HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Lundqvist- Similarities to Luongo, but no criticism

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2012, 04:38 AM
Al Bundy*

vCash: 500
Lundqvist- Similarities to Luongo, but no criticism

Henrik Lundqvist has a couple of similarities with Roberto Luongo:

Regarded as one of best goalies in league

Great goalie stats

Olympic Gold medal

Also, prior to last year, Luongo and Lundqvist had both never made it past round 2.

But how come Henrik doesn't get criticized and critiqued for not taking the Rangers farther into the playoffs and Luongo gets all the heat?

Lundqvist, for a guy considered by some as hockey's best goalie, has been outdueled in playoff series by Varlamov (including blowing a 2-0 and 3-1 series lead at the same time) and Neuvirth (esp. Coughing up a 3-0 led in game 4).

So why does Henrik get a free pass for not going farther in the playoffs whereas Luongo got crucified for doing the same thing? He is where Luongo was until last year (never made it to conference finals), only you never hear "choker" and stuff like this.

Oh, and if the Rangers make the Cup Finals and Lundqvist comes up short, how much heat would he get as opposed to the universal evisceration Luongo got in June?

Old
01-07-2012, 04:40 AM
Allen Degenerate
Embrace the Hate

vCash: 675
Because he doesn't have the Sedins or Kesler pumping in a hundred goals per year in front of him.

Old
01-07-2012, 04:40 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
vBookie Bookie

vCash: 3000
Lundqvist never choked. And just a warning, this thread won't last long with you not getting flamed at.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

NHL Standings Under Different Point Systems
Old
01-07-2012, 04:42 AM
EchoesoftheEighties
Wat a N00bnyk

Because Lundqvist is the only reason the Rangers can even make it to round 2. He carries his team year after year. Luongo lets them down year after year and Lundqvist doesn't have a first place team in front of him until this year. If the Rangers do damage this year it'll be because they actually have a team and not just Lundqvist.

Old
01-07-2012, 04:42 AM
bruinsfan46

Luongo has played on much more talented teams in Vancouver and is a few years later. It is a bit odd that Lundqvist's subpar playoff career kinda gets swept under the rug around here.

Old
01-07-2012, 04:44 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Because unlike loungo, Lundqvist didn't play like **** when his team needed him (which was basically every single round) since lundqvist had average at best rosters infront of him and had to go up against powerhouses like WSH, PIT, BUF (Presidents trohpy year) while loungo at least had the presidents trophy / division winning canucks infront of him.

Old
01-07-2012, 04:46 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
vBookie Bookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Luongo has played on much more talented teams in Vancouver and is a few years later. It is a bit odd that Lundqvist's subpar playoff career kinda gets swept under the rug around here.
Did you watch the Rangers-Capitals series last year? Lundqvist wasn't even close to subpar in that series. He kept almost every game in a one goal difference. Even Caps fans would say he was the only reason we were kept in that series. If it wasn't for Gaborik's gift to Semin, it could have been 2-2 instead of 3-1 at one point

Old
01-07-2012, 04:53 AM
Bennrocks

Lundqvist doesn't do Luongo's patented belly flop for one

Old
01-07-2012, 04:54 AM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Did you watch the Rangers-Capitals series last year? Lundqvist wasn't even close to subpar in that series. He kept almost every game in a one goal difference. Even Caps fans would say he was the only reason we were kept in that series. If it wasn't for Gaborik's gift to Semin, it could have been 2-2 instead of 3-1 at one point
Subpar probably isn't the right word but he's yet to really step it up and prove himself as an elite goaltender in the playoffs. With a career .909 save percentage there's a lot of room for improvement. It will be interesting to see how he does with a very talented Rangers squad this year.

Old
01-07-2012, 04:59 AM
Auger

Quote:
Lundqvist never choked. And just a warning, this thread won't last long with you not getting flamed at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheSide View Post
Because unlike loungo, Lundqvist didn't play like **** when his team needed him (which was basically every single round) since lundqvist had average at best rosters infront of him and had to go up against powerhouses like WSH, PIT, BUF (Presidents trohpy year) while loungo at least had the presidents trophy / division winning canucks infront of him.
Typical responses. Luongo's earlier career was better than Lundqvists. By powerhouse Canuck teams do you mean last year? Pretty sure Luongo not only carried the Canucks into the playoffs when he was traded here, but single handedly beat the Stars. Haha Henrik hasn't even had the chance to choke yet because the Rangers have sucked every year except this one.

Old
01-07-2012, 05:00 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
vBookie Bookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Subpar probably isn't the right word but he's yet to really step it up and prove himself as an elite goaltender in the playoffs. With a career .909 save percentage there's a lot of room for improvement. It will be interesting to see how he does with a very talented Rangers squad this year.
He was also on a bubble team most of those years playing against top teams in the East. If it were an average goalie in Lundqvist's position, I believe they would have worse playoff stats than Lundqvist.

Old
01-07-2012, 05:01 AM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auger View Post
Typical responses. Luongo's earlier career was better than Lundqvists. By powerhouse Canuck teams do you mean last year? Pretty sure Luongo not only carried the Canucks into the playoffs when he was traded here, but single handedly beat the Stars. Haha Henrik hasn't even had the chance to choke yet because the Rangers have sucked every year except this one.
Bold is pretty much the answer.

Old
01-07-2012, 05:04 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
vBookie Bookie

Quote:
Good job proving my point.

Luongo blew a 3-0 series lead to a team that embarasses him every year, got pulled an insane amount of times last season, pumped Thomas' tires, and failed to back any of it up. In 2009-10, he also said he will play better against the Blackhawks and not let Byfuglien get to him and guess what happened? Luongo would have been better off if he knew how to shut his mouth.

Old
01-07-2012, 05:06 AM
Mafoofoo
Hockey

Luongo has two art ross winners who even now are in the top 3 or 5 in league scoring, a selke winning 40 goal scorer, and a great defense core in front of him. He also has a backup worth writing home about which lets him play less games.

Old
01-07-2012, 05:09 AM
Auger

Quote:
Good job proving point.

Luongo blew a 3-0 series lead to a team that embarasses him every year, got pulled an insane amount of times last season, pumped Thomas' tires, and failed to back any of it up.
The topic of the thread is comparing Lundqvist to Luongo. Now I understand that many of you fans don't like him, and I don't either, but I don't understand what point your trying to make. It's funny because if you guys were thinking rationally even slightly you wouldn't be saying those things. I don't even like Luongo and im certainly not arguing that he didn't choke. Im only correcting things that you guys don't know because you don't really know anything about him. Lundqvist didn't blow a 3-0 series lead, as he has never been in that position. Luongo and Lundqvist are very comparable, Luongo was the best goalie in the league until his meltdown and Lundqvist has a very similar career path including how the teams in front of him are progressing. The Canucks were never a powerhouse until last year, the same can be said for the Rangers. This season we will see how Lundqvist handles the spot light.

Old
01-07-2012, 05:12 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Do I really need to get into the details of the sheer scale of Bobby Lous playoff meltdowns or can someone cover them for me?

Old
01-07-2012, 05:12 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
vBookie Bookie

Quote:
The topic of the thread is comparing Lundqvist to Luongo. Now I understand that many of you fans don't like him, and I don't either, but I don't understand what point your trying to make. It's funny because if you guys were thinking rationally even slightly you wouldn't be saying those things. I don't even like Luongo and im certainly not arguing that he didn't choke. Im only correcting things that you guys don't know because you don't really know anything about him. Lundqvist didn't blow a 3-0 series lead, as he has never been in that position. Luongo and Lundqvist are very comparable, Luongo was the best goalie in the league until his meltdown and Lundqvist has a very similar career path including how the teams in front of him are progressing. The Canucks were never a powerhouse until last year, the same can be said for the Rangers. This season we will see how Lundqvist handles the spot light.
That's all fair, but like you said, Lundqvist has not been in the same situations as Luongo, so all I'm saying is they are not comparable because of that reason. Read the OP. To me, he's trying to call Lundqvist a choker like Luongo. How can one be a choker if you are never in the position to choke?

Old
01-07-2012, 05:19 AM
Auger

Quote:
That's all fair, but like you said, Lundqvist has not been in the same situations as Luongo, so all I'm saying is they are not comparable because of that reason. Read the OP. To me, he's trying to call Lundqvist a choker like Luongo. How can one be a choker if you are never in the position to choke?
Oh my bad, I didn't read that stuff at the bottom, I can see why people would start going crazy. I just thought that they actually were comparable, but their peaks came at different times. They both played on barely adequate teams and in Luongo's case a horrible team in Florida, but still produced fantastic numbers. Of course Luongo has all that playoff failure behind him, which is the difference between the two.

Old
01-07-2012, 05:19 AM
Man Bear Pig

Luongo has had much better teams in front of him so people expect much more. Henrik has played on some awful teams and without him the Rangers are probably picking in the top 3 every year prior to this one. Henrik is the better goalie and has been for a while. Hell, Luongo isn't even the best goalie on his own team, the guy just hasn't lived up to the expectations that were placed on him almost a decade ago. Unfair expectations mind you.

Old
01-07-2012, 05:24 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
vBookie Bookie

Quote:
Oh my bad, I didn't read that stuff at the bottom, I can see why people would start going crazy. I just thought that they actually were comparable, but their peaks came at different times. They both played on barely adequate teams and in Luongo's case a horrible team in Florida, but still produced fantastic numbers. Of course Luongo has all that playoff failure behind him, which is the difference between the two.
Exactly. Your last sentence is the reason why the OP is wrong. It seems he just wanted to start an argument between people here since he doesn't even have the decency to respond to anyone here.

Old
01-07-2012, 05:28 AM
Nordic*

Luongo plays behind a heck of a team both offensively and defensively.

Lundqvist plays behind a team that hasn't been able to give him anywhere close to enough support the last few years.

Old
01-07-2012, 05:30 AM
FakeKidPoker*

Lundqvist wasn't constantly refereed to as "the best goalie in the world" on end.

Old
01-07-2012, 05:41 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomerHimpson View Post
Henrik Lundqvist has a couple of similarities with Roberto Luongo:

Regarded as one of best goalies in league

Great goalie stats

Olympic Gold medal

Also, prior to last year, Luongo and Lundqvist had both never made it past round 2.

But how come Henrik doesn't get criticized and critiqued for not taking the Rangers farther into the playoffs and Luongo gets all the heat?

Lundqvist, for a guy considered by some as hockey's best goalie, has been outdueled in playoff series by Varlamov (including blowing a 2-0 and 3-1 series lead at the same time) and Neuvirth (esp. Coughing up a 3-0 led in game 4).

So why does Henrik get a free pass for not going farther in the playoffs whereas Luongo got crucified for doing the same thing? He is where Luongo was until last year (never made it to conference finals), only you never hear "choker" and stuff like this.

Oh, and if the Rangers make the Cup Finals and Lundqvist comes up short, how much heat would he get as opposed to the universal evisceration Luongo got in June?
Honestly, beyond some stats, do you really think that Lundqvist and Luongo are similar players?

Lundqvist seems to thrive under pressure while Luongo has ups and downs and hasn't always been on top of his game when it matters most. That's not to say Luongo is always bad in pressure situations because he has played some great games under pressure, he is inconsistant though.

Old
01-07-2012, 05:43 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeKidPoker View Post
Lundqvist wasn't constantly refereed to as "the best goalie in the world" on end.
What?

He really has been considered by a lot of people to be the best goaltender in the league for quite a few years now.

Old
01-07-2012, 05:50 AM
Auger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheSide View Post
I'm actually pretty calm "son"
You were the guy that seemed pretty butthurt because we disagree with your "all hail loungo" opinion.
haha all hail Luongo? I don't even like him, but you were just posting random information. I talked about how good Luongo was when his career began, and how he was better than Lundqvist in the beginning, but as his career progressed he was surpassed by Lundqvist. You brought up last year out of nowhere, if you're going to antagonize you should expect to get it back as well.

Closed Thread