HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#42 Kings get BJ'd ... Can we just STOP w/ Afternoon games already ?

Old
01-07-2012, 07:00 PM
topliner967

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Why is this so hard for some people to understand?
What was the problem this season when TM was coaching then? Last season they scored more and played better (had puck possession in corners, cycling the puck and wearing other teams out). Is it because they've lost Smyth and Handzus, who fit that kind of system better, and now that we've brought in Richards/Gagne we need to have a more flying offence?

Not trying to be sarcastic, just wondering what people on these board think the issue is; the talent/skill is there, but it's much the same talent that played better last season.

topliner967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 07:00 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
I think you might be right 25. I can tell you this much, it wasn't DS's idea. There was talk going around that he had a couple of people in mind when he was offered the job then all of the sudden he was the existing coaches.

DL might just be in the process of losing his job as a result.
That;s a piss poor decision by DL then if that's the case.

If Sutter had a staff in mind, and you want him to coach the team, you let him coach the damn team, you don't push guys on him...

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 07:01 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Yes but to be clear there isn't ANY reason to be bashing the team.

They are playing EXACTLY the way the TM system (Stevens, Kompon etc) set them up to play. DS simply has to change this or it is DL's tail.

Blaming the team is like blaming the ocean for leveling your outer banks beach house. You knew about the Hurricanes before you built it.

DS is supposedly our new HEAD COACH. He and ONLY he should be allowed to determine who he has working under him.

The team can only do what it is told to do. Otherwise players start losing ice time and PP play etc. You do what you are told to do and do it the way you are told to do so. That is why we get new players who can score when they get here and then start trailing off after they are here for a little bit. They get told how to play the MURRAY (now DL way) way and when they do the O goes down the pooper.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 07:02 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
What makes you guys think that JQ would be more upset than the rest of the team?

It's a ****in team game!! Get it through your heads. JQ is not the victim here.
*EXACTLY* correct.

THe team plays huge in front of him in our own end and JQ plays HUGE behind them. Team game and team successes.

Old
01-07-2012, 07:03 PM
Ajtacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
From the GDT:

LOL, 9 of the 30 arenas are also used by NBA teams and plenty of them are winning teams. *cough* Boston, Philadelphia, NY Rangers, Toronto (WHAT?), New Jersey.
I remember reading an article on the boards about players saying how bad the ice is in TSC, and that was before the NBA season started.

Edit link http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1052831

Ajtacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 07:04 PM
eleventy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
A trade isn't going to get the Kings scoring. The philosophy needs to change. This is Lombardi/Sutter hockey.

The pieces are here, just need a new direction
This right here. A trade won't do squat. The offensive system needs a complete makeover. There is absolutely no offensive identity to this team.

- our shots are all pointless blue line floaters.
- offensive penetration consists of skating it in along the boards and pulling up.
- dump-ins give the other team the puck.
- long passes leave the puck carrier alone with no other options except to do points 2 and 3 above.

it's not even a nutshell. that's all we do.

eleventy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 07:05 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

A boycott is in order until Kompon is shown the door.

Ridiculous that he is still on the payroll for such an atrocious performance over a huge stretch of games.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MynameisKing

Do the Kings play against their D and shoot on Quick in practice? Shouldn't that make them better offensively because they are going against the tops in the league in practice so the games should be easier! Right? Or maybe that is what's killing their confidence?

MynameisKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
EvoLu7ioN

Van fan here, I come in peace! It's been too small of a sample size to tell for sure, but man, it just seems to me like Sutter is the wrong fit for you given all the offensive weapons you guys possess. Teams like Minnesota, Nashville, Phoenix etc. have to play a slower system because they lack quality players, if they don't they lose. LA has so many damn weapons at both forward and D, as well as a stud goalie to boot, why the hell aren't you guys playing a system similiar to the NYR or Pittsburgh...

EvoLu7ioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajtacker View Post
I remember reading an article on the boards about players saying how bad the ice is in TSC, and that was before the NBA season started.
TSC?

Vamos Rafa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 07:06 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

The Kings haven't scored a goal in regulation in 158:26. That's really all I've got to say about that.

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 07:06 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
TSC?
The Staples Center.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 07:07 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoLu7ioN View Post
Van fan here, I come in peace! It's been too small of a sample size to tell for sure, but man, it just seems to me like Sutter is the wrong fit for you given all the offensive weapons you guys possess. Teams like Minnesota, Nashville, Phoenix etc. have to play a slower system because they lack quality players, if they don't they lose. LA has so many damn weapons at both forward and D, as well as a stud goalie to boot, why the hell aren't you guys playing a system similiar to the NYR or Pittsburgh...
Dean Lombardi would never hire a guy who would play that type of system. It seems we might be biding our time until Lombardi is shown the door.

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 07:07 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Kings are becoming the joke of the NHL.

UPDATED: In last 21 games the Kings have scored 1.57 GPG in regulation, have potted two goals or less 19 times (91%) & have gone 9-8-4.
Considering the GPG stat, the record is actually fairly impressive.

I wonder if a team has ever finished under 2.00 goals per game for the season. Kings have a chance.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 07:09 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Yes but to be clear there isn't ANY reason to be bashing the team.

They are playing EXACTLY the way the TM system (Stevens, Kompon etc) set them up to play. DS simply has to change this or it is DL's tail.

Blaming the team is like blaming the ocean for leveling your outer banks beach house. You knew about the Hurricanes before you built it.

DS is supposedly our new HEAD COACH. He and ONLY he should be allowed to determine who he has working under him.

The team can only do what it is told to do. Otherwise players start losing ice time and PP play etc. You do what you are told to do and do it the way you are told to do so. That is why we get new players who can score when they get here and then start trailing off after they are here for a little bit. They get told how to play the MURRAY (now DL way) way and when they do the O goes down the pooper.
It's actually a perfect storm I feel.

Losing Zues/symth/Simmer, has impacted this team for the worse. If Dean is so bent on running the Same system, he should have never let those guys out of LA.

This current roster doesn't play that system down low Consistently. Also what the hell is whith Jack/Drew; They wait all the time for Defenders to get into position.

I know for a fact that is not on ANY coaches diagram. Firing Stevens/Komp whatever is not going to make a lick of difference.

This roster can't score, by now they should have scored at 2.5 Goal pace by accident.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 07:10 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

I know this isn't going to happen, but this is the conversation/meeting that needs to happen TONIGHT between Lie-weekly and Lombardi:

TL: "So, you're firing Kompon and Stevens (or at the VERY least Kompon) tonight and allowing Sutter to pick their replacements, right?"

DL: "No, it's not the coaches, it's the players who aren't performing under the coaches. You can clearly see that by the lack of offense after we replaced Murray."

TL: "Let me be crystal-clear, then. Either you fire Kompon TONIGHT, or it's you who's going to get a pink slip, along with Kompon when I fire him after I fire you. Capice?"

DL: "..."

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 07:10 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
The bottom six isn't good enough for any team, all system arguments aside. With Gagne out, the top two lines aren't either...Penner is the defacto proven scoring left winger on the squad. Putting guys like Lewis and Richardson in the lineup makes a bad situation worse.

The GM needs to be replaced and a new guy can make the roster adjustments. I'm much more comfortable with someone else doing the tweaking than I am with DL. Then move forward from there.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 07:11 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
That;s a piss poor decision by DL then if that's the case.

If Sutter had a staff in mind, and you want him to coach the team, you let him coach the damn team, you don't push guys on him...
Yep but that is what seems to be the case. Keeping Stevens and co was supposed to be for our benefit. Well, you can clearly see that we are absolutely NOT benefiting from sticking to TM's outdated system and staff.

Time to hand the ENTIRE reigns to DS or simply just fire them all from top to bottom.

Someone said that DL was pouting about having to fire TM and was very very angry at the fans for raising such a stink and that we caused TM to lose his job. I don't know if that is true or not and in fact it seems unlikely to me but from the moment that DS said that he decided to go with the idea that he keep Stevens and co around so the players can play within a system that they are used to I began wondering why.

DS may coach a defencive style but he all about BALANCE.

Balanced attack.

Balanced D.

Balance.

We are a one trick pony and THAT is why TM had to go.

Never been one to call for DL's head but he has made a *serious* mistake by saddling DS with the Grandmaw Murray regects and it is time he lets it go.

I love DS for getting the attention of the team but anyone can see that we are playing old school one sided "force the other guys to make a mistake and then pounce" B.S. not gonna work hockey.

DS has made some good changes so far but if the team is playing a system that has simply stopped out ability to score and KILLED all creative attacking then it is time for him to insist on bringing in the people who can help him build the system that HE wants in place.

This may be in the process of happening right now but until it does we are going to continue to struggle to score a single goal against the worst team in the NHL.

The good news is that we will be in every game until the very end.

The bad news is that we have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than enough talent to where a balanced team effort would allow us to build a lead and then sit on it with our D if we only had coaching that directed the team to do so.

Old
01-07-2012, 07:12 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleventy View Post
This right here. A trade won't do squat. The offensive system needs a complete makeover. There is absolutely no offensive identity to this team.

- our shots are all pointless blue line floaters.
- offensive penetration consists of skating it in along the boards and pulling up.
- dump-ins give the other team the puck.
- long passes leave the puck carrier alone with no other options except to do points 2 and 3 above.

it's not even a nutshell. that's all we do.
And does anyone else notice that this team has no clue what to do with an odd-man rush. Even dating back to last year, the Kings have got to be the least dangerous team in the league on a 3-on-2. Not only do they fail to score, but they're lucky if the puck even makes it to the slot before the back-checkers neutralize them. It's gotten to the point where I'm not even excited when one develops.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 07:13 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Quote:
Before the game, Dustin Penner was announced as being a healthy scratch. The sold out crowd cheered. How’s that for confidence building? Then during the broadcast it was announced Penner had left the building. Oh, PLEASE! Waivers, Edmonton, Pawtucket, ANYWHERE! Hammond chimed in with “upper body injury.” What, a bruised ego constitutes “upper body injury?”
He left? Ok.

http://bigmouthbarry.com/2012/01/07/...inus-40-games/

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 07:13 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Quote:
The Staples Center.
Well, in that case, bad ice shouldn't be blamed on the fact that the arena is also used by the NBA. The grounds crew at Staples are amateurs.

Vamos Rafa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Also what the hell is whith Jack/Drew; They wait all the time for Defenders to get into position.
I'm not going to make excuses, but as Fox pointed out numerous times, Dustin Brown SUCKS at screening the goaltender. They are waiting for someone to get in front of the goaltender for a screen but nothing is happening. Then when they do shoot DB just moves to the side to not get hit with the puck, giving the goalie an easy save.

At this point every forward, and I mean every forward needs to be up on the trading block. They need help.

Winger23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 07:17 PM
TheSlovenian

Next game is against Capitals. Do they score goals? Who is Ovechkin?

TheSlovenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 07:18 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Well, in that case, bad ice shouldn't be blamed on the fact that the arena is also used by the NBA. The grounds crew at Staples are amateurs.
Don't get me started.

It's in large-part their own fault.

A) The Kings don't do their morning skate in the building, opposing teams do.
B) The toyota sports center is set at ideal temperature (55 degrees), they can't do that at Staples Center. Especially on a double-header day.
C) If they were more specific about whats wrong with it, perhaps it could be fixed. Rather than just saying "it sucks" as they usually put on the reports.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 07:18 PM
Ajtacker

Quote:
Eactly, I'm not saying the NBA is an excuse, I'm saying our ice is awful, and I blame it for Kopi's broken leg last year.

Ajtacker is offline   Reply With Quote