HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps @ Sharks 10:30 p.m. EST 1/7/12

Old
01-08-2012, 12:14 AM
hb11xchamps

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I am ok with the loss. We showed a little fight and Ward finally scored. Nick out just makes me think we should have tossed Sjorgen a bone on instead of Eakin on one of his callups. Not that he would be a savior, but he instantly be our big body at C for these west coast teams.

Next to sneak in for a callup if possible, Holtby. Lets keep him motivated. Heck, I think he may be our best goalie, to boot.
He has finally seemed to have settled down in Hershey and has been playing well as of late.

hb11xchamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:15 AM
txpd

alright RH. as usual. i am wrong. dale gave them the glare from the bench and they buckled and evened it up.

so...son of cain was right. it was a clean hit and ov screwed up. my apoligy to soc

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:17 AM
Berakos

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunksuperhero View Post
the problem with ovis fit imo is that he doesnt do it if its any other cap on the end of the hit. and if im right in that...thats f'ing childish, not captain material.
assuming your talking about sticking up for other teammates instead of just backstrom and semin, Wideman took a low hit by Ruutu last year and Ovi went right after him.

Berakos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:21 AM
Herregud

I don't get how there can actually be people complaining about Ovi sticking up for his teammates.

Blows my mind. No one cares what problems anyone here might have with it, all that matters is that the players know that their captain is willing to put himself into the middle of anything for them.

He backed his team up with his physicality and his actual hockey play.

Fans sometimes. Eesh.

Herregud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:27 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunksuperhero View Post
the problem with ovis fit imo is that he doesnt do it if its any other cap on the end of the hit. and if im right in that...thats f'ing childish, not captain material.
No, the problem is that people here are so absolutely ****ing desperate to find something, anything to hang on Ovechkin for sticking up for a teammate. "Waah, it [20 foot charge] was a clean hit, he didn't respect da code that I invented for these situations". "Waah, he wouldn't have done the same for some other player on the team, what a scum bag". Here, let me try, "Waah, now thanks to Ovechkin's despicable assault of Winchester we can cross him off of our impact deadline pickup list. Oh no there goes the cup. Thanks a lot Ovenchicken"

Who the **** even needs Pens fans trolling our threads nowadays with a contingent like this.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:28 AM
capsfan528

mondays game is massive with florida playing vancouver and hopefully losing. Gotta look ahead to LA on monday!

capsfan528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:32 AM
Ninja Hertl
formerly sharkohol

Sharks fan coming in peace. Game was a lot closer than the score indicated. I've always been a caps fan since the Bondra days, and I hope you all do well. OV was a monster this game and had some good chances.

Ninja Hertl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:32 AM
mtylerjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Called totally incorrectly. The guy was gliding all the way in.
Yeah. Was going to mention this. No accelerating, no leaving his feet, no extra emphasis. wasnt late. Semin just did avery bad job of keeping his head up. A good clean hit that the refs over-reacted to, because it was semin, and because it looked so bad in real time.

That is a textbook clean hit. And it was awesome.

Anyone remember who the cap was that tried to take the cheap shot at winchester later in the period? Im too lazy to check the box score for the penalty.

Last edited by mtylerjr: 01-08-2012 at 12:39 AM.
mtylerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:43 AM
mtylerjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkohol View Post
Sharks fan coming in peace. Game was a lot closer than the score indicated. I've always been a caps fan since the Bondra days, and I hope you all do well. OV was a monster this game and had some good chances.
I was a caps fan growing up. I lived in DC until 1979. When I was 3 or 4 (around 1969), we lived in a little apartment complex called "Village in the woods" that I think was torn down when they built the Landover Capital Center (Center?) - I got stuck in the mud up to my knees in the spot where they built that rink, later. I understand that that's been torn down now too.

I think the last caps game I watched, after we moved to San Jose in 79 was a 4 overtime game that they lost in the mid or late 80s. I was so devestated that I stopped watching them. Then the sharks were created in 91 - been a fan ever since.

I still have a soft spot for the caps though.

mtylerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:59 AM
Foy

I'm glad Ovy went mental. The sharks were taking liberties with us all game long going back to the incredibly late hit on Hammer in the first.

What I didn't like was on the ensuing 4 on 4 right before the goal when Semin just stood in the middle of his own zone, with his hands on his hips upright. He was signalling to the sharks that he didn't care about playing D on this shift, and sure enough, someone literally walks around him for a goal.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 01:03 AM
Carlzner

LA lost 1-0 to the freaking blue jackets tonight...
We better beat them.

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 02:22 AM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by FY View Post
There is no one in the line-up with top line center skills. Larch is unfortunately our best option.
Its funny how things work out. Put Larch on the 3rd line and he looks good and and is a luxury we are happy to have. And look past the 4.5Mill contract. And then he is forced into the spot he was paid to play. And he looks awful.

Granted he was never expected to play C on the top line. But if he was even an average C2 he would look better at C1. All his talk late last season from him about playing his natural position really put GMGM in a hard spot.

Two or three season from now his 4.5Mill will not be that bad. But for now I am really not sure about it. He is the true jack of all trades and master of none of them.

But he always says the right thing. Just wish that was worth something.

Mr Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 02:35 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

That first period was one of the best tactical periods this team has ever shown. Such great teamwork.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 03:12 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

They did some good things. Tough to win in SJ.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 06:48 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

I still go back to the missed high stick on the SJ goal. Should have been a penalty and PP, but instead, the Sharks score.

The Caps were resilient to start the third, but with 5 D, playing in a tough building against a good team, they just couldn't keep up. There were a lot of positives from this game, just not the two points.

On to LA.

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 07:43 AM
Roughing

Time to LTIR Green. He's done for the year. I let him walk as well. Extend Wideman, keep Orlov up and add one vet. After that dump 55 for absolutely anything at all.

Roughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 08:06 AM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
That first period was one of the best tactical periods this team has ever shown. Such great teamwork.
The passing looked marvelous last night. In the first 2 periods. That PP was a thing of beauty. They played very sloppy in the 3rd. Fumbling the puck, not clearing. Defense as a whole looked like they wanted to go home or something.

No worries though. Didn't expect a win, haven't won there in almost 2 decades. Playing such a late game has got to throw the players off, very evident in the 3rd.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 08:30 AM
tycoonheart

About Green.

Did he suffer a setback or did he get Schultz'd?

Old
01-08-2012, 08:33 AM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
I'm glad Ovy went mental. The sharks were taking liberties with us all game long going back to the incredibly late hit on Hammer in the first.

What I didn't like was on the ensuing 4 on 4 right before the goal when Semin just stood in the middle of his own zone, with his hands on his hips upright. He was signalling to the sharks that he didn't care about playing D on this shift, and sure enough, someone literally walks around him for a goal.
There was nothing to it, vogue vogue vogue. Yeah I saw him there. Down low guarding the net, that is his not his strong suit. Down 3 young guns, and the lone one standing Semin who had just been trucked may very well have been looking to just get out alive. But it was no worse then some of the other goals down low.

If Nick is out for a prolonged time, Laich is going to put away his utility hats and be a scoring center, and earn his 6M income this year. Semin's D in front of our net will be low on the problem totem pole. Carlson's play down low is a bigger concern to me. He has been on for almost all our goals against the past week.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 09:38 AM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
No, the problem is that people here are so absolutely ****ing desperate to find something, anything to hang on Ovechkin for sticking up for a teammate. "Waah, it [20 foot charge] was a clean hit, he didn't respect da code that I invented for these situations". "Waah, he wouldn't have done the same for some other player on the team, what a scum bag". Here, let me try, "Waah, now thanks to Ovechkin's despicable assault of Winchester we can cross him off of our impact deadline pickup list. Oh no there goes the cup. Thanks a lot Ovenchicken"

Who the **** even needs Pens fans trolling our threads nowadays with a contingent like this.
tissue? you use irony with the term "wah" a lot which itself is hilariously ironic given how much you cry and whine in general about all things caps.

ovi bearhugged a 4th line scrub on the ice because his bumchum got run over. yay. party time.

Harvey Specter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 10:04 AM
tycoonheart

Well... here's the thing.

Most of the guys on the team can defend themselves. Semin's not the type of guy to tussle with anyone. If anyone needs defending, its Semin.

Old
01-08-2012, 10:06 AM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
About Green.

Did he suffer a setback or did he get Schultz'd?
Groin "tightened". Not sure if it's a big deal or not, may have just been precautionary. We will see. I missed the 2nd half of the game, but I thought we looked really good, especially without Backstrom and a not 100% Green. This loss doesn't bother me so much.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 10:18 AM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

I thought we put forth a great effort all things considered. Vokoun needs to be better. It kinda sucks that a good effort from us these days isn't enough to always win.

blokeyhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Langway
Proud Mediocrity

vCash: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughing View Post
Time to LTIR Green. He's done for the year. I let him walk as well. Extend Wideman, keep Orlov up and add one vet. After that dump 55 for absolutely anything at all.
Yeah, that seems like a reasonable course. Wasting away again in Potiville. Good stuff.

The Desjardins hit is what caused the 'tightness,' as he has zero idea how to anticipate and absorb a hit or protect himself out there.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 10:24 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by blokeyhighlander View Post
I thought we put forth a great effort all things considered. Vokoun needs to be better. It kinda sucks that a good effort from us these days isn't enough to always win.
good efforts from good teams against good teams giving good efforts isnt always enough to win. sharks got a bounce on the first goal. bank shot off the back boards off the goalie and trickles in. it made a difference. its how it goes.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote