HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Western Europe
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Western Europe Great Britain, France, Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands, Spain

Why isn't Hockey big in Britain or France?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-01-2014, 07:59 AM
  #201
J17 Vs Proclamation
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Reading.
Country: South Korea
Posts: 8,025
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propane Nightmares View Post
It's related to the point that apparently ice hockey was invented in Britain and played on frozen lakes, which don't become frozen anymore. Like I said in my lifetime it has only happened once, when a few years ago we were able to travel to somewhere in Oxfordshire to skate on a lake that did freeze, maybe you know the place. Yes many lakes do freeze over a little bit sometimes, but the ice is never thick enough to be safe to skate on.
No, skating in ponds has never been a thing, at least where i'm from.

I have no opinion or information to add on what hockey was like relative to the climate in 1930. Having frozen lakes or not wouldn't change particularly much now, either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propane Nightmares View Post
The comparison in standard of living between the US and the UK is not relevant to hockey, it's just a response to someone who said that the UK is the wealthier country, which is just incorrect no matter what facts you look at, though it is true that there is greater income inequality in the US.
The income equality divide in the UK is pretty severe, if i recall, thought i do not possess any stats on hand. Though income inequality is only one small measurement when having a conversation like this. Both countries have a plethora of similar and different socioeconomic and politics issues, none of which have any real influence on ice hockey. The grass is always greener though i guess ....

Money is great and all, but it needs to be used efficiently.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 06:18 AM
  #202
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 91,700
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propane Nightmares View Post
It's hilarious with the football, whenever England get knocked out of a major tournament everyone moans about foreigners in the EPL for about 2 days, then it's back to supporting clubs like Arsenal with their 1 English player in the starting 11 (if that)
Arsenal aren't the best example to use.

Also, I can't help but read your posts in Alan Partridge's voice.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 06:46 AM
  #203
Darren Peng
Nang
 
Darren Peng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 70,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Arsenal aren't the best example to use.

Also, I can't help but read your posts in Alan Partridge's voice.
I haven't followed football closely for years, but they always used to never have English players, but I see now they have Wilshere, Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain

Darren Peng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 07:27 AM
  #204
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 91,700
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propane Nightmares View Post
I haven't followed football closely for years, but they always used to never have English players, but I see now they have Wilshere, Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain
Wilshere, Walcott, The Ox, Gibbs, Jenkinson and if we include UK then Ramsay.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 05:53 PM
  #205
BladesofSTEELwFIRE
Registered User
 
BladesofSTEELwFIRE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propane Nightmares View Post
They've been in Division 1 ever since it has been called that
Sorry, I meant the main division that goes to IIHF World Championships every year. I have NEVER seen them in that group and you know they'd be killed if they were in it. I bet Japan could even beat Great Britain.

BladesofSTEELwFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 06:06 PM
  #206
Darren Peng
Nang
 
Darren Peng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 70,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSTEELwFIRE View Post
Sorry, I meant the main division that goes to IIHF World Championships every year. I have NEVER seen them in that group and you know they'd be killed if they were in it. I bet Japan could even beat Great Britain.
Have you come to contribute to the thread or to tell us how crap we are?

Darren Peng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 06:38 PM
  #207
3 Minute Minor
Registered User
 
3 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Denmark
Posts: 4,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSTEELwFIRE View Post
Sorry, I meant the main division that goes to IIHF World Championships every year. I have NEVER seen them in that group and you know they'd be killed if they were in it. I bet Japan could even beat Great Britain.
Do you have something against Japan, racist?

3 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 09:46 PM
  #208
BladesofSTEELwFIRE
Registered User
 
BladesofSTEELwFIRE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow Boat View Post
Do you have something against Japan, racist?
LOL..how is that racist against Japan?? I said Japan could BEAT Britain.

BladesofSTEELwFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 10:32 PM
  #209
3 Minute Minor
Registered User
 
3 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Denmark
Posts: 4,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSTEELwFIRE View Post
LOL..how is that racist against Japan?? I said Japan could BEAT Britain.
That is what we call a "backhanded compliment"

3 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 11:46 PM
  #210
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 4,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSTEELwFIRE View Post
LOL..how is that racist against Japan?? I said Japan could BEAT Britain.
Well, yeah, but why are you stating the obvious? You seem to not be following what's going on in Division I, otherwise you'd have noticed what Japan has done in the past and what they're doing now in terms of their on-ice performance. If you paid more attention, you'd also have noticed their IIHF world ranking is ahead of Great Britain at the moment.

And I believe you said even Japan could beat Britain.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 09:42 AM
  #211
varsaku
Registered User
 
varsaku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: United States
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,476
vCash: 480
I got the numbers from http://www.iihf.com/iihf-home/the-ii...ey-of-players/
Its 2013 numbers

Great Britain
Population: 63,395,574
Total Registered Players: 6,798
Senior Registered Players: 2,289
U20 Registered Players: 3,815
Female Registered Players: 694
Male Referees: 292
Female Referees: 27
Indoor Rinks: 84
Outdoor Rinks: 0

France
Population: 65,951,611
Total Registered Players: 18,041
Senior Registered Players: 6,763
U20 Registered Players: 10,022
Female Registered Players: 1,256
Male Referees: 99
Female Referees: 7
Indoor Rinks: 124
Outdoor Rinks: 5

I feel the best way to grow a sport is getting more kids to start playing the sport. These pro teams in Great Britain and France need to spend more on youth squads or set up a youth hockey program. They need to market the sport more by getting it in the media more often.

varsaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 10:07 AM
  #212
3 Minute Minor
Registered User
 
3 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Denmark
Posts: 4,611
vCash: 500
More youth in GB will just result in more youth in GB being developed poorly... and the few quality kids will still be mismanaged once they get to senior hockey because they don't understand how to develop players.

3 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 10:37 AM
  #213
varsaku
Registered User
 
varsaku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: United States
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,476
vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow Boat View Post
More youth in GB will just result in more youth in GB being developed poorly... and the few quality kids will still be mismanaged once they get to senior hockey because they don't understand how to develop players.
Most of the EIHL head coaches are Canadians. I am pretty sure they can get some former CHL players to coach the youth squad or minor league teams. They can bring the training techniques the Canadian major junior leagues use. With the number of players going through CHL, I bet there will be a few willing to move and become a coach. I pretty sure they can find people who are willing to take a lower salary so they can continue to be a part of hockey. So these teams won't have to break the bank to get a youth squad going.

varsaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 11:51 AM
  #214
3 Minute Minor
Registered User
 
3 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Denmark
Posts: 4,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by varsaku View Post
Most of the EIHL head coaches are Canadians. I am pretty sure they can get some former CHL players to coach the youth squad or minor league teams. They can bring the training techniques the Canadian major junior leagues use. With the number of players going through CHL, I bet there will be a few willing to move and become a coach. I pretty sure they can find people who are willing to take a lower salary so they can continue to be a part of hockey. So these teams won't have to break the bank to get a youth squad going.
There are tons of opportunities for youth coaches in Canada though. Why would a young coach choose to leave home, where their teams are more competitive and have more resources to work with, to coach to in a country where hockey is often at the bottom of the sport totem pole?

3 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 12:03 PM
  #215
Darren Peng
Nang
 
Darren Peng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 70,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by varsaku View Post
Most of the EIHL head coaches are Canadians. I am pretty sure they can get some former CHL players to coach the youth squad or minor league teams. They can bring the training techniques the Canadian major junior leagues use. With the number of players going through CHL, I bet there will be a few willing to move and become a coach. I pretty sure they can find people who are willing to take a lower salary so they can continue to be a part of hockey. So these teams won't have to break the bank to get a youth squad going.
Yes, most are Canadians and PLAYER COACHES, hired to SAVE MONEY because they can't even afford one extra guy on a payroll

And you think clubs will splash out extra cash for coaches for their youth system (which many of them aren't actually attached to as part of one organisation)?

Darren Peng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 01:11 PM
  #216
3 Minute Minor
Registered User
 
3 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Denmark
Posts: 4,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propane Nightmares View Post
Yes, most are Canadians and PLAYER COACHES, hired to SAVE MONEY because they can't even afford one extra guy on a payroll

And you think clubs will splash out extra cash for coaches for their youth system (which many of them aren't actually attached to as part of one organisation)?
I still think the day that changes is the day things start turning around... worked for Sweden.

Senior clubs look after everything top to bottom and rely on developing their homegrowns rather than buying 11 Johnny ECHLers every year and ignoring their own guys.


Unfortunately the majority of the GB hockey community can't see more than 1 issue at a time.

3 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 01:14 PM
  #217
Darren Peng
Nang
 
Darren Peng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 70,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow Boat View Post
I still think the day that changes is the day things start turning around... worked for Sweden.

Senior clubs look after everything top to bottom and rely on developing their homegrowns rather than buying 11 Johnny ECHLers every year and ignoring their own guys.


Unfortunately the majority of the GB hockey community can't see more than 1 issue at a time.
Soon to be 12 and then 13 Johnny ECHLers

Darren Peng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 01:25 PM
  #218
3 Minute Minor
Registered User
 
3 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Denmark
Posts: 4,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propane Nightmares View Post
Soon to be 12 and then 13 Johnny ECHLers
Turns out they only folded BISL so they could rename the league without the word "British" & then remove the Brits.

3 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 02:49 PM
  #219
BladesofSTEELwFIRE
Registered User
 
BladesofSTEELwFIRE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Well, yeah, but why are you stating the obvious? You seem to not be following what's going on in Division I, otherwise you'd have noticed what Japan has done in the past and what they're doing now in terms of their on-ice performance. If you paid more attention, you'd also have noticed their IIHF world ranking is ahead of Great Britain at the moment.

And I believe you said even Japan could beat Britain.
You know the conventional wisdom is Euro teams are much better than Asian teams at ice hockey. So I just gave it some emphasis that in this case the Asian team is clearly better!

BladesofSTEELwFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.