CBJ to bottom feeder NYI.
BAZINGA!

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 05:04 PM
blitzkriegs

They should can the GM and the coach, before trading their franchise player.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 05:04 PM
malPHONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...n-scott-arniel

Quote:
“The city of Columbus deserves a winner and deserves a good product on the ice. If it comes to that—like you said, all speculation—but if they don’t want me here, they want to move me? I’m not going to do something where it’s going to hurt the franchise just because I have that in my contract.”

Old
01-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

2012 1st and 2nd round pick, Matt Moulson and Poulin or Nilsson should be all

I love Nash and feel he would be awesome here for JT but I dont see how he is worth a ridiculous amount of players. They get Moulson who scores to compensate and 2 picks to help there rebuild as well as a top goalie prospect.

Dutch Frost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 05:23 PM
ScaredStreit

I'd love to get Nash, but I don't see him waiving his no-trade clause to go to the Isles.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 05:23 PM
mrislander82

As much of a pipedream this is..

If we could acquire any wing in the league, Id choose him over the rest.

By far the prototypical player I want future Islanders to mold into.

Id give up anyone on the roster minus Tavares for him.

Id say:

2012 1st pick
Dehaan
Koskinen
Okposo/Moulson/Grabner (thier choice)

mrislander82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 05:34 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
I'd love to get Nash, but I don't see him waiving his no-trade clause to go to the Isles.
Why not, he will be playing with John Tavares... Thats right boys we have a #1 player on this team and he is our attraction. That is how we sell it.. Were building around JT and Mr Nash you can be our big piece of the puzzle. Were not Columbus with there horrible draft choices, We have Ryan Strome who is also up and coming. As well as Nino and we feel that this team is young and its going to be a part of something great. Unfortunately Garth is a horrible salesmen

Dutch Frost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 05:36 PM
Otto91

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrislander82 View Post
As much of a pipedream this is..

If we could acquire any wing in the league, Id choose him over the rest.

By far the prototypical player I want future Islanders to mold into.

Id give up anyone on the roster minus Tavares for him.

Id say:

2012 1st pick
Dehaan
Koskinen
Okposo/Moulson/Grabner (thier choice)

Would not give up Okposo or Moulson and No one is taking Grabner with his current numbers and contract size

I would Give Up Nino

Otto91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 05:39 PM
mrislander82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto91 View Post
Would not give up Okposo or Moulson and No one is taking Grabner with his current numbers and contract size

I would Give Up Nino
What do you mean you wouldn't give up Moulson or Okposo for RICK NASH?

You have to give to get, and I think either one of those are fine.

Grabner's contract is not bad at all. (Though its back loaded)

NHL Numbers has him cap hit 3m this year

then 1, 2, 3, 4 the following years.

Hes not having a great season, but im sure no one would shrug him off with his explosive speed.

Old
01-05-2012, 05:47 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
Why not, he will be playing with John Tavares... Thats right boys we have a #1 player on this team and he is our attraction. That is how we sell it.. Were building around JT and Mr Nash you can be our big piece of the puzzle. Were not Columbus with there horrible draft choices, We have Ryan Strome who is also up and coming. As well as Nino and we feel that this team is young and its going to be a part of something great. Unfortunately Garth is a horrible salesmen
He's 28, I believe. He wants to win. Think of Kirk Mueller, but under different circumstances. Nash would not want to spend his career on a rebuilding bottom feeder only to go to another one. The guy wants to go to a winner if he waives a no trade. I see him going to the Rangers, Penguins, Flyers, or Kings.

Old
01-05-2012, 05:48 PM
Bauer Warrior*

... And I'll bet the BJ's trade Jeff Carter, too.

Old
01-05-2012, 05:56 PM
mrislander82

Quote:
He's 28, I believe. He wants to win. Think of Kirk Mueller, but under different circumstances. Nash would not want to spend his career on a rebuilding bottom feeder only to go to another one. The guy wants to go to a winner if he waives a no trade. I see him going to the Rangers, Penguins, Flyers, or Kings.
I really really hope not the rags