HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Should Marchand be suspended for his low hit on Salo (with poll this time!)

View Poll Results: Does Marchand deserve a suspension for his low hit on Salo?
Yes, it deserves a minor suspension (1-4 games) 112 30.43%
Yes, it deserves a major suspension (5+ games) 146 39.67%
No, the assessed penalty was adequate punishment 78 21.20%
Comedy option: It didn't even warrant a penalty, let alone a suspension 32 8.70%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-08-2012, 01:11 PM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanHortonFan View Post
2 minute minor was all it was worthy of. Take away embellishment by Salo and it definitely wouldn't have earned Marchand and 5 + Game.

Mega "lol" if Salo really received a concussion to his thigh after the hit.
Are you that dense? You can't seriously have been brainwashed to believe that?

The Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 01:13 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafoomie View Post
I'm simply pointing out the double standard going on here, but if that's too complicated I'll try and dumb it down for you.
Very different hit. Marchand was coming at him to make a hit and he went low.

Versus Salo, Marchand pretended to have the intent of playing the puck, only to "surprise" him with a very low hit, resulting in a concussion.

We keep hearing that there is a lack of respect in the game today and as a result we are seeing wreckless hits that are resulting in injuries (concussions being the most noteworthy). The hit on Salo was a textbook example of having absolutely no respect for your opponent and his safety. He pretended to go after the puck in an attempt to position his opponent for a dangerous hit.

jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 02:06 PM
Dellstrom
Pastrnasty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lui View Post
I love it! Bruins fans admitting Marchand is afraid of Daniel Sedin, the little girl who isn't tough enough otherwise to be in the game...

Anyways, Salo is out with a concussion from the hit:
Wait what? Afraid? He did it because he wasn't going to do nothing with someone coming right at him at full speed. What is he supposed to do, just let him hit him? That's what the Sedins do.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 02:10 PM
StandingCow

Probably 4 games.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 02:20 PM
Intentional Icing
why you little!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
We keep hearing that there is a lack of respect in the game today and as a result we are seeing wreckless hits that are resulting in injuries (concussions being the most noteworthy). The hit on Salo was a textbook example of having absolutely no respect for your opponent and his safety. He pretended to go after the puck in an attempt to position his opponent for a dangerous hit.
This a million times over. If Braddy Poo PLAYED THE PUCK LIKE YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO IN THE SPORT OF HOCKEY, none of this discussion would ever be happening, he wouldn't have a meeting with Shanny and maybe the Bruins would have won the game.

Braddy Poo should be so embarrassed with the move that he did. Why go for the questionably illegal hit at the knees instead of playing the puck? I just don't understand it. If he doesn't get a suspension for this hit and I was Claude J., I would sit him for a couple of games so he can think about what he did.

Gutless move by a shell of a human.

Intentional Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 02:29 PM
BostonAJ

He's the new Ken Linseman. I'll take a suspension once a year or so to have that guy on my team. It's worth it.

BostonAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 02:37 PM
HyPnOtiK

I hate Marchand..... I put him in the Cooke category... But this is not suspension worthy, the dude was just trying to avoid a hit, he wasn't intending Injury to salo, did he bridge him? Yes... Was it a 5 min penalty? Arguably, but I say yes. Suspension? No. If salo isn't hurt here no one is even thinking about a suspension, or a 5 min major.

HyPnOtiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 02:39 PM
HyPnOtiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lui View Post
I love it! Bruins fans admitting Marchand is afraid of Daniel Sedin, the little girl who isn't tough enough otherwise to be in the game...

Anyways, Salo is out with a concussion from the hit:
I don't think anyone could possibly be afraid of a sedin... No offense but numerous times I've seen them skate to the bench during a 5 on 5 scuffle while someone was tugging on them.

HyPnOtiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 04:43 PM
wej20

Glad to see Marchand is going the self defence route

Quote:
"I think, in this league nowadays, with the size and strength of guys, everyone has to protect himself and different guys do it in different ways. In a game like last night when there's a lot of emotions and guys are running around a bit, you're definitely watching over your shoulder a little bit more and you want to try and protect yourself as much as you can. When you have a guy coming in on you, you have no idea what his intentions are and what the outcome's going to be. You're just trying to protect yourself in that situation."
Julien also seems to suggest Salo is taking a run at Marchand

Quote:
"So I think we have to really look at those kinds of things. In my opinion, if guys start protecting themselves the way Marchand did, maybe guys will stop taking runs at other guys because that's the consequences you end up paying for taking runs at guys, too. Who knows where we're going to go with this? I know we're all trying hard to fix that part of the game, but it's still there, and it's still not fixed."
A few thoughts here:

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 04:45 PM
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Actually, I was hoping you would. What rule changed in the offseason to make this illegal now when it obviously wasn't before?
Intent to injure. Similar to head shots being called.

LiquidSnake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 06:04 PM
BostonAJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Intent to injure. Similar to head shots being called.
The NHL is really tight about using the Intent to Injure rule. You pretty much have to run out there with a knife to get one.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:06 PM
IBLeaf*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post

Rats won't ever admit anything.

IBLeaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 06:08 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesplen View Post
Should Marchand be suspended for his low hit on Salo?
I think the comedy option should be 5+ games. 1 game at most.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 06:08 PM
BostonAJ

Hurting Salo should not count as a suspension. That should just be an NHL rule.

Old
01-08-2012, 08:03 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post

Aren't you a Mod? Seems like baiting right here....

But I'll semi-bite.

Marchand is 5'7ish, getting hit by someone 6'3ish. Marchand was technically protecting himself, because even a clean hit from a bigger guy to a much smaller one can lead to a hit to the head of [Marchand].

He ducks the hit to protect himself from getting absolutely wrecked in a huge hit. I hope he continues to do this. Every. Single. Time. If he were 6'2 and doing this, it would be pathetic, I give you that much.

Julien has gone of record to say he wants his players to protect themselves however necessary pretty much. And I agree, as a Bruins fan, Bruins players >> other player when it comes to concussions; better them than us. Especially after such devastating ones as we've dealt with between Bergeron and Savard, especially.

PatriceBergeronFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 08:10 PM
ThereGoesVirtanen
#53...the future

Quote:
He ducks the hit to protect himself from getting absolutely wrecked in a huge hit.
Like the absolutely huge hit he took in the same spot from the same player fifteen seconds earlier?

ThereGoesVirtanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 08:14 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
Keep whining about it, doesn't change the fact that the rat deserves a long suspension.
Why? If you can admit that the hits are the same, why should they be treated differently?

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 08:18 PM
nitric
German Engineering

I could care less if Marchand gets a suspension or not. Whatever happens, happens. He plays on the edge and is a huge agitator and will one day get his ass beat by someone who decided to stick up for their own teammates, which most teams don't seem to understand the concept of.

What is the real strange thing here, is not that Marchand possibly threw a dirty hit, is the complete meltdown of 90% of posters when anything has to do with the Bruins.

Hits like these happen, whether they are right or not. There have been some dirty hits this season, and as long as it is commited by a player not on the Bruins, the threads get maybe 200 comments and fade away. If it is a Bruin, there are part 3 and 4's of threads, dozens of polls about the hit, people crying left and right. It's so weird.

It's too bad that none of the golden boys on your own teams haven't figured out that if they don't like something the Bruins are doing, they can,you know, ****ing DO something about it. (This does not include crying to the media).

nitric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 11:07 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitric View Post
Hits like these happen, whether they are right or not. There have been some dirty hits this season, and as long as it is commited by a player not on the Bruins, the threads get maybe 200 comments and fade away. If it is a Bruin, there are part 3 and 4's of threads, dozens of polls about the hit, people crying left and right. It's so weird.
It's not weird. The Bruins throw more borderline and dirty hits than any other team in the league. This reputation didn't just come out of nowhere.

Anyways, I would love to see Shanny make a statement...Give him 5 games, and tell him that the next dirty hit he throws, regardless of the severity, will have him miss the rest of the season and playoffs. The guy is still young, his behaviour can be modified. Look at Downie...Gets a 25 game suspension in his first exhibition game, and his dirty play steadily decreased after that.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 11:45 PM
RandyRolfe

Marchand will get 7+ because this is his 3rd infarction. He got 2 for a head shot and fined for a slew foot. A clipping suspension will almost round it out. He needs a spear.

The guy is dirty. I think it's funny, him and Burrows are the same player. Exactly the same. The only thing that separates the two is that Burrows has never been suspended and the only fine he got was for calling out a referee.

RandyRolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 11:53 PM
RandyRolfe

The reason people jump on the Bruins is because teams have usually only one player on the edge. Boston's top players play on the edge. Good or bad the B's are the new Broadstreet Bullies and the fans and even players, ie Joe Thorton last season calling out Colin Campbell, think that they are getting away with more then the average team.

RandyRolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 11:53 PM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
It's not weird. The Bruins throw more borderline and dirty hits than any other team in the league. This reputation didn't just come out of nowhere.

Anyways, I would love to see Shanny make a statement...Give him 5 games, and tell him that the next dirty hit he throws, regardless of the severity, will have him miss the rest of the season and playoffs. The guy is still young, his behaviour can be modified. Look at Downie...Gets a 25 game suspension in his first exhibition game, and his dirty play steadily decreased after that.
I love Montreal fans... They never overreact to anything.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 11:58 PM
KesGold17

The interesting thing is most of you advocating the play either didn't watch the game or haven't seen the full clip. Marchand clearly punched Salo in the head twice before he low-bridged him, which was a clear intent to injure. I've said in another thread I believe he will get 3 games, but should get 4-5. That kind of play cannot stay in the game of hockey.

KesGold17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:14 AM
kes17

Quote:
2 minute minor was all it was worthy of. Take away embellishment by Salo and it definitely wouldn't have earned Marchand and 5 + Game.

Mega "lol" if Salo really received a concussion to his thigh after the hit.
You want to take a look at a major embellishment? Take a good ****ing look at your username pal.

Who the **** gets a severe concussion then goes out and cheers their brains out the next game?
Thanks to Dr.Recchi for that, but if it were up to him Pacioretty's should just got up after that hit.

When you see guys like Crosby, Savard, Pronger... All having to end their season's because of a legit concussion, and then you see the Bruins make a joke of the word by even having Horton out in daylight in a great example of that that organization is.

Oh and can Claude Julien and Marchand show me three example of when Sami Freakin Salo has ever tried to hit a guy in what could be considered a dangerous position/

kes17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:28 AM
YogiCanucks

vCash: 50
Quote:
How many games for this other low hit?

Really? I'm not going to say that is a clean hit by any means, however this is not a game after Marchand did his silly lowbridge act on Daniel Sedin (again does not make it right).

However, there are 3 differences.

1. It was not deemed to be clipping
2. It was not interference
3. There was no malicious intent (/Raymond doesn't have a history)

If Raymond had clipped a Bruin, while neither of them had control of the puck and clearly had the intention of flipping him.. then Raymond should get 5+

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote