HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Should Marchand be suspended for his low hit on Salo (with poll this time!)

View Poll Results: Does Marchand deserve a suspension for his low hit on Salo?
Yes, it deserves a minor suspension (1-4 games) 112 30.43%
Yes, it deserves a major suspension (5+ games) 146 39.67%
No, the assessed penalty was adequate punishment 78 21.20%
Comedy option: It didn't even warrant a penalty, let alone a suspension 32 8.70%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-09-2012, 12:30 AM
YogiCanucks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kes17 View Post
You want to take a look at a major embellishment? Take a good ****ing look at your username pal.

Who the **** gets a severe concussion then goes out and cheers their brains out the next game?

Thanks to Dr.Recchi for that, but if it were up to him Pacioretty's should just got up after that hit.

When you see guys like Crosby, Savard, Pronger... All having to end their season's because of a legit concussion, and then you see the Bruins make a joke of the word by even having Horton out in daylight in a great example of that that organization is.

Oh and can Claude Julien and Marchand show me three example of when Sami Freakin Salo has ever tried to hit a guy in what could be considered a dangerous position/
You can't really blame Horton for that. That was their GM (15 minutes before the Rome hearing) sending out a presser that was, in hindsight, not 100% factual. But it wasn't like Horton said anything or did anything that other players wouldn't have.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:34 AM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonAJ View Post
Hurting Salo should not count as a suspension. That should just be an NHL rule.
If Horton gets up Rome gets 2 minutes for interference... but he was hurt so he got 5 minutes + 4 games in the SCF.

If Salo gets up Marchand gets 2 minutes for interference/clipping... but he was hurt so...

If person X attempts to murder person Y but fails it's a far less crime than if they succeed. This is part of our society, if you want to argue that then be my guest but do it on a macro scale not in this one off incident.

Old
01-09-2012, 12:36 AM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesGold17 View Post
The interesting thing is most of you advocating the play either didn't watch the game or haven't seen the full clip. Marchand clearly punched Salo in the head twice before he low-bridged him, which was a clear intent to injure. I've said in another thread I believe he will get 3 games, but should get 4-5. That kind of play cannot stay in the game of hockey.
The puck in the head is really a non-factor (other than maybe deeming intent). The far more interesting thing about the full clip is that Salo and Marchand went into the corner not 15 seconds before and had a standard hockey shoulder-to-shoulder contact. There was no need for Marchand to "defend" himself and Salo had no intents to "run" Marchand.

EDIT: SHOULD HAVE MULTIQUOTED!!

Old
01-09-2012, 12:46 AM
compan

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
If Horton gets up Rome gets 2 minutes for interference... but he was hurt so he got 5 minutes + 4 games in the SCF.

If Salo gets up Marchand gets 2 minutes for interference/clipping... but he was hurt so...

If person X attempts to murder person Y but fails it's a far less crime than if they succeed. This is part of our society, if you want to argue that then be my guest but do it on a macro scale not in this one off incident.
This is pretty much it. Salo doesn't get injured, these threads are also half the size and half the quantity.

compan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:47 AM
CamFan81
Derp

Absolutely not. No games, shouldn't even of been a penalty.

Ballard had a hit that was even lower than the marchand hit that didn't even get a call. (later on in the same period)

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:58 AM
GreatGonzo
Registered Derp

he shouldn't get suspended at all. It was a cheap hit but wasn't illegal.

This is the same type of hit. Again, cheap, but legal. No suspension at all.

GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:58 AM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafoomie View Post
I'm simply pointing out the double standard going on here, but if that's too complicated I'll try and dumb it down for you.
No double standard. Just simply too sensitive fan. This thread is about the hit with Salo. And you cant deny that it was a cheap **** from Marchand. So either comment on that, or GTFO!

TAnnala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:59 AM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by compan View Post
This is pretty much it. Salo doesn't get injured, these threads are also half the size and half the quantity.
The point is, he WAS injured, thus these thread and a suspension is fully warrented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamFan81 View Post
Absolutely not. No games, shouldn't even of been a penalty.

Ballard had a hit that was even lower than the marchand hit that didn't even get a call. (later on in the same period)
While going low is "dirty" that's not exactly what makes Marchands hit dirty. It's a combination of a couple things.

1. Neither player had the puck so it was an interference play
2. Marchand faked into a shoulder-to-shoulder contact then ducked low
3. He went low
4. A player was injured on a illegal hockey play

Also personally I think another thing that should be taken into consideration is the fact the two went shoulder-to-shoulder 15 seconds before on a normal hockey play, Marchand got mad that he lost the puck and was jabbing at Salo and the next time they re-engaged he pulled this stunt.

Old
01-09-2012, 01:00 AM
Grub
First Line Troll

vCash: 883
Just watching all these videos makes you want to go out there and beat the living crap out of Marchand. These threads are not good for your health. Think about it folks, you are angry right now just by reading this thread (if you are a Canucks fan at least). There is no point in arguing with these Bruin fans because they have their opinions and a different point of view. Save your energy and do something else folks if you find yourself imagining punching Marchand in the head until he dies or something.

Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:06 AM
WTFetus

It'd be ironic if it was Ballard instead of Salo.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigh View Post
Quoted so it's harder for the lemmings to ignore.
Really, you too. I love the Bruins and was thrilled about their Cup. I despite the Sedins and hate the Canucks. But you can not be serious. Lemmings? That hit was 6 months ago! Get over it. You have the cup! Enough?

What Marchand did was disgusting. He did go way too down, this is a thread about that. You want to find every single dirty hit against Boston player, ever, and come back here with those? Discuss about the play on the OT and stop whining about 6 months old hits. (Which by the way happened on the Stanley Cup Finals, in case you havenīt noticed it is easier to get emotionally overthrown)

Old
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub View Post
Just watching all these videos makes you want to go out there and beat the living crap out of Marchand. These threads are not good for your health. Think about it folks, you are angry right now just by reading this thread (if you are a Canucks fan at least). There is no point in arguing with these Bruin fans because they have their opinions and a different point of view. Save your energy and do something else folks if you find yourself imagining punching Marchand in the head until he dies or something.
What frustrates me most is when you have some Bruins posters come and say "Oh went a non Canucks/Habs/Philly fan says something I'll listen".. Then you have all these Oilers/Leafs/SJ/ect fans come and say "I really hate the Canucks but that was a dirty dirty hit". But they don't listen

Y U NO LISTEN!?

Old
01-09-2012, 01:08 AM
CamFan81
Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
Really, you too. I love the Bruins and was thrilled about their Cup. I despite the Sedins and hate the Canucks. But you can not be serious. Lemmings? That hit was 6 months ago! Get over it. You have the cup! Enough?

What Marchand did was disgusting. He did go way too down, this is a thread about that. You want to find every single dirty hit against Boston player, ever, and come back here with those? Discuss about the play on the OT and stop whining about 6 months old hits. (Which by the way happened on the Stanley Cup Finals, in case you havenīt noticed it is easier to get emotionally overthrown)
what about a hit later on that period?

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:09 AM
GreatGonzo
Registered Derp

Not gonna lie. This Bruins/Canucks **** talking is getting old and ruins threads. It's only gonna get worse when the playoffs start.

GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:18 AM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanHortonFan View Post
Aren't you a Mod? Seems like baiting right here....

But I'll semi-bite.

Marchand is 5'7ish, getting hit by someone 6'3ish. Marchand was technically protecting himself, because even a clean hit from a bigger guy to a much smaller one can lead to a hit to the head of [Marchand].

He ducks the hit to protect himself from getting absolutely wrecked in a huge hit. I hope he continues to do this. Every. Single. Time. If he were 6'2 and doing this, it would be pathetic, I give you that much.

Julien has gone of record to say he wants his players to protect themselves however necessary pretty much. And I agree, as a Bruins fan, Bruins players >> other player when it comes to concussions; better them than us. Especially after such devastating ones as we've dealt with between Bergeron and Savard, especially.
So, Martin St. Louis should also duck down and hurt other players when they try to hit. And every other player under 6". Maybe make a rule against hitting players less than 190 pounds and under 6"?

What Marchand did, was obviously borderline to suspension if not an suspension. Otherwise it would have not gotten this much attention and the league would not be looking in to it.

Old
01-09-2012, 01:21 AM
Shaun
beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyRolfe View Post
Marchand will get 7+ because this is his 3rd infarction. He got 2 for a head shot and fined for a slew foot. A clipping suspension will almost round it out. He needs a spear.

The guy is dirty. I think it's funny, him and Burrows are the same player. Exactly the same. The only thing that separates the two is that Burrows has never been suspended and the only fine he got was for calling out a referee.
Sir, he will not get 7 games. Want to know why? Well phone hearings carry a maximum of 5 games and if something really bad happens the player has a face to face hearing in which they can be assessed 5+ games.

Shouldn't even be a game suspension.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:44 AM
Daynz
What!?!

At least suspend him for the Jets/Bruins game on Tuesday.

Daynz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:52 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Are you serious? When you leave the puck and intentionally try to injure a player, you're gonna get suspended.

Honestly, I don't see why a Bruins playoff opponent that's had guys lost to injury from dirty Bruins hits doesn't just run Thomas/Rask or Seguin

5RingsAndABeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 02:03 AM
Reikai
Neutral fan

How can anyone say that's not suspension worthy and link some other videos that arent even close to this? Marchand's play wasnt really even a hit, more like a trip. You cant go down like that unless you're going for hip check, but that was one of the dirtiest things you can do. At least Salo wasnt going for hard hit otherwise it could've been worse.

Reikai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 04:19 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
When you leave the puck and intentionally try to injure a player, you're gonna get suspended.
How do you know it was intentional? He goes low to avoid a big hit and Salo, being the glass doll he is, gets injured. If avoiding getting injured yourself is intentionally trying to hurt someone else, good job.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 04:33 AM
Crows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
How do you know it was intentional? He goes low to avoid a big hit and Salo, being the glass doll he is, gets injured. If avoiding getting injured yourself is intentionally trying to hurt someone else, good job.
How anyone can say Sami Salo was going in for a "big hit" and with intent to crush and injure marchand is asinine. The Canucks were on the pp at the time and Salo was pinching down to keep the puck in the zone. You will notice that ONe of the sedins is covering for salo at the point because he's pinching.

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 04:38 AM
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

Minor 3 at best.

Eaglepride* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 04:45 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Three games, but I can see it being zero.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 04:53 AM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
So, Martin St. Louis should also duck down and hurt other players when they try to hit. And every other player under 6". Maybe make a rule against hitting players less than 190 pounds and under 6"?

What Marchand did, was obviously borderline to suspension if not an suspension. Otherwise it would have not gotten this much attention and the league would not be looking in to it.
No he shouldn't be cause I don't want to have to think as a honest hardworking talented player like St Louis as a dirty little coward.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 04:53 AM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Sir, he will not get 7 games. Want to know why? Well phone hearings carry a maximum of 5 games and if something really bad happens the player has a face to face hearing in which they can be assessed 5+ games.

source?

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote