HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Should Marchand be suspended for his low hit on Salo (with poll this time!)

View Poll Results: Does Marchand deserve a suspension for his low hit on Salo?
Yes, it deserves a minor suspension (1-4 games) 112 30.43%
Yes, it deserves a major suspension (5+ games) 146 39.67%
No, the assessed penalty was adequate punishment 78 21.20%
Comedy option: It didn't even warrant a penalty, let alone a suspension 32 8.70%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-09-2012, 05:04 AM
Rooooooooooxxxanne*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
source?
That's been the case for quite some time now... Wetcoaster answered this earlier for me when I wanted clarification (with a source: the CBA).

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=4...&postcount=941

Rooooooooooxxxanne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 05:36 AM
nmbr_24

I know there is bad blood between these 2 teams and their fans are both extremely passionate about them and it is hard to seperate yourself from being a fan and I know a lot fans of other teams hate the Bruins also making it hard to remove emotion from a rational discussion on this subject, but that shouldn't be a suspension if they aren't suspending other players for the exact same thing. He was penalized for it and thrown out of the game, that is enough of a penalty for what he did.

If he is suspended it is solely because he is Brad Marchand otherwise Ballard will be suspended as well, there is no other way to look at it, Ballard's hit was knee level or below, he was coming in faster and Campbell was moving faster. Marchand was barely moving, he hit Salo in the thigh and Salo rolled over his back in what looked like slow motion.

If that is a penalty and suspension worthy it has to be the same for everyone not just the Bruins who are getting hammered for anything they do when other players routinely do the same thing without so much as a penalty.

Let's face it, Boston is being targeted right now and we have all kinds of people in vancouver and montreal calling for their heads for every little thing while they are doing things every bit as bad.

If you really want to penalize players for this kind of stuff then the canucks are going to have to pay the price as well eventually. Ballard's low hit and Burrows spear/slash to the neck of Thornton should also be suspensions.

The canucks threw 3 uncalled headshots in game 7 of the finals last year and Torres got penalized for one that he missed on, why were there no threads calling for suspensions for those hits?

Higgins actually leapt into the air to elbow Chara in the head and there was no call, there was no thread calling for a suspension, and other than a small discussion of how dirty of a hit that was, nothing much ever was said about it.

I can go on and on anout the many dirty plays that don't end in suspensions, but since this is Brad Marchand and he was one of the main reasons that the Bruins beat the canucks in the finals, it isn't much of a jump to imagine that some people are not looking at this hit in an unbiased way and are just feeling a lot of emotion over a playoff series loss.

I wouldn't have a problem if they are going to call that a penalty and give him a suspension, but it needs to be called on everyone then. It wasn't a clean hit, it wasn't technically a hit, Salo hit him and marchand ducked, but still, it was a penalty and it lost the game for the Bruins, that's enough of a penalty in my eyes.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 05:49 AM
Topside

Marchand is entitled to his ice whether he's ducking or not. Salo just ran over top of him. Didn't know ducking was illegal in hockey...

Topside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 07:56 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topside View Post
Marchand is entitled to his ice whether he's ducking or not. Salo just ran over top of him. Didn't know ducking was illegal in hockey...
Simple, to the point, accurate.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 08:28 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Entitled to his ice? Probably the worst argument to this hit that i have seen. I understand that rule when you are coming through the neutral zone or going for a loose puck. Marchand had time to know what he was doing and delivered an unsafe hit on a player in a vulnerable position. It was reckless and dirty and deserves to be suspended. Considering he has been suspended once this season and fined for a slew-foot he is a two time offender and should br treated as such. I say he gets similar to Carcillo with 7 games.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 08:34 AM
guitar7777
Rookie User

I know that you are a passionate hockey fan, but what Ballard and Hamhuis do to give there teams advantages in the play, is entirely clean as long as they perform a hip check on a player that is aware of it coming. Your allowed to Hip check someone when they are facing you but when a player has their number facing you, that is very cheap. It is cheap because it is another example of a player taking advantage of a helpless player who did not put himself in a vulnerable position, He was just putting himself in a great position to land a clean shoulder check to Marchand. Marchand shouldn't of fear'd Salo, since Salo is not a dirty player. He is a very clean Finnish Defenseman. Marchand has performed clean hip checks in the past and borderline ones, when he hip checked Daniel Sedin in the boards, which was a potential injury causing play, which had some intent in it. I think that he deserves a talking to by Shannahan and also a 5 game suspension for his negligence to comply with the rules of the game. He is a repeat offender and somehow he is playing to injure good players. He needs to be taught a lesson by another player, hopefully pushed into his own bench by a Canuck or Flyer player.

guitar7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 09:10 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
I love Montreal fans... They never overreact to anything.
The guy is making a career out of being a dirty player. You don't think that should be stopped?

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 09:11 AM
sniper515

should be 5-7 games

sniper515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 09:36 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Double digits and for the season next time, the puke is a repeat offender with his cheap shots.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:28 AM
BlackNgold 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyPnOtiK View Post
I hate Marchand..... I put him in the Cooke category... But this is not suspension worthy, the dude was just trying to avoid a hit, he wasn't intending Injury to salo, did he bridge him? Yes... Was it a 5 min penalty? Arguably, but I say yes. Suspension? No. If salo isn't hurt here no one is even thinking about a suspension, or a 5 min major.
the cooke category? he's purposefully hit dudes in the knees and illegal head shots for over 10 years? ya i didn't think so. He's a rat and gets under peoples skin and he crosses lines. Besides salos concussion which he didn't target the head he hasn't hurt anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
Why? If you can admit that the hits are the same, why should they be treated differently?
Because its the bruins and they won the cup. Also people don't like the style of bruins play.. you know.. the tough hockey team that wins games and wins a good amount of the fights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitric View Post
I could care less if Marchand gets a suspension or not. Whatever happens, happens. He plays on the edge and is a huge agitator and will one day get his ass beat by someone who decided to stick up for their own teammates, which most teams don't seem to understand the concept of.

What is the real strange thing here, is not that Marchand possibly threw a dirty hit, is the complete meltdown of 90% of posters when anything has to do with the Bruins.

Hits like these happen, whether they are right or not. There have been some dirty hits this season, and as long as it is commited by a player not on the Bruins, the threads get maybe 200 comments and fade away. If it is a Bruin, there are part 3 and 4's of threads, dozens of polls about the hit, people crying left and right. It's so weird.

It's too bad that none of the golden boys on your own teams haven't figured out that if they don't like something the Bruins are doing, they can,you know, ****ing DO something about it. (This does not include crying to the media).

No **** right.. I think us bruins fans should just go onto every thread of those hits and just start doing saying ******** to get the thread counts up. Its pretty funny actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
It's not weird. The Bruins throw more borderline and dirty hits than any other team in the league. This reputation didn't just come out of nowhere.

Anyways, I would love to see Shanny make a statement...Give him 5 games, and tell him that the next dirty hit he throws, regardless of the severity, will have him miss the rest of the season and playoffs. The guy is still young, his behaviour can be modified. Look at Downie...Gets a 25 game suspension in his first exhibition game, and his dirty play steadily decreased after that.
he'll get 4-5 games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Really? I'm not going to say that is a clean hit by any means, however this is not a game after Marchand did his silly lowbridge act on Daniel Sedin (again does not make it right).

However, there are 3 differences.

1. It was not deemed to be clipping
2. It was not interference
3. There was no malicious intent (/Raymond doesn't have a history)

If Raymond had clipped a Bruin, while neither of them had control of the puck and clearly had the intention of flipping him.. then Raymond should get 5+
So you're deflecting.. ok.. he deserves a suspension but don't tell me this is "dirtiest" hit or anything like that like the rest of your brethren.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
The point is, he WAS injured, thus these thread and a suspension is fully warrented.

While going low is "dirty" that's not exactly what makes Marchands hit dirty. It's a combination of a couple things.

1. Neither player had the puck so it was an interference play
2. Marchand faked into a shoulder-to-shoulder contact then ducked low
3. He went low
4. A player was injured on a illegal hockey play

Also personally I think another thing that should be taken into consideration is the fact the two went shoulder-to-shoulder 15 seconds before on a normal hockey play, Marchand got mad that he lost the puck and was jabbing at Salo and the next time they re-engaged he pulled this stunt.
Okay so he should be suspended because of injury? i think the act should be suspendable and ballard did the samething. And the bruin that was hit wasn't a freaking gingerbread man so he didn't get hurt. So automatically doesn't get him suspended?

Quote:
Shh don't bring reason into this man.. you're clearly a bruins fan.. rawwrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
The guy is making a career out of being a dirty player. You don't think that should be stopped?
Ya.. just the dirty hits.. not his play that has brought him from the 4th line to 2nd line and he's over a 20 goal scorer. Nah he's just a goon.... Stop acting like you wouldn't take him on your team... oh wait you guys have gomez.

Last edited by TMI: 01-09-2012 at 01:29 PM. Reason: flaming
BlackNgold 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:37 AM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanHortonFan View Post
(...)

Julien has gone of record to say he wants his players to protect themselves however necessary pretty much. And I agree, as a Bruins fan, Bruins players >> other player when it comes to concussions; better them than us. Especially after such devastating ones as we've dealt with between Bergeron and Savard, especially.
Self-pity does not suit you well.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:53 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNgold 84 View Post
Funny thing is that i can admit when players on the bruins do dirty hits or should get suspended. Like Marchand will and should get suspended. You said Ott was a good player and wasn't dirty. It was not grasping at straws this is what you said. I then showed you 3 different vids were he was shown to be dirty as all hell and you predictably didn't give me a response.
Ott is a good player and anyone who says otherwise is clueless. Ott has had a few idiotic issues in his career. Ott has played in 526 games over 9 seasons and you find 3 videos of his stupid moments?

Old
01-09-2012, 11:57 AM
BlackNgold 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony Eriksson View Post
Ott is a good player and anyone who says otherwise is clueless. Ott has had a few idiotic issues in his career. Ott has played in 526 games over 9 seasons and you find 3 videos of his stupid moments?
He's got more than 3 instances.. dude he's up there with avery, lapierre, and Cooke as one of the hated players in the league. Theres a reason for that. Greats he's played 9 seasons I don't have his numbers on me but he's what.. at best a 3rd line guy who is a rat. He's done worse hits than marchand has but nah.. just be like the rest and put marchand on this pedestal of dirty players.

Old
01-09-2012, 12:35 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
He's got more than 3 instances.. dude he's up there with avery, lapierre, and Cooke as one of the hated players in the league. Theres a reason for that. Greats he's played 9 seasons I don't have his numbers on me but he's what.. at best a 3rd line guy who is a rat. He's done worse hits than marchand has but nah.. just be like the rest and put marchand on this pedestal of dirty players.
Ott is hated because he gets under players skins and makes them take stupid retaliation penalties. Ott is better than a 3rd line player on a lot of teams.

Old
01-09-2012, 12:40 PM
BlackNgold 84

Quote:
Ott is hated because he gets under players skins and makes them take stupid retaliation penalties. Ott is better than a 3rd line player on a lot of teams.
His best two seasons are 19 and 22 goals.. he's gotten well over 150 penalty minutes in 4 or 5 of those seasons if not more. He's hated because hes dirty.. The cooke comparison was a bit much I'll admit that. But he's avery but begs his way of fights with legitimate heavyweights.

Old
01-09-2012, 12:56 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
5+ games... oh wait hes a bruin ummm fine or 1 game max.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:04 PM
patty59

Where's the: No, not even a penalty, clean hip check option?

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
His best two seasons are 19 and 22 goals.. he's gotten well over 150 penalty minutes in 4 or 5 of those seasons if not more. He's hated because hes dirty.. The cooke comparison was a bit much I'll admit that. But he's avery but begs his way of fights with legitimate heavyweights.
Ott is not a heavyweight so why fight them when you can lure them into doing something stupid and put your team on the PP? Perry has avg. over 110 PIM a year so what are you trying to say? A player that has 150+ PIM's a year and can still chip in 20 goals a season is pretty rare.

Old
01-09-2012, 01:08 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
Where's the: No, not even a penalty, clean hip check option?
On the Bruins forum!

Old
01-09-2012, 01:12 PM
BlackNgold 84

Quote:
Ott is not a heavyweight so why fight them when you can lure them into doing something stupid and put your team on the PP? Perry has avg. over 110 PIM a year so what are you trying to say? A player that has 150+ PIM's a year and can still chip in 20 goals a season is pretty rare.
Thats his ceiling.. and he's a rat of course hes not gonna fight more.. he's also a coward.

Last edited by TMI: 01-09-2012 at 01:30 PM. Reason: unnecessary
Old
01-09-2012, 01:13 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
LOL

Have you ever played hockey before? That's not Marchand's ice. It wasn't a simple hipcheck.

It deserves a suspension for sure (and I'm an Oilers fan who hates the Canucks).

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Tubby Tuke
Drafting my Overalls

Not unless they start suspending Ballard and anyone who throws a low hipcheck.

Tubby Tuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:31 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

There are a few of you who need to cut the flaming and trolling out or you will be removed from the thread.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Biggiemac95*

Salo should be suspended for throwing the stick afterwards.

Biggiemac95* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:44 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

vCash: 50
So reading around here, an enraged Salo was 'charging in' to make a 'dirty and dangerous play', coming to 'take his head off', so Marchand was simply 'defending himself with a perfect, textbook, clean hipcheck'?

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote