HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

GDT: GDT: GM 42: Canucks @ Bruins: Out-of-Town (A.K.A GET UP) Edition PT. 3

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2012, 01:58 PM
flack

vCash: 500
no post-game thread?

Old
01-08-2012, 01:58 PM
CP

vCash: 699
Marchant suspension prediction and what it means

0 games - let loose the hounds lads, Shanahammer applauds that play, open season on clipping

1-2 games - finger wave (what do ya want - he is from Boston after all)

3-4 games - wrist slap - you're cute (cheek pinch) but quit being such a dork

5+ games - idiot! (Bieksa hit the nail on the head)

Old
01-08-2012, 02:01 PM
Mudshark50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP View Post
0 games - let loose the hounds lads, Shanahammer applauds that play, open season on clipping

1-2 games - finger wave (what do ya want - he is from Boston after all)

3-4 games - wrist slap - you're cute (cheek pinch) but quit being such a dork

5+ games - idiot! (Bieksa hit the nail on the head)
He's a repeat offender, so that should be considered in the amount of games he gets (if any).

Would love to see us draft a legitimate heavy weight with good skating skills and fourth line defensive ability to keep other teams honest.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:02 PM
Hyack57

I missed the game just like I predicted. My second son was born Saturday morning at 5:52am. 8lbs 14 1/4oz. Mother and baby are doing great. I've been getting flak from some of my Oilers friends having named him Ryan with Wayne as a middle name. The names all originate from my wife's side of the family.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:04 PM
stoneboat

Congrats, Hyack. Glad the family's doing well.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:04 PM
Hyack57

I had caught some of the 2nd period and saw Marchand's dirty hit on Salo. What struck me as sickening was that Marchand got a pretty big pat on the back from Horton on the bench. Horton doesn't mind injuring players and congratulating teammates on doing so. Nice.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:06 PM
Karl Hungus

It's got to be 4-5 games, imo. He's got a history with NHL discipline and also has a history of doing this exact same move, that everyone knew was illegal and dirty, and now he's finally injured someone badly with it.

Look at this video Shanahan made about the Kaleta suspension for headbutting. You can definitely make a case that Marchand going low on unsuspecting players is a pattern.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:07 PM
VanTampaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudshark50 View Post
He's a repeat offender, so that should be considered in the amount of games he gets (if any).

Would love to see us draft a legitimate heavy weight with good skating skills and fourth line defensive ability to keep other teams honest.
Agreed on every point. As much as I hate to say it, someone like Gregory Campbell would be nice.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:18 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Apparently it's a phone call hearing, I'm willing to bet Marchand gets off scott free. I'm not surprised but as I said yesterday, the damage to Marchand and the Bruins rep may be just as good.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:19 PM
wetcoastwhale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyack57 View Post
I missed the game just like I predicted. My second son was born Saturday morning at 5:52am. 8lbs 14 1/4oz. Mother and baby are doing great. I've been getting flak from some of my Oilers friends having named him Ryan with Wayne as a middle name. The names all originate from my wife's side of the family.
Congrats. glad everyone is doing well!

Old
01-08-2012, 02:22 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
Apparently it's a phone call hearing, I'm willing to bet Marchand gets off scott free. I'm not surprised but as I said yesterday, the damage to Marchand and the Bruins rep may be just as good.
lol - what damage? They continue to get off scott free.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:24 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
lol - what damage? They continue to get off scott free.
They are slowly but surely accumulating a very poor rep around the NHL, it will bite them ass eventually.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:26 PM
Toblerone
RIP Hickstead

Hodgson's goal was probably the highlight of the game for me...great shot, just ripped it right past Thomas.

Schneider looked really good stopping the puck...was not fun watching him go play the puck though! I know I have read some people on here claim that he is so much better then Luo at playing the puck...I think we can probably all agree that is BS and they both suck at it

Was so pissed at the Salo incident...he has been so good and steady this year and to see him taken out by such a cowardly move is awful. Hoping for a good suspension that will really make that idiot think about what he did, but am not counting on it.

I found the last Hamhuis penalty kind of funny. Not that it is a wrong call...but how many times does that actually get called? Players always fall onto/hide the puck when one team is scrambling to tie the game during the final minutes and of course it just has to be called in this game. I wouldn't mind if it was always called, because I think it is a good call...but jeez, maybe the refs should actually decide to call it all the other times it happens.

Great game for the special teams. That was what was supposed to win the series for us last year, it doesn't right last years wrongs, but it was very nice to see them get it done yesterday. Especially with how the PP had been struggling going into the game.

They were too scrambly at times and got away from their own games in the last half of the first/first half of second...but they did get back to their game and came out with a hard fought, close victory. Nice to see.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:29 PM
Canucker

He's only going to get a 1-2 game suspension IMO. I don't recall any precedent for plays like this. I could be wrong though. I hope he gets more. Probably deserves 5 games.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:33 PM
Slapshot_11

Bruin fans calling our org. classless for saying Salo is injured right away like were trying to get Marchand suspended

I guess they forgot about Horton and his severe concussion who then flew to Vancouver for game 7

Old
01-08-2012, 02:35 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
He's only going to get a 1-2 game suspension IMO. I don't recall any precedent for plays like this. I could be wrong though. I hope he gets more. Probably deserves 5 games.
It sure makes Chara look less daunting when you can dive at his legs every time he tries to hit you.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:37 PM
Crows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot_11 View Post
Bruin fans calling our org. classless for saying Salo is injured right away like were trying to get Marchand suspended

I guess they forgot about Horton and his severe concussion who then flew to Vancouver for game 7
Get Dr.Recchi to see if Salo was at a movie last night?

Old
wetcoastwhale

2 disappointing things about yesterday's game, in the midst of all the fun of beating the Bruins:
1- why couldn't our PP have done that in the SC finals, when it really counted, and
2- why couldn't we have got that TT in the finals, even for a few games, instead of the Incredible Wall.

Old
Wetcoaster

The Marchand check on Salo:

Mike Gillis:
“A dirty play by a dirty player.”

Alain Vigneault (per SPAC's Dan Murphy):
Dan Murphy
sportsnetmurph Dan Murphy
Vigneault angry after #canucks skate. Said Marchand is going to "get it" one day + if NHL doesn't take care of him someone else will.

Claude Julien exhibiting the height of hypocrisy - even if you discount the fact that it was Sami Salo who does not deliver big hits or take runs but rather uses his size, strength and body position to legally separate players from the puck:
“If guys start protecting themselves with the way Marchand did, maybe guys will stop taking runs at other guys because that’s the consequences you end up paying for taking runs at guys, too,” said Julien in a rambling statement. ” Who knows where we’re going to going with this. I know we’re all trying hard to fix that part of the game, but it’s still there and it’s still not fixed.”

Marchand in addition to his multiple gloved punches to the face of Henrik Sedin last SCF also low bridged Henrik with a similar check.

Even if it is not a low bridge hit (a clip) and IMHO it was, note Marchand contacts the back part of Salo's body - so at the very least a check from behind on a vulnerable player.
Rule 43 - Checking from Behind

43.1 Checking from Behind – A check from behind is a check delivered on a player who is not aware of the impending hit, therefore unable to protect or defend himself, and contact is made on the back part of the body. When a player intentionally turns his body to create contact with his back, no penalty shall be assessed.
How is the effect of that hit any different from that resulting from a slew foot which is considered one of the most dangerous hits in hockey? It is an extremely dangerous play. And that goes back to the days of the Eddie Shore hit on Ace Bailey.

Oh yeah and Marchand has one of those slew foots on his Supplementary Discipline resume when he was fined $2,500 last month for slew-footing Pittsburgh defenceman Matt Niskanen along with two games last march for an elbow to the head of RJ Umberger that netted him a 2 game suspension.
Rule 52 - Slew-footing

52.1 Slew-footing - Slew-footing is the act of a player or goalkeeper using his leg or foot to knock or kick an opponent’s feet from under him, or pushes an opponent’s upper body backward with an arm or elbow, and at the same time with a forward motion of his leg, knocks or kicks the opponent’s feet from under him, causing him to fall violently to the ice.

52.2 Match Penalty - Any player who is guilty of slew-footing shall be assessed a match penalty.
And even if a check is technically legal, a player can still be suspended under the Supplementary Discipline rules.

Per the CBA:
EXHIBIT 8
PROCEDURES RELATING TO COMMISSIONER DISCIPLINE
6. Factors In Determining Supplementary Discipline

In deciding on supplementary discipline, the following factors will be taken into account:

(a) The type of conduct involved: conduct outside of NHL rules; excessive force in contact otherwise permitted by NHL rules; and careless or accidental conduct.

Players are responsible for the consequences of their actions.

(b) Injury to the opposing Player(s) involved in the incident.

(c) The status of the offender, and specifically whether he is a "first" or "repeat" offender. Players who repeatedly violate NHL rules will be more severely punished for each new violation.

(d) The situation of the game in which the incident occurred: late in the game, lopsided score, prior events in the game.

(e) Such other factors as may be appropriate in the circumstances.
This was definitely a suspendable act resulting in injury by a player who is a repeat offender. The consideration of the length of the suspension should begin at five games.

Marchand is just the sort of rat to whom Brian Burke recently referred.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcoastwhale View Post
2 disappointing things about yesterday's game, in the midst of all the fun of beating the Bruins:
1- why couldn't our PP have done that in the SC finals, when it really counted, and
2- why couldn't we have got that TT in the finals, even for a few games, instead of the Incredible Wall.
Last SCF:

1. The power play was crippled - Kesler, Ehrhoff, Samuelsson, Edler and Henrik all injured.

2. The Bruins were being allowed to keep the front of the net clear in front of Thomas by interfering with Canucks forwards.

When the Canucks had a more healthy line up and the Bruins were being penalized for cheap stuff they got away with in the SCF, it was different game.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:43 PM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Ballard and Hamhuis' checks looks like a pair of fine clean hip checks, while Marchand ducked. I see a huge difference but feel free to disagree witih me.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:47 PM
Samzilla

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot_11 View Post

And then made an appearance a couple days later in the tunnel of TD Gardens without sunglasses amidst all the flashing lights and screaming fans.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:49 PM
mossey3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcoastwhale View Post
-On the 1st unit we insisted on playing a guy with a bum shoulder and a guy with broken fingers instead of Salo and Bieksa. On top of that, Hank and Kesler were hurt as well. Not suprising they couldn't produce.

-Our 2nd unit was useless because it was a bunch of wingers with noone willing to distribute the puck.

-We didn't score a single 'sniper goal' like Hodgson got last night.

-We didn't move TT side to side with quick one-timers, which is what that deflection to Kesler was effectively. This is what TB did to Thomas in the previous series.

-since the Bruins could goon it up with impunity, we for the most part weren't willing to pay the price to go to the middle.

Lots of reasons really.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:49 PM
Bombsy

I know they're 2 completely different hits. But if Aaron Rome got 4 games in the Stanley Cup Finals for a hit that was a quarter of a second late, Marchand should be looking at a suspension at least 8 games long. The key word being "should", not "will".

Rome's hit on Horton was essentially a clean hit. Horton was admiring his pass and he got rocked. It's unfortunate that he suffered a "severe" concussion (yet was able to waive a towel around with his ugly smile in a building with 18,000 screaming fans), but it was essentially a clean hit.

Marchand's was a dirty clip resulting in a concussion. If we called it "severe" would he get a bigger suspension? Since common sense says that Rome was suspended for the result, not the act, and that playoff games are equal to 2 regular season games, Marchand should be looking at an 8-10 game suspension based on precedent and the fact that he's a repeat offender.

I expect him to get nothing. Somehow Jeremy Jacobs and Colin Campbell will be heavily influencing Shanahan's authority on this one. Call it a funny feeling I have, or call it a pattern that the NHL has when it comes to their darlings - who happen to be the dirtiest team in the league by a wide-margin.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:54 PM
crazyforhockey

a very dangerous play and a player got hurt and from a repeat offender....... should be over 10 gms 12-15 minimum...are did they not learn anything from cooke getting off scott free for all those years

I see from espn thats its a telephone hearing so no more than 5 gms

well its from bruins beat writer ..reported by espn...so maybe that is incorrect

Closed Thread