HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs talking to caps E4

Old
01-07-2012, 08:43 PM
SuperSaiyanBeastmode

vCash: 500
I want mike green...

SuperSaiyanBeastmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 08:45 PM
ThePsychicSaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamshot View Post
No use for schultz IMO, we have enough defenceman as it is, which is not a knock on his abilities. Eakin would likely be buried in our depth here, although should he continue to progress he could be useful, just hard to see where he would fit given bozak and lombardis current positions and soon colbornes.
2nd is a second.

Value is probably okay, but we are not in need of any of it.

word. but what if eakin could be replaced with holtby and that pick moved to a 1st wash?

could the same package net jokinen? how about divisional rival carolinas Ruutu?

Washington: Schultz, Eakin/holtby, 2nd Bos/1st wash

would other caps fans be willing to dish this in order to get a secondline center? i would hope so

ThePsychicSaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 08:49 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePsychicSaw View Post
word. but what if eakin could be replaced with holtby and that pick moved to a 1st wash?

would other caps fans be willing to dish this in order to get a secondline center? i would hope so
Ahhh, the first becomes more enticing given the depth of this draft, and IMO thats likely (if grabo continues his hot play, perhaps not if he drops off) what he will command if he is dealt.

However, again, I get that Holtby is quite the goalie prospect, but you could pretty much say the same of Reimer and Gustavsson, and we do have rynnas and scrivens, who are decent, but probably not as good as holtby.

Value is definitely there at holtby and a first, no doubt, just not what we need, but then again, im no GM, so maybe a first is enough for Grabo.

I'd have to say, that one has to think one of your big guys as in brouwer, laich, ward, would be the ones burke might be after.

Also, I dont believe Ruutu plays centre, could be wrong.

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 08:53 PM
seanlinden

Seriously...it's hard to imagine two teams with less compatible needs. If there's one thing Toronto doesn't need, it's an undersized shoot-first winger, so that leaves Semin off the table. The only guy that makes some sense would be Grabovski, but he'd only be available if Toronto had another deal to get a centre. There's really not a lot of players on the Caps that would actually be useful to Toronto. The Leafs aren't going to make a move in goal (confidence in their ability to develop a goalie), don't need to add any more 2nd pair defencemen, or secondary forwards.

Maybe Eklund's idea of the week is that Toronto is trying to orchestrate a 3-way trade where they ship Grabovski to Washington for futures, and then flip some of those futures for a better centre with bigger cap hit?

Last edited by seanlinden: 01-07-2012 at 08:59 PM.
seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 08:53 PM
ThePsychicSaw

Quote:
Ahhh, the first becomes more enticing given the depth of this draft, and IMO thats likely (if grabo continues his hot play, perhaps not if he drops off) what he will command if he is dealt.

However, again, I get that Holtby is quite the goalie prospect, but you could pretty much say the same of Reimer and Gustavsson, and we do have rynnas and scrivens, who are decent, but probably not as good as holtby.

Value is definitely there at holtby and a first, no doubt, just not what we need, but then again, im no GM, so maybe a first is enough for Grabo.

I'd have to say, that one has to think one of your big guys as in brouwer, laich, ward, would be the ones burke might be after.

Also, I dont believe Ruutu plays centre, could be wrong.
knuble could very well be the name being thrown around then if they are talking, unfortunately. He deserves more time on the caps, but has to be wanting more maybe GMGM is looking to get that done.

personally I'd wish they be looking for a suitor for ward.

ward, schultz, 1st wash

grabovski, franson? or another d-man for defensive depth

Old
01-07-2012, 08:55 PM
LeafsFan2342
#CallupColborne

Quote:
Fact: Semin is a top player in THE NHL

Considering all of the facets it would take to move semin (top player, high cap hit, ufa next season, russian, negative season STATISTICALLY, falsely accused lazy player, etc etc) there is almost ZERO chance he is being moved. STOP MENTIONING HIM PLEASE. washington will never get even close to what he is worth to their team right now.

Fact: Washington needs a second line center
Fact: Semin has never had a true second line center

If toronto and washington are even talking (they are playoff rivals hard right now but i can still see it) Its because washington wants a 2nd line center in Grabovski and maybe some defensive depth. PERIOD. stop with all of these pipedream backstrom/semin/kessel/ovechkin swaps. Even these sarcasm smileys are getting annoying.

Washington should be looking at either Ruuttu/Grabovski/Jokinen and they should be only looking at Schultz, Perreault, Eakin, Holtby, and Picks to move right now to shore up that second line center position.

Washington: Schultz, Eakin, 2nd Bos
Toronto: Grabovski

^ how is that value? we should be talking about this right now, NOT KESSEL VS BACKSTROM

and btw backstrom is a top10 center in this league. a center more important than a winger period. if you want to compare go to a different thread and talk about ovi versus kessel (yeah good debate ) because I would build a team around backstrom anyday.

Some more pointers to lay to rest.
Backstrom has the best puck control patience passing and vision on the Washington Capitals.
Semin has the best wrister in the NHL
Semin has top5 skill in the NHL
Semin has a top10 slapshot in the NHL
Semin has top10 dekeing skill in the NHL
Semin is a top passer in the NHL. Second only to Backstrom, of course, on the Caps
Semin is a top defending forward on the caps. IMO behind only Laich Backstrom
Semin is reality

he has been wrongly penalized all season for a good 80percent of calls that would never and SHOULD NEVER been called in the playoffs.
and Although he has trouble finding the passion to ALWAYS play with a fire, the bottom line is there's too much bias against him.

He wants to stay in washington. there is a huge russian culture on this team. GMGM has said he wanted to sign him long term. Semin will finally sign a multi year contract next season. He will stay I see 4.5/3year deal. Can't wait to see the possibility of a russian line of ovi-kuznetsov-semin with the swedish line there too in johansson-backstrom-forsberg (haha draft him!)

In all seriousness lets get back to possible trade talk.

Washington: Schultz, Eakin, 2nd Bos
Toronto: Grabovski

^ how is that value?
I lol'd so hard

None of this is true

LeafsFan2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 08:58 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
knuble could very well be the name being thrown around then if they are talking, unfortunately. He deserves more time on the caps, but has to be wanting more maybe GMGM is looking to get that done.

ward, schultz, 1st wash

The Leafs arent trading Grabovski unless its part of a deal for a legit 1st line C. Its not happening. He wears an "A" on this team and is very much liked by his teammates, the coach, and GM.

Its not happening. The only trade between these two teams will be something minor. I could see Burke interested in Brouwer, but I doubt Caps want to move him. We're poor trading partners. Leafs arent selling (we're ahead of the Caps, 7th in East).

blasted_Sabre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 08:58 PM
SuperSaiyanBeastmode

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsFan2342 View Post
I lol'd so hard

None of this is true
seriously? so your saying ovechkin doesn't have top 5 skill, because it's noted that semin is more skilled than ovy, but doesn't try as much, and semin EASILY has the best wrister in the league and is an amazing dangler(most likely top 10).

SuperSaiyanBeastmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:00 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:

ward, schultz, 1st wash

If that was the actual offer for Grabo, there is no way we turn it down regardless of what logjam it might entail. Definitely dont think thats what is being discussed however.

I forgot about Knuble, yeah it easily could be, but I doubt we pay highly for him given his age.

What are the caps looking for beyond a 2C? Maybe the deal is a bit bigger than we are realizing?

EDIT: I disagree quite alot with Blasted Sabre, I think he makes alot of sense to dangle, regardless of how well he is liked. Also Blasted Sabre, Komisarek wears an A and people toss him into proposals whenever they can. Same thing with Schenn, he has worn an A before and is often regarded as one of our most valuable trade assets.

Old
01-07-2012, 09:03 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
At this point, both teams are close in points in the hunt for the last playoff spots in the East. They're not trading with each other now.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:05 PM
ThePsychicSaw

Quote:
If that was the actual offer for Grabo, there is no way we turn it down regardless of what logjam it might entail. Definitely dont think thats what is being discussed however.

I forgot about Knuble, yeah it easily could be, but I doubt we pay highly for him given his age.

What are the caps looking for beyond a 2C? Maybe the deal is a bit bigger than we are realizing?
personally there aren't any other holes if they were to just work the way they should.

Now with dale hunter working a real system (where semin, hamrlik, ovi have excelled specifically among many others) I only see them giving perreault and schultz a better home that will actually give them the play time they deserve, because they do have potential (and I've always hated schultz), add prospects and/or picks and hopefully bring in a true second line center and maybe defensive d-men depth.

thats all I see. I wouldn't make other changes, and would hope they wouldnt either.

Old
01-07-2012, 09:14 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
personally there aren't any other holes if they were to just work the way they should.

Now with dale hunter working a real system (where semin, hamrlik, ovi have excelled specifically among many others) I only see them giving perreault and schultz a better home that will actually give them the play time they deserve, because they do have potential (and I've always hated schultz), add prospects and/or picks and hopefully bring in a true second line center and maybe defensive d-men depth.

thats all I see. I wouldn't make other changes, and would hope they wouldnt either.
Fair enough, then it doesnt seem very likely a trade will occur, other than perhaps the first and pieces for grabo.

For SnGs, lets say its for kulemin, as Eklund did use a picture of him going by the bench for the blog.

Any ideas if its for kuley?

Old
01-07-2012, 09:16 PM
Boondock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
This post is so wrong. Kessel has been the NHL's most consistant player this season.
I'd think a couple of similar faced gingers from the west coast might have something to say about that claim

Boondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:23 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:

EDIT: I disagree quite alot with Blasted Sabre, I think he makes alot of sense to dangle, regardless of how well he is liked. Also Blasted Sabre, Komisarek wears an A and people toss him into proposals whenever they can. Same thing with Schenn, he has worn an A before and is often regarded as one of our most valuable trade assets.
Schenn also isnt being sold off for anything except an upgrade at C. And just because Leafs fan want to trade Komi, doesnt mean Burke will. Burke LOVES him.

Tell me why the Leafs would trade Grabo for a package of futures? Hes critical to our teams success right now. And in case you didnt notice, we're in a playoff race after missing the playoffs since '04.

Hes not being moved unless its part of a package for a 1st line C.

Old
01-07-2012, 09:24 PM
Carlzner
Game of Tanks

Quote:

Absolutely NOT.
Are you ****ing kidding me?

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:26 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
I'd think a couple of similar faced gingers from the west coast might have something to say about that claim
This is games played this season in which players recorded a point. Kessel and Lupul lead the league (Kessel 41 games played, recorded points in 33 of them)

Quote:
Kessel 33/41 (80.5%)
Lupul 33/41 (80.5%)
Malkin 25/32 (75.0%)
Stamkos 29/39 (74.4%)
Giroux 26/35 (74.3%)
H. Sedin 31/42 (73.8%)
D. Sedin 29/41 (70.7%)
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1073091&page=6

Old
01-07-2012, 09:32 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Schenn also isnt being sold off for anything except an upgrade at C. And just because Leafs fan want to trade Komi, doesnt mean Burke will. Burke LOVES him.

Tell me why the Leafs would trade Grabo for a package of futures? Hes critical to our teams success right now. And in case you didnt notice, we're in a playoff race after missing the playoffs since '04.

Hes not being moved unless its part of a package for a 1st line C.
If you read the dialogue psychic saw and I had you would realize I said its most unlikely, and it doesnt seem like anything will happen between these two teams.

However, its silly to rule it out completely, Burke is very careful with his assets, and while I agree he most likely goes nowhere, if he wants something in return for him instead of losing him for nothing next year, he might be traded.

Also, im not sure if the bolded is you just trying to be snotty or if you actually think I am unaware of our current position in the standings, but yes, I am aware. I am also aware that burke is building HIS team, and he wants it to contend year in year out, and that does not happen without careful asset management.

Also, he does not have much worth in a package for a 1C, due to his UFA status. His position at the moment, makes alot of sense as a rental. Although, the leafs position makes it highly unlikely to move him as a rental.

Again though, you would be foolish to think that if burke couldnt get a half decent trade for Komisarek he wouldnt consider it. He knows we have an excess of defensemen, and this is a business.

Old
01-07-2012, 09:38 PM
ThePsychicSaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Absolutely NOT.
Are you ****ing kidding me?
I'm curious of the consensus on cost yes no joke.

I told you what I would be willing to part with

Schultz, Eakin, Bos 2nd

first for ruutu then for either jokinen or grabovski.

To me its worth it

Old
01-07-2012, 09:39 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Chokers Unite!

Quote:
This is games played this season in which players recorded a point. Kessel and Lupul lead the league (Kessel 41 games played, recorded points in 33 of them)

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1073091&page=6
Kessel and Lupul are also shooting 5.4 and 4.5 percentage points over their career averages. Their production doesn't really seem sustainable.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:42 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
Kessel and Lupul are also shooting 5.4 and 4.5 percentage points over their career averages. Their production doesn't really seem sustainable.
They've been doing since the Lupul trade last February. Finished hot last season, continueing it this season.

Old
01-07-2012, 09:43 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Chokers Unite!

Quote:
I'm curious of the consensus on cost yes no joke.

I told you what I would be willing to part with

Schultz, Eakin, Bos 2nd

first for ruutu then for either jokinen or grabovski.

To me its worth it
Realistically, for the Caps to make the SCF, they'll have to go through the Rangers/Flyers and the Bruins. The Caps are not close to good enough to win 4 out of 7 from any of those teams, and I highly doubt Ruutu and Jokinen/Grabovski can be the difference maker. I'd rather sell off our UFAs at the deadline, keep our assets, and regroup for next year.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:59 PM
hb11xchamps

Who is Eakins? It's funny that the leafs fans don't even know the players they want to trade for

hb11xchamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 10:04 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb11xchamps View Post
Who is Eakins? It's funny that the leafs fans don't even know the players they want to trade for
Dallas Eakins is the Toronto Marlies head coach (and probably Leafs coach in waiting). Easy enough typo for a Leafs fan. Hes the guy in my avatar.

Old
01-08-2012, 07:50 AM
Leafsforlife98

Quote:
They've been doing since the Lupul trade last February. Finished hot last season, continueing it this season.
Damn straight, and if Burke gets his #1 center, their production will probably go up even more.

Leafsforlife98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 08:50 AM
JB Maple Leafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsGreat08AO View Post
That's pretty funny. Watch Backstrom sometime then come back THANKS
We have....Kessel is better....Thanks.

JB Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote