HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Mattias Backman (2011, 146th overall, DET; traded to DAL)

Old
02-08-2014, 05:55 PM
Anchor Town*

vCash:
LD Mattias Backman (2011, 146th overall, DET; traded to DAL)

6'2" Swedish defenseman. Was drafted in the 5th round in 2011 by Detroit. Won a gold with Sweden in the WJC, led the team in ice time (over the likes of Brodin and Klefbom). Has played for the Swedish national team in 9 games. Had 26 points last year. Has 19 this year and leads the SHL in +/- with a +23. Will be heading to Grand Rapids next year in the AHL.

What's his NHL future?

Old
02-08-2014, 07:42 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor Town View Post
6'2" Swedish defenseman. Was drafted in the 5th round in 2011 by Detroit. Won a gold with Sweden in the WJC, led the team in ice time (over the likes of Brodin and Klefbom). Has played for the Swedish national team in 9 games. Had 26 points last year. Has 19 this year and leads the SHL in +/- with a +23. Will be heading to Grand Rapids next year in the AHL.

What's his NHL future?
Top-4 Defenseman best case scenario... top6 worst case

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 07:44 PM
Anchor Town*

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Top-4 Defenseman best case scenario... top6 worst case
So where does he fit in with Kronwall, Ericsson, DeKeyser, Smith, Kindl, Lashoff, Ouellet, Marchenko, Sproul, Almqvist, etc?

Old
02-08-2014, 07:48 PM
Wolverine Wings
#thankyoubasedgod

Real under the radar guy from what I've gathered. He has quietly been excellent, but will face stiff competition with other Wings prospects at defense like Ouellet, Sproul, Marchenko and to a lesser extent Jensen and Almquist.

It really will be a waiting game to see how he adapts to North American ice and a higher level of competition but the upside is there for him to be a very serviceable player in the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor Town View Post
So where does he fit in with Kronwall, Ericsson, DeKeyser, Smith, Kindl, Lashoff, Ouellet, Marchenko, Sproul, Almqvist, etc?
Somewhere around Ouellet, Sproul and Marchenko, though almost everybody is higher than Kindl at this point...

Wolverine Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2014, 12:54 PM
Qubax

Mattias Backman - Det

What do the wings have hear? I think he's starting to fly way under the radar and has a lot of reasonably polished potential that could see him in the NHL in the next year or two.

Thoughts?

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2014, 01:30 PM
Skinnyjimmy08
WorldTraveler

I love him and think he will be a complete steal. I hope he sticks with Detroit next season, but will probably be in AHL with some NHL games

Skinnyjimmy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2014, 01:33 PM
ricky0034

Babcock seems pretty high on him

a couple weeks ago he said twice in interviews in the span of a week that he will be on the team next year

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2014, 01:47 PM
Skinnyjimmy08
WorldTraveler

will he be first to make the team over other prospect dmen.... Sproul, Marchenko, Almquist, Ouelette?

Old
05-18-2014, 01:49 PM
The Geelee

Seen him play a lot in Grand Rapids during the playoffs and he has looked great.

Hakan compared him to Edler when he drafted him and I can see why, has a ton of poise with the puck. Wouldn't be surprised to see him with the Red Wings next year

The Geelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2014, 02:26 PM
silkyjohnson50

Edler without throwing any hits maybe. It doesn't seem like he'll have a physical game outside of pinning guys, which isn't the end of the world (see Nick Lidstrom).

He does appear to be quickly headed to the NHL though. With Sproul and Ouellet North American and drafted earlier, both Marchenko and especially Backman have flown under the radar a bit with their development.

All 4 players have the NHL in their paths right now. In fact, no one in Detroit would be the least surprised if both Marchenko and Backman made the jump to the bigs before Sproul and Ouellet at this point.

The fact that Detroit got all 4 of them in the same draft (with Jurco) is remarkable. I wouldn't be the surprised if one or two of them was eventually moved though.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2014, 02:36 PM
Skinnyjimmy08
WorldTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
Edler without throwing any hits maybe. It doesn't seem like he'll have a physical game outside of pinning guys, which isn't the end of the world (see Nick Lidstrom).

He does appear to be quickly headed to the NHL though. With Sproul and Ouellet North American and drafted earlier, both Marchenko and especially Backman have flown under the radar a bit with their development.

All 4 players have the NHL in their paths right now. In fact, no one in Detroit would be the least surprised if both Marchenko and Backman made the jump to the bigs before Sproul and Ouellet at this point.

The fact that Detroit got all 4 of them in the same draft (with Jurco) is remarkable. I wouldn't be the surprised if one or two of them was eventually moved though.
Ya I was just gonna say that I can see 1 or 2 of them involved in a deal for help in other areas. They seem pretty stacked with D prospects

Old
05-18-2014, 02:44 PM
Cyborg Yzerberg
Sitting on a Cloud

I think Ouellet will be the best of the group, but Sproul, Backman, and Marchenko are right there. Then I think Jensen and Almquist are behind that group. Really quite the log jam. Kronwall and Dekeyser are probably not going to be moved any time soon and who knows about Smith and Ericsson.

Cyborg Yzerberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2014, 02:56 PM
Syan Ruter
Snus boogey woogey?

He's a Swedish, late-round, defenseman draft pick by Detroit. So, we can expect the Norris-talk to begin within a few years. Seriously, Detroit's drafting is just ridiculously solid

Syan Ruter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2014, 03:02 PM
silkyjohnson50

Yeah with both Dekeyser and Smith still on the young side of 30 and Kronwall and Ericsson not quite nearing the end, Detroit simply won't have room for everyone in the next few years (don't forget about Jensen either, whose elite wheels will likely give him a look at the NHL as well.)

So this gives them the luxury of taking their time with some of these kids (I think this will particularly be good for Sproul who has the best physical tools of the prospects, but is also the least polished on the defensive side of the puck).

But at some point Detroit is going to want to manage these assets the best they can. If that means using one or two of them as pieces for a proven, veteran blueliner or a forward at some point, so be it.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2014, 03:35 AM
Hockeyfrilla

Bäckman has returned to sweden. Was a healthy scratch in AHL.

Hockeyfrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2014, 03:46 AM
BPilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrilla View Post
Bäckman has returned to sweden. Was a healthy scratch in AHL.
Per what source?

BPilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2014, 03:47 AM
Hockeyfrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPilgrim View Post
Per what source?
Pete Wallner ‏@petewallner 9h9 hours ago

Can also confirm through Red Wings that @griffinshockey D Mattias Backman has returned to Sweden.

Old
12-20-2014, 03:52 AM
BPilgrim

Quote:
Pete Wallner ‏@petewallner 9h9 hours ago

Can also confirm through Red Wings that @griffinshockey D Mattias Backman has returned to Sweden.
Ok, thanks.

BPilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2014, 08:57 AM
Tatar Shots

This is really disappointing. He is such a talented player. He was excellent for years in Sweden, great in the AHL playoffs last year, and Babcock was praising him before the season started stating he would be in the NHL this year. What is it with the Wing's young Swedes threatening to go back home/ going home? I wonder if the last two years might cause a change in drafting philosophy or if we will ever see Backman in North America again. The guy has NHL talent.

Tatar Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2014, 09:03 AM
ChadS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatar Shots View Post
This is really disappointing. He is such a talented player. He was excellent for years in Sweden, great in the AHL playoffs last year, and Babcock was praising him before the season started stating he would be in the NHL this year. What is it with the Wing's young Swedes threatening to go back home/ going home? I wonder if the last two years might cause a change in drafting philosophy or if we will ever see Backman in North America again. The guy has NHL talent.
I'm hoping he comes back next year and has another Swede (Janmark) around to feel more comfortable. He has a lot of talent and looked absolutely great in the playoffs, and I'm positive he can make the NHL if he just puts in the work and is dedicated long-term. Would be interesting to get some comments from the management on their plans with him going forward, since I'm pretty sure the're not giving up on him yet.

ChadS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2014, 08:45 AM
Chance on Chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatar Shots View Post
Probably homesick and $$$$$ are big things for him, and I think he was mad about his ice time

Chance on Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2015, 03:21 AM
Hockeyfrilla

Traded to Dallas.

Old
03-02-2015, 06:28 AM
bottomofthefoodchain

Quote:
Traded to Dallas.
New Swedish colony

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2015, 04:45 PM
Franck
eltiT resU motsuC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
New Swedish colony
There's a few of those around the league now. Nashville, Anaheim, Chicago...

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2015, 07:12 PM
BigG44

There's going to hopefully be an interesting Swedish-Finnish rivalry on Texas' AHL defense next season between Julius Honka/Esa Lindell and Ludwig Bystrom/Mattias Bachman.

Hopefully Mattias Janmark will come over next year as well.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote