HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Toronto Star: Limiting Euro Goalies in the CHL

Old
05-30-2013, 10:00 AM
Dgill

vCash: 500
Toronto Star: Limiting Euro Goalies in the CHL

Quote:
It’s a drastic solution.
That said, many would argue the crisis in Canadian goaltending has already reached such a level — who is going to play goal for Canada at next year’s Sochi Olympics, by the way? — that drastic solutions are needed.
When Canadian Hockey League commissioner David Branch met with Hockey Canada officials this week, one of the topics on the agenda was that the 60 CHL major junior teams will consider banning all European goaltenders in order to give more opportunities to North Americans.
“The CHL has had discussions in a broader sense with Hockey Canada,” said Branch. “One of the ideas put forward was eliminating goalies from the annual import draft to allow more focus on North American goalies.
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...n_ban_cox.html

This is stupid. Europeans are already restricted by only allowing two of them on a CHL team per team. If a goaltender is good enough he will make it to the CHL.

Dgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 10:17 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Hate this idea.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 10:18 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

CHL should ban all euro players, not only G

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 10:18 AM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

vCash: 600

What a stupid idea. How many Euro goalies were there in the CHL this year? I know Dansk was one but who else?

DatsyukToZetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 10:22 AM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post

What a stupid idea. How many Euro goalies were there in the CHL this year? I know Dansk was one but who else?
Bartosak, Neiderberger, (Christopher) Gibson, Cupper, Laurikainen, Polivka all come to mind.

Patmac40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 10:23 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmac40 View Post
Bartosak, Neiderberger, (Christopher) Gibson, Cupper, Laurikainen, Polivka all come to mind.
Andrey Makarov was the Blades MVP and was also named top goalie at the Memorial Cup.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 10:25 AM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Andrey Makarov was the Blades MVP and was also named top goalie at the Memorial Cup.
Oh yeah, the best of them all as far as I'm concerned.

Patmac40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 10:26 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

CHL is too late to matter if they're worried about developing goalies. It may just be a cyclical thing, I don't have an opinion on the current downturn in Canadian goaltending, but the proposal of taking action at the CHL level is pointless. If there really is a fundamental issue, it starts earlier than that.

I think the goaltending position has always been expensive for kids, so I don't know that there is any change there, relative to other players, if that's a grassroots consideration.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 10:37 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Yes, let's lower the quality of the competition so that more Canadian kids can play goal in the CHL. That'll work to ensure that the Canadian goalies will be better players.

Stupid.

If you want to focus on developing goalies, make it easier for minor/peewee/bantam hockey players to play in net (financially) and get them access to specialized coaching a few times a year, and give all coaches the tools to help their goalies learn the position.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 10:44 AM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Yes, let's lower the quality of the competition so that more Canadian kids can play goal in the CHL. That'll work to ensure that the Canadian goalies will be better players.

Stupid.

If you want to focus on developing goalies, make it easier for minor/peewee/bantam hockey players to play in net (financially) and get them access to specialized coaching a few times a year, and give all coaches the tools to help their goalies learn the position.
THIS.

Like most of you, I absolutely loathe this idea.

Old
05-30-2013, 10:47 AM
Dgill

Quote:

Stupid.

That means Hockey Canada would have to spend money. Let's just ban the Euro's and save!

Really though, you're spot on.

Dgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 10:51 AM
Propane Nightmares
TIA bro

This is silly, the guys who are losing CHL spots to Euros obviously aren't that good in the first place...

The best Canadian goalies will get their spots.

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 10:57 AM
JJTT

This doesn't make much sense. None of the high profile euro goalies don't even go to chl. It will only make chl worse by forcing to use bad north american goalies instead of average euro goalies.

JJTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 11:06 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtt View Post
It will only make chl worse by forcing to use bad north american goalies instead of average euro goalies.
Well, that's the idea, though. Not that I think it's a great one, but there's a school of thought in sports science that states that in general, if you play a sport a certain amount of time (I think it was 10,000 hours or something), you are going to become elite at that sport. It's obviously not quite that simple, but there's something to it on some level. So forcing some kids to put in more hours at the best junior level available isn't entirely stupid. That doesn't mean I think it would be the right thing to do. Especially the motivation of a perceived goaltending drought at the current professional level is beyond short-sighted.

Vipers31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 11:06 AM
Kickassguy

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Kickassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 11:18 AM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Horrible idea. All it's doing is lowering the competition of the league which shouldn't even be considered. Leagues are supposed to be as competitive as possible. In sense , this would hurt the calibre of forwards and defencemen in a way...

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 11:21 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Why not go a step further and ban American goalies as well? Call it the "John Gibson Rule."

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 11:30 AM
bottomofthefoodchain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
Well, that's the idea, though. Not that I think it's a great one, but there's a school of thought in sports science that states that in general, if you play a sport a certain amount of time (I think it was 10,000 hours or something), you are going to become elite at that sport. It's obviously not quite that simple, but there's something to it on some level. So forcing some kids to put in more hours at the best junior level available isn't entirely stupid. That doesn't mean I think it would be the right thing to do. Especially the motivation of a perceived goaltending drought at the current professional level is beyond short-sighted.
I think he 10,000 hours thing is supposed to apply to everything actually. Heard it mentioned in music aswell.

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 11:43 AM
Rocko604

Quote:

Stupid.

Spot on.

Until Hockey Canada puts some sort of goalie coaching framework in place regarding the required training each goalie should have (correct me if I'm wrong, they have similar systems in place in Sweden and Finland?), then resorting to something such as banning Euros from playing in the CHL, to make way for a kid who should be playing Junior B, isn't going to fix this problem.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 11:44 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

This is ridiculous.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 11:52 AM
JacketsFanWest

I'm not in favor of this, but I can see some rational for the move.

CHL teams absolutely need good goaltending in able to be competitive. Rather than trying to develop young goalies (who may have a few bad nights and struggle at times), teams go the easier route with an established Euro prospect.

Joonas Korpisalo was drafted by Prince George last year and could come over for next season (he probably won't but let's say that happens). Prince George has a goalie who should be playing pro in Finland, a 17/18 year old is playing Junior A rather than in the WHL.

Steve Mason barely played in the CHL in his draft year (16 games). The fact one of the Jackets scouts knew his goalie coach was the reason he was one the Jackets' radar. Theoretically, there could be other situations of 17/18 year olds not getting the chance to shine and either going the NCAA route or just never developing the way they should. Many goalies are late bloomers and need the chance to prove themselves.

Still, the CHL wants to be the best junior league and the develop the best players. To do that, they need to top talent, no matter where those players are from and the best players are going to shine through someway - whether that's in the CHL or in another league like the NCAA.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 01:06 PM
Sad Leafs fan

vCash: 1807
Certainly not in favour of this. It's a knee jerk reaction to piss poor Canadian goalies.
Hockey Canada is kind of like the politicians in the town I live in. An old boys club.

USA hockey started their successful development program back in 1996 (I think) after the embarrassment of the Boston World Juniors.
They took the best of our program and European programs and with some modification, developed a program second to none. Of course Canada and others really can't do exactly what they've done. But they didn't sit back and moan and groan. They were reactive and proactive.

Look at what the US and Europeans are doing, develop a modified approach and who knows......we might be successful.

2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 06:11 PM
Lindo

Don Cherry with tears of joy clapping for all those "good canadian boys" out there.

Lindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 06:43 PM
Brock

My thoughts

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2013...enders-is.html

Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 07:11 PM
sunsoutgunsout
#redacted

vCash: 100
This is the dumbest **** I've read today, and I spent a good portion of today on HF.

sunsoutgunsout is offline   Reply With Quote